Your Book Activity - June 2014

I am "settled" at the moment, cozy with Empress Orchid by Anchee Min (which is really fabulous btw.  If you liked Pearl S Buck (Min was actually friends with Buck) or Wild Swans, definitely get a hold of this one.  I imagine her others, by description are just as interesting; I got a bunch of her Kindle Samples last night.  Also cruising along with Mr. Mercedes, 20% in.  Both are so good, I have a hard time deciding which one to read.

And the film with Ian Mckellen playing the nazi Dussander & Brad Renfro playing Todd is a worthy adaptation of the story.

That sounds Awesome!

When do you think you'll get to Mr Mercedes?

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am "settled" at the moment, cozy with Empress Orchid by Anchee Min (which is really fabulous btw.  If you liked Pearl S Buck (Min was actually friends with Buck) or Wild Swans, definitely get a hold of this one.  I imagine her others, by description are just as interesting; I got a bunch of her Kindle Samples last night.  Also cruising along with Mr. Mercedes, 20% in.  Both are so good, I have a hard time deciding which one to read.

That sounds Awesome!

When do you think you'll get to Mr Mercedes?

I dont really know, i am up to Different Seasons so far so it would take me ages to get to Mr Mercedes and i don't think i can wait that long!! So i'll probably end up reading it soon. How many pages is Mr Mercedes?

I dont really know, i am up to Different Seasons so far so it would take me ages to get to Mr Mercedes and i don't think i can wait that long!! So i'll probably end up reading it soon. How many pages is Mr Mercedes?

Not long at all, actually.  450 pages.

After giving up on Midnight's Children, I've started The World Without Us for next months reading circle discussion. Enjoying it so far, which is a relief! :D

I'm glad to read this :). I plan to read it once I'm finished with Judas Unchained. I'm over half way now and I'm enjoying it a lot. There are a few pacing issues but overall I'm quite enjoying it.

I also really enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why and I think I read The Neverending Story when I was a child at the library. I love the story anyway.

I've had to put down The Neverending Story for a while at least, it's not grabbing me anymore :( 

I'm about 120 pages into The Bookstore now, and it's definitely got a foot in reality and less the romcom I'd been expecting from the cover! :D

Based on your two posts about the book on this thread, I'm already adding it to my wishlist :D 

I started and finished three books yesterday. They were all Finnish YA books, re-reads from my childhood. What a great trip to the past :smile2: 

I've now started The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm hoping to finish it today :) 

I'm sorry to read that :(. It's great to re-read some books from one's childhood, isn't it :smile2:?

I might go back to the book, though, the fight's not over yet! The problem is I have too many great library loans at the moment that I'm dying to get into :blush: 

Yes, I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip with my books these days :wub: 

The problem is I have too many great library loans at the moment that I'm dying to get into :blush:

Yes, I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip with my books these days :wub:

I'm glad you're enjoying your nostalgia, that can be very nice in my opinion. Too many books, too little time.. I hope you enjoy the ones you get around to reading :).

Based on your two posts about the book on this thread, I'm already adding it to my wish list :D

Well, I finished it this morning, and I'm more ambivalent about it now! I'll have to write some proper thoughts on it, as I still can't make up my mind if I liked it or not. :dunno:

In other bookish activity … I started Hatchet Job by Mark Kermode - all about film criticism and not just bad reviews, but some of the worst, damning reviews he's come across. Love it.

Well, I finished it this morning, and I'm more ambivalent about it now! I'll have to write some proper thoughts on it, as I still can't make up my mind if I liked it or not. :dunno:

Oh wow, that was a twist I didn't expect! :(  :empathy:

Really enjoying Care of Wooden Floors by Will Wiles .. though it's making me anxious  :unsure: Also enjoying Trawler by Redmond O Hanlon. Hopefully going to the seaside for a couple of days next week so trying to decide which books to take. I'll still be reading Trawler I expect .. and I think I might take Captain Corelli's Mandolin with me as well as that seems like a good book to read in the sunshine (hope I haven't put a jinx on the weather  :blush2: ) It's long been on the shelf so it's about time I gave it a go. Hope the book is better than the film :blush2:  

After giving up on Midnight's Children, I've started The World Without Us for next months reading circle discussion. Enjoying it so far, which is a relief! :D

Sorry about the former, but delighted about the latter. :)

I have started the third of the Roman series, Fortune's Favorites by Colleen McCullough. Door stoppers that they are!

No review yet, probably write one for however many more I read in this stretch. I don't want to be too repetitive.

Although I do want to get to the reading circle book for July soon as well.

I began my first audio book today!  I decided to start with Thirteen Reasons Why and I got the book along with it to try out Kindle's program where it reads along with the book.  Pretty cool, but pricey!  Whew.  I think it may end up being just a treat for me every now and again- if I take to it, that is.  So far, so good.

Edited by Anna Begins

In the process of moving to my parents (temporary only of course). Most my books are packed down in boxes. There is no order. I have very few options to choose right now. ;)

Good luck with the move :).

I've read 826 out of 1235 pages of Judas Unchained, so I should have it finished in some days.

About 50% through Mr. Mercedes and Empress Orchid by Anchee Min and 30% into 13 Reasons Why (audio book).  All 3 are so different and great.  I don't think I've ever had 3 books going at once. 

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished Hatchet Job by Mark Kermode, all about film criticism and very enjoyable it was, although I suspect if you don't like him, or you don't know who he is, it probably won't be your cup of tea. :D

I've also caught up with nearly all my outstanding reviews over on my book blog, and came across my old copy of A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle on the bookshelf when I was looking something up, so I think I'm going to start a re-read of that again now.  It was the first travel book I read, and started an ongoing fascination with reading accounts of people who move abroad, particularly in Europe.

Oh wow, that was a twist I didn't expect! :(  :empathy:

Wait till you read my review of it over in my book blog! I still can't make up my mind. :giggle2:

Just finished '16 Lighthouse Road' by Debbie Macomber......nice easy read.

Just starting 'The Distance Between Us' by Maggie O'Farrell ....been on my shelf for a while and haven't read this author in a while.

I'm re-reading A Year in Provence and realised it's been over 20 years since I first read it!  It's long enough ago that I've forgotten the details, but still fresh enough in my memory that I can still remember the characters, and I'm really enjoying it so far. :D

Finished Stephen King's Different Seasons. Probably choose Shawshank as my favourite story although Apt Pupil follows very closely but i also love The Body (aka Stand By Me). I loved the closeness of the four friends and the journey they went on, made me want to be a part of their gang.

Just finished George Saunders' Tenth of December.. amazing!!

I'm halfway through The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson (who is the author of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared)  I'm loving it.

But there's another book in my bag right now, and I can't wait to start it too .. it's called Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club, written by Benjamin Alire Saenz (never heard of him before, I must admit).

Edited by Eleonora