Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

I'm not sure I'd want to read Only Ever Yours as a holiday read, but that's just me … it was pretty bleak, and I'd rather have something a bit easier to read on holiday.  Noll's right though, the 400 pages whizz by.

It's been a long time since I read Holes ... I'd say it was probably at the younger end of YA, but it was a really good story (and the film adaptation is great too!).

I read Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants which is more my sort of holiday read, so based on that, I'd say At The Water's Edge might be a good choice. :)

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'd say Holes is YA. I'm surprised Only Ever Yours is 400 pages, as it absolutely flew by when I read it. :readingtwo:

Oh good, I'm glad it flew by!  I was a little concerned lol

It's such a shame you didn't enjoy this one :(! I hope book 20 will be better :friends0:. It was great to read your review though :).

I know, such a letdown.  And Child is usually so dependable, I can by the Reacher books without reading the sample first!  He is the only author I do that with!

I have only read The Girl On The Train (which I LOVED) and Only Ever Yours which I initially read in ebook form, and didn't realise it was nearly as long as it is. It flies by, but it is very dark subject matter. I did love it, however.

Oh I don't mind about the dark tones, I just didn't want to take a book that drags along, ya know?  And I am glad to hear that about Girl on a Train, I've heard so much about it!

I'm not sure I'd want to read Only Ever Yours as a holiday read, but that's just me … it was pretty bleak, and I'd rather have something a bit easier to read on holiday.  Noll's right though, the 400 pages whizz by.

It's been a long time since I read Holes ... I'd say it was probably at the younger end of YA, but it was a really good story (and the film adaptation is great too!).

I read Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants which is more my sort of holiday read, so based on that, I'd say At The Water's Edge might be a good choice. :)

Thanks for your input, Claire, I really appreciate it.  I think At the Waters Edge is a good choice!  I didn't know there was a movie for Holes, I do know that it won the Newbery, so I thought it might be on the early YA side.  Will have to try out the sample on that one first!

Title: The Color War

Author: Jodi Picoult

Genre: YA

Pages: 35

Dates: 5/4

This book has a good premise- a young black boy is sent to a religious summer camp by his mother, after a life changing event in the boy’s life and as he struggles with his race.  I thought the short story though, could’ve done with some more focus on character development and from more emotion in the story.  I know what Picoult was trying to do with this short story, but I don’t think she pulled it off.  Being that Plain Truth was such a good book, The Color War will not taint my interest in her writing.

Thanks for your input, Claire, I really appreciate it.  I think At the Waters Edge is a good choice!  I didn't know there was a movie for Holes, I do know that it won the Newbery, so I thought it might be on the early YA side.  Will have to try out the sample on that one first!

Glad to be of help :) If you do enjoy reading Holes, I'd definitely recommend the film with some great actors in it … Henry Winkleman, Sigourney Weaver, Jon Voight, and a young Shia LaBeouf.

If you need another book to read on your trip :) you may want to try something different for a change and read:

Memory Man by David Baldacci - I think you would like it, I did. :).....from Amazon:

Amos Decker's life changed forever--twice.

The first time was on the gridiron. A big, towering athlete, he was the only person from his hometown of Burlington ever to go pro. But his career ended before it had a chance to begin. On his very first play, a violent helmet-to-helmet collision knocked him off the field for good, and left him with an improbable side effect--he can never forget anything.

The second time was at home nearly two decades later. Now a police detective, Decker returned from a stakeout one evening and entered a nightmare--his wife, young daughter, and brother-in-law had been murdered.
His family destroyed, their killer's identity as mysterious as the motive behind the crime, and unable to forget a single detail from that horrible night, Decker finds his world collapsing around him. He leaves the police force, loses his home, and winds up on the street, taking piecemeal jobs as a private investigator when he can.

