Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooooh, (possibly) exciting news!!!!  Went to one of the shopping areas near me today, and one of the shops that's currently being refitted has an intriguing but rather vague poster in the window that certainly suggests it's going to be a bookshop! :exc:    It's due to open this month, so I guess I've not got long to wait to find out. I'll have to get my detective cap on and see if I can find out more … :typing:

It's definitely a book shop!!!!  I am beyond excited. :exc:  The poster in the window says it's opening August 2014, and they have the daily opening times and website address etched on the door now.  There's still paper covering the windows so you can't see inside, but they were working in there yesterday and the door was open ... I has a sneaky peek inside, :lurker:  but no bookshelves or books yet, so I hope that side of things doesn't take too long!  I've had a look at their website, and it's just a covering note at the moment, although there is the option to sign up for a newsletter, which I might do.  They say they'll have a book ordering service, be hosting author signings among other things, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll live up to my hopes for it. :D  I'm hoping they'll run a book group (or two), as I'd love to join another one in addition to the library one, hopefully with some younger people in it! :giggle2:  I think I may have just found my new weekend home …  :readingtwo: 

Edited by chesilbeach

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger are set in a steampunk Victorian London, and follow Alexia Tarrabotti, who lives in a society with vampires and werewolves, and herself is a preternatural, that is, she has no soul, and should a supernatural touch her, they become human.  The series starts with her becoming embroiled in an investigation with BUR (the Bureau of Unnatural Registry) run by the werewolf, Lord Connell Maccon.  I don't want to give too much away, as it would spoil the story, particularly from the second book onwards, but I loved the series.  

I'd read the first one a few years ago, and I listened to it on audiobook as a reminder of where it left off, and then read the other four books in quick succession over the space of a week.  If anything, the first one is a little bit too heavy on the sexual tension between Alexia and Lord Maccon, but there is still a strong mystery story throughout, and the following books are even more focussed on the story and the development of the society.  There is a constant humour throughout the books, with a juxtaposition of the mannered Victorian society against the raw feral supernatural society, and the magnificence of steampunk technology.  A very entertaining series with a definite end at the conclusion of book five, and I'm looking forward to the new series from Carriger next year, which moves the society on a few years with what I believe will be a new set of characters, but in the same world.

This series sounds absolutely fascinating! I've slowly come to grips with the term Steampunk, and eventhough I fear it might go way over my head or that I might not get the appeal, it seems like something I might like. At least I liked the concept. I'm not sure about the supernatural elements, though... For me it's usually one or the other. Not too many things put together :blush: 

I'm not saying this is going on my wishlist, but I enjoyed reading your review and I think I might try and semi-remember the series and keep an eye open for it at the libraries :) 

Twelve Minutes of Love: A Tango Story by Kapka Kassabova

It's no secret I'm a big fan of Strictly Come Dancing, ...

James Jordan is on the celeb BB series that just started! Does this mean you will start watching the series with me? :exc: 

:lol: 

Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

This 1946 novel (by the author of the Worzel Gummidge books) is about a woman who goes on a cruise and is swept overboard; she lives for three years on a desert island before being rescued by a destroyer in 1943. When she returns to England it seems to her to have gone mad: she cannot buy clothes without 'coupons', her friends are only interested in 'war work', and yet she is considered uncivilised if she walks barefoot or is late for meals. The focus of Barbara Euphan Todd's satire is people behaving heroically and appallingly at one and the same time. Rosamond Lehmann considered Miss Ranskill Comes Home 'a work of great originality, and delightfully readable, a blend of fantasy, satire and romantic comedy... a very entertaining novel and less light than it seems.' This has been an especial Persephone favourite.

Review:

Oh how I loved this book.  This is exactly what I wanted to find in my reading this year, and yet again, it seems Persephone have hit the spot.  Can you imagine what it would be like to have been on a desert island with absolutely no contact to the outside world, only to be rescued and returned home in the middle of the Second World War?  To rationing?  To air raid sirens and shelters?  To no home at all?  Todd's story of Miss Ranskill brings you slap bang into that world, but instead of a frightening, despairing look at it, we are treated to a satirical gem of a story, which made me smile and chuckle as much as it did ponder the impossible life Miss Ranskill had returned to.  From the littlest things like trying to buy a picnic lunch on her first day back, to finding your childhood home has been commandeered by the Army, to making contact with the sister who thought you were dead, we follow the English woman as she tries to find her place in a world dramatically different from the one she left behind.

