The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

I

I don't think Matthew McConaughey gets enough credit.  I really want to see Dallas Buyer's Club:

McConaughey lost 47 pounds (21 kg) for the role, going from 183 pounds (83 kg) to 136 pounds (62 kg).  He reportedly stayed indoors in his Texas mansion for six months to become paler and ceased socializing. When he reached as low as 143 lbs, his eyesight began to fail.  He began to feel extremely weak to the point that he would be sore from doing five push-ups and his legs would lock up after running 30 feet.  Jared Leto lost over 30 pounds (14 kg) for the role and confessed to having stopped eating to lose weight quicker; his lowest record weight was 114 pounds (52 kg).

BTW- It's good to see you around again, Frankie :smile:

I used to dislike McConaughey but now I really think that he's one fine actor :yes: And yes, he was very skeleton-like in the movie, as was Jared Leto! :o It was a bit painful to watch them :( I didn't know he stayed indoors for so long, I have to say it sounds risky (because you can go cuckoo!) but on the other hand I really admire him for it. Thanks for the info, it's made me appreciate him even more :smile2:

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12years-1.jpg

As a movie, 3/5

As a book adaptation, 3/5

That's hard marking Anna!

I haven't read the book or watched the film yet although they are both on my list.

How did you think the film fell down then for you? Did they deviate from the book a lot?  Was it too hollywoodized? I am very interested in this one. 

lizzy.jpg

(5/5)  Ricci is chilling as Lizzie.  Originally a made for TV movie, it just came out on Netflix.

It's funny you should mention this because I was just reading up on Lizzie Borden the other day (I think it must have been mentioned in Erik Larson's Devil in the White City, so I was inspired to look it up). I look forward to watching this. It's an intriguing story!

Last night we watched a little film called Page Eight.  Bill Nighy and Rachel Weisz were fantastic in their roles. Apparently this installment is part of the Worricker Trilogy.  Now to hunt down the rest of the trilogy.  :)

That's hard marking Anna!

I haven't read the book or watched the film yet although they are both on my list.

How did you think the film fell down then for you? Did they deviate from the book a lot?  Was it too hollywoodized? I am very interested in this one. 

It was Hollywood-ized, IMO.  The book wasn't as graphic as the movie, it's almost like they felt like they needed to make a horrific slave movie, just because slavery was brutal, not because of the book's story.  I mean, there is bad stuff that happens in the book, don't get me wrong- but the way Solomon Northup writes it, is first person, past tense, so it is with detraction and no mystery what is going to happen.  That wasn't captured in the movie at all. 

I also had to take some issue with the character Brad Pitt plays.  He was in it for less than 5 minutes, while being the key player in the last, maybe 15% of the book.  I would say it was just a "normal" read and a "normal" movie- but I do think both are worthwhile.  I have heard of people walking out during this movie.

Edited by Anna Begins

Isn't that the book/film that was made from a diary or journal that the real person wrote back at the time? 

If so, it seemed to me when I read the article about it that the man was being exploited, all over again. 

Isn't that the book/film that was made from a diary or journal that the real person wrote back at the time? 

If so, it seemed to me when I read the article about it that the man was being exploited, all over again. 

Yes, it is Solomon Northup's memoirs/ autobiography.  And I think exploitation is a good word for it, they took his story and Steve McQueen made it his own.  No beating around the bush.

Yes, it is Solomon Northup's memoirs/ autobiography.  And I think exploitation is a good word for it, they took his story and Steve McQueen made it his own.  No beating around the bush.

Right, thanks, I thought so.  They took this mans suffering and made money from it, all in the guise of "telling his story".  hah and grrrrr.

Well, we've finished the second season of House of Cards, the American version.  WOW!  Just WOW! 

It came out a while ago, but the price of the DVD was just too high.  Then I noticed last week that the price was down to less than half.  Hadda get it. :D  Well worth it!

Well, we've finished the second season of House of Cards, the American version.  WOW!  Just WOW! 

It came out a while ago, but the price of the DVD was just too high.  Then I noticed last week that the price was down to less than half.  Hadda get it. :D  Well worth it!

