Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

Sorry that you were poorly with Girl flu. The pick-you-up with a book find was great, especially 50p for Elizabeth is Missing is wonderful!!  :smile:

Thank you.  :D  I just can`t shift the flu - I think I`m over it, then I`m bleah for a couple of days again.  :doh:

I `had` to get some more books.....  :blush2:

More Mr and Mrs North books - Key to Death ( £4.56), A Pinch of Poison ( £4.77 ) , Death has a small Voice ( £.4.58 )

Dekok and the Sorrowing Tomcat - Baantjer ( £4.35 )

The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett  ( £2.81)

No Deals, Mr Bond - John Gardner  (  £2.93 ) 

And more Elizabeth Peters books - The Last Camel died at Noon (£2.54 ), Seeing a Large Cat ( £2.23 ) , The Snake, the crocodile and the Dog ( £2.56 ) , Lord of the Silent ( £1.92 ) , Thunder in the Sky (£1.78 ), The Hippopotamus Pool ( £2.58 ), The Golden One ( £1.90 ), The Ape who guards the Balance ( £2.05 ), Falcon at the Portals ( £2.65 ).

15 books - £44.21. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you feel better soon, Sarah :flowers2:.

I hope you enjoy your new books :D! I really like the Baantjer books, and I own the Terry Pratchett book but I haven't read it yet.

Aw, thanks Gaia.  :empathy:

The Baantjer book is coming from the US - as are most of the books I`ve been ordering this year - it`s so good that those Amazon marketplace bookshops are available.  :smile:

I `had` to buy The Long Earth, after picking up the 2nd of the series in a charity hospice shop ( I`d eventually have bought the books, anyway ). 

The Baantjer book is coming from the US - as are most of the books I`ve been ordering this year - it`s so good that those Amazon marketplace bookshops are available. :smile:

I `had` to buy The Long Earth, after picking up the 2nd of the series in a charity hospice shop ( I`d eventually have bought the books, anyway ).

That is really nice :)! I'm happy you can get a lot from there :)!! (I can't due to import tax). Is the shipping not too costly?

And that makes a lot of sense :yes:, I get that too sometimes :P.

I`ve just been amusing myself by reading Deanna Raybourn`s Twitter feed ( Her Lady Julia Grey mysteries are lovely ) . 

Love this Tweet.  :giggle2:

I loved this :giggle2:!

That is really nice :)! I'm happy you can get a lot from there :)!! (I can't due to import tax). Is the shipping not too costly?

Here`s the clicky for Amazon UK - Voyage into Violence by the Lockridges.   Most of those books are for £2.81 including UK delivery from the US. 

When does your import tax kick in ? Ours starts at £16 or £18, can`t remember which.  :smile:

Emoticons removed.

Here`s the clicky for Amazon UK - Voyage into Violence by the Lockridges.   Most of those books are for £2.81 including UK delivery from the US. 

When does your import tax kick in ? Ours starts at £16 or £18, can`t remember which.

That's great :)! For me, delivery of a book through Amazon.co.uk's marketplace is normally £4.01, which is 6+€ (the pound is really high compared to the euro these days). If I were to buy two books, the shipping is £8.02 from the marketplace (even with the same seller), unless I buy from Amazon.co.uk directly in which case it doesn't stack but just adds an extra £0.30 or such per 0.5 kg if I'm not mistaken (so only worth it if I were to buy multiple items).

I think the import tax kicks in at 20€, but I believe the lowest they can charge you is about 19€. So when I bought something that was 29.99$ (about ~20€), they wanted me to pay €19,62 import tax. I'm not doing that again :banghead:. I can't afford it any more, no matter how much I love to get packages in the post with books and other nice things. I've been doing well and I've only bought one book online for myself this year so far. I can always hope I'll win the lottery though (but of course, the chances of that happening are 0% since I don't have money to buy a lottery ticket :P.. in the Netherlands two of the most common ones price their tickets at 10-20 euros.), or that in the future I'll be earning lots of money.

I am happy for you though with your books :)!

I`m quite fussy about needing to read things in order.

Me too, usually :). Especially for series where it really matters (where the books aren't standalone stories with the same characters). 

Those tweets are really good fun, as is her blog. 

That's an interesting blog, I've bookmark it and subscribed to the mailing list :)!

I love this :)!

Emoticons removed.

That's great :)! For me, delivery of a book through Amazon.co.uk's marketplace is normally £4.01, which is 6+€ (the pound is really high compared to the euro these days). If I were to buy two books, the shipping is £8.02 from the marketplace (even with the same seller), unless I buy from Amazon.co.uk directly in which case it doesn't stack but just adds an extra £0.30 or such per 0.5 kg if I'm not mistaken (so only worth it if I were to buy multiple items).

I think the import tax kicks in at 20€, but I believe the lowest they can charge you is about 19€. So when I bought something that was 29.99$ (about ~20€), they wanted me to pay €19,62 import tax. I'm not doing that again :banghead:. I can't afford it any more, no matter how much I love to get packages in the post with books and other nice things. I've been doing well and I've only bought one book online for myself this year so far. I can always hope I'll win the lottery though (but of course, the chances of that happening are 0% since I don't have money to buy a lottery ticket :P.. in the Netherlands two of the most common ones price their tickets at 10-20 euros.), or that in the future I'll be earning lots of money.

I am happy for you though with your books :)!