I loved that there was such humour to be found in the situation, a way to see the ridiculous in the darkness of war, putting on a brave face in adversity, and how having a stiff upper lip doesn't always mean forgetting you are human, and treating others likewise.

An absolutely fabulous book, and another highly recommended book from the Persephone publishers catalogue.   

The title rang a bell for me and I checked and the book is on my wishlist. I've not written down who recommended it to me or where I found about it, and I have to say I wouldn't have remembered the blurb. But I really like the sound of the book and I'm glad you enjoyed it :) What an interesting premise! I can't imagine what it would be like, to be in her shoes. I also like it that it's not a sinister book, but an enjoyable read with humour :) 

Conjugal Rites by Paul Magrs

No matter what she tries to do, trouble has a way of finding Brenda. It’s hardly surprising with secrets like hers. When her old adversary Mr Danby starts filling the airwaves with his late night phone in show it can only mean one thing – and sure enough best friend Effie soon finds herself up to her neck in it. But that is only the beginning; fate has an even bigger surprise in store. Romance is in the air for Brenda and, do what she will, she cannot deny that she and her man were made for each other – literally. But as usual, Brenda and Effie will face up to whatever dangers come their way with fortitude and grace: even if that means journeying to places beyond their wildest dreams.

Review:

Oh how I love Brenda and Effie. How can you not love a story with a pair of OAP heroines leading the way, set in the seaside resort of Whitby, where Brenda runs a B&B, Effie runs an antique shop, there is a hotel where it's Christmas everyday, and an apparently evil radio presenter who keeps his mother in a suitcase!

There is so much joy and heart in these books, and in this third instalment we find out more about Brenda's past (and potentially her future), and go to hell and back with Effie on a rescue mission. After the first book, which was more like a collection of short stories, the next two books have been full length stories and this one brings to life some of the characters only previously mentioned in passing, adding more flesh to the bones of this world, and allowing the others to develop further, with some surprising results.

Absolutely loved reading this one, and will definitely be back for the next one.

I had to google OAP :D When I found out what it was, I was immediately more interested in the novel. You gotta love a good OAP novel, right? And I really like it that this is a series. It shows that OAP people matter! :smile2: I googled the title of the first novel in the series and it's going on my wishlist. Thanks! 

It's definitely a book shop!!!!  I am beyond excited.  The poster in the window says it's opening August 2014, and they have the daily opening times and website address etched on the door now.  There's still paper covering the windows so you can't see inside, but they were working in there yesterday and the door was open ... I has a sneaky peek inside,  but no bookshelves or books yet, so I hope that side of things doesn't take too long!  I've had a look at their website, and it's just a covering note at the moment, although there is the option to sign up for a newsletter, which I might do.  They say they'll have a book ordering service, be hosting author signings among other things, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll live up to my hopes for it.  I'm hoping they'll run a book group (or two), as I'd love to join another one in addition to the library one, hopefully with some younger people in it!  I think I may have just found my new weekend home …  

Oh boy, oh boy, OH BOY!!! :exc: This is really exciting news! Author signings, too?! You lucky fox, you! You must tell us more about it when it open and maybe even show us some pics :) 

I've just watched yesterday's CBB episode and I have to say I'm not liking this James Jordan one bit. I had a feeling I would dislike him right from the launch night, and now my feelings have been confirmed. So I understand if him being on the show is not grounds enough to make you watch the show :blush::giggle2: Sorry if he's your favorite, this is just my personal opinion :)

Edited by frankie

I can't stand him, Sari, so you're not alone!  The Ego has landed in CBB, it seems!

