Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

I ordered 4 books  : Jo Dereske ( Miss Zukas in Death`s Shadow, Final Notice, Miss Zukas shelves the evidence ) and  Elisabeth Bumiller - The secrets of Mariko ( a year in the life of a Japanese woman and her family ). 

£13.05 altogether.  :smile:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it`s nice that the cat does charity work to help disadvantaged cats. .  :D

It's brilliant :D

I ordered 4 books  : Jo Dereske ( Miss Zukas in Death`s Shadow, Final Notice, Miss Zukas shelves the evidence ) and  Elisabeth Bumiller - The secrets of Mariko ( a year in the life of a Japanese woman and her family ). 

£13.05 altogether.  :smile:

I hope you enjoy your new books when they arrive :)!

I hope you enjoy your new books when they arrive :)!

Thanks - it can take up to a month for books to arrive from the US, so it`s like getting a present when they pop through the door, `cos I`ve almost forgotten I`ve ordered them.  :giggle2:

My poor cat Xiao-Xiao had to see the vet yesterday for her annual check-up and jabs - she was so scared of going in her basket, she peed on the dining-room carpet ( it`s usual for her to pee or poo on the vet, or in her basket on the car-ride to the vet ). She did that scary open-mouth panting in the car, but settled down in the vets` waiting room ( her basket was sprayed with feliway, which is supposed to calm her down ). Her vet said she`s looking good and commented on how nice her fur looks, plus the scar on her eye from last year has completely healed up, so no trouble with her eyesight at all. She`s pretty skittish today, and is off her food though. 

She has hayfever and is pretty itchy round her face - Stronghold for fleas and mites hasn`t helped with that - the vet suggested wiping her face with a wet flannel when she comes inside, saying that cats go nose first through the grass and that could irritate her skin. She also suggested trying a different dry food, saying that Go Cat has additives and to try a more expensive one to see if that helps, so Xiao-Xiao now has some Iams to slowly introduce to her diet - hopefully, that`ll help with itchiness.

Oh, and I got her some dried catnip from the Supermarket ; it comes in little baggies, I fell like I`m on a feline version of The Wire.  :giggle:

Edited by Little Pixie

Haha, I've had that happen too :giggle2:.

Awww, poor Xiao-Xiao :(! I hope she will feel better soon :(.

Thanks - she`s hiding upstairs atm, in fear of another vet visit. :( She doesn`t believe me when I tell her she doesn`t have to go again for another year.  :smile:

Oh, poor baby!  :(  I don't blame her for being scared. 

Our vet comes to the house for the yearly shots, but this year we only have 2 cats left, so I suppose we'll bring them in for that now.  I dread it!

Oh, poor baby!  :(  I don't blame her for being scared. 

Our vet comes to the house for the yearly shots, but this year we only have 2 cats left, so I suppose we'll bring them in for that now.  I dread it!

The Furry Princess has been quite skittish today and outside a lot. It`ll just take time for her not to look upon her Mummy as a traitor, I suppose.  :hide:

I`m sorry to hear that you`re down to two cats now. :( Has your vet got a separate kitty section ? There was a sign at the Vets` this time saying to ask at the desk if your cat wanted a quiet room to wait in, but Xiao-Xiao had seemed to settle down and wash her paws by the time I saw the sign. :smile:  

Good luck for the vet`s visit, when it comes. Maybe if you grab one cat each at the same time, the cats won`t realise  what`s happening till it`s too late ?  :unsure:

Edited by Little Pixie

Book #114, 115, 116  The All Souls Trilogy ( A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night, The Book of Life ) - Deborah Harkness

This is one continuous story. 

Science historian Diana Bishop from New England, is working in Oxford`s Bodleian Library on a research project when she comes across an ancient alchemical manuscript. It seems to be talking to her and shimmering, but no-one else notices it. Diana`s parents were Witches ( in a World where Witches, Daemons and Vampires co-exist secretly amongst regular people ) and Diana herself has some witchy power but has chosen to ignore her heritage and concentrate on her academic work. 

Once she accesses the manuscript - which turns out to have been lost for centuries - the Magical World is after her ( though she doesn`t understand why ) and she`s forced to turn to her slight Witchy abilities to protect herself. Also, there`s a vampire - Matthew - who starts to follow her and gradually she talks to him and they become friends ( and more... ) , which is frowned upon since the magical beings are supposed to segregate themeselves.  He helps her to protect herself and they investigate why the manuscript is so important to so many people. 

Book 1 and 2 are brilliant. It`s mostly in the first person from the point of view of Diana, so you feel what she`s going though and enjoy the journey of her becoming empowered and exploring her abilities. It`s swooningly romantic, but not at the expense of the fast-paced adventure. 

