What's Up in September? - 2014

Athena

I for one am a little disappointed in some ways that Scotland did not become independent - not because I particularly wanted them to leave the Union, but because it would have been interesting to witness the birth of a new nation so close to home.

While that would be interesting, it would have caused Scotland some problems to become independant. They would probably not have the right to use the £ anymore. They wouldn't automatically become part of the EU. That would make their Scotch no longer brand protected. Such things. It's easy to say "we want more power", but you have to look at the big picture and see if it's worth it. Since the UK is strong, I don't think it would have been worth it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that would be interesting, it would have caused Scotland some problems to become independant. They would probably not have the right to use the £ anymore. They wouldn't automatically become part of the EU. That would make their Scotch no longer brand protected. Such things. It's easy to say "we want more power", but you have to look at the big picture and see if it's worth it. Since the UK is strong, I don't think it would have been worth it.

From what I know, read and researched and from what Alexi has told me, I was sorta wishing for a no vote too.  I just couldn't see many positives for a yes vote.  Had no idea about the Scotch though!

In the end it doesn't matter anyway re Scotland as they have now made their choice, and only history I guess will tell whether for the Scots it was the right thing. 

Our blessing today though was beautiful. Coran and I did a lot of the setting up last night and it was a good job we did, as we would never have got it all done this morning. One of our friends who plays crystal bowls came and cleared the space for us and helped us with all of it. In the end though, we had 34 people including us and the facilitator, our best friend Sarah Jane.

We had decorated the entrance to the main area where the ceremony was held with a canopy of paper butterflies, which were actually made by the clients where I work - they were originally used as a window display for the shop where they reach them retail skills, and I asked if when they had finished with them, we could have some of them. Once we were in we greeted all our guests as they walked through to the strains of "Blue Danube". Coran and I then sat in the centre opposite Sarah Jane in a circle of various natural objects - shells, leaves, crystals and more paper butterflies, representing the four elements. These were arranged in the shape of a butterfly body, while the chairs on the outside of the circle formed the shape of its wings. The butterfly, for those who don't know is a symbol of transformation through its metamorphosis from caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly, which for Coran and her metamorphosis from male to female and indeed our relationship, is the perfect symbol. Sarah did the opening address, welcoming everybody and speaking a little about our relationship to both her and each other before playing the theme tune to the old TV show Butterflies, "Love is Like a Butterfly" by Clare Torry (Clare is the one who sings on the epic Pink Floyd song "Great Gig in the Sky". Sarah then did the blessing of the rings after which we exchanged our commitments for the second time. She then played "Love" by John Lennon, a song which for us was perfectly appropriate. You could feel the change in energy, and afterwards you could have heard a pin drop. 

Sarah then talked about the meaning of the word intimacy or into me you see, which was part of the commitments that we exchanged and which we had written ourselves.  She then played some music by Icelandic group Sigur Ros - "Ara Batur" - a really powerful piece with choir and stirring strings. During this guests were asked to close their eyes and meditate on what the term intimacy meant to them and then look into the eyes of the person next to them. There were a few tears at this stage ! We then read some words from our favourite science fiction TV show Babylon 5 - the "Declaration of Principles" before the closing address and Nat King Cole's Let's Face the Music and Dance. Coran and I did just that !

Once it was all over we went outside and the guests all lined up forming a tunnel through which we walked. Then it was time for various other photographs and the food. They all commented on how delicious it all was - all vegetarian and gluten free. Finally it was the cutting of the cake and the inevitable clearing up, followed by a much deserved cup of tea.

The nervousness that was present for the wedding itself seemed to be missing today being replaced with a feeling of alertness, joy and elation. The wedding I feel was or us but the blessing today was for everyone and affected everyone who was there in one way or another. Our special guest was our first spiritual teacher, who introduced us 19 years long ago - it wasn't until 2 years later than we actually became a couple. 2 of our other friends travelled all the way down from Liverpool - it was lovely to meet them for the first time, while another of our friends who moved to the West Country a few years ago, also made the effort, staying last night with a friend nearby. It was though a really special day and one I am sure they will all remember. :smile:

Your Blessing sounds lovely, June!  Congrats to you both :)

I was disappointed with the 'better together' no votes winning out in Scotland.  I can't help it, I guess, I just like the idea of independence ;)

I'm sorry I've been away so long!  I forget that life gets in the way of the fun stuff sometimes, like BCF and all its lovely members. 

It sounds like you've had a great week off, Chrissy.  I was off this week as well and spent 4 days in Chicago.  We had a blast!  Two friends and I drove there (it's about a 6 hour drive) and spent most of our time at the Institute of Arts as well as wandering around and exploring.  The views from the top of the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) were amazing, and Navy Pier was fun too, not to mention all the good restaurants we visited.  On our drive down we stopped in a little town in Wisconsin and I was able to visit the grave of my 3rd great-grandfather, so I was really glad I was able to do that.

Oh, and I also got a new little kitty!  My Sascha passed away in June of this year so I've been visiting a shelter for the past couple of weeks and finally settled on little Odin, an orange tabby.  I'll post a photo of him in the pet thread :D.

It sounds like it!  How wonderful your friend tailored it so perfectly for you and even tied in the intimacy part.  I love that.

She is indeed a very good friend - the best kind in the world. Even though she has a lot of health problems and is often in pain, she knew that this was something that she needed to do, and so battled through it with a big smile. I said to her at the end of the ceremony after Nat King Cole had finished playing, that in the words of another of his songs "It Had to be You". Our friends all loved that one, but it was true, it really could not have been anyone else.   

• 2 weeks later...