Thank goodness! Although I did get that impression earlier when I was reading this British TV forum. There aren't that many fans, at all! He comes off as someone who has a big ego and thinks a lot of himself, but is really actually a bit insecure deep down inside. He seems like he needs to prove he's the alpha male :rolleyes: 

Oh! I just realized: The ego, the eagle! :D 

This series sounds absolutely fascinating! I've slowly come to grips with the term Steampunk, and even though I fear it might go way over my head or that I might not get the appeal, it seems like something I might like. At least I liked the concept. I'm not sure about the supernatural elements, though... For me it's usually one or the other. Not too many things put together :blush:

I'm not saying this is going on my wishlist, but I enjoyed reading your review and I think I might try and semi-remember the series and keep an eye open for it at the libraries :)

I know it won't be for everyone, so I won't be begging you to read it. I like something lighthearted and a bit funny, and I like the romantic elements, plus I love that the heroine isn't the usual blonde, lithe, beautiful woman. If you do read it, I'll be interested to see what you make of it, and I hope you enjoy it, but I'm not going to pester you into reading it!

James Jordan is on the celeb BB series that just started! Does this mean you will start watching the series with me? :exc:

Sorry, but no. ;)

The title rang a bell for me and I checked and the book is on my wishlist. I've not written down who recommended it to me or where I found about it, and I have to say I wouldn't have remembered the blurb. But I really like the sound of the book and I'm glad you enjoyed it :) What an interesting premise! I can't imagine what it would be like, to be in her shoes. I also like it that it's not a sinister book, but an enjoyable read with humour :)

Well, in an interesting development, I'd mentioned the book at my reading group meeting a couple of months ago, and one of the other members liked the sound of it and read it too. Now, while I thought it was humorous, she thought it was incredibly sad! She thought it was a fantastic read, but she just got a completely different feeling from the story, so I'm now hoping someone else will also read it so I can find out how it comes across to them.

I had to google OAP :D When I found out what it was, I was immediately more interested in the novel. You gotta love a good OAP novel, right? And I really like it that this is a series. It shows that OAP people matter! :smile2: I googled the title of the first novel in the series and it's going on my wishlist. Thanks!

Woohoo! I love these books, and I'm hoping to read books four and five soon. The only thing about the first book, is that it does feel a bit like a few disparate short stories which sort of come together at the end, so I don't think it's the best book of the three I've read, but, if you like the characters, setting and style of the first one, you will definitely love books two and three.

Oh boy, oh boy, OH BOY!!! :exc: This is really exciting news! Author signings, too?! You lucky fox, you! You must tell us more about it when it open and maybe even show us some pics :)

I know! I plan to take my camera along on my first visit, and I'm hoping there will be a good selection of books to make me a regular visitor.

I've just watched yesterday's CBB episode and I have to say I'm not liking this James Jordan one bit. I had a feeling I would dislike him right from the launch night, and now my feelings have been confirmed. So I understand if him being on the show is not grounds enough to make you watch the show :blush::giggle2: Sorry if he's your favorite, this is just my personal opinion :)

I can understand you not liking him.  In the first series of Strictly he was on, the way the training footage was edited, he looked like he was a strict, no-nonsense teacher to his celebrity partner, almost coming across as a bully, and this reputation has never left, despite lots of subsequent partners saying he was a great teacher.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, but I think if you're in a profession like ballroom dancing, everything is about competition, performance and looks, and it must have an effect on individuals in respect to how they feel they need to portray themselves to the outside world.  I can't comment on his appearance on CBB, but as with Strictly, what I would say is that programme makers edit footage to their own advantage to entertain and maximise the potential to bring in viewers for ratings, so you only see the a small amount of what's happening.

