Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

I`ve ordered quite a few more books.

Death of a Tall man - Frances and Richard Lockridge  ( £9.95 )

Alpine for You - Maddy Hunter   ( £2.81 ) 

Mystery in White - J. Jefferson Farjeon   (£1.97 )

The Track of Sand - Andre Camilleri (£2.31 )

Double Booked for Death - Ali Brandon (£2.50 )

Big City Eyes - Delia Ephron ( £1.49 )

I feel bad about my Neck - Nora Ephron ( £1.94 ) 

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie - Rita Mae Brown ( £4.60 )

The Book of Life - Deborah Harkness ( £2.65 ) 

Popular - Maya Van Wagenen (£2.80 ) 

Bones Never Lie - Kathy Reichs ( £1.75 ) 

A Novel Way to Die - Ali Brandon ( £3.13 )

Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well - Nancy Atherton (£5.11 ) 

Fax me a Bagel - Sharon Kahn ( £2.81 )

Miss Zukas and the Library Murder - Jo Dereske (£2.81 )  

More Amelia Peabody books - The Serpent on the Crown ( £2.40 ), Children of the Storm ( £1.89 ), A River in the Sky ( £1.99 ), Tomb of the Golden Bird ( £1.99 )

Carol Goodman Books - The Drowning Tree ( £1.79 ), The Seduction of Water (£2.00 ), Arcadia Falls ( £2.80 ) , The Ghost Orchid ( £2.46 ) 

Books read : 62                        TBR 818             New Books Bought : 111                      Total Cost : £ 300.63

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!  Hope you are feeling better by now!  :flowers2:  More flowers, if you have room on the dresser..... :D

You are just tearing along with your reading, Sarah.  :readingtwo:  :D

Ouch!  Hope you are feeling better by now!  :flowers2:  More flowers, if you have room on the dresser..... :D

You are just tearing along with your reading, Sarah.  :readingtwo:  :D

Aww, thank you.  :D

I shall endeavour to start on some catch-up reviews. At some point.  :smile:

I ordered the next two books in the Maddy Hunter series - Top O` the Mourning, Pasta Imperfect ( Both £2.81 each ) .

Books read : 62                        TBR 820             New Books Bought : 113                      Total Cost : £ 305.25

Sooooo behind with reviews ; I`m posting a list of books which I`ve read, and I`ll go back and slowly fill in the reviews. 

#63   A Perfect Spy - John le Carre

#64   Murder is Served - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#65   The Russia House - John Le Carre

#66   The Light-hearted Quest - Ann Bridges

#67   The secret Pilgrim - John Le Carre

#68   Dead as a Dinsoaur - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#69   My Korean Deli - Ben Ryder Howe

May

#70   Thunder on the Right - Mary Stewart

#71   The Hippopotamus Pool - Elizabeth Peters

#72   The Night manager - John Le Carre

#73   Hanged for a Sheep - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#74   Death in the Stocks - Georgette Heyer

#75   The Patience of the Spider - Andrea camilleri

#76   Writers` Block - Judith Flanders

#77   Murder out of Turn - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#78   mangle Street Murders - MRC Kasasian

#79   Wayward Pines - Blake Crouch 

#80   The Good, the Bad and the Emus - Donna Andrews

#81   Death on the Aisle - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#82   Seeing a large Cat - Elizabeth Peters 

#83   The Sonnet Lover - carol Goodman

#84   The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter

#85   Blood Price - Tanya Huff

#86   Double Booked for Death - Ali Brandon

#87   Payoff for the Banker - Frances and Richard Lockridge

June

#88   Nine Lives to Die - Rita Mae Brown

Harry, her two cats Mrs Murphy and Pewter, and her corgi Tucker investigate murders in Crozet, Virginia. Whodunnit was pretty easy to work out, but the lovely descriptions of a small farming community held my attention, as well as the little stories involving the animals. 

#89   I Feel Bad about my Neck - Nora Ephron

A short collection of 15 or so essays in a smallish book, but the quality of writing makes up for the brevity.  Very, very funny and thoughtful.

A selection of quotes from the book :

* Never marry a man you wouldn't want to be divorced from

*If the shoe doesn't fit in the shoe store, it's never going to fit

*When your children are teenagers, it's important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you

*Anything you think is wrong with your body at the age of thirty-five you will be nostalgic for by the age of forty-five

*The empty nest is underrated

*If only one third of your clothes are mistakes, you're ahead of the game

:giggle2:

#90   The River of No Return - Bee Ridgway

This got off to such a fascinating start - Nicholas Falcott is about to be killed on a Spanish battlefield in 1812, but instead jumps forward in time and finds himself in the early 21st Century as a `guest` of The Guild, who look after other time travellers and help them to fit into the current timeline. Alongside his story, is that of Julia Percy from 1815, who Nicholas had known. Their stories end up intersecting when Nicholas is sent back by the Guild to his previous timeline.

The problem is, the book ends up as a lot of unresolved plot lines and exposition, and the writing goes downhill - 

The man came back with a ladleful of water from somewhere and held it to Julia`s lips. She looked at him as she drank. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen. " You`re the most handsome man I`ve ever seen ", she said when she had drained the ladle. 

