Your Book Activity - May 2014

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The House of Velvet and Glass last week and have started Inferno by Dan Brown.  I felt I needed something fast and easy a bit of a letdown with the Katherine Howe book.

I'm currently reading Laura van Bouchout - JobShopper, a non-fiction Belgian book about a 29-year-old woman who tries out 30 jobs (before she's 30), to see if she can find her dream job. The book has nice illustrations and photos in it too.

For a fiction read, I plan to soon start A Dance with Dragons 2: After the Feast, part two of the fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

Just got back from my hollybobs, so have been whittling down my TBR on my Kindle.  Have to admit, went for all the easy reads, as it was too relaxing a holiday to tax my brain too much!  Currently reading The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster, which, so far, is very predictable and unoriginal, but I'll keep going with it for now, just to see me through the day.

Bought Artful by Ali Smith and The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness while away, and looking forward to reading something with a bit more meat on the bones soon. :D

I love reading these two books together!  I will have to spend more time reading two at once.

80% done with Jack Reacher No 13 Gone Tomorrow.  30% into Pillars of the Earth.  I'm enjoying them both immensely.

I downloaded the Kindle Sample and am just on the Clive story now.  I hope the sample at least includes the whole story!  Interesting that Damnation Game was mentioned in the intro, I didn't know it fit in with the genre.  I haven't read that one yet so...

The Clive Barker story, Sex, Death And Sunshine, is from Books Of Blood Vol1.

The Clive Barker story, Sex, Death And Sunshine, is from Books Of Blood Vol1.

Ah- I have only read Yattering and Jack  because I've been waiting so darn long to read it!  The whole volume will hopefully be read this year though.

Still reading Angle of Repose by Stegner.  It mostly just doesn't draw me back to it.  Many parts are wonderful, and his descriptions are absolutely wonderful to read, but many other times, I just wish he'd get on with it!  Gad Zooks!  I'm more than halfway through, and it's 539 pages all together.  /sigh/  I'm almost afraid if I start something in conjunction with it, I'll never go back.  /more sighs/

Ah- I have only read Yattering and Jack  because I've been waiting so darn long to read it!  The whole volume will hopefully be read this year though.

I loved The Yattering and Jack,

Haven't managed to get any reading done, but I have bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite. :blush2: My Kindle Keyboard still works ok, but my justification is that I'll use my Kindle Keyboard for my study books, and keep my 'recreational reading' on my Paperwhite. Not much of a justification, I know. :giggle2: It arrives on Monday, and I'm quite excited! :boogie:

Yesterday, I bought Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, for £0.99. :boogie:  I've also realised that Stephen King's latest (Mr Mercedes) will be out on 3rd June, so that's something to look forward to as well.

I hope you really enjoy your Kindle Paperwhite! I've never had a Kindle Keyboard but I really like the Paperwhite.

I hope you enjoy Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, I really enjoyed it.

I finished reading Laura van Bouchout - Jobshopper yesterday and am now thinking of what to read next. I might read an information book first before I start on A Dance with Dragons 2: After the Feast.

Edited by Athena

Haven't managed to get any reading done, but I have bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite. :blush2: My Kindle Keyboard still works ok, but my justification is that I'll use my Kindle Keyboard for my study books, and keep my 'recreational reading' on my Paperwhite. Not much of a justification, I know. :giggle2: It arrives on Monday, and I'm quite excited! :boogie:

Ya but aren't they so darn FUN?!  I LOVE LOVE my Kindles- all the ones I had- ok 3 but I love them.  I have a Fire now.  For school of course :giggle2: I liked my Papperwite best, but my Fire holds no comparison.  I guard it like crazy.  Is it as easy to find books for school on it as I've been hearing?

I'm looking forward to the new King too!

I hope you really enjoy your Kindle Paperwhite! I've never had a Kindle Keyboard but I really like the Paperwhite.

I hope you enjoy Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure I will enjoy it (the Paperwhite, and the book). I love having a new gadget to play with. :boogie:

Ya but aren't they so darn FUN?!  I LOVE LOVE my Kindles- all the ones I had- ok 3 but I love them.  I have a Fire now.  For school of course :giggle2: I liked my Papperwite best, but my Fire holds no comparison.  I guard it like crazy.  Is it as easy to find books for school on it as I've been hearing?

