Growing your own...

~Andrea~

Herbs that is!

I didn't know whether this should go in cookery or gardening but as its about indoor windowsill herbs for cooking I thought I'd put it in cookery!

Parsley - whenever I've bought parsley, its ok for a few weeks but before long it gets infested with teeny teeny yellow mites that look like a fine dust on the leaves. Anyone know any remedies?

Basil - I'm currently growing basil and some of the leaves get black dry patches on, not just at the tips but in the middle. Does anybody know what they are? And are those leaves OK to eat?

I'm not sure, but I think some garden supply stores sell ladybugs to help maintain the plants - they are cute and eat littler bugs.

That being said: Growing your own.... is a nice little hook to get me to read your post! I had visions of hydroponics, special lights and stinky plants! Not that I ever would "grow my own", I do like to read about it.....:)

Yay a response to my sad little lonely post :)

Hmm, interesting. I think they might be spider mites and I think you may be right. A quick google search seems to confirm. I'm not sure about introducing more bugs into my house though :lol:

Maybe I will just but my parsley in bunches from the supermarket in future!

Using a soap based spray is a good way of getting rid of mites and the 500+ types of aphids. I have grown organically for several years and I have a healthy thriving wildlife population. Bluetits, sparrows, ladybirds are great getting rid of aphids. Failing that, just rub off the pests with your fingers. Companion planting also helps - growing marigolds beside herbs & tomatoes saves the crop

I absolutely loathe the damage by slugs and snails :) . How do other people get rid of theirs? I like to use value beer traps or go out with the salt pot!!

I absolutely loathe the damage by slugs and snails :) . How do other people get rid of theirs? I like to use value beer traps or go out with the salt pot!!

I use a beer trap as well - it works wonders! My dad brings round any beer that has gone out of date and I use that!

Someone I work with sprinkles salt on them...yuk yuk yuk!

I used to put my dog's hair (when I had brushed him) around the bottom of plants such as hostas that slugs and snails adore. Sadly, I don't have him now and so can't.:lol:

I've also got hardly any hostas

I'm sure this isn't a good solution to anyone at the moment, but bugs and slugs add up to just another reason that I'm storing away for someday getting chickens:D Of course, I'll have to not live in a tiny apartment in the middle of a city with not even a patio to grow things on! I get dark spots on my window-grown basil, too, and I attribute them to a combination of lack of real sunshine and too much water.

I get dark spots on my window-grown basil, too, and I attribute them to a combination of lack of real sunshine and too much water.

The dark spots have been less of a problem lately, it was only when I first had it really. You may be right, since I don't water it much (only when its really drooping) and its in quite a sunny position.