Frankie reads 2015

frankie

#53. Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent 

This is from Amazon, with small changes I've made:

The Reader on the 6.27 explores the power of books through the lives of the people they save. It is sure to capture the hearts of book lovers everywhere.

Guylain Vignolles lives on the edge of existence. Working at a book pulping factory in a job he hates, he has but one pleasure in life . . .

Sitting on the 6.27 train each day, Guylain recites aloud from pages he has saved from the jaws of his monstrous pulping machine. And it's this release of words into the world that starts our hero on a journey that will finally bring meaning into his life.

For one morning, Guylain discovers a diary and he starts reading from these pages to a rapt audience.

The Reader on the 6.27 is a tale bursting with larger-than-life characters, each of whom touches Guylain's life for the better. This captivating novel is a warm, funny fable about literature's power to uplift even the most downtrodden of lives.

Thoughts: I picked this book up at the library simply because there was the word 'reader' in the title :D I liked the sound of the blurb, seemed like a quirky, short read (189 pages). But it was better than I'd hoped! Didierlaurent has managed to pack a lot of fascinating things into the 189 pages (I guess he's had the practice, as I believe he's mostly known for his short stories. This is his first novel.). I laughed out loud and I also got onions in my eyes when reading this book :wub: And the translator had used the word 'pompöösi', a Finnishization for 'pompous' :wub: You don't see the word 'pompöösi' used in Finnish these days, ever... It's a word that me and my ex used to use a lot, with great hilarity. 

If you like books about books, this is heartily recommended! :smile2:

4/5

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do use it if there's cause for it, but nobody ever appreciates it :(:unsure:  Maybe I don't meet enough pompöösi people to get to use the word as often as I'd like... Maybe I'll just have to find new ways in which I can slip the word in in every other conversation  :giggle:

Edit: I think people might have used it back in the old days when people were more careful with their vocabulary and were possibly more formal, but these days nobody uses it. I think it might also have to do with the fact that in Finnish you can't have words that have both 'o' and 'ö'. It's either or. Unless it's a compound word. (The same goes for 'a' and 'ä'.) Or a loanword, of course.

I think I now have to actually google the word to see what's written about it :D

Edit: Jänet, if you'd like to see what Finnish does to the word 'pompöösi', grammatically, you can take a look at this :giggle2:

Edit: One of the hits of 'pompöösi' on google led me to some Finnish forum and there was a thread about which word annoys people the most and someone had mentioned 'pompöösi' :D Poor pompöösi! Such a pompous word!! 

Edit: Because of the Finnish word rules, some people actually thought it's 'pömpöösi' in Finnish, and of course some pompöösi people then corrected them :D

Edited by frankie

I think I'm going to give the 7th challenge a try. Karen.d has inspired me! :cool:

- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - possible other read

Yahoo!  A book I've actually read!  :giggle:  I really need to start another book thread of my own to see what other books I've read or plan on reading that you have as well.

Otherwise we'll always share a love of unhealthy, cheesy, fried foods, among other things ;) LOL

#54. The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell

On the book cover: Today is Christmas Eve. Today is my birthday. Today I am fifteen. Today I buried my parents in the backyard. Neither of them were beloved. 

Frankie translates from Finnish blurb: Marnie and Nelly have a secret. Not even Lennie, the nice man next door, knows where the girls' parents have taken off, but he will do his best to help and protect the siblings. And that's what the girls need when their friends, teachers and social workers start their all too keen questioning... 

Thoughts: Again, a very random library pick. I liked the cover, and when I read the text on it, I was sold! The book was on my shelf for a long time, though, with other more pressing reads in sight. I admit, this weekend I almost took it back to the library to return without reading. But I read the text on the cover again, and was fascinated again. And so I decided to give it a go. I'm really happy that I did! 

This book has over 10,000 ratings on Goodreads, and it's average rating is 3,79. And according to Amazon, "This is the winner of the Commonwealth Book Prize 2013". And yet I've not heard of it before and when I did a search of the title on the forum, only my own reading log and the Book Activity thread in which I've mentioned the title came up. Such a shame!

This book is not for the easily disturbed. The siblings have a sinister background (through no fault of their own), which is not described all too deeply, so one's safe on that count, but their current situation gets rather graphic sometimes and that might be too much for the more sensitive readers. But somehow it doesn't make the book too depressing. I felt there was an undercurrent of hope, and there was a tiny, tiny bit of humor to the book, too. I felt I was compelled to read on. 