:doh:

#91   Alpine for You - Maddy Hunter

Excerpt

Really, really funny. This reminded me a bit of the Stephanie Plum books. Emily ( 29, divorced, unemployed ) accompanies her Grandmother - and other Seniors from their small home town in Iowa - on a trip to Switzerland. Anything that can go wrong, does - plus, one of the tour members dies and it`s turns out to be murder. Emily ends up trying to investigate the murder, but lots of farcical events get in the way. 

I`ve ordered the next couple of books in this series : `Passport to Peril`.  :D

#92   A Novel way to Die - Ali Brandon

Darla inherits her Great-Aunt`s Brooklyn bookshop and investigates a murder. Whodunnit is easy to work out, but the real fun is reading about the characters in the bookshop and the machinations of Hamlet, the bookshop cat. 

Edited by Little Pixie

They reminded me a bit of some of the Patricia Moyes covers ; you can see a skull hiding in the artwork there too.  :hide:

They are nice too :)!

I ordered the next two books in the Maddy Hunter series - Top O` the Mourning, Pasta Imperfect ( Both £2.81 each ) .

I hope you enjoy both of them!

Those are some great funny quotes :giggle2:!

^^ Thanks Gaia and Kate. :D  I do wonder if, the more I read, the shorter the reviews get - and I`ll end up finishing the year with ` I liked this book. It wuz good`.  :giggle2:

#93   Bones of the Lost - Katy Reichs

Hmm, not my favourite of the Temperance Brennan forensic anthropologist books. There are a lot of storylines going on - mummified dogs, underage prostitutes, a trip to Afghanistan to exhume two graves in a small village - and it`s not till the end that it all links up and makes sense. While it`s nice to see what`s happening in Tempe`s private life, and that of the on/off boyfriend Ryan, the ex-husband and the daughter ( not forgetting Birdy, the cat ) , this one just didn`t grab me. 

#94   A Trap for Fools - Amanda Cross

Professor Adams - Middle Eastern Studies lecturer - is found dead outside his office window on campus. Did he jump, fall or was he pushed ? There are far too many people who wanted him dead, and Professor Kate Fansler is asked to investigate by the University. The ending comes a bit suddenly, and while whodunnit and why makes sense, it feels like a bit more investigating was in order. 

I ordered 5 more of the Passport to Peril books by Maddy Hunter - Hula Done it ? , Dutch me Deadly, Norway to Hide, Bonnie of Evidence, G`Day to Die - £16.83. 

Books read : 94                        TBR 795             New Books Bought : 118                      Total Cost : £ 322.085

Edited by Little Pixie

^^ Thanks Gaia and Kate. :D  I do wonder if, the more I read, the shorter the reviews get - and I`ll end up finishing the year with ` I liked this book. It wuz good`.  :giggle2:

I feel like I'm almost there already :giggle2: (to saying that).

I hope you enjoy the new books when you get them :D!

I feel like I'm almost there already :giggle2: (to saying that).

I hope you enjoy the new books when you get them :D!

Thank you  :D  - some books from the US are here in 11 days, and some take aaages. Can`t wait for them to get here and then I can dig in !  :smile:

#95  Timebound - Rysa Walker

Excerpt

Teenage Kate goes to lunch with her Grandmother, who she hasn`t seen for years and only really remembers through photographs. The Grandmother - Katherine - has a medallion on her keyring, glowing with a strange light.. which no-one else seems to be able to see. Katherine has a brain tumour and wants Kate to move in with her - and then she talks about time travel - which turns out to be real and not a delusion from her illness. 

It`s a cracking good read, dealing with the emotional fallout from meddling with Time, and Kate has to deal with family and friends who don`t recognise her or have simply vanished from the Timeline,  as well as being the only one who can put Time back to where it should be. There are plenty of big shocky spoilers, but it`s really about the characters and how they cope. I`m looking forward to the next two books in the series.  :D

Love the sound of Timebound:D 

I grew tired of the Kathy Reich books quite a while back.  Finally, they were the same old thing, and my interest in the character just left the building. The same thing happened to me with the Sue Grafton "alphabet" books.  Just too much of the same thing.

Hah.  Somehow, I doubt that very much. :P

Ooh, lovely article on The Comfort of Clutter.   :smile:

Great article, I especially love this quote from the article. 

The stuff we accumulate works the same way our body weight does. Each of us has a set point to which we invariably return.

Unfortunately, both are true.  Well, maybe not unfortunate..... :D  Just one of those Facts of Life.

Love the sound of Timebound:D

It`s well worth a go, imo. Very much character- rather than plot-driven ( though the plot`s good, too ).  :smile: Erm.. It`s just a good book.  :D

On Kathy Reichs : I`ve found myself preferring the Canadian-set Kathy Reichs` books to the other ones. I have the next in the series, perhaps it picks up again. Hmm. 

I`m hoping the next Laurie R King returns to form, too - Dreaming Spies.   :smile: