Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

Re We Were Liars - I also didn't engage with the characters, so wasn't so keen on the first part, but...

I did wonder at one point whether *she* had died, but then rejected that, so I was fairly surprised by the twist. However, as you say, I read it quite early on.. I think when 'twist' gets mentioned a lot, you do look out for it more.

On the whole, I really liked it.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

One night, George Duncan - decent man, a good man - is woken by a noise in his garden. Impossibly, a great white crane has tumbled to earth, shot through its wing by an arrow. Unexpectedly moved, George helps the bird, and from the moment he watches it fly off, his life is transformed.

The next day, a kind but enigmatic woman walks into George's shop. Suddenly a new world opens up for George, and one night she starts to tell him the most extraordinary story.

Wise, romantic, magical and funny, The Crane Wife is a hymn to the creative imagination and a celebration of the disruptive and redemptive power of love.

Review:

It's been a great month for novels for me, starting with The Crane Wife. I'm finding it difficult to find anything better to say than the last paragraph of the synopsis above. I loved every page. I adored the characters. The story was beautifully told. It moved me. What more can I say?

Re We Were Liars - I also didn't engage with the characters, so wasn't so keen on the first part, but...

I did wonder at one point whether *she* had died, but then rejected that, so I was fairly surprised by the twist. However, as you say, I read it quite early on.. I think when 'twist' gets mentioned a lot, you do look out for it more.

On the whole, I really liked it.

I think you're probably right …

I knew there was a twist, so I was on the lookout for clues … maybe that's another reason why I didn't enjoy it as much, as I failed to get lost in the story because I was looking for the twist. It was fairly obvious to me that no-one else was interacting with the others, and she was the only one still alive, and from that point on, I was mentally highlighting all the other clues … I think that's why I didn't like it so much, it was too much an exercise in spotting what others had missed!

The Crane Wife has called to me a couple of times, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, I must pick it up one day. :)

I'm not sure everyone's enjoyed it - I'm sure I've seen a more negative review somewhere, but I loved it. I thought it read like a modern day fairytale for adults. :)

Capital by John Lanchester

Capital: the City of London. Capital: money, currency, finance. Both are central to the multicultural micro-society living and working on Pepys Road-an ordinary street in the Capital. Formerly working class, the simple houses have seen a wave of gentrification and expensive renovations that have rendered them highly desirable, valuable real estate.

Here lives Roger Yount, powerful investment banker daily trading risk against profit on the Foreign Exchange. An annual bonus of a million might seem excessive, but with second homes and nannies to maintain, he's not sure he can get by without it. Elsewhere on Pepys Road is the Muslim Pakistani family living above their convenience store, and a senior widow who entertains visits from her graffiti artist grandson. Recently arrived is Freddy Kano, teenage football celebrity, recruited from Senegal to join the Premier League, who left a two-room shack to follow his dream.

Their stories intertwine with the immigrant workers who service the wealthy residents of the City: Zbigniew, the builder from Warsaw, catering to the super-rich in their interior decoration whims; the nanny who looks after Roger's two small boys while his well-groomed wife indulges her shopaholic tendencies; and traffic warden Quentina, who has exchanged the violence of the police in Zimbabwe for the violence of the enraged upper middle classes. For them all, this city offers the chance of a different kind of life.

Each house has its own story and its own secrets, having seen its fair share of first steps and last breaths, and plenty of laughter in between. Today, through each letterbox along this ordinary street drops a card with a simple message: We Want What You Have.

Review:

Wow, what a book.  I'd been a bit daunted by it, at almost 600 pages, but seriously, it just flew by.  I've never lived in London, and don't visit it often, but this, this is what I think modern London is all about.  A hotch-potch of nationalities and classes, living side by side without really knowing anything about each other.  Their stories are fascinating while still being about ordinary people, some who have extraordinary events happen during the book, while others have experiences that most of us will go through during our lives at some point.

The chapters swap between the various characters, but I never felt lost or forgot who each person was, and the We Want What You Have plot line weaves their stories together, helping to move the narrative forward, but it's not really the dominant theme, it just brings a cohesion to the story.   What is does also do, is highlight a theme in modern society, where everyone aspires to a better lifestyle, but some harbour the jealous sentiment that others have more than they have earned, and that they deserve what those with more have.

What I loved about the book is that it's never judgemental, but offers an assessment of modern London society, albeit with an empathy for the characters.  The characters have an authenticity about them, and they make the story as captivating as it is.

A brilliant novel, and one I would heartily recommend.

The Humans by Matt Haig

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME.
OR IS THERE?

After an 'incident' one wet Friday night where Professor Andrew Martin is found walking naked through the streets of Cambridge, he is not feeling quite himself. Food sickens him. Clothes confound him. Even his loving wife and teenage son are repulsive to him. He feels lost amongst a crazy alien species and hates everyone on the planet. Everyone, that is, except Newton, and he's a dog. What could possibly make someone change their mind about the human race...?

Review:
I'd just read two fantastic novels. I bought this on a whim. I thought it would be good, but I never expected it to be the best novel I've read this year. It started well, but as I read each chapter, I fell more and more in love with it. It starts off and you think it's a straight up science fiction story. There's a mathematical hypothesis plot line that runs through, but honestly don't let this put you off, you really don't need to know about maths to understand it. As it goes on, while the science fiction element is still there, you realise this is much bigger than genre, this is the blueprint for what it means to be a human, for what it is to be alive, simply an incredibly moving book. It's also funny and smart and intriguing and sad and uplifting … and wonderful. It's going to take a superb book to beat this to be my top read of the year.  Highly recommended.

Love Nina: Despatches from Family Life by Nina Stibbe

In the 1980s Nina Stibbe wrote letters home to her sister in Leicester describing her trials and triumphs as a nanny to a London family. There's a cat nobody likes, a visiting dog called Ted Hughes (Ted for short) and suppertime visits from a local playwright. Not to mention the two boys, their favourite football teams, and rude words, a very broad-minded mother and assorted nice chairs.

From the mystery of the unpaid milk bill and the avoidance of nuclear war to mealtime discussions on pie filler, the greats of English literature, swearing in German and sexually transmitted diseases, Love, Nina is a wonderful celebration of bad food, good company and the relative merits of Thomas Hardy and Enid Blyton.

Review:

Love, Nina is a collection of letters that the author sent to her sister, and while replies are referenced, it's a one sided affair, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.  I was a teenager during the period of the book, so there are a wealth of pop culture references that I recognised, making it all the more enjoyable.  I loved Nina, the family and her relationship with them, and Alan Bennett is a neighbour who is a regular at the family dinner table - how could I not love reading this?!

I was surprised at how slow I was to read the book.  Normally, a book of letters or a diary format is one I would fly through, but I think because it felt like every word was important and relevant, so there was no skimming or racing through, I just indulged in the warmth of the family and their relationships with each other, and those who come into their lives.

I've seen other reviews mention Adrian Mole as a fictional comparison, and that sums it up perfectly for me.  Funny and heartwarming, but with an honesty and relevance for me, I thought it was great. :smile2:

Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements

When Imogen and Anna unexpectedly inherit their grandmother Vivien's ice cream parlour, it turns both their lives upside-down. The Brighton shop is a seafront institution, but while it's big on charm it's critically low on customers. If the sisters don't turn things around quickly, their grandmother's legacy will disappear forever.

With summer looming, Imogen and Anna devise a plan to return Vivien's to its former glory. Rather than sell up, they will train up, and make the parlour the newest destination on the South Coast foodie map.

While Imogen watches the shop, her sister flies to Italy to attend a gourmet ice cream-making course. But as she works shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best chefs in the industry, Anna finds that romance can bloom in the most unexpected of places...

Review:

This is quintessentially what I want from a holiday read. On the surface, and from the cover, it looks like a frothy romance, but I thought it was much more than that. It's about family, bereavement, following your dreams… and ice cream! :D

There are some elements of romance and finding someone to love, but these felt minor themes to me, as it was more about how the two sisters lives change and they find a more fulfilling life by the end of the book. I loved the seaside setting, the ice cream shop is somewhere I wish was real so I could visit, the descriptions of the ice creams are mouthwatering, and the two sisters themselves are people I would like to be friends with. What more could you want from a comfortable, relaxing read while sitting in the sun on holiday? It was smashing, and I'll definitely be adding more of Abby Clements books to my wish list for future holidays! :smile2:

Great reviews! I've just bought The Humans.....I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but your review has tipped it over the edge and onto my TBR pile. :D In fact, I might make it my next read, as I've just finished a book this morning.

I also have Capital on my TBR pile, and I really must get to it soon.

Wow- The Humans definitely goes on the TBR list!  Sounds great!  You read like crazy, Claire :smile: I'm looking forward to your review of Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet, as it isn't available in Kindle here.  Have you read the other one?  Called Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La.

Edited by Anna Begins

Great reviews, Claire :)!

The Crane Wife is one I'd be interested in reading (once out in paperback etc.) and Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop is on my TBR. I'm glad you read some great books lately :).

My copy of The Crane Wife is a paperback (this one … http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Crane-Wife-Patrick-Ness/dp/0857868748/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_pap?ie=UTF8&qid=1411128640&sr=8-1&keywords=the+crane+wife).

Great reviews! I've just bought The Humans.....I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but your review has tipped it over the edge and onto my TBR pile. :D In fact, I might make it my next read, as I've just finished a book this morning.

I also have Capital on my TBR pile, and I really must get to it soon.

No pressure then!  :eek:  I thought it was definitely a slow starter, but honestly, after each little chapter, I fell in love with it a little bit more.  Hope you like it.

Don't be put off by the size of Capital, it'll fly by. :)

Wow- The Humans definitely goes on the TBR list!  Sounds great!  You read like crazy, Claire :smile: I'm looking forward to your review of Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet, as it isn't available in Kindle here.  Have you read the other one?  Called Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La.

It's seems like I've read a lot more than I have, just because I finally managed to catch up with some reviews! :lol:

I think those two books are the same - I think in the US it was originally published with the "From Miss Tibet to Shangri La" subtitle, but has been reissued more recently with the "Five Years in Tibet" subtitle instead.  Will try and get to that review this weekend :)

Thanks Claire :)! When I first found out about the book, I could only find a hardcover. It's great that it's out in paperback now, so it's gone on the wishlist.

You're safe - I'm enjoying it so far. :giggle2:

Phew! :D

I've had a surprisingly slow reading week this week.  I've been easily distracted by other things, so I'm planning to have a bookish day today.  I've decided to definitely stick to the plan to read my TBR books first, and then hopefully by the end of October, I'll have read them all, and I'll be back to buying the next book I'm going to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, forgot to update my monthly progress at the end of September, so here it is now:

As at the start of 2014
TBR: 35 books (excludes any books I own on my challenge lists)
Jane Austen reading list: 18/24 books read = 75% complete
J. L. Carr reading list: 3/8 books read = 38% complete
E. H. Young reading list: 0/13 books read = 0% complete
Persephone reading list: 6/104 books read = 6% complete
English Counties Challenge: 7/48 books read = 15% complete

Current status
Books purchased: 72
   5 pre-order
   18 Kindle daily/monthly deals - one of these is an omnibus of 4 books
   4 second-hand for English Counties challenge
45 other books
Books received as presents: 6
Books read: 116
Abandoned books: 0
TBR: 13 books
Jane Austen reading list: 19/24 books read = 79% complete
J. L. Carr reading list: 4/8 books read = 50% complete
E. H. Young reading list: 0/13 books read = 0% complete
Persephone reading list: 8/107 books read = 7% complete
English Counties Challenge: 13/48 books read = 27% complete

I'm struggling a bit with choosing my next book.  I'm desperately trying to stick to my TBR, but nothing is really jumping out at me.  Wondering whether to treat myself to something off my wish list to spark my interest. :dunno:

Yes .. do that :D You're always very disciplined Claire so an occasionally treat won't hurt. You need a reward every now and then xx  :hug:Buy a new book and a big cake :D

I didn't need to buy a new book in the end - I started The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven, as I read the first page and was immediately drawn in.  It's great so far! :smile2:

Woohoo!  I hope you enjoy it!

Books Are My Bag is a promotional event for bookshops in the UK & NI, and today is the main day.  One of the things they do is try and get author signings in as many bookshops as they can.  We've been out and about, and I've managed to support two bookshops today - we were down in Dorset visiting Chesil Beach this morning, so I popped into the Waterstone's there and bought a cook book, Sweets Made Simple which accompanies a recent series on the BBC.  I think everyone will be getting home made sweets and chocolates for Christmas this year! :D

Then when we got back, I also popped into a bookshop not far from me, and bought One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper.  They were also having an author signing, which I knew about a few weeks ago, so I bought the book then and had read it in between, so took my copy of The Madness by Alison Rattle to be signed, and she was also selling her first book The Quietness and it seemed rude not to buy that one, so I now have a copy of both books and both are signed. :)

I've heard of the Books Are My Bag event, it sounds quite nice :). I hope you enjoy your new books! It's great you got some signed copies. I've never been to an author signing, they don't occur that often in the Netherlands and often when they do it's not authors I have a book of, or it's too far away for me to go. It would probably be too busy for me anyway but still.