The story is told from three different point-of-views: both the girls' and Lennie's. It was easy enough to make the distinction because the titles of the different chapters showed whose thoughts we were tapping into. Nelly's narrative felt sometimes the most refreshing because she was the youngest of the two and her language is so colorful and rich. That girl has a vast vocabulary! 

If I had to say something negative about the novel, it would be that even though I enjoyed this set of characters and was invested in the main characters' lives and fates, I didn't fall in love with them like I did with the characters in the Atticus Craftsman novel I recently read. I guess it might have to do with the fact that I couldn't relate to any of them. Not that I always need to relate to at least one of the characters in a novel... I wouldn't, however, consider this a serious failure of the novel in any way, whatsoever. It was a really great read that I would heartily recommend! :smile2:

4/5

Edited by frankie

Yahoo!  A book I've actually read!  :giggle:  I really need to start another book thread of my own to see what other books I've read or plan on reading that you have as well.

Otherwise we'll always share a love of unhealthy, cheesy, fried foods, among other things ;) LOL

It's a Finnish copy, though! I don't know if I should read the original English one... But I would have to reserve a copy. This one I could just pick up from the library. (That is not to say that there are always copies on the bookshelves. It's more a case of people borrowing and then returning them so often, as they seem to be very popular over here at the moment :) )  I do love the Finnish covers. The English covers might be the same, I don't know... I just had to borrow the book :D I think I would have to ask a friend who's read the book in English if there's anything special in the language. I know two people who've read the book and they both probably read it in English as they are fellow English students and so they would know if it's necessary to read the books in English. 

Yeah you really need to start a log of your own!! :smile2: I demand it :D But don't forget... We share something that might be even more important than cheesy food....

2.jpg

:lol::wub:

I think you are very clever to read not only English but also Finnish!  It looks a rather complicated (but very pretty!) language.  :D

:lol: It is a complicated language, I dare say. I'm lucky that it's my native language and I haven't had to learn it as a second language :lol: I've been able to go for something a bit easier... :giggle2: Oh but it's not really about what's difficult or easy. All languages have their own things to love! Like Igbo, for instance, that has only 8 adjectives. Eight!!! :D I bet they don't have the adjective pompöösi... :(

Edited by frankie

When I woke up this morning, and went to the kitchen to get my cereal and make some coffee, I heard my godson read aloud to his Dad. :wub: And it was a doggy book!! :wub: :wub:

(And don't get me wrong... The kids are no angels who can do no wrong. I'm not trying to paint a picture where they are absolute saints and nobody has raised better children than my friend and her husband. They are funny and adorable and clever, but they have their moments, too! I sometimes have to use earplugs so I can concentrate on my reading... They get rowdy sometimes and boy, the decibels...! :lol:  :hide:  )

Edited by frankie

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn  

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - ? I'm in too deep now, I will do this as well. Might as well as I have no deadline for this challenge of challenges! 

3. Read someone else's favourite book -  Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - Group Read 

4. Read the last book you acquired - What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson

6. Read a book you really want to read - The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan ?

7. Read 7 books - I'm trying! 

2/7 challenges completed - 27.8.2015

I think I'm going to give the 7th challenge a try. Karen.d has inspired me! :cool:

7. Read 7 books - starting from 21.8. -> finishing on 28.8. 

1. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - finished 22.8.

2. The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent - finished 24.8.

3. The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell - finished 25.8.

4. Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey - finished 28.8.

5. Small Steps by Louis Sachar 

I have two days left... Yikes! 

Edited by frankie

Oooh, ahhh, Mr. Vincent Gallo!  It's true, that is definitely another thing we have in common ;)  I wonder what he's been up to lately?  

I'll start my book blog before the weekend is out, I assure you!

During 2 years of my college years I lived with my brother and his family during the week and I know what you mean about having to use ear plugs!  It wasn't always my nephew yelling, but my bedroom was right below the dining room and I swear he loved to move chairs around on the wood floor non-stop. Oy!

I don't know if you saw my posts about reading this book called Ordinary Grace, Frankie, but I think it would be one you might like.  Take a look at the synopsis when you have time and maybe it'll end up on your wish list :D

Oooh, ahhh, Mr. Vincent Gallo!  It's true, that is definitely another thing we have in common ;)  I wonder what he's been up to lately?  

I have no idea :unsure: I haven't thought of him in a long time, though. I bet he's upset because of it and is keeping a low profile on purpose :(

:lol:

I'll start my book blog before the weekend is out, I assure you!