The problem is Book 3. It turns from the point of view of Diana to the point of view of ...everyone. Having Diana speaking in the third person feels wrong after the first two books, and I wasn`t as invested in her journey. Plus, 5 or 6 times, I had to re-read a line to work out what was happening. It`s not as exciting as before, there seem an awful lot of characters, and it goes from Diana in danger all the time to Diana pootling around , talking about danger, but it just doesn`t feel dangerous. 

Book 3 is the sort of book where you struggle to pick out the good bits, but the first two books are sooooo good, that you`ll put up with a so-so read just to finish off the trilogy. 

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, it is a shame the third was such a let down. I have the first two books on my shelves (but I haven't read them yet, I was waiting for the release of book 3 in smaller paperback).

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, it is a shame the third was such a let down. I have the first two books on my shelves (but I haven't read them yet, I was waiting for the release of book 3 in smaller paperback).

Thanks. :D If you like urban fantasy ( like Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, the Abhorsen trilogy ), I think you`ll enjoy the All Souls Trilogy - I re-read the first two books before reading book 3, so maybe that`s why the differences stood out for me so much.  :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Thanks. :D If you like urban fantasy ( like Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, the Abhorsen trilogy ), I think you`ll enjoy the All Souls Trilogy - I re-read the first two books before reading book 3, so maybe that`s why the differences stood out for me so much.  :smile:

Sounds good :D!

The Furry Princess has been quite skittish today and outside a lot. It`ll just take time for her not to look upon her Mummy as a traitor, I suppose.  :hide:

I`m sorry to hear that you`re down to two cats now. :( Has your vet got a separate kitty section ? There was a sign at the Vets` this time saying to ask at the desk if your cat wanted a quiet room to wait in, but Xiao-Xiao had seemed to settle down and wash her paws by the time I saw the sign. :smile:  

Good luck for the vet`s visit, when it comes. Maybe if you grab one cat each at the same time, the cats won`t realise  what`s happening till it`s too late ?  :unsure:

No separate section, but they'll be in a cat carrier.  I always face the grill door towards me, so they don't really see the rest of the room.  I'm just hoping the carrier we have is big enough for both of them.  I think it is. 

LOL  Yeah, if I grab one, the other will be easy to get.  /fingers crossed/ :D

Beautiful pic, above!! :D

No separate section, but they'll be in a cat carrier.  I always face the grill door towards me, so they don't really see the rest of the room.  I'm just hoping the carrier we have is big enough for both of them.  I think it is. 

LOL  Yeah, if I grab one, the other will be easy to get.  /fingers crossed/ :D

Beautiful pic, above!! :D

Xiao-Xiao looks out through the grill too, but I think the smell of dogs is such that she`s aware of what else is happening in the waiting room. :hide:

Poor Girl`s still skittish today, but has spent the past three days back sleeping on my bed, so she`s getting there.  :smile:

Hee, that`s one of her favourite spots to perch ; the SKY box gets quite warm, so she uses it as a bottom warmer ( plus, those Pet Humans of hers always look at the TV, so she makes herself noticed ). 

Thanks.  :D  Xiao -Xiao`s never even been near a sink, though she plays ` catch my tail` in the shower sometimes.  :giggle2:

Where she runs really really fast in circles, banging crazily against the sides of the tub? Kili used to do that. :giggle2:

Where she runs really really fast in circles, banging crazily against the sides of the tub? Kili used to do that. :giggle2:

:giggle2:

No, this is a more genteel version ; she catches sight of her tail and goggles at it, like she`s never seen it before, then takes a couple of turns at catching it.  :D

:giggle2:

No, this is a more genteel version ; she catches sight of her tail and goggles at it, like she`s never seen it before, then takes a couple of turns at catching it.  :D

Sweet! Isn't it weird how they only do it in the bathtub. :D

I ordered some books - 

One Lady, Two Cats - Richard Lockridge   £6.43

Kafka on the Shore, Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilggrimage - Haruki Murakami   £2.81, £3.85

Picture Miss Seeton - Heron Carvic   £4.06

Blackout - Connie Willis   £2.81

Murder at Mount Fuji - Shizuko Natsuki  £3.35

A Dying Fall - Hildegarde Dobson   £3.41

Journal of a Solitude - May Saarton   £2.81

A Novena for Murder - Carol Anne O`Marie   £2.81

The Basket Case ( A Father Dowling Mystery ) - Ralph McInerny    £2.80

Proven Guilty,  Dead Beat, White Night , Blood Rites, Death Masks - Jim Butcher  £2.72, £2.31, £2.78, £2.66, £2.79

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Donna Andrews    £2.66  ( I cancelled a pre-ordered paperback, after I found a new hardback much cheaper :smile:  ) 

I also got the Mr and Mrs Murder DVD.  :D