The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw Girl, Interrupted for the first time yesterday. I enjoyed it, but now want to read the book. 

The book is so much better! But don't expect it to bear anything more than a situational resemblance to the flm

I saw Girl, Interrupted for the first time yesterday. I enjoyed it, but now want to read the book. 

One of my favourite ever movies! So much wonderful acting. I haven't seen it in a few years though. I started avoiding it when I started suffering from depression. But I'm so much better these days that I really should watch it again!

The book is so much better! But don't expect it to bear anything more than a situational resemblance to the flm

:o Whaaat?! I've only ever read bad reviews of the book! Mostly recently, Frankie rated it 2 stars on Goodreads. I have it on my TBR pile and still intend to read it though. I just plan to go into it with very low expectations. Perhaps they're best viewed as two completely separate entities.

ETA: OK, I take that back, a little. I just checked Goodreads and the average rating for the book is 3.86, which is a fairly good rating. I guess I've just paid more attention to the negative reviews in the past. :)

They are certainly two different entities. The book is Susanna Kayson's real life experiences. There is a lot of humour but also her insights into what it means to be considered sane or mad and how male dominated society actually pushes young women into the latter category to keep them out of sight.

The film made a drama and inflated Angelina Jolie's part so it became a lot about her. It will be interesting to see if you feel the same way about the film after you read the book!

I can't imagine ever changing my mind about the movie. :) Given your comments, I'm sure I'll agree that they're nothing alike, but I'll always love the movie, even if I end up loving the book too. Gosh, I'm so curious about it now! I think I'll have to make a start on it before the year is out.

I can't imagine ever changing my mind about the movie. :) Given your comments, I'm sure I'll agree that they're nothing alike, but I'll always love the movie, even if I end up loving the book too. Gosh, I'm so curious about it now! I think I'll have to make a start on it before the year is out.

It's a very slim book- a one day read  :readingtwo:

I think it's best you just dive in and make your own mind up about it (well, as you always would, of course) :) And like VF said, it's a short book, you can easily read it in one day or two, tops. :)

We watched Evan Almighty last night with my folks. I've been wanting to watch the movie for a long time! Kylie will be happy to know that Mom recognized Lauren Graham and asked me where she's been and I said 'In the Gilmore Girls!" and she smiled and said "Yes, of course". :smile2:

We watched Evan Almighty last night with my folks. I've been wanting to watch the movie for a long time! Kylie will be happy to know that Mom recognized Lauren Graham and asked me where she's been and I said 'In the Gilmore Girls!" and she smiled and said "Yes, of course". :smile2:

I love that film!

Yay! Awesome Mum. :D

The Sound of Music was on TV tonight, so Mum and I watched it together. I've surely seen this movie dozens of times, but I still noticed things that I've never noticed before! :)