He's certainly not my favourite of the professional dancers on Strictly, but he's also not my least favourite, but I can imagine what he's like on a show like CBB, and if my assumptions are right, I can understand why you don't like him! :D

In more book shop news … they've added a note to the poster to say it opens next Saturday!  They've still got the paper shielding the windows, so I can't see inside, but they do now have a website and I've been around the local shops today and seen flyers on countertops promoting the shop with the opening date on.  EIGHT days and counting … :exc:

You are so cute :smile:

I can't tell you how long it's been since we've had a decent local bookshop, hence why I'm so excited!  In fact, I can.  When I was growing up there was a tiny bookshop in the village shops, but that closed down not long after I moved here.  At the time, WHSmith was actually not a bad bookshop, and as I lived mostly on a diet of Enid Blyton, it could quite happily satisfy my purchasing needs, with the addition of the local library, I was quite happy.  We had two libraries, one in the village and one up on the hill.  We always visited the village one, as it was a 10 minute walk from the house, and in among the shops where my mum would do her shopping.  Everyone was happy.

Then … the smaller library closed, and we now had a 40 minute walk (each way) to the library, which made it an expedition, rather than something tagged on the end of the shopping, so instead of going when I had run out of books, we had to leave it for a trip in the car with my dad who also wanted books.  This was back in the days when shops had only just started opening late one evening per week (and that was only until 7pm) and it meant only going once every three weeks on their evening opening, but had to be mixed with the big weekly shop, so a pleasant dawdle around the library was no  longer an option, it was a short, serious, concentrated effort, mainly on making sure the books I was borrowing I hadn't read before.

At about the same time, I was growing out of Enid Blyton, and the small WHSmiths book selection was shrinking as they branched out in to other product lines, so the selection of books available seemed to get smaller and smaller.  Alongside exams and studying, and being a teenager and going out with my friends, I gave up reading for a while. :(

After I left school, I started work in the city centre and had access to the main shopping centre during my lunch break at work with a couple of decent bookshops, then when I moved out of home a couple of years later, I moved to the city - BIG excitement, bookshops EVERYWHERE!!!  I didn't go to university, but I lived very close to it, so I had three of the biggest bookshops in the city right on my doorstep, literally within two minutes walk from our flat … I'd never had more choice! :)

We moved back to my town a couple of years later, but now I had the benefit of a car, so a trip to the city for shopping happened quite regularly and I didn't think much of it, but gradually, the bookshops have closed, and apart from a couple of branches of Waterstone's (our only big bookshop chain), there's not much left.  So now, the nearest city with good bookshops is over an hour to drive to, plus parking fees, and the inevitable coffee break, and just popping out for a book requires setting aside a whole morning of my precious free time at the weekend, and to make it worth my while, I have to buy more than one book, which makes it a very expensive trip in terms of time and money. :(

So, a bookshop within walking distance, and on a street I go to most weekends for shopping anyway … what a boon!  I'll be able to browse and not even feel like I have to buy anything if nothing grabs my attention (yeah right, like I could go in a bookshop and NOT come out with a book ;)), or if I want a book, I can just pop in on my way home from work, or when I'm shopping on a Saturday.  Book signings and author events, possibly a book group, anything else they might offer … that will be a bonus, but the fact we'll have a proper, local, dedicated bookshop, now that's worth celebrating. :exc: :exc:

SEVEN days and counting …  :doowapstart: 

Edited by chesilbeach

I was probably about 8 when the bookshop closed. I remember buying my copy of the highway code book there before I did my cycling proficiency test at school, which was about that time, but I know it had gone by the time I was 10. I think I gave up reading between the ages of about 14/15 and 18, so it wasn't that long, but once I started work and had more time (and money!), it picked up again.

Having said that, it was also slow in my early twenties too, and even though I was reading a lot before I joined the forum, it really did step up into another gear once I had people to discuss books with every day. :)

I (largely) gave up reading for my undergraduate university years (18 to 22). I read a little during post grad but that was more a time issue, working all week to ensure I could go out once a week on a Saturday! 

Mine picked up again majorly from graduation (so September 2010) and like you, increased majorly once I found this place. Although that coincided with a new job that I get to on public transport rather than driving to, so I guess several factors were involved. 

Thrilled about the new book shop, that sounds ace. 

I guess it's time for a bit of a catch up …

I've been on a bit of a book buying spree this week :blush: but I feel I can justify it! :giggle2:  In my defence, I downloaded six book last weekend but they were all in the monthly or summer Kindle sales, and all except one were on my wish list, so I think that was just a way of saving money in the long run.