Thank you. :D

@ those prices - That`s robbery !!  :banghead:  I don`t know how those US book shops make a profit anyway, with such low prices for the UK.  :blink:  Not that I`m complaining... :doowapstart:

I`ve enjoyed reading Deanna Raybourn`s blog and tweets over the past day or so ; it feels like `real` writing, rather than someone having a blog/twitter account just to get publicity for their work.  :smile:  

Edited by Little Pixie

I`ve enjoyed reading Deanna Raybourn`s blog and tweets over the past day or so ; it feels like `real` writing, rather than someone having a blog/twitter account just to get publicity for their work.  :smile:

Yes, it seems very much like 'real' writing :). I'll have to keep an eye on the blog. I do have Twitter and followed her, but to be honest I hardly ever use Twitter these days. It tired me out too much so I stopped using it a few years ago :blush2:.

Yes, it seems very much like 'real' writing :). I'll have to keep an eye on the blog. I do have Twitter and followed her, but to be honest I hardly ever use Twitter these days. It tired me out too much so I stopped using it a few years ago :blush2:.

Oof, you must`ve been about the first person on it  ;)  - I`ve never reallly bothered with it before, just dipped in and out, but she seems like someone I`ll look at regularly.  :smile:

Books read : 58                        TBR 795              New Books Bought : 84                       Total Cost : £ 207.56

Time to get up-to date again... 

#45   Murder is Suggested - Frances and Richard Lockridge

Can someone be hypnotized into killing someone ? The Norths investigate. There`s a particularly jaw-dropping moment when the Police ascertain that the murder room is sealed, only for someone to suddenly appear inside it. 

#46   My Kind of Magic - Joyce Grenfell

A slim volume of Joyce Grenfell ephemera ( articles, recipes, poems). She had such a talent for describing things which touched her deeply.

#47   Murder has its Points - Frances and Richard Lockridge

Pam and Jerry North attend a party for one of Jerry`s authors, only for the author to be shot dead when standing next to them. 

#48   Murder by the Book - Frances and Richard Lockridge

The final Mr and Mrs North mystery seems them on holiday in Key West, when Pam stumbles across a body. 

#49   Rounding the Mark - Andrea Camilleri

Very funny at times, and sometimes a difficult read ; Inspector Montalbano investigates a child trafficking case. 

#50   Death of an Angel - Frances and Richard Lockridge

A Broadway playboy is murdered in his sealed appartment ; Pam and Jerry rush to investigate. 

#51   Hasty Death- MC Beaton

After a string of fun reads, this is one I couldn`t get into. The plot is a lot of fun - Lady Rose and her maid leave her opulent household to work as typists and get drawn into a scandalous mystery - but that feels like all it is - a plot. It just feels shallow and un-fleshed-out. It is very funny though, and maybe someone else would like it more. 

#52   The Curse of the Pharoahs - Elizabeth Peters

#53   The Mummy Case - Elizabeth Peters 

#54   Lion in the Valley - Elizabeth Peters

#55   The Deed of the Disturbers - Elizabeth Peters

Amelia Peabody investigates nefarious goings-on in 1890`s Egypt, with husband Emerson, son Ramses and cat Bastet. The books get funnier and funnier as they go on and Amelia is a delight. The books really do feel as though they`re the recently discovered journals of a lady archeologist. 

#56   A six letter word for Death - Patricia Moyes

The last of the Henry and Emmy Tibbett books which I had left to read. Henry is sent a mysterious crossword and has to solve the clues to solve a ( possible ) murder. 

#57   The Norths meet Murder - Frances and Richard Lockridge

The first of the Pam and Jerry North books, published in 1940.. Pam decides to throw a party ; due to space considerations, her landlady allows her to use the empty appartment above the Norths` place in Greenwich Village. Pam and Jerry go upstairs to check it out and find a nude body in the bath tub.... It`s the first book I`ve read where you get a real sense of the commotion involved when the Police, forensics, photographers, etc turn up to attend a murder. How Pam and Jerry help Inspector Weigand ( who features in the other books, too ) find the murderer, with the help of Pete the Cat, is a lot of fun. 

#58   The last camel died at noon - Elizabeth Peters

Amelia Peabody in a Rider Haggard-esque adventure. Amelia and Emerson are approached by two family members of a couple who went missing in the Sudan a decade ago, and investigate the disappearance.  It`s amusing, it`s exciting, and I don`t mind reading one after another in the series, `cos they skip ahead a year or two, and there`s so much in the private life of the Peabody-Emerson household to catch up on. 

Edited by Little Pixie

I'm glad you're enjoying the Ameila Peabody books … I think I'm up to the one after The Last Camel Died at Noon.  I like saving them for holidays, so I can just settle down for the day and immerse myself in each one without having to stop reading. 

Oof, you must`ve been about the first person on it ;) - I`ve never reallly bothered with it before, just dipped in and out, but she seems like someone I`ll look at regularly. :smile:

I think my parents were relatively early with it, and I joined a while later :).

I'm glad you're enjoying reading your books :). It's nice to read your little reviews!

I'm glad you're enjoying the Ameila Peabody books … I think I'm up to the one after The Last Camel Died at Noon.  I like saving them for holidays, so I can just settle down for the day and immerse myself in each one without having to stop reading. 

I`m reading that one now ; The Crocodile, the snake and the dog, I think it`s called.  :smile:

A few more books and I have to decide whether to read them in chronological order or publishing order, `cos two of the books seem to be `flashback` books. Hmm. 

Edited by Little Pixie

I'm glad you're enjoying reading your books :). It's nice to read your little reviews!

Aw, thank you.  :blush2:  I`ve been really lucky this year ; I`ve found two good series to get into ( Mr and Mrs North, Amelia Peabody ).