I have found that new DVDs generally half in retail price after 1 year. Then If they are not terrifically popular  they can drop even further the year after. For instance £13.99 down to £7 then sometimes down to £3. 

I was in a film mood last night and watched a random mix of 3;

Dark City

Secrets And Lies

Kissing Jessica Stein 

Decided I will watch the other Jennifer Westfeldt film Friends With Kids again first chance I get, and will probably pair that up with another Sci-Fi . I liked the way different films can pull your head and emotions one way and the next the complete opposite direction. Only good films can do this of course! The Mike Leigh film was excellent too, very emotional.

Last night we watched a little film called Page Eight.  Bill Nighy and Rachel Weisz were fantastic in their roles. Apparently this installment is part of the Worricker Trilogy.  Now to hunt down the rest of the trilogy.  :)

Not heard of that one or the trilogy! I will hunt that out too.

(Google, a girl's best friend!) There are SEVEN Halloween movies?! :o

Well theres another Halloween to watch after this so thats no.7, and then ive got Halloween H2O so i suppose you could say theres 8. Ive always loved the Halloween series since i was a kid.

pontalba, on 13 Aug 2014 - 4:39 PM, said:pontalba, on 13 Aug 2014 - 4:39 PM, said:

vodkafan, on 17 Aug 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:vodkafan, on 17 Aug 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

Not heard of that one or the trilogy! I will hunt that out too.

As far as I could tell the next two installments are not available, over here at least.  Not sure if you can get them, or for that matter I'm not entirely certain they are available on DVD yet.  But def worth the wait. :)

At the local library sale, they sell used DVDs for a dollar.  So we bought a few.  Would have bought more, but some thieves had stolen the discs out of the jackets. :(

Anyhow, one we did purchase was Get Shorty.  John Travolta, Renee Russo, Gene Hackman (my favorite!), Danny DeVito.....really great.  Funny, absolutely bizarre.  Loved it. :)

However we also bought the 4th season of Nip & Tuck.  Now, neither of us had seen it before, only heard some good reviews.  Well after watching about 5 or 6 minutes of the first episode, we removed the disc, and the whole thing is headed for the trash bin.  'Nuff said.  :catsick:

Edited by pontalba

Ok, something is wrong with Photobucket right how and we all know what the poster for the movie Aladdin looks like so I'm not bothering.  I have only seen this movie once before last night (was on TV, my daughter picked it, my mom and I just had a shared glare like, great).  I was really surprised how stereotypical it was.  I know Disney has been hounded for this before, but I was pretty shocked.  And then we were talking, Disney has nothing for Aladdin at Disneyland (we go a lot) and we don't often see Jasmine (or Pocahontas ever) much anywhere- it's usually Ariel, Frozen, Cinderella, Tangled, etc. Anyway, there were a few "aw's" at the end from us and laughs.   3/5

Well theres another Halloween to watch after this so thats no.7, and then ive got Halloween H2O so i suppose you could say theres 8. Ive always loved the Halloween series since i was a kid.

Is H20 the Rob Zombie one?

Just finished watching 'Water for Elephants'. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for this film ( I'm not a fan of Robert Pattinson), but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to see it- I enjoyed the book.  Have you read it?

Ok, something is wrong with Photobucket right how and we all know what the poster for the movie Aladdin looks like so I'm not bothering.  I have only seen this movie once before last night (was on TV, my daughter picked it, my mom and I just had a shared glare like, great).  I was really surprised how stereotypical it was.  I know Disney has been hounded for this before, but I was pretty shocked.  And then we were talking, Disney has nothing for Aladdin at Disneyland (we go a lot) and we don't often see Jasmine (or Pocahontas ever) much anywhere- it's usually Ariel, Frozen, Cinderella, Tangled, etc. Anyway, there were a few "aw's" at the end from us and laughs.   3/5

Is H20 the Rob Zombie one?

H2O is Halloween 20 Years Later, it stars Jamie Lee Curtis from the original reprising her role as Laurie Strode. Excellent film! Rob Zombie remade Halloween 1 & 2 and although i hate remakes of my fave films i actually enjoyed them.