Then yesterday, we had a day out in Oxford, and you can't visit two fine bookshops - a FIVE floor Waterstone's and a mahoosive Blackwells which also has the incredible Norrington Room with its 3 miles of book shelves and separate shops for Art & Posters and Music - without buying some books, but I did limit myself to just three, and one of those was for OH, so I think I did alright. :D

The Waterstone's was good, although pretty much like any other Waterstone's just a bit bigger than the ones I'm used to, but Blackwell's is a whole new ball game.  I haven't been there for probably getting on for twenty years, and it was lovely to have the whole morning to wander round.  One thing I loved was that they shelved the translated fiction separately from the general fiction.  I really enjoy reading translated fiction, so it was good to be able to browse them independently without having to search through the normal general fiction section.

Unfortunately, this unexpected trip, coupled with trains being cancelled and delayed on the way home, meant I only managed to visit the new bookshop in my town at 5pm, only half an hour before they closed.  While I was there, they were talking to someone else and saying they'd had a great opening day, and done lots of business, but this was a shame for me, as their stock had gone down quite a lot!  It's only a small shop, but I was still surprised they didn't have more shelving, as it seemed a bit empty.  They did have some display tables in the middle of the room which seemed too small and looked a bit lost, and they didn't have enough books on them to make any sort of impression.  They were also trying to turn books from spine out to cover out on all the shelves to make them look fuller, but again, I overheard them saying that they were waiting for more books to come in. Despite that, it does look very promising, and hopefully, when I get chance to visit again next weekend, I'll have more choice and be able to buy something and start supporting them. :)

The end of another month, and it's time for a catch up on where I am with my reading this year …

As at the start of 2014
TBR: 35 books (excludes any books I own on my challenge lists)
Jane Austen reading list: 18/24 books read = 75% complete
J. L. Carr reading list: 3/8 books read = 38% complete
E. H. Young reading list: 0/13 books read = 0% complete
Persephone reading list: 6/104 books read = 6% complete
English Counties Challenge: 7/48 books read = 15% complete

Current status
Books purchased: 65
   5 pre-order
   16 Kindle daily/monthly deals - one of these is an omnibus of 4 books
   3 second-hand for English Counties challenge 
   43 other books
Books received as presents: 6
Books read: 106
Abandoned books: 0
TBR: 19 books
Jane Austen reading list: 19/24 books read = 79% complete
J. L. Carr reading list: 4/8 books read = 50% complete
E. H. Young reading list: 0/13 books read = 0% complete
Persephone reading list: 8/107 books read = 7% complete
English Counties Challenge: 13/48 books read = 27% complete

Outstanding reviews: 16 :doh:

Edited by chesilbeach

Just three books for the day! I would have to limit three per genre! Six for fantasy... the extra three are from the romance section that I would skip over. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

The Tornado Chasers by Ross Montgomery

When Owen Underwood's family move to Barrow, it's because there's nowhere safer in the Valleys - and safety is very important. Especially when the threat of tornadoes, and giant bears, is constant.  But in Barrow, safety is taken to extremes. Children have to wear bright yellow at all times and are never allowed outside except to go to school. How can Owen face an entire summer of that?
In secret, Owen and his friends form the Tornado Chasers. Their mission: to get as close to a Grade 5 tornado as possible. It's time for them to face their fears!
And then... And then...

Review:
I loved Ross Montgomery's first book, and went as far as to specifically go to the bookshop on publication day to get this one.  I love the enclosed societies that he creates in his children's stories, giving a familiar feel to a world that kids will recognise and relate to, but different enough to be something out of the ordinary, in a fantastical, whimsical way.  The adrenalin fuelled quest the children make is thrilling and exciting, with their own rebellion against the dictates of authority figures, and a genuinely unexpected twist comes towards the end.  And then the end, oh my, is one of the most thought provoking things I've read in ages, and one that I can imagine parents being able to discuss with their children after reading this aloud.  Fantastic book, and Montgomery proves he is no one-hit wonder.  Unique, funny and imaginative, I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

Edited by chesilbeach