But over a year later, a man turns himself in to the police and confesses to the murders. At the same time a horrific event nearly brings Burlington to its knees, and Decker is called back in to help with this investigation. Decker also seizes his chance to learn what really happened to his family that night. To uncover the stunning truth, he must use his remarkable gifts and confront the burdens that go along with them. He must endure the memories he would much rather forget. And he may have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

MEMORY MAN will stay with you long after the turn of the final page.
Edited by muggle not

If you need another book to read on your trip :) you may want to try something different for a change and read:

Memory Man by David Baldacci - I think you would like it, I did. :)

Thanks for the recommendation!  I think I have my list though ;) I'm 13 days out now, these things must be planned out :giggle2:

Ok, so the object of this trip is to BE in Amsterdam, not just hole up in my room and read all day- as much as that sounds appealing.  I do however, have my little 6 inch Fire and will be reading in various parks and cafes, as I know the city pretty well and have my "spots" that I like.  With 12- 13 days to go, here is (book wise) what I am taking with me.

Holes- Louis Sachar (Going into this one not knowing hardly anything about it)

The Girl on the Train- Paula Hawkins (So many mixed reviews!  Can't wait!)

Only Ever Yours- Louise O'Neill (Finally!  Will start with this one first, probably in the car on the way to the airport!)

The End of the World Running Club- Adrian J Walker (Had this FOR- EVER and am eagerly waiting to read it)

Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945- Max Hastings (This will be read with the others)

Audio:

Breakfast at Tiffany's- Truman Capote (For when my eyes get tired)

Thanks ladies and Muggle for all the input!  I really appreciate it... I can't wait!

Ok, so the object of this trip is to BE in Amsterdam, not just hole up in my room and read all day- as much as that sounds appealing.  I do however, have my little 6 inch Fire and will be reading in various parks and cafes, as I know the city pretty well and have my "spots" that I like.  With 12- 13 days to go, here is (book wise) what I am taking with me.

Holes- Louis Sachar (Going into this one not knowing hardly anything about it)

The Girl on the Train- Paula Hawkins (So many mixed reviews!  Can't wait!)

Only Ever Yours- Louise O'Neill (Finally!  Will start with this one first, probably in the car on the way to the airport!)

The End of the World Running Club- Adrian J Walker (Had this FOR- EVER and am eagerly waiting to read it)

Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945- Max Hastings (This will be read with the others)

Audio:

Breakfast at Tiffany's- Truman Capote (For when my eyes get tired)

Thanks ladies and Muggle for all the input!  I really appreciate it... I can't wait!

My best wishes for an exciting and enjoyable trip. I hope you don't have time to read any of the books. :)

Title: Burial Rites

Author: Hannah Kent

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 353

Dates: 4/26- 4/29

Criminal.  The word hangs in the air.  Heavy, unmoved by the bluster of the wind.  I want to shake my head.  That word does not belong to me, I want to say.  It doesn’t fit me or who I am.  It’s another word, and it belongs to another person. 

Burial Rites take a few pages to get into, but once you get through some (actual) official documents to the narrator of Agnes, an Icelandic woman sentenced to death and held in a dank prison cell, the book sets a bleak tone.  Although it gets lighter as Agnes is sent to a farm to await the death penalty and who conveniently will not pray with her Spiritual Advisor but will only tell him of her life.   Author Hannah Kent makes you want to know Agnes’ story and her explanation for the murders and arson she is accused of. 

It’s a good read, one I can compare with Jodi Picoult’s Plain Truth- not bad company at all.  Some sentences seemed on the verge of silly, trying too hard to be pretty.  But mostly, I found it well written and liked the footnote of how the author researched the story that was based on a true Icelandic woman.  I also loved the setting of 1829 in Iceland.

Edited: Recommended

Great review! :smile2: Incidentally I just read bobblybear's review of the same book :D Seems like a popular book on here at the moment. 

I'm not trusting my math at the moment: what's the exact date of your departure and when will you have arrived at Amsterdam? You must be really excited! :smile2: I hope you and Athena have loads of fun! 

Great review! :smile2: Incidentally I just read bobblybear's review of the same book :D Seems like a popular book on here at the moment. 

I'm not trusting my math at the moment: what's the exact date of your departure and when will you have arrived at Amsterdam? You must be really excited! :smile2: I hope you and Athena have loads of fun! 

You should check out Burial Rights, you would probably like it.

I am SO excited!  I leave May 26th :) 

Oh, I think it's wonderful that you guys are going to meet!! 

Give each other a hug for me too, please!! :cool:

I know you'll have a wonderful trip. :D

Edited by pontalba

Title: The Sisters Brothers

Author: Patrick deWitt

Genre: Western Noir lol

Pages: 339

Dates: 5/11- 5/15

My very center was beginning to expand, as it always did before violence, a toppled pot of black ink covering the frame of my mind, its contents ceaseless, unaccountability limitless.

