What's Up in September? - 2014

Athena

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll get something made of indestructible rubber. They are both very big and powerful dogs. The Rottie at 8 months is taller than the pitbull but she's got more girth (he was a rescue and is building his weight up). They are like miniature stallions running through the house. The Rottie is also still teething, ugh...so I'm thinking a trip to Petsmart is becoming necessary!

Look for the "Tuffy" brand.  They are rated for toughness.  We have 2 pit bulls, one as big as a Rottie and they are big time chewers.  These lasted them a lot longer- plus, no squeaker to deal with.  For teething and other strong chewers, I'm sure you know about Kong's.

Good luck with the resume- I hate writing/ updating those!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Anna! I'm going to Petsmart on Friday for Kizzy's grooming and I will pick something up. I never realized how inexpensive their grooming was. In our old town, I always tried to use local shops but in a new place, I don't want to make a mistake and get the "groomer from hell," so I decided to give Petsmart a try. They do teeth, ears, anal (eww) nail grinding, bath and dip for only $28.99 (for the pit).

I also found out that because we are military and I used the veterinary services aboard Parris Island (Marine Corp base) that her records are in the military data base (just like us, lol!)so I don' t have to hunt around for her records!! Got my boy King set up also!

Funny, I never gave it a thought about moving all of our things to a new place but having to update the microchip data base they belong to, set up new vet services and grooming... a whole new set of "to-do's!"

OMGs! I am totally bricking it - I will be performing, live, for the first time in eleven years tomorrow lunchtime. There's a local war re-enactment, and I've agreed to sing a couple of wartime numbers, so I'll be warbling my way through Chattagnooga Choo Choo and We'll Meet Again. However, the nerves are now setting in, and I have that horrid sinking-stomach and restricting throat sensation already. Now, if I can just remember the words when the moment comes, I might be OK. Wish me luck!

I got two A- on two papers for school!  One was an essay practice for our final so that was WAY exciting and the other was our first page long paragraph.  :doowapstart:

OMGs! I am totally bricking it - I will be performing, live, for the first time in eleven years tomorrow lunchtime. There's a local war re-enactment, and I've agreed to sing a couple of wartime numbers, so I'll be warbling my way through Chattagnooga Choo Choo and We'll Meet Again. However, the nerves are now setting in, and I have that horrid sinking-stomach and restricting throat sensation already. Now, if I can just remember the words when the moment comes, I might be OK. Wish me luck!

Good luck!  You will remember the words just fine!

Good luck :)!

I got two A- on two papers for school!  One was an essay practice for our final so that was WAY exciting and the other was our first page long paragraph.  :doowapstart:

Congratulations :)!

We've done a lot this past weekend so in the next few days I plan to mostly rest. I have a lot of catching up to do on the forum (I was too tired to use the computer) and other things (such as emails and social media).

Hope it all went well Kell, and congratulations on your exams Anna.

Coran and I are preparing for our blessing this weekend. Everything is pretty much in place - the food has been ordered and paid for, the guest list has all been confirmed and the music for the service chosen. Our best friend Sarah Jane is conducting the service, and she has refused to tell us what she has in store, so it will be a total and knowing her, very nice surprise. In many ways this is more important than the wedding itself, as that was just the legal bit - this is the spiritual ceremony which for us at least has much more meaning.  

Sweden had it's election yesterday. And now we have a chaos situation.

8 parties in the Riksdag nowadays, which means no party will ever get more than approx 35% of all votes. The Social Democratic Party (Socialdemokraterna) "won" with 31.3%. But to be able to make decisions, you need 50% of all votes in the Riksdag. They will have to ask other parties to join them in the government, which means ask other parties to "please vote with us on all topics". The social democratic party is closest with the Environment Party (Miljöpartiet) and the Left Party (Vänsterpartiet), but the procentage those 3 parties would come up to is less than 50%. 

So you think the other parties that make up for little over 50% can build a government together? Well, 4 of the 5 parties did make up for the government between 2006-2014. But after this election, they are too small. That 5th party is a party that NO ONE wants to cooperate with. The Sweden Democrates (Sverigedemokraterna) - the anti-immigration party... aka the racists. They got 13% of the votes in the election, making them the 3rd largest party. 

