Frankie reads 2015

frankie

They do! It's just baffling, the stuff they have!

Have you seen it in action? I find them completely fascinating!

Oh. Um... We've switched back to Finnish mark. Yes. We don't use euros anymore. 

:giggle:

I nearly believed you for a moment...Nice try! :P

1996! 

Hehe, soon you'll be sucked in! Geddit? :blush::lol: Sucked in!! (I love the idea of smoothies and juices! If you come up with great recipes, do tell! :))

*Groan*

Actually, I found a few books on my TBR that I read last year but forgot to cross off, so the total came down to 1993, and now it's 1991 because I've read two books. :)

Speaking of books and books lists, I forgot to mention that I've copied your idea of including pics for my challenges, if that's OK. I made sure I chose a different 'Rory reading' picture for that challenge, but I hope you don't mind that I chose the same image as you for the 1001 challenge because I also own that copy of the book and I'm pretty sure it's the first one that was published (also, it has a nicer cover than my other edition).

I've been thinking of starting a new health/fitness thread to track my progress with the smoothies etc. If I do, I'll include my recipes there. :)

You know, I was also thinking about a priority books book jar. But I'm not sure... I think you should go for that one. Imagine if you wrote down 50 book titles per day, you'd spend... many days writing those titles down!

Yes, I'll definitely do that. I'm sold on the book jar idea. It looks like so much fun! But I think I'll be lazy and type out my books and then print the list. Actually, I won't even have to do much typing because I've already made my priority lists, so I can just copy and format them properly in Word and then print them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you still got a balcony? .. you could threaten to throw it from there :D

Great idea! Too bad there's snow on the ground at the moment... The jar might not get too intimidated... But it's warm, it'll melt :devcat::D

354 is seriously hardcore .. you'll probably get wrist ache. Work up to it .. do a few a day :D  There were some titles I had to force myself to write down :D They'll be out first I have no doubt.

Two a day, that would take ages :D Well, not even a year, ha. But there are books I won't be writing down. Some non-fiction, that is. Like, The Introduction to Psychology, which is a big ass book.

It's going to be really interesting to see what comes up from the jar :D I'm starting to dread this... :D I wonder what yours will come up with next, too! 

Have you seen it in action? I find them completely fascinating!

I haven't seen the library one in action, but they used one on the BB show and I watched it on telly and it was fascinating :yes: 

I nearly believed you for a moment...Nice try! 

What do you mean nice try? :shrug: It's true! 

:giggle2: 

Actually, I found a few books on my TBR that I read last year but forgot to cross off, so the total came down to 1993, and now it's 1991 because I've read two books. 

Hey, well done! :smile2: (I love it that your TBR is in the 90s :wub:)

Speaking of books and books lists, I forgot to mention that I've copied your idea of including pics for my challenges, if that's OK. I made sure I chose a different 'Rory reading' picture for that challenge, but I hope you don't mind that I chose the same image as you for the 1001 challenge because I also own that copy of the book and I'm pretty sure it's the first one that was published (also, it has a nicer cover than my other edition).

That's totally OK with me, of course!  :friends3:  I have to go and see which Rory pic you chose! :cool: 

I've been thinking of starting a new health/fitness thread to track my progress with the smoothies etc. If I do, I'll include my recipes there. 

I've been thinking about doing one, too! :o Maybe I'll just follow yours :)

Yes, I'll definitely do that. I'm sold on the book jar idea. It looks like so much fun! But I think I'll be lazy and type out my books and then print the list. Actually, I won't even have to do much typing because I've already made my priority lists, so I can just copy and format them properly in Word and then print them.

Hey, it's not lazy, it's convenient and so why should you not do it the way you want! I only wish I could do it on a computer.. Might actually get it done before the end of the year :D 

I'm thinking about doing the TBR book jar thing. The one Brian came up with. I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea! :smile2:

The thing is, what with moving to a new city and discovering the amazing book selection of the southern Finland libraries, I've not touched a TBR book in ages :( That makes me sad. I have a lot of great books on the shelves, ones I've been wanting to read for ages, but nothing happens when I'm forever reserving new books from the library and hauling them in and concentrating on getting them finished. 

I think I should at least try reading one TBR book per each library book I read. And that's where the book jar could come in handy. I'm still going to go for a particular book off the shelf if the mood hits me, but if I don't fancy anything particular, I could try the book jar. 

How large is your TBR? It took me some time to do make mine up and I only had 100 or so books to add.

How large is your TBR? It took me some time to do make mine up and I only had 100 or so books to add.

354 :blush: But I'm not going to add all of them, I'm going to skip some non-fiction. Luckily though I still write quite a bit with a pen (and not only on the keyboard) so at least that won't slow me down. 

