Your Book Activity - May 2014

I finished The True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole, Margaret Hilda Roberts and Sue Townsend by Sue Townsend this morning.   Not as good as diaries 1 and 2, but I'll keep going with the series.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm STILL waiting for May's RC book to be available from the library, so I've started Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy which should keep me busy for a while!

so I've started Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy which should keep me busy for a while!

I love Far from The Madding Crowd, i first read it at school because i had to but didn't really appreciate it till i was older  :smile:

Oh right, it's May! I'm currently reading short(er) (read-a-thon) books. Once the read-a-thon is over, I plan to read more about ADD and to start the fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I'll also have reviews to write and I have to put my new books in the database of Book Collector and on GoodReads.

I finished The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver last night and started Praying for Sleep by the same author. I only read about 20 pages before falling asleep so I'm not sure if my mojo is willing to continue with that book today. Thumbs up and fingers crossed.

Finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  Review in my thread.

Started Jack Reacher 14 this morning, called 61 Hours.  I haven't read Jack Reacher 13 because it is in the first person and I'm not sure I want to read a Reacher book in the first person- I'm afraid it might ruin the series.   It got good reviews though.

While not enough for the read-a-thon, I did manage to read three books yesterday. :D 

The last two of the RC books, A Month in the Country by J.L. Carr and The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West. (both short books, the latter really a novella).

Then I read How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny.  About as far from WWI as I could get!  /giggle/

What's next?, what's next?  :readingtwo:  :b7ydance:  Ah jes dunno!

I've had a lovely day catching up with some reviews, updating my book lists and have also started reading The Bookshop That Floated Away. :smile2:

What a lovely sounding title! I hope it didn't float too far :D

I'm going through my TBR list, trying to find something to suit my current mood... Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for. I'd like a bit of fluff but I don't know if it'll grab me... Also, I don't think I have a lot of romance novels and the ones I can think of, I don't want to read at the moment. And I can't go to bed empty handed, I haven't done that in years :D Angst!

Last night I started reading a diary by a Finnish female author, Eeva Kilpi (I haven't read any of her novels so far), and I also started a fictional novel, The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver. I didn't get very far with either book, but I was very much enjoying the diary and the Deaver book seems really grabbing :smile2:

Still reading The Slap Christos Tsiolkas less than 150 pages to go & really enjoying it.I've got my bookgroup meeting tonight & we're having a visit from a local author Rebecca Muddiman, looking forward to it  :smile:

Yesterday I started Drive by James Sallis.  There is a sequel, Driven, as well.  That'll be next.  Both fairly short books. 

James Sallis is the same author that writes the Lew Griffin (I think that's the correct spelling) series about a private investigator in New Orleans back in the 1960's or so.  He also writes stand alone stories.  Very distinctive. 

Not getting on at all well with Far From the Madding Crowd. Am having to force myself to read 20 pages at a time and would consider abandoning...but for the fact it's a classic and I feel it must get better, and it's on the English Counties Challenge list.

Please god it gets better... I'm just under halfway through.

Not getting on at all well with Far From the Madding Crowd. Am having to force myself to read 20 pages at a time and would consider abandoning...but for the fact it's a classic and I feel it must get better, and it's on the English Counties Challenge list.

Please god it gets better... I'm just under halfway through.

I really struggled with it too. In my opinion it gets much better, but perhaps not for a while.

Oh dear.  :(

Have you read any other of his books.

Not yet, but my Dad has been trying to get me to read the Mayor of Casterbridge for ages because it's one of his favourites.

I really struggled with it too. In my opinion it gets much better, but perhaps not for a while.

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! That I'm not alone and that I should persevere! :D