So now, the social democratic party and the environment party will team up, but they only make up for 38% of the votes. The 4 right-wing parties won't cooperate with them. And of course no one wants anything to do with the racists. 

The current/former Prime Minister (from the largest right-wing party, Moderaterna) resigned yesterday after the results came in, and today the finance minister (of the same party) resigned. Both will leave the party all-together. Probably because they lost the power and their party went down 7%.

I don't see how the oh so important budget proposition will pass.  :doh:

Edited by emelee

Coran and I are preparing for our blessing this weekend. Everything is pretty much in place - the food has been ordered and paid for, the guest list has all been confirmed and the music for the service chosen. Our best friend Sarah Jane is conducting the service, and she has refused to tell us what she has in store, so it will be a total and knowing her, very nice surprise. In many ways this is more important than the wedding itself, as that was just the legal bit - this is the spiritual ceremony which for us at least has much more meaning.

I hope it goes well and will be wonderful :)

8 parties in the Riksdag nowadays, which means no party will ever get more than approx 35% of all votes. The Social Democratic Party (Socialdemokraterna) "won" with 31.3%. But to be able to make decisions, you need 50% of all votes in the Riksdag. They will have to ask other parties to join them in the government, which means ask other parties to "please vote with us on all topics". The social democratic party is closest with the Environment Party (Miljöpartiet) and the Left Party (Vänsterpartiet), but the procentage those 3 parties would come up to is less than 50%. 

So you think the other parties that make up for little over 50% can build a government together? Well, 4 of the 5 parties did make up for the government between 2006-2014. But after this election, they are too small. That 5th party is a party that NO ONE wants to cooperate with. The Sweden Democrates (Sverigedemokraterna) - the anti-immigration party... aka the racists. They got 13% of the votes in the election, making them the 3rd largest party. 

So now, the social democratic party and the environment party will team up, but they only make up for 38% of the votes. The 4 right-wing parties won't cooperate with them. And of course no one wants anything to do with the racists. 

The current/former Prime Minister (from the largest right-wing party, Moderaterna) resigned yesterday after the results came in, and today the finance minister (of the same party) resigned. Both will leave the party all-together. Probably because they lost the power and their party went down 7%.

That sounds very complicated! I hope things will work out.

We visited Westonbirt Aboretum this morning, and had a lovely walk around the Silk Wood.  I actually walked along Palmers Drive which is not my usual route, but thought I'd have a change of scenery.  It was a beautiful morning, and walking through the trees in the peace and quiet was smashing.  Went back to the café at the end of the walk for a cuppa and a read too, so it was a wonderful morning.  

Back home by lunchtime to do a few bits and pieces, and I've been put in charge of cooking dinner tonight (my OH is a brave, brave man :drama:), so I'll be making vegetarian spaghetti bolognese. :D

We have our general election this Saturday and we use the MMP system of voting which sounds similar to yours, Emelee. It does cause complications but I think overall it's a fairer system than first past the post where you can end up with the winning party actually having less overall votes. It can at times allow minority parties to hold the balance of power and puts them in quite a powerful position. There just doesn't seem to be a perfect voting system :dunno: 

A perfect voting system...... Nah, I agree. There isn't one. Switzerland has their people vote on most topics. Democratic and all. But it also forces people to get involved so much more instead of choosing a "package" (a party). The risk as I see it would be that people see a utopian society before them and don't vote realistically. I would love to vote for low taxes, free health care, shorter work days etc etc etc. But in no possible world would that be realistic. That's why we have polititians. 

While I believe 8 major parties is too much, I also believe that 2 parties is too little. You need more than 2 options, or at least should have, but it gets too messy when there are too many options. 

If all major parties got to vote on all topics in the government, it would get messy. So we need to have few parties making all decisions for the period of time they have been elected. Preferably only one. But which one? A party that gets 44% of all votes had 56% NOT voting for them. So a majority did not vote for them. Only 2 parties would take care of the majority problem, but as I said, I believe people should have more than 2 options. What if both parties are against gay rights, what do you vote for then? What if none of the parties want to better the health care at the expense of lower taxes, what do you vote for then? 

So no, there can't exist any perfect voting system. 

If I understand correctly, the US is different in that each state has a Senator and each "county" if you will, has a Representative, for our national legislature.  So, the president can be a democrat, with a republican majority Senate/ House of Representatives.

Each state also has a state legislature, based on the national model, these are also picked by "counties"/ "districts".  Each voting season, we can also vote on state and city propositions, on such things as taxes (City) or Gay Marriage (State).  I've only seen one challenge to Amend the Constitution, which would have defined marriage between a man and a woman (didn't pass, back in, 2010, I believe).  Does that make sense?

Edited by Anna Begins

Urgh, terrible nights sleep last night. I bought some new pillows which are too hard and now feels like I'm sleeping on a wooden plank, and then woke up at 1:30am because it was too hot. Went downstairs and saw temperature outside was 17ºC and 24ºC inside!!!! Had a glass of water then sat up for an hour and a half until I felt a bit more sleepy again, then went back upstairs and opened all the windows but couldn't solve the pillow problem. Have woken up with a bit of a headache this morning and in a bit of a grump  :angry: 

If I understand correctly, the US is different in that each state has a Senator and each "county" if you will, has a Representative, for our national legislature.  So, the president can be a democrat, with a republican majority Senate/ House of Representatives.

Each state also has a state legislature, based on the national model, these are also picked by "counties"/ "districts".  Each voting season, we can also vote on state and city propositions, on such things as taxes (City) or Gay Marriage (State).  I've only seen one challenge to Amend the Constitution, which would have defined marriage between a man and a woman (didn't pass, back in, 2010, I believe).  Does that make sense?

It's different here, but not extremely different. Sweden isn't divided into States, but 21 Län. When we vote, we vote in 3 elections. The government, the Län (in politics called Landsting) and the city. The government make decisions about the country's economy, laws and everything that concerns the entire country. The Län decides about the welfare and infrastructure in that Län. The cities decides everything that only concerns that city. So one party can lead this and that city, and a complete other can be in the government and yet others for the Län. Where I live, the Social Democrates lead both the Län and the city. The same party is also leading the 3 biggest cities in Sweden, Stockholm, Gothenburg & Malmö. 

We also make a difference between the Riksdag and the government. I believe our Riksdag is like the US' House of Representatives. At least something like it. 

All parties that get over 4% of votes in the national election gets seats in the Riksdag. Number of seats depending on how many votes they get. There are 349 seats in the Riksdag. So you will need to work together with other parties to get 175 seats, the majority. The winner(s) will get to build a government. Most things are decided in the Riksdag. They vote on pretty much everything that concerns the nation. The budget plan being the most important. The governent is often the place who comes with the propositions for the Riksdag to vote in. So when they come with something they really want the Riksdag to vote yes for, they better make sure they have enough people in the seats voting their way. That's why you don't want to be in a minority goverment! If your rivals are more than you are, they can make your job very difficult. The winning party, the social democrates, got 31.2% of the votes in the election - so they got 113 seats of the 349 seats in the Riksdag. And as they work the the Greens, they have secured their 24 seats, getting then up to a total of 137 seats. But to make sure they get everything they want on all topics, they will need 175 votes for their propositions. You see the problem? 

The rasists now have 49 seats.  :negative:

When it comes to laws, we have the same laws in the entire country. So gay marriages are allowed in the entire country. 

Today, the speaker for the Riksdag gave the social democrates leader Stefan Löfven the assignemt to build a new government. I don't know when he's officially named our new Prime Minister though.

The same social democratic party that my political idol Olof Palme led up until he was shot and killed in 1986 and the wonderful Jan Eliasson, UN's deputy general secretary, belongs to. 

l%C3%B6fven.jpg olof_palme.jpg jan_eliasson_1.jpg

We also make a difference between the Riksdag and the government. I believe our Riksdag is like the US' House of Representatives. At least something like it. 

All parties that get over 4% of votes in the national election gets seats in the Riksdag. Number of seats depending on how many votes they get. There are 349 seats in the Riksdag. So you will need to work together with other parties to get 175 seats, the majority. The winner(s) will get to build a government. Most things are decided in the Riksdag. They vote on pretty much everything that concerns the nation. The budget plan being the most important. The governent is often the place who comes with the propositions for the Riksdag to vote in. So when they come with something they really want the Riksdag to vote yes for, they better make sure they have enough people in the seats voting their way. That's why you don't want to be in a minority goverment! If your rivals are more than you are, they can make your job very difficult. The winning party, the social democrates, got 31.2% of the votes in the election - so they got 113 seats of the 349 seats in the Riksdag. And as they work the the Greens, they have secured their 24 seats, getting then up to a total of 137 seats. But to make sure they get everything they want on all topics, they will need 175 votes for their propositions. You see the problem? 

The rasists now have 49 seats.  :negative:  

Hmmm.... I see.  The Riksdag is like the Senate more with it's decision making, but the seats and %'s are alike.  What amazes me so much, is just the vast-ness of the parties.  We have 3 parties in our Senate (each state gets just one, but they are more powerful than the House of Representatives, which is decided by population of each state) but the 3rd party, Independent, is very small... I believe only 3 or 4 members.  Lots of libertarians usually pick a "side" Republican or Democrat- one of my "favorite" politicians is a libertarian, but will just not register or run as one, insisting on being a Republican.  He says he won't be taken seriously if he runs as an Libertarian (that's what I am), that at least his voice can be heard by being a Republican.  Unfortunately, he isn't taken seriously anyway.  It's sad because some people with some really good ideas get washed over.   

Edited by Anna Begins

I for one am a little disappointed in some ways that Scotland did not become independent - not because I particularly wanted them to leave the Union, but because it would have been interesting to witness the birth of a new nation so close to home.

I am enjoying a days holiday from work today in preparation for our blessing tomorrow. We have a lot to do getting all the stuff ready to take with us - all the drinks, paper plates etc., list of names to sign people in, order of service leaflets that we had printed, Corans Ipod with the music on it, decorations for the altar, gifts for some of our friends, it is a pretty long list. We also have to go to Sainsbury's this morning for the usual weekly shop. This afternoon after we have done all that, I have booked an appointment at a spa in Epsom that has saunas and steam rooms and different things for a total relax and chill out. That definitely has to be better than work !

Good luck with your Blessing tomorrow June. :smile:

We were away on holiday last week and husband also has this week off from work so we have been doing some jobs from our 'pending' list. The heat / light has been installed in the bathroom, the giant rug has been laid in the living room (after hours of faffing with it!), and a cupboard has been sourced and prepared for the kitchen.

In between we have had long stretches of reading and relaxing. Yesterday we visited a Wildfowl &Wetland centre, walked around it for a couple of hours, fed the birds and ended with a lovely pot of tea. Monday all will be back to 'normal', so I am going to enjoy my relaxed and happy husband while I can! :D

I am enjoying a days holiday from work today in preparation for our blessing tomorrow. We have a lot to do getting all the stuff ready to take with us - all the drinks, paper plates etc., list of names to sign people in, order of service leaflets that we had printed, Corans Ipod with the music on it, decorations for the altar, gifts for some of our friends, it is a pretty long list. We also have to go to Sainsbury's this morning for the usual weekly shop. This afternoon after we have done all that, I have booked an appointment at a spa in Epsom that has saunas and steam rooms and different things for a total relax and chill out. That definitely has to be better than work !

I wish you lots of fun tomorrow :)

We were away on holiday last week and husband also has this week off from work so we have been doing some jobs from our 'pending' list. The heat / light has been installed in the bathroom, the giant rug has been laid in the living room (after hours of faffing with it!), and a cupboard has been sourced and prepared for the kitchen.

In between we have had long stretches of reading and relaxing. Yesterday we visited a Wildfowl &Wetland centre, walked around it for a couple of hours, fed the birds and ended with a lovely pot of tea. Monday all will be back to 'normal', so I am going to enjoy my relaxed and happy husband while I can! :D

I'm glad you're having a good time, Chrissy :).

My sister was here earlier today, she's going on a little holiday today (we live close to the airport her flight leaves from). It was nice to see her again and talk with her.

Chrissy, sounds heavenly!

Talisman, can't wait to see the pictures of the blessing!

Athena, glad you got to chat with your sister!

As for me, I'm home with the little ones. I found a program on through cable called "Tumblebooks." Its pretty cool. The program is an interactive reading app. It takes the books and applies animated action to the stories. The words are highlighted in red so that the kids can "read" along with the narrator. They all seem to love it!

Its kind of dreary outside, we woke up with a mild thunderstorm that quickly disappeared. I do hope it dries up enough so that I can take the kids on a quick outing and to let the dogs out. I realize how small my new home is when four children and two huge horse/dogs are confined inside.

They're already asking about lunch and its not 11am yet. Ugh. I think I'll put the youngest down for a nap and do some school work with the older two. That is, after my cup of tea. Just pulled out my Yorkshire tea and cant for the life of me remember why I haven't been drinking it, its DELICIOUS!!! For some reason, I've been a bit off on the coffee. I can't seem to drink a full cup. So not natural!

Hope it all went well Kell, and congratulations on your exams Anna.

It went really well, thanks - I've been asked to sing at the Battery Xmas dance, so I'm going to do it. :)

Had Xan's 6th birthday party tonight - sea themed party in a lighthouse on an island. They all climbed to the top of the lighthouse then went rockpooling before coming back in for sea-themed party food. They all had a fabulous tie and Xan was so exhausted that he fell asleep within minutes when he went to bed - LOL!

post-3572-0-62393900-1411162840_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-71721100-1411162851_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-61685200-1411162858_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-67038700-1411162864_thumb.jpg

As for me, I'm home with the little ones. I found a program on through cable called "Tumblebooks." Its pretty cool. The program is an interactive reading app. It takes the books and applies animated action to the stories. The words are highlighted in red so that the kids can "read" along with the narrator. They all seem to love it!

Its kind of dreary outside, we woke up with a mild thunderstorm that quickly disappeared. I do hope it dries up enough so that I can take the kids on a quick outing and to let the dogs out. I realize how small my new home is when four children and two huge horse/dogs are confined inside.

They're already asking about lunch and its not 11am yet. Ugh. I think I'll put the youngest down for a nap and do some school work with the older two. That is, after my cup of tea. Just pulled out my Yorkshire tea and cant for the life of me remember why I haven't been drinking it, its DELICIOUS!!! For some reason, I've been a bit off on the coffee. I can't seem to drink a full cup. So not natural!

The app sounds interesting. What kind of dogs do you have? I'm glad you're enjoying your tea :).

Had Xan's 6th birthday party tonight - sea themed party in a lighthouse on an island. They all climbed to the top of the lighthouse then went rockpooling before coming back in for sea-themed party food. They all had a fabulous tie and Xan was so exhausted that he fell asleep within minutes when he went to bed - LOL!

I'm glad Xan had a great time :).

We had a bad thunderstorm last night, it was quite loud. It was leaking upstairs. And there was a mosquito buzzing around my head, so I didn't sleep very well because of all this. I got up in the end, and am still sleepy now.

Hmmm.... I see.  The Riksdag is like the Senate more with it's decision making, but the seats and %'s are alike.  What amazes me so much, is just the vast-ness of the parties.  We have 3 parties in our Senate (each state gets just one, but they are more powerful than the House of Representatives, which is decided by population of each state) but the 3rd party, Independent, is very small... I believe only 3 or 4 members.  Lots of libertarians usually pick a "side" Republican or Democrat- one of my "favorite" politicians is a libertarian, but will just not register or run as one, insisting on being a Republican.  He says he won't be taken seriously if he runs as an Libertarian (that's what I am), that at least his voice can be heard by being a Republican.  Unfortunately, he isn't taken seriously anyway.  It's sad because some people with some really good ideas get washed over.   

It's interesting to see differences, but in all democracies, it's almost the same. 

I think Sweden is leaning towards having less parties. At least that is my feeling. 4 parties joined together in 2006 as an allegiance and they got enough votes to together take over the government. They lost votes in the 2010 election, but kept the power. And now, all 4 parties lost too many votes so they lost the power to the opposition. The social democrates has worked with the Greens and the Left for years, but not in any official allegiance. But in this election, they chose not to work with the Left in the government, so it's now 2 parties trying to build a new government, as I said before. But it shows that it's all teamwork between parties that are most close with each other in ideaology. 

But fortunately, the parties from the left and the parties from the right are willing to work together on some topics, just to keep the anti-immigrants away from power. I hope they can manage that. Cause while 13% voted for the racists, 87% did not. All parties aside from the racists are very strongly against them.  :yes:

I think it's sad to judge a person on what party they belong to --- unless they belong to a racist party of course. Even if you don't agree, take the person at least seriously.