How long did it take you, then? I hope not too long :blush: 

It's done! The TBR is in the Book Jar! Wanna see a picture? Well... I didn't have any jars. So I got a box instead. "Mix for the raw homemade chocolate" box :D It's empty. It was ex flatmate's. Is now mine. 

post-4458-0-84576100-1421423540_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-29631700-1421423715_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to see what the box comes up with the first time, but I'm in the middle of a book. And I'm also kind of scared of the box :blush:  :hide:

Yay!! .. I have won the eBay auction *takes bow*. Which means I have the first, third and last of the Malory Towers books or will have when they get here :) Might be problematic getting the rest but it's a start. Actually I saw the whole set yesterday for a very reasonable price but they'd only just come on and I'd already thrown my lot in with this one .. never mind .. there's always something better coming around the corner .. I expect Alan thinks that  :blush2:  :D 

Can't wait to start now and I think we definitely should arrange a midnight feast at some point  :D Bit tricky as our midnight's are not all the same but we should be able to figure something  :smile: 

It's done! The TBR is in the Book Jar! Wanna see a picture? Well... I didn't have any jars. So I got a box instead. "Mix for the raw homemade chocolate" box :D It's empty. It was ex flatmate's. Is now mine.

I can't wait to see what the box comes up with the first time, but I'm in the middle of a book. And I'm also kind of scared of the box :blush:  :hide:

Ooh .. that didn't take you long .. bet that box smells lovely :D Hope it is kind to you :hug: Look forward to finding out what the box decides :D Take your courage in both hands!

Oooooh, that's awesome news about the books! :exc:  :b7ydance:  Wohoo! Do you have any idea as to when you might be expected to get them in the mail? Poor postie... :D It's a shame you noticed the whole set yesterday and could've gone for that had you not already bid on the other books on ebay, but... Like you said, it is what it is now and you are going to have the first book soon, and you can then start looking for the rest if you wish :)

And guess what. Today I went to check my library account and the MT bookset is already on its way to me! :D Wohoo! What are the odds. Midnight feast, here we come! I don't mind taking the bullet for the team and starting already at my midnight and continuing till it's midnight around you guys's corners in the world :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

Ooh .. that didn't take you long .. bet that box smells lovely :D Hope it is kind to you :hug: Look forward to finding out what the box decides :D Take your courage in both hands!

It doesn't smell of anything except for the cardboard :( And I now have a huge hankering for chocolate :rolleyes: I might have to buy some. Luckily it's Friday and I get a treat for being a good girl this week! :giggle2: 

Oh my, what have I started???!!! I only suggested a mini read-a-long, and it's now a juggernaut! :giggle2:  I love this place :smile2:

I've just finished a book, and was putting it back on the shelf, and spotted my MT book, and had to drag myself away to stop myself reading it now  :D 

Juggernaut :D Well things sometimes escalate when it comes to books... :lol:  Well done on resisting the temptation! It won't be long now, me thinks :smile2: 

In the meantime I went to the library and got four books. I was first looking at the 'returned today' shelf and noticed a familiar title, something I knew I had on my wishlist: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. But I can't remember how it got on my wishlist. Someone's recommendation?

Then I got the books that had arrived for me, reserved books: Orange Is the New Black (the Finnish version. I didn't have time to read the original one because there were so many reservations for it :blush:), A Dog's Life by Martin Clunes (:lol:) and Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver (which sounds like a great thriller!). 

Marie, is this a part of the show? Is Martin Clunes the narrator? Will he ever actually show his face? And show us his dogs? :blush:

Oooh I found this, too!

I think I had seen both programmes, definitely A Man and His Dog :yes:  

YES!! .. LET'S HAVE ONE!!  :D  :exc:

:jump: Ohhh, lots of cake !!!!!

Aww, I loved the Mallory Towers books.  :D

I've never read MT, but I'm requesting The Early Years at Malory Towers: 3 Books in 1 from the library - but they are so popular that I'm in a queue of 2. I thought they would be so old fashioned by now, but someone reads them. Maybe it's older readers who are nostalgia, and are remembering being young again :giggle:  .

It's done! The TBR is in the Book Jar! Wanna see a picture? Well... I didn't have any jars. So I got a box instead. "Mix for the raw homemade chocolate" box It's empty. It was ex flatmate's. Is now mine. 

The All-Knowing Book Vessel  :giggle2:  

Yay!! .. I have won the eBay auction *takes bow*. Which means I have the first, third and last of the Malory Towers books or will have when they get here  

I'm thinking of getting the ebook of The Early Years at Malory Towers: 3 Books in 1, as the ones in the library are 'on loan', and 

.most of the MT books are on request too, so they are very popular :smile:

And guess what. Today I went to check my library account and the MT bookset is already on its way to me!  Wohoo!

Yay for Malory Towers  :D

Midnight feast, here we come! I don't mind taking the bullet for the team and starting already at my midnight and continuing till it's midnight around you guys's corners in the world

Don't eat too much cake frankie  :D . This a real snowball effect with the MT books. Oh, I've got some Tunnocks Snowballs, they would be great for a midnight feast. Dessicated coconut and chocolate coating, and gooey marshmallow - what a hoot if that came in contact with the bedsheets!! :giggle2:  

It was far greater a novel than I ever dared to expect, I'm so happy to have come across the thread on here, and have people recommend Lamb's books to me! I want to read more books by him but I'm not sure where to start. 

I hope you get to the book soon! I read in the Book Activity thread that your current read is long and slow, but you like it slow because you want to savour it, and I had to restrain myself from telling you to hurry up... :blush::giggle2:

:lol:  As you know now, I've started it. I'm hoping to get a fair bit of reading done this weekend as I want to have a lazy one. :lol:  I'm up to Part Two now, and it's like reading it for the first time as there's so much I have forgotten.

So glad you have enjoyed it. The only other book I have read by him is I Know This Much Is True, which I think I enjoyed more, but it is a far chunkier novel.

Hey, well done! :smile2: (I love it that your TBR is in the 90s :wub:)

When (I was going to say 'if', but I'm feeling determined!) I get my TBR pile down to the 1980s, I'm going to have to read 10 really short books really quickly. I don't want to get stuck in the 1980s. Ew!  :negative:

Yay! It's pretty :D. I hope it will pick you some awesome books.

Hey, it's not lazy, it's convenient and so why should you not do it the way you want! I only wish I could do it on a computer.. Might actually get it done before the end of the year :D

Actually, if you have a list of your books on the computer, on GoodReads, or digitally in one way or another that would be possible (if each book has a number). All my books have an index number in Book Collector for example, and I just google 'random number generator' and it would do a similar trick :).

I once started to code a program that would do this for me (I posted about it on the forum too). Coding the random number generator isn't that hard, but I had trouble how to give the program the list and in what format and which options and such (like.. I wanted to select paperbooks only and then it'd just pick from my paperbooks etc. or only specific genres.) I never finished coding the program but I still have the code and files.

In the meantime I went to the library and got four books. I was first looking at the 'returned today' shelf and noticed a familiar title, something I knew I had on my wishlist: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. But I can't remember how it got on my wishlist. Someone's recommendation?

Then I got the books that had arrived for me, reserved books: Orange Is the New Black (the Finnish version. I didn't have time to read the original one because there were so many reservations for it :blush:), A Dog's Life by Martin Clunes ( :lol:) and Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver (which sounds like a great thriller!).

I hope you enjoy your newly arrived books :)!

I loved Malory Towers when I was young(er), I dread to think how many times I read them.. Over and over! I wish my parents had kept them for me, or indeed any of my books (not one!!!) They have always been vociferous readers so I don't quite understand why not. I have kept loads of my kids books so that I can share them, hopefully, with grandchildren at some point. Maddie and I read the Malory Towers series together a few years ago and she really liked them too which was lovely, but they are rather dated now and some of the activities and expressions did make her raise her eyebrows more that once!

I think I had seen both programmes, definitely A Man and His Dog

I really really want to watch it! :smile2: But I first want to read Martin Clunes's book, I borrowed it from the library a few days ago. Oh wait, I think I already posted about that :D

Ohhh, lots of cake !!!!!

Could it be cheesecake, please?! :blush: Nom nom... Can anyone make a calorie-free cheesecake??

I've never read MT, but I'm requesting The Early Years at Malory Towers: 3 Books in 1 from the library - but they are so popular that I'm in a queue of 2. I thought they would be so old fashioned by now, but someone reads them. Maybe it's older readers who are nostalgia, and are remembering being young again 

I love it when people go back to their childhood favorites. And it might be that someone's borrowed the book for their child, trying to turn them into fans, too :giggle2: Book missionaries!

I'm thinking of getting the ebook of The Early Years at Malory Towers: 3 Books in 1, as the ones in the library are 'on loan', and 

.most of the MT books are on request too, so they are very popular.

Did you already get the e-book?

Don't eat too much cake frankie . This a real snowball effect with the MT books. Oh, I've got some Tunnocks Snowballs, they would be great for a midnight feast. Dessicated coconut and chocolate coating, and gooey marshmallow - what a hoot if that came in contact with the bedsheets!!

I promise I won't eat too much cake :D I'll try my best! I love these sorts of snowball effects. I love it when something like this happens, rather unexpectedly and randomly. This place is great and I love the people on here!

Tunnocks Snowballs... I'm sure we have a thread for some Tunnocks product on here, the name is familiar! Hm, I can't find it. I think it was about teacakes...?

As you know now, I've started it. I'm hoping to get a fair bit of reading done this weekend as I want to have a lazy one.   I'm up to Part Two now, and it's like reading it for the first time as there's so much I have forgotten.

I can't wait until you get this one bit in the second part, at that place where Dolores is. And I'm so thrilled that you've already read loads of stuff you didn't remember happening! :D

So glad you have enjoyed it. The only other book I have read by him is I Know This Much Is True, which I think I enjoyed more, but it is a far chunkier novel.

That's the one I really want to read. I was going through some of Lamb's novels (didn't get through all of them, I was distracted by something) and IKTMIT is the one I want to read next. And I really don't mind it being longer, because I could've read more of Dolores!

I've just realized what Tunnocks Snowballs must be! Oh man I love those! :D They are called something else in Finnish, not snowballs. This is not politically correct, but

they were called Negro's Kisses over here. And people still call them that. But some years ago someone was offended by the name and they were changed into Brunberg's Kisses (according to the brand that had been making them for years and years). Wikipedia tells me that the earlier Finnish name originated from the German name for it. And it was already back in 2001 that it was changed to Brunberg's Kisses. 

When (I was going to say 'if', but I'm feeling determined!) I get my TBR pile down to the 1980s, I'm going to have to read 10 really short books really quickly. I don't want to get stuck in the 1980s. Ew!

WHEN! :yes: Hehe, do you know what you could do? When you get to TBR 1990, you could start reading 11 books and read them till you were only one page away from finishing each and every one of them. Not finishing one of them before you were on the last page on the others, too. Then you'd just read the last pages of those 11 books and tadaa, you're in the 70s, you gorgeous hippy chick :D 

Woohoo, another box/jar of randomness.

Thank you so much for the idea, I think it's going to be a fun year! :D I love the randomness of it. Picking up a book I wouldn't have otherwise considered picking up just yet. 

Well, let's see how long I will love the idea... I still haven't needed to pick one from the 'jar' :lol: 

Yay! It's pretty. I hope it will pick you some awesome books.

Thanks! Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed :smile2:

Actually, if you have a list of your books on the computer, on GoodReads, or digitally in one way or another that would be possible (if each book has a number). All my books have an index number in Book Collector for example, and I just google 'random number generator' and it would do a similar trick.

I once started to code a program that would do this for me (I posted about it on the forum too). Coding the random number generator isn't that hard, but I had trouble how to give the program the list and in what format and which options and such (like.. I wanted to select paperbooks only and then it'd just pick from my paperbooks etc. or only specific genres.) I never finished coding the program but I still have the code and files.

That's a good idea in itself, and would've saved me time and trouble, but I quite like it that the book titles are on pieces of paper and I get to physically pick one. :) There's something very appealing in that. Old school romanticism :blush:

My Malory Towers books have arrived .. hoorah!! :D So nice to see old friends again  :blush2: 

So have mine, they arrived yesterday but I didn't know about that until today because the library's website was under construction or something and I couldn't get in to see if they'd arrived already. How funny is it that we received the books on the same day! :D 

I think we're ready to start when Marie has a copy...? Or have I forgotten someone else! 

I loved Malory Towers when I was young(er), I dread to think how many times I read them.. Over and over! I wish my parents had kept them for me, or indeed any of my books (not one!!!) They have always been vociferous readers so I don't quite understand why not. I have kept loads of my kids books so that I can share them, hopefully, with grandchildren at some point. Maddie and I read the Malory Towers series together a few years ago and she really liked them too which was lovely, but they are rather dated now and some of the activities and expressions did make her raise her eyebrows more that once!

It's sad that your parents didn't keep the books for you :(  :empathy:   They would've been such a treasure! Maybe they had a good reason and just didn't think what they were doing when they got rid of them. I'm quite positive they didn't do it in spite! 

I'm really happy that you have taken the opposite route and are saving your kids' books. That's something I really, really appreciate and I'm sure your kids will, too, in the future! And yes, who knows, if there might be some new young 'uns to show the books to... :wub: 

Do you fancy a re-read with us by any chance? :smile2: 

Same here .. I read mine until they almost fell apart. I wish too they'd been kept .. I wonder if they're actually still alive in the world or whether they were sent to the refuse dump or something :( I used to put my name in them so of course I looked straight at these newly acquired copies to see if they .. in some serendipitatious type way :D .. were my old copies but alas no :( They do smell rather wonderfully of the seventies though :blush2: My great niece reads them and quite enjoys them but like you say they are so dated now .. it's hard for modern kids to relate. 

Join us if you can Hayley  :smile: