Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Well, there was an incident... I did something that under normal circumstances wouldn't have caused any problems, but there's been stress and it had gotten really cramped and some were sleep deprived and so there was an ... altercation. It was suggested I move to live with landlord's brother who has an extra room and who doesn't have kids living with him 24/7 (he lives in a neighboring building). I wasn't at all happy with this but staying would made everything worse. I've been here for 3 weeks, I believe. I haven't spoken to my friend since. I have no idea if she's embarrassed at how things escalated or if she's p*ssed off with me or what. I'm not ready to contact her. I first want to move out of this place and start the next chapter, living all on my own! And then we'll see if things can be sorted between us. It'll take a bit of time.

It's been really stressful!

Oh, that's horrible. Poor you.   :empathy:   I do hope you can sort things out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Na'ah! I will only admit to inspiring and cultivating your reading tastes, and broadening your horizons, and therefore you started buying more and more books the subsequent years :cool::giggle::D

Pfft! OK, if that's the story you want to tell... :P

Packing the rest of my stuff... Everything needs to be done today because tomorrow morning we'll be doing the actual move. 

Just to let you know that I've not yet remembered/managed/had the time to sort out access to internet in the new apartment, so if you don't hear from me for a while, it's just that I'm offline. Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon! 

Hello from Helsinki! :D Am sitting here in the kitchen, waiting for food to cook. We started the move in time, and we got everything in the van in 30 minutes :o Then drove to Helsinki, and got everything out of the van and in my apartment in maybe 40 minutes. It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes in total! :o It was really fast. 

Didn't get much sleep last night, was too excited, and also nervous about forgetting something... Almost forgot my bike :D I'm so tired! But happy! There's this really nice park right next to where I live, and I went and sat there for a while, just to get out of my head. Oh boy! And already met two dogs from the building, and two cats! 

Wow, fantastic Sari! Well done, maybe we will see some pics at some point? Cool that you've seen dogs and cats already, what sort of dogs were they, were they friendly? :)

When I find my camera... :D I'm def going to take pics. The dogs seemed friendly, they were trying to have a look in my apartment :D The owners didn't seem friendly though so I didn't try to make friends yet. They were poodle type dogs. 

Oh and guess what :D I went into a nearby shop to get some groceries and on my way back I spotted a secondhand bookshop...  :doh:   It's maybe 100 meters from my place! :giggle2: This is not going to be good.... I wish it was the library that was so close! That would be cheaper... :D 

Having a celebratory cider, and now I've dusted the bookcase and will start shelving my books! :D I haven't even unpacked my clothes yet, the books are more important :D 

(So odd to hear the tram going by... We only have trams in Helsinki, we didn't have them in Espoo, so this is totally weird!)

Ooh, it all sounds so exciting!! I can't believe there's a bookshop so close to you, and the park sounds lovely. Can't wait to see pics!! I'm glad the move went smoothly. :)

The park's gorgeous! When I wikied my part of town, it said that most of the area is recreational/park. :D I don't remember if I've told you guys already, but the biggest amusement park in Finland, and the one I always used to go to during my trips to Helsinki, is right next to me :D It's called Linnanmäki.

I wish you could come and visit me! :wub::friends3:   You could and totally should take your Mom with! I have a wide bed and a sofa and an extra mattress so there's plenty to go around! :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

I'm a bit envious, I confess. The world should have more trams and parks.

Are there no trams in Minho? I'm afraid my knowledge of Portugal is lacking :blush: But I'm pretty sure yours is a lot warmer place to live in, and I wouldn't mind that sometimes! So the envy can go both ways... :D How big a place is Minho? I'm from a very small town myself, originally :) 

Are there no trams in Minho? I'm afraid my knowledge of Portugal is lacking :blush: But I'm pretty sure yours is a lot warmer place to live in, and I wouldn't mind that sometimes! So the envy can go both ways... :D How big a place is Minho? I'm from a very small town myself, originally :)

Minho is a small region, but a very good one; the northwesternmost of Portugal. It's like those mediterranean provinces lost in time one might find in films, with the ups and downs it entails (although it's an atlantic province). It has plenty to visit (a national park, mountains, beaches, monuments and a castle, rural villages), great food (this I'll miss the most) and it's relatively cheap. If I'm not mistaken, there's a fan of the local wine in the forum (at least I saw it mentioned somewhere). It also has an identifiable folklore and a strong sense of its own culture and traditions, with several fairs and events that come from centuries ago. I'm actually impressed, in the way that everywhere I travelled to I found something from back home. What about where you come from?

Edited by woolf woolf

Congrats on a successful movie, Sari!!  Sounds like it was the best kind, too, smooth and fast!  I'm sorry the stay at your friends' ended on a sour note.  Hopefully with time you two will be able to talk!

Are you going to be working somewhere close by?  If not it's great you have the tram near you.  Maybe you could work at the used book shop! :D :D

Oh, that's horrible. Poor you.   :empathy:   I do hope you can sort things out.

I hope so, too. The friend is the one I've known the longest. We actually met at the maternity ward, she was born a day later than I was :D It's a bit odd at the moment... When I went to get the few things I'd left behind this weekend, she wasn't as distant as she was when the incident had just happened and all was out in the air. She helped me pack stuff and we laughed at things, but I don't know... I think we need to address the subject at some point. I'm more annoyed with her husband. 

Pfft! OK, if that's the story you want to tell... :P

That's the story I'll be telling my grandchildren and everyone who will listen! :lol: 

Minho is a small region, but a very good one; the northwesternmost of Portugal. It's like those mediterranean provinces lost in time one might find in films, with the ups and downs it entails (although it's an atlantic province). It has plenty to visit (a national park, mountains, beaches, monuments and a castle, rural villages), great food (this I'll miss the most) and it's relatively cheap. If I'm not mistaken, there's a fan of the local wine in the forum (at least I saw it mentioned somewhere). It also has an identifiable folklore and a strong sense of its own culture and traditions, with several fairs and events that come from centuries ago. I'm actually impressed, in the way that everywhere I travelled to I found something from back home. What about where you come from?

Oh my gosh, it sounds so idyllic! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place and to be from where you are :) We don't have a lot of old buildings here in Finland, we aren't very historic in that respect. And we don't have mountains or castles... But ours is the land of more than 10,000 lakes, at least :smile2: 

Congrats on a successful movie, Sari!!  Sounds like it was the best kind, too, smooth and fast!  I'm sorry the stay at your friends' ended on a sour note.  Hopefully with time you two will be able to talk!

Are you going to be working somewhere close by?  If not it's great you have the tram near you.  Maybe you could work at the used book shop! :D :D

I'll work wherever I can! Meaning, I'm looking for a job and I'll take what I can get :D Keep your fingers crossed...

This is my third night in my new apartment. I love how much there's closet and shelf space. The bookcase is huge! There are empty spaces in it... Which one might take to mean that one could buy more books to fill in the spaces.. But one shouldn't... :giggle: I shan't!

So odd to be living in Helsinki. There was a time in my life when I was curious about it and wanted to live here, but that was more than 10 years ago. 

Oh my gosh, it sounds so idyllic! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place and to be from where you are :) We don't have a lot of old buildings here in Finland, we aren't very historic in that respect. And we don't have mountains or castles... But ours is the land of more than 10,000 lakes, at least :smile2:

Finland seems a great place to live at the moment. It's admirable, considering that it's a very young, independent country. The resources might not be so many as well, but about that I'm taking a wild guess.

Remembered now of something cool. The first portuguese flag:

360px-PortugueseFlag1095.svg.png

Edited by woolf woolf

I'll work wherever I can! Meaning, I'm looking for a job and I'll take what I can get :D Keep your fingers crossed...

Hmm... sounds exactly like where I live! :lol:

post-8818-0-44565900-1443616773_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed for you and a job!  All good things come to those who wait ;)

Finland seems a great place to live at the moment. It's admirable, considering that it's a very young, independent country. The resources might not be so many as well, but about that I'm taking a wild guess.

I do like Finland :yes: I'm partial to all the Nordic countries and I don't know if I'd ever want to live anywhere else, at least for a longer period of time. 

Remembered now of something cool. The first portuguese flag:

360px-PortugueseFlag1095.svg.png

That's so funny, and cool about the flag! :lol: I had no idea! 

Hmm... sounds exactly like where I live! :lol:

attachicon.gifplate.jpg

Yep, MN and FIN be peas in the same po(n)d :D 

Oh congratulations on the move Frankie. I'm glad it went smoothly. Enjoy your new pad :)

Thanks! I've been enjoying the peace and quiet, but I have to say, I've not yet fully managed to relax. It's just that I feel like somebody's going to come soon and tell me I need to move away, or that I'll be getting a flatmate. That was my life for 13 months and it's easy to shake off. My living situation turned upside down every 2-3 months, and it's like I'd just gotten used to the way things were when there was some other new development and things changed again. 

I haven't even dared get rid of the banana boxes because I feel like I will need them soon enough. :unsure: Even though I know I have 10 full months!! It's going to take a bit of time to get out of the old mindset...

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm having a dilemma with the bookcase. I don't know in which order to put my books! There are smaller sections and bigger sections to the bookcase, and as much as I like the look of it, it does mean that I can't organize the books in just which ever way or alphabetically. I need to take the size of each book into consideration. I'd also like to do something new and different: arrange a section with TBR and non-TBR. But that would feel very cut-throat :blush::D It's like I'd divide the books into two camps and they were each other's enemies :unsure: 

Before the move, I binned my book box :blush: But I made one again. Didn't take as much time with fewer titles now... :giggle2: 

I'm also wondering if I should dedicate a particular shelf for books I want to read in the next month or so. 

Edited by frankie

#60. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

From the book cover: Sara is 28 and has never been outside Sweden - except in the (many) books she reads. 

When her elderly penfriend Amy invites her to come and visit her in Broken Wheel, Iowa, Sara decides it's time. But when she arrives, there's a twist waiting for her - Amy has died. Finding herself utterly alone in a dead woman's house in the middle of nowhere was not the holiday Sara had in mind. 

But Sara discovers that she is not exactly alone. For here in this town so broken it's almost beyond repair are all the people she's come to know through Amy's letters: poor George, fierce Grace, buttoned-up Caroline and Amy's guarded nephew Tom. 

Sara quickly realises that Broken Wheel is in desperate need of some adventure, a dose of self-help and perhaps a little romance, too. In short, this is a town in need of a bookshop. 

Thoughts: Penfriendship and books? I'll read it :D I started this quite a long time ago, I've been reading the book for two weeks. It's because of all the hassle with moving to a new flat etc. Had I been able to read this in a few days, I might've felt more strongly about it. Now I feel like I opened a bottle of carbonated soda, and it was good for a while, but then as the bottle was open for too long, all the bubbles have gone and it's flat and there's only a hint of the taste you had to begin with. 

I did enjoy the novel, but I thought it was somewhat predictable. I got what was promised in the synopsis but not much more. When one's already read a few hundred books in one's lifetime, one is expecting there to be more to the story than just what it says on the book cover...  I fear this might be one of those easily forgettable novels for me. 

3/5