I'm going to hold you to that! :D I haven't seen your TBR list in ages, it's going to be mighty interesting to see what's on it :)

During 2 years of my college years I lived with my brother and his family during the week and I know what you mean about having to use ear plugs!  It wasn't always my nephew yelling, but my bedroom was right below the dining room and I swear he loved to move chairs around on the wood floor non-stop. Oy!

2 years?! And you live a sane life... :D No wonder you like the peace and quiet up in the cabin...! I know about the moving of chairs and stuff, boy do I know! The kids like to bang the walls sometimes. And the mirror. And the mirror is on the other side of my wall, so I can hear them alright! So far I haven't said anything, because I don't want to get involved in any way, when it comes to this sort of thing... I don't want to risk anyone getting mad at me for any reason because I have no place else to go. Thank god for the library being so close. 

I don't know if you saw my posts about reading this book called Ordinary Grace, Frankie, but I think it would be one you might like.  Take a look at the synopsis when you have time and maybe it'll end up on your wish list :D

I checked it on Amazon and I have to say, I love the book cover :wub: Sounded really intriguing, I think it's going on my wishlist now :D Thanks! 

Edit: It reminds me of another book you once recommended, which was called Ordinary People, and it made me laugh, because I can see a pattern... You like your books ordinary! :D 

Edited by frankie

#55. Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey 

From Amazon'Elizabeth is missing', reads the note in Maud's pocket in her own handwriting.

Lately, Maud's been getting forgetful. She keeps buying peach slices when she has a cupboard full, forgets to drink the cups of tea she's made and writes notes to remind herself of things. But Maud is determined to discover what has happened to her friend, Elizabeth, and what it has to do with the unsolved disappearance of her sister Sukey, years back, just after the war.

A fast-paced mystery with a wonderful leading character: Maud will make you laugh and cry, but she certainly won't be forgotten.

Thoughts:  Am in a bit of a hurry now so quick thoughts. Borrowed and read this based on the recs on the forum. I got off to a slow start, but loved how Maud described eating Polos and candy, and thought this is going to go somewhere and I love the writing. Well, I think it's a case of the book not being 100% suitable to my current reading mood and the fact that I was feeling the deadline of the read 7 books in a week -booktubeathon challenge... I felt I was rushing the reading. Or rather, I tried to read it at a normal pace but the book just wasn't meant for that at all. 

The writing's good and Maud was great, but I'd expected something different. Personally I was only interested in her finding Elizabeth, and for some reason I wasn't interested in the old times and the Sukey case at all. I felt I had to stifle a few yawns whenever the narrative changed to dig up old dirt. And I'd expected something a bit more 'juicy' at the end... I feel bad for not liking the book as I know others have really enjoyed it :( 

If the book is on your wishlist already, please don't be discouraged by my thoughts on it. It was just me and my unsuitable mojo mood! 

2/5

7. Read 7 books - starting from 21.8. -> finishing on 28.8. 

1. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - finished 22.8.

2. The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent - finished 24.8.

3. The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell - finished 25.8.

4. Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey - finished 28.8.

Well, I managed four books, and so I didn't complete the challenge. A friend's birthday party that I was supposed to go to this Saturday got re-scheduled and it's today, and so I know I can't and won't be reading anything after 5 PM and so I just don't have the time. I'm a tiny bit annoyed because I might've otherwise managed it. I guess I'm also a bit annoyed because lately it's felt like I'm always the one who has to bend to the schedules of other people... It's understandable because those other people have their jobs and some have partners and some even have kids etc. I don't have any of those things so it's just easier if I 'conform'. But it's sort of annoying because I sometimes feel like people might expect me to be available just whenever. They probably don't, and it's probably all in my own head, but it's a tiring thought. 

I'm not saying that my books and reading are more important to me than my friends. Never. But it's a tiny bit annoying that it's a dear hobby of mine and I was looking forward to ending the challenge tonight but now I can't because the party's today. If it was a case of my hobby being something for which I have to schedule a place (say, tennis) and other people were involved, people might accept my not joining them more easily, but I sometimes feel like because it's just me reading, people might think that well she can do that any other time, can't she. So annoying :D

Otherwise I've been enjoying this challenge very much. It's made me turn off the computer for longer periods of time and it's made me read even before bedtime. It's been great :) I'm also not as behind on my Goodreads read books in 2015 challenge anymore. Well, I am, but not by as many books as I was a week ago :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

I recognise your feelings, I have felt that way too on several occasions :friends0:.

I don't have any tips other than that I think it's probably all in our heads, though even though I know that, I still feel the way I do :giggle2:.

