The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

Michelle

The other night I was watching a documentry called the Narnia Code. It's about the seven books relating to the seven planets that people once thought were in the solar system... in the medieval times...

I saw that, very interesting.

I was quite surprised there weren't more dissenting voices to the theory - 'cause if there is one thing academics love to do it is argue - but with the exception of one of the pundits they all seemed pretty sold on the idea.

I have seen the two films that have been released and thought they were brilliant, especially the first one! I think I may read the books at some point, although I do hate seeing film adaptions first because I enjoy getting me own ideas of the characters. I also hate seeing the films after because they never get it right. Well, not MY right anyway! :roll:

• 1 month later...
I also hate seeing the films after because they never get it right. Well, not MY right anyway! :razz:

Actually I have very high standards of movies that are based off of books and I thought that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was very accurate. I thought they did a very good job of making it.

on the other hand, Prince Caspian was off a whole lot. I thought that it would also be similar to the book since the first movie was, but I was wrong. hollywood is so messed up. :friends0:

• 4 months later...

the-silver-chair.jpg

Amazon synopsis:

The Narnia Chronicles, first published in 1950, remain some of the most enduringly popular ever published. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, has been translated into 29 languages! The illustrations in this book have been coloured by the original artist, Pauline Baynes. Now published with the original cover, as designed by Pauline Baynes. "We've got to go north," said Edmund, "and reach the ruins of a giant city." Prince Rilian, Caspian's beloved son, has mysteriously disappeared, and Jill and Eustace are brought into Narnia by Aslan, the great Lion, to find him. But an evil enchantress has dire plans for the prince, and for Narnia...This is the sixth adventure in the exciting Chronicles of Narnia.

I enjoyed this book. It is the sixth book in The Chronicles of Narnia series and good fun. We met Eustace in the previous book and he has grown up and is more likable in this adventure. The children are on a mission to find the lost Prince, and as ever C.S. Lewis fills the story with all kinds of excitment and perils, such as the underground world and the giants city.

Even as an adult I enjoyed this book, and the series. They contain everything you could want - a good storyline, likable characters and well written verse. This is a fantasy adventure, and thoroughly worth reading. It is a gripping book, and I wanted to see how Lewis would complete this particular tale.

My favourite character is the Marshwiggle Puddlegum. He made me laugh - especially as he is so negative and yet believed he was the most upbeat of them all!

I would recommend this book to everyone - adults and children alike.

8/10

I want to really get into this series, i have the first and second, but have yet to read the second. I really loved The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe though :D

I really want to continue with these, but I've got up to The Horse and His Boy and I keep looking at it... and then putting it off, and I don't know why.

I read them years ago, of course, but have no real recollection of the story so I don't know why I can't seem to fancy this one. :D

the-last-battle.jpg

Amazon synopsis:

"To my side, all true Narnians! Would you wait till your new masters have killed you one by one?" A false Aslan is commanding all Narnians to work for the cruel Calormenes and striking terror into every heart. Jill and Eustace find themselves called into Narnia once more, this time to aid King Tirian in the mightiest of all battles This is the seventh adventure in the exciting Chronicles of Narnia.

This is the final book in The Chronicles of Narnia series. All seven books have been full of adventure and excitement, and all of Christian themes. This book fitted well into that. This book is full of deception and battles. This is an exciting book, and both children and adult.

Throughout the whole book there are clear parallels of what is written in Revelation. This didn't spoil the book for me but it did make the ending more predictable.

There were a few things I didn't like about this book:

- I didn't like the ending and how Lewis set it up so no further books could be written

- For once, there were several characters I wasn't keen on

- I missed Susan - the rest of the children returned to Narnia but she didn't.

However, this was exciting and fun. I liked the battles and of course Aslan and the return of the children. This is my least favourite book but I did still enjoy it.

7/10

My least favorite was The Horse and His Boy. I dont know why, I just couldnt get into it.

Having said that, has anyone listened to the Focus On The Family version of The Chronicles of Narnia? Now this is a true masterpiece. Its not read word for word. They are actors playing each part, like the old time radio programs with sound effects and everything. We listen to this yearly. I've never heard the sound of frying fish sound more realistic. We had to go and buy fish to fry for dinner that very nigh;)

• 2 months later...

the-lion-the-witch-and-the-wardrobe.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

The most loved of all the Chronicles, this wonderful tale can be enjoyed again and again. Lucy steps into the Professor's wardrobe but steps out again into a snowy forest. She's stumbled upon the magical world of Narnia, land of unicorns, centaurs, fauns! and the wicked White Witch, who terrorises all. Lucy soon realises that Narnia, and in particular Aslan, the great Lion, needs her help if the country's creatures are ever going to be free again.

This is the second book in the Narnia series, and my personal favourite. This is the first time the children: Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy enter Narnia. Awaiting them are many adventures, including running through the countryside with the Beavers, and fighting alongside Aslan.

I loved this book. It is a children's book but fully enjoyable for an adult. Lewis is a wonderful writer. He pulled me in and made me want to follow the story. It did not matter that I already knew this story, it was fun to read it again. Lewis is descriptive and writes wonderful adventures and amazing characters.

It is hard to pick a favourite character. I think the Beavers probably win. I found it highly amusing that Mrs. Beaver wanted to take things like a portable oven with her as she fled from the White Witch. On the other side, I really didn't like the White Witch. She was rude, short-tempered and deceptive. I loved that Lewis wrote her so well that I had such strong feelings towards her.

It is clear that this book is based on Christianity and the Resurrection of Christ, but this did not spoil the book for me and I thought that Aslan was a great character.

Even for adults, this is an amazing story. For children, I think they will love it.

5/5

• 1 year later...