Your Book Activity - June 2014

I'm halfway through The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson (who is the author of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared)  I'm loving it.

I hope I can get to that this year!  I think I just might :smile: Will you write a review when finished?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway through The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson (who is the author of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared)  I'm loving it.

But there's another book in my bag right now, and I can't wait to start it too .. it's called Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club, written by Benjamin Alire Saenz (never heard of him before, I must admit).

Great to read that, the book is on my wishlist. I haven't heard of Everything Begins and Ends at the Kentucky Club but another book by that author is on my wishlist, called Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

I'm reading Alan Weisman - The World Without Us for the Reading Circle of July. I'm over a third of the way through and am enjoying it though it's not as relaxing as reading fiction.

I put down Fortune's Favorites by Colleen McCullough about 150 pages in, it is the third in the Roman series, and having read the first two in quick succession all of a sudden I was just fed up with all things Roman (for the moment!). 

So, now I'm about 75% through Diana Gabaldon's Written in My Own Heart's Blood.  I'm sad to say it doesn't measure up to some of the previous books in the series, IMO.  But it's pretty good.  Very unresolvy. 

I'd given in and bought the e-book.  I'm not 100% sure I'll bother with the hard copy.

Just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King.  Was pleasantly surprised that he thanked Joe Hill for helping him some, because I could totally hear some Joe Hill in there.  Review in my thread, NO spoilers.  I am still struggling with 13 Reasons Why.  I'm bored with it and want to move on, but I'm about 35% in.

I put down Fortune's Favorites by Colleen McCullough about 150 pages in, it is the third in the Roman series, and having read the first two in quick succession all of a sudden I was just fed up with all things Roman (for the moment!). 

Aw!  You were enjoying those too!

Edited by Anna Begins

So, now I'm about 75% through Diana Gabaldon's Written in My Own Heart's Blood.  I'm sad to say it doesn't measure up to some of the previous books in the series, IMO.  But it's pretty good.  Very unresolvy. 

I'd given in and bought the e-book.  I'm not 100% sure I'll bother with the hard copy.

It's a shame you're a bit stuck on the Roman series and that the Diana Gabaldon book isn't as good as the previous ones. Don't let mojo get you down!

Just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King.  Was pleasantly surprised that he thanked Joe Hill for helping him some, because I could totally hear some Joe Hill in there.  Review in my thread, NO spoilers.  I am still struggling with 13 Reasons Why.  I'm bored with it and want to move on, but I'm about 35% in.

It's a shame you're not really enjoying it so much. Anything particular about it that bothers you?

It's a shame you're not really enjoying it so much. Anything particular about it that bothers you?

Those tapes just keep going and going!  Ugh.  I'm only on the 3rd tape!  Plus the whole time the guy keeps wondering over and over "where am I on those tapes? Who will be the next to fall" or something.  If I had proper funds, I just might drop it.  BUT I have a pretty strict rule against giving up a book once started...so we will see!

I quite enjoyed reading Hannah's backstory. I hope you will enjoy it more later on. Otherwise, it might be better to start another book. I'm the same though, I don't like giving up on a book.

I'm over halfway through in the July Reading Circle book, it's pretty interesting but also a little worrying. It makes me wonder what we're doing exactly as humans (more thoughts will be in my review once I've finished it). I've ordered a (technical) book on ADD so I look forward to reading that soon as well as starting Sinéad Moriarty - Emma Huntington 4: Mad About You. The first three books in the series are some of my favourite books so I was quite happy when I found out a new one was published, so I want to read it pretty soon.

Edited by Athena

I quite enjoyed reading Hannah's backstory. I hope you will enjoy it more later on. Otherwise, it might be better to start another book. I'm the same though, I don't like giving up on a book.

I won't give up, but I just bought World Without End by Ken Follett.  It's 1000 pages, should hold me over til payday (and then some!)  Probably finish on the 6th or close- I think 13 Reasons Why will be my July read- a- thon book- which will slow me down a bit.

Aw!  You were enjoying those too!

It's a shame you're a bit stuck on the Roman series and that the Diana Gabaldon book isn't as good as the previous ones. Don't let mojo get you down!

Oh, I'll get back to the Roman series, no doubt about it!  But after a thousand pages or so of it, I just pooped out. :D

I'll write a review of the Gabaldon, as finished it late last night, er, really early this morning.  The last quarter was some better, but I still think I will stick with a 3/5 rating.  I'm just a bit tired, after the late night and the travelling on the weekend.

I finished More Bitter Than Death by Camilla Grebe.  I nearly gave up on this early on, but wanted to find out what happened.  I wish I had given up.  The story was good, the writing wasn't.  It jumped around all over the place and it was hard to figure out what was going on.

Nearly finished with The World Without Us. It's been very interesting so far.

I also bought I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It caught my eye and seems interesting. Anyone read it?

I just finished The World Without Us yesterday, I'm glad to read you find it very interesting too :).

I haven't read I Am Pilgrim, but in several book shops here in my town it's being advertised as a very popular and good book. I don't know if that means anything or not, but apparently lots of people like it :).

I think I will read Sinéad Moriarty - Emma Huntington 4: Mad About You next, and J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen once it arrives.

Edited by Athena

Finished reading the wonderful The Taste of Apple Seeds - I really want to read more European literature, as most of the ones I've read have been excellent.  This is by a German author, Katharina Hagena, and was very moving.

It's the start of Independent Booksellers Week in the UK today, so I made the effort to go to one of my favourite indie bookshops this morning, Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath this morning.  Bought a fabulous selection of books:

Poppy by Mary Hooper

Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Dispute Over A Very Italian Piglet by Amara Lakhous

Our Garden Birds by Matt Sewell

Our Woodland Birds by Matt Sewell

Seemed a shame to walk past Waterstone's while I was there, so popped in for a quick browse, and came out with The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin after hearing about it on the BBC Radio 4 programme, A Good Read, this week.

The only question now is … what do I read first?! :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm taking a break today.  I'm just so bored- not just with reading, but everything else too!  Anyway, looking forward to the new Divergent- the 4 stories from Four's perspective, will be out on the 8th.  Maybe THAT will kill the boredom.  I hope they are good and not a gimmick.

A third through Mr Mercedes. It's good so far, and a pretty easy read. I'm hoping to finish it today. :readingtwo:

Wow- that was fast!

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett a few hours ago. As with all of Pratchett's books, it was a good read, although not his best. My next book by him is going to be Going Postal, but first I'm going to read a few chapters of Sarah Hall's book The Electric Michelangelo.

Edited by Angury

Finished Mr Mercedes. Enjoyed it, but wish it was longer. :readingtwo:

Not sure what to read now. I'm still part way through The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins so I may carry on with that. I also may read a fiction along side it - it's just deciding which one.