I love my Kindle far more than I thought I would, and I'm sure I'll always have one (or two) from now on. All those books you can carry around with you - how great is that?! I know they do some textbooks on Amazon, but my course provider took ages to make them available for the Kindle. This is my third year of studying, and it's only this current semester that I have been able to study on the Kindle. It took a bit of getting used to, but it saves on space.

I'm sure I will enjoy it (the Paperwhite, and the book). I love having a new gadget to play with. :boogie:

I love my Kindle far more than I thought I would, and I'm sure I'll always have one (or two) from now on. All those books you can carry around with you - how great is that?! I know they do some textbooks on Amazon, but my course provider took ages to make them available for the Kindle. This is my third year of studying, and it's only this current semester that I have been able to study on the Kindle. It took a bit of getting used to, but it saves on space.

Ah- so they have to be made available by the teacher.  Gosh, I hope mine are!  Now that I'm reading two books at once, it is SO nice as I can't imagine dragging around 1000 pages in books!

oh and to fit with the thread, I finished the 13th of the Jack Reacher books and now am reading Rules of Prey by John Standford.  Compared to Lee Child and Reacher, this book is badly written, slow and simple.  If I wasn't so strapped for cash right now, I'd give it up for later.  Oh well, I'll tough it out, I guess.

Still LOVING Pillars of the Earth and was shocked yesterday to realized I'm at 40%!  I don't know what to do when it's done.  Ever done that?  Felt like a book was so good, it can't possibly be replaced with the next?

Edited by Anna Begins

I've read Pillars of the Earth twice, last time was about 9 years ago though.  I loved it too. :)

Still halfway through Angle of Repose. /sigh/  But!!  I'm also 61% through the first Dresden File book, Storm Front..  I'm liking it a lot. :D

oh and to fit with the thread, I finished the 13th of the Jack Reacher books and now am reading Rules of Prey by John Standford.  Compared to Lee Child and Reacher, this book is badly written, slow and simple.  If I wasn't so strapped for cash right now, I'd give it up for later.  Oh well, I'll tough it out, I guess.

I read John Sandford's Prey series when I was younger, and enjoyed them at the time. I recently re-read one of them and was shocked by how bad it was! I think you summed it up correctly with the word 'simple'.

Still LOVING Pillars of the Earth and was shocked yesterday to realized I'm at 40%!  I don't know what to do when it's done.  Ever done that?  Felt like a book was so good, it can't possibly be replaced with the next?

I must give this a re-read....so glad you are enjoying it. :smile:

I got to page 300 of Vanity Fair last night, and thought, thank goodness, I'm halfway there! And then this morning I found out that the book has more than 800 pages :rolleyes: The frustration!

x

Awww :(!

I've started to read George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 5: A Dance with Dragons 2: After the Feast.

Another vote for Pillars of the Earth, it really hooks you in doesn't it  :smile:

I got to page 300 of Vanity Fair last night, and thought, thank goodness, I'm halfway there! And then this morning I found out that the book has more than 800 pages :rolleyes: The frustration! 

I love Vanity Fair, Becky Sharp is such a great character, hope you enjoy it Frankie  :D

It feels like quite awhile since i last posted so i finished The Slap which i thoroughly enjoyed & then made a start on Midnight's Children  Salman Rushdie for next month's Reading Circle. I've only got about 100 pages left to go, i wont say too much at the moment but i am enjoying it though it's not a quick read as there's a lot to take in  :smile:

I love Vanity Fair, Becky Sharp is such a great character, hope you enjoy it Frankie  :D

It's weird for me: I'm not fan of the plot, or there doesn't seem to be that much happening, and also I don't really like any of the characters, apart from Dobbin :wub: But still I'm oddly enjoying reading the book. It's my first classic book I'm reading in English since forever, so I'm happy it's going good :)

It feels like quite awhile since i last posted so i finished The Slap which i thoroughly enjoyed & then made a start on Midnight's Children  Salman Rushdie for next month's Reading Circle. I've only got about 100 pages left to go, i wont say too much at the moment but i am enjoying it though it's not a quick read as there's a lot to take in  :smile:

I'm happy to hear you liked The Slap! I haven't gotten around to it yet but it's one of those books I really want to like :) And I'm happy you're enjoying the Rushdie book (wouldn't it be awful if you hated it, being the host and having to read the book!) :)

Another vote for Pillars of the Earth, it really hooks you in doesn't it  :smile:

Glad to hear you are enjoying Midnight's Children.

In the past, I've started it twice with no luck. :(