Eli Sisters is a vigilante with a conscious and out to murder a gold prospector in California with his brother Charley.  Told in contemporary style, by Eli, and set in the Wild, Wild West, the two famous murderous brothers come from Oregon to California to find Hermann Kermit Warm.  The story meanders, as the boys have random encounters and shoot outs, but it isn’t so heavy on the action, more on the doubts of Eli about the life he is living.  When the Sisters brothers finally do figure out the truth about their mission and find the prospector, what they find is not what they expect.  And it starts an unraveling of events that are catastrophic. 

I feel just sort of medium on this book, it was good, not great or bad.  It just was.  It is memorable though and holds the reader’s attention.  Reads fast and twists are laid out by Eli thinking them through.  The moment of anticipation comes when the brothers carry out their plans and the results.  All in all, I am not sorry I read it, but I could have read something else.

Oh, I think it's wonderful that you guys are going to meet!! 

Give each other a hug for me too, please!! :cool:

I know you'll have a wonderful trip. :D

I hope I can get both reading time and some museum time in- it will be a toss up :giggle2: The parks are gorgeous!

Will hug for you :smile:

Title: Legend (A Legend Novel 1)

Author: Marie Lu

Genre: YA, Dystopian

Pages: 352 pages

Dates: 5/4-5/8

Part one of the dystopian Legend trilogy starts off really good and the rest holds interest as well, moving quickly in only 350 pages.  Immediately you are drawn to Day, a Matrix moving, teenage Robin Hood type.  The story is told through two perspectives, Day’s and the teenage girl genius sent to find him.  It takes hardly any time to drop into the world of the warring Republic and Colonists and Day and June are instantly likeable characters.

I’d say this is one of my favorite YA dystopias.  I really liked it.  Even though it is part of a trilogy, it stands alone.  I do hope to get to the next two, it was that good. 

Your travelling book list sounds good, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Only Ever Yours and The Girl On The Train! :)

Thanks!  I am hoping to finish the Legend trilogy before the trip!

9 days to go! How can you hold it in?! :D

I can't hardly!  I just keep thinking of how beautiful it is :wub: Definitely my favorite place in the world.  I am just hoping for no :intherain:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Legend :D!!

We have a lot to talk about with this one!  I wonder how the trilogy ends??

Thanks!  I am hoping to finish the Legend trilogy before the trip!

I will try to do the same!

I can't hardly!  I just keep thinking of how beautiful it is :wub: Definitely my favorite place in the world.  I am just hoping for no :intherain:

Today we didn't have any rain, but it might rain during your stay. I'd be happy to look up the local weather in Amsterdam just before you leave and tell you what the predictions are :)

(EDIT: Current predictions for the coming 7 days are between 14-18 C max during the day, 7-9 at night, some sunshine, some clouds, some rain).

We have a lot to talk about with this one!  I wonder how the trilogy ends??

I am very curious about that too!

Edited by Athena

(EDIT: Current predictions for the coming 7 days are between 14-18 C max during the day, 7-9 at night, some sunshine, some clouds, some rain).

Yup- sounds like Amsterdam lol  I am bringing my rain jacket so...I was just hoping not to have to wear it :P Your weather seems so much more stable!

Yup- sounds like Amsterdam lol  I am bringing my rain jacket so...I was just hoping not to have to wear it :P Your weather seems so much more stable!

If you call that stable.. what is your weather like :o?

If you call that stable.. what is your weather like :o?

:giggle2: I just meant it seems more stable than Amsterdam.  But Hawaii is like that too, only humid.  It rains on and off through the day, is cloudy and sunny all the time.  Here?  lol I never post in the weather thread because it'd all the be same, sunny, 24C/ 75F :P

:giggle2: I just meant it seems more stable than Amsterdam.  But Hawaii is like that too, only humid.  It rains on and off through the day, is cloudy and sunny all the time.  Here?  lol I never post in the weather thread because it'd all the be same, sunny, 24C/ 75F :P

I have to laugh.  Summertime here is kinda like.....It's hot as the devil, and it might rain.  Period.  :D