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you at least were able to be less behind on your GoodReads challenge even if you didn't manage to read all 7 books :).

Ordinary People, yet another fantastic book, Frankie!  I'm glad another 'Ordinary' title made your wishlist ;)

4 out of 7 books is great!  I'm lucky if I can get 1 book read a month, so you did well, IMO.  It's hard when you're contending with noisy children or events/parties with friends, and I understand where you're coming from.  It all comes down to what you think is a valuable way to spend your time, you know?  No matter what others expect of you.  :friends3: 

It's a shame you didn't enjoy Elizabeth Is Missing so much. I know what you mean about the ending being a bit of a letdown. Although it did explain why Maud kept asking about the courgettes (or was it cucumbers, or marrows?? :doh: ) :lol:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about not meeting the challenge. 7 books in 7 days is a bit harsh, and I doubt most people can read 7 books in a month! :friends3:

7 books in 7 days is crazy - unless you do nothing else but read and even then surely they would be short books! Assuming you aren't reading seven kindle singles/kids picture books or something, I guess...

Shame you didn't enjoy Elizabeth is Missing, I have it on my TBR but will try and not let your review put me off :D 

7 books in 7 days is crazy - unless you do nothing else but read and even then surely they would be short books! Assuming you aren't reading seven kindle singles/kids picture books or something, I guess...

I probably could have done this in my reading prime (i.e. pre kids) but not any more. ;)

I recognise your feelings, I have felt that way too on several occasions.

I don't have any tips other than that I think it's probably all in our heads, though even though I know that, I still feel the way I do.

The annoying thing is that even though one is conscious of it, it doesn't make it any easier :rolleyes::D 

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you at least were able to be less behind on your GoodReads challenge even if you didn't manage to read all 7 books.

Indeed. One must look for the silver linings and all! :) 

Ordinary People, yet another fantastic book, Frankie!  I'm glad another 'Ordinary' title made your wishlist ;)

4 out of 7 books is great!  I'm lucky if I can get 1 book read a month, so you did well, IMO.  It's hard when you're contending with noisy children or events/parties with friends, and I understand where you're coming from.  It all comes down to what you think is a valuable way to spend your time, you know?  No matter what others expect of you.  :friends3: 

Yeah, I guess I should only care about my own opinion. Although I do care about what my friends think... But I shouldn't assume that I know what they think. Because that makes and ass out of you them and me :D 

It's a shame you didn't enjoy Elizabeth Is Missing so much. I know what you mean about the ending being a bit of a letdown. Although it did explain why Maud kept asking about the courgettes (or was it cucumbers, or marrows?? )

It was marrows, and by god, I was too lazy to google or look the word up on the dictionary and by this day I don't know what it means :D :D  Talk about lazy!!!

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about not meeting the challenge. 7 books in 7 days is a bit harsh, and I doubt most people can read 7 books in a month!

I know, I know. It's just that I started out so well, when I had such unputdownable books to read, and it seemed I could manage the challenge. It's when I started reading EIM that I slowed down and botched it. Should've gone for another novel :devcat: 

That is very true, but as one is unemployed at the moment, unfortunately, one does have the opportunity of not doing much else for one week... :blush: 

Shame you didn't enjoy Elizabeth is Missing, I have it on my TBR but will try and not let your review put me off 

I order you to forget my review of the novel :D 

I probably could have done this in my reading prime (i.e. pre kids) but not any more. 

Yes, I hear it's pretty amazing how easily kids take up all of one's time...  :hide:

It was marrows, and by god, I was too lazy to google or look the word up on the dictionary and by this day I don't know what it means :D :D  Talk about lazy!!!

It's similar to a courgette (like Janet keeps posting on FB  :giggle2: ) - but a lot bigger. :D

It's similar to a courgette (like Janet keeps posting on FB  :giggle2: ) - but a lot bigger. :D

Ah!! :D :D Do you know, for a long time I thought it was a bird :giggle2::D :D  I mean, it's a word I've never heard before, and so the mind goes to places and it sounded like a bird to me :D 

Edited by frankie

A marrow is a courgette isn't it? One that has outstayed its welcome and grown to a humongous size! Least ways .. I always thought it was  :blush2: There are other sorts of marrow .. like bone marrow! Actually I've eaten both!  :o  :D 

Ah .. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy Elizabeth is Missing Frankie :( I do know what you mean about the two plot lines. I didn't mind it at all but the Sukey storyline could have been dispensed with without ill effect probably. The reason I liked it was that it showed us a different Maud but I would have quite happily stayed with her in the present day.