Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

The Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet by Alec le Sueur

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
Few foreigners are lucky enough to set foot on Tibetan soil, but Alec Le Sueur spent five extraordinary years there, working in the unlikeliest Holiday Inn in the world. Against the breathtaking beauty of the Himalayas unfolds a highly amusing and enlightening account of his experiences. Fly infestations at state banquets, unexpected deliveries of live snakes, a predominance of yaks and everything yak-related, the unbelievable Miss Tibet competition, insurmountable communication problems and a dead guest are just some of the entertainments to be found at the ‘Fawlty Towers’ of Lhasa. 

Review:
This was a really interesting look at a country I know very little about.  It was fascinating to see how the hotel was run, with both local and foreign staff, who at times worked against each other, and the influence of government and politics on the working conditions and relations between the two camps.  I can imagine how different from a normal Holiday Inn this is, with the difficulty in transporting anything from the western world into the country, not for any political reason, just because of the isolation from transport links, in fact, the isolation would be one of the reasons I could never go there myself, so visiting from the comfort of my armchair was perfect.  Entertaining and engaging, I'd recommend it for anyone who likes travelling the world via the pages of a book. :)

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon Bear by Gill Lewis
When twelve-year-old Tam is sent to work at a bear farm in the city, he has never felt so alone. He hates seeing the cruel way the bears are treated, but speaking up will mean losing his job. And if he can't send money home, how will his family survive? When a sick cub arrives at the farm, Tam secretly nurses it back to health and they develop an unbreakable bond. Tam swears to return his beloved cub to the wild, but how will they ever find a way to be free? Deeply moving and powerful, Moon Bear is an unforgettable story of compassion, hope, and bravery against overwhelming odds.

Review:
Gill's middle grade books always centre around an aspect of the animal world, but from the point of view of a child.  This one is all about the farming of moon bear's in Laos, told through the eyes of Tam, a boy who has been displaced from his forest home, lost his father, and is sent to a bear farm to support his family.  Bear's are "milked" of their bile which is a traditional health remedy in Asia, and there is no honeying the details, and as an adult, I was horrified by the conditions the bears live in and the way they are treated, so I can imagine this would have a big impact on a child reading this story.

You also learn about the lasting legacy left on Laos by war in the region, and the devastation on a family of losing a father, but as I think is important for children's books, there is a realistic but hopeful conclusion to the story.  Gill Lewis is a writer I would recommend to all children to read.

Toute Allure: Falling in Love in Rural France by Karen Wheeler
There is so much to look forward to in the months ahead – to lengthening evenings, bike rides past fields of sunflowers or wild meadows of bluebells and poppies (just like the seventies Flake ad) and several months of fetes, vide greniers (car boot sales) and barbecues in friends’ gardens. And I cannot wait to get back to see if Andy Lawton has called… 

After reaching the heights as a successful fashion editor, Karen said goodbye to all that and set about renovating a run-down house in rural Poitou-Charentes, in central western France, and living a simpler life. Her idyll is almost complete when she is blissfully ensconced in her fully plumbed, tiled, floored and ‘warm as the hug of a pashmina’ Maison Coquelicot – until, that is, a gang of macho Portuguese builders, a procession of Brits behaving badly and the ghosts of boyfriends past begin to arrive on her doorstep. 

Karen soon finds her (dancing) feet in the small rural community when she discovers the key to acceptance is le danse country. And after a few shuffles and twirls she meets the love of her life – he has dark, shaggy hair, four paws and a wet nose…

Review:
This is the second book from Karen Wheeler, a fashion journalist who, in her first book moved to France, and follows her ongoing life in the small French village.  It's pretty much what you'd expect from this type of book with colourful characters, both locals and ex-pats, and domestic adventures, involving noisy neighbours, taking up line dancing and dinners with friends, and falling in love, in more ways than one.  Very enjoyable, and perfect for my love of stories of making a new home abroad.

À la Mod: My So-Called Tranquil Family Life in Rural France by Ian Moore

Comedian, mod and professional grump.  Ian Moore has had enough.  Tired of being unable to park anywhere near his cramped house in a noisy town he doesn’t like, he hatches a plan to move his wife and young son to a remote corner of the Loire Valley in search of serenity and space. 

Several years later, Ian finds himself up to his neck in bilingual offspring, feral cats, promiscuous horses, dysfunctional spaniels and needy hens; he’s wrestling with electric fences, a foreign language, a mountain of animal waste and a wife who collects livestock like there’s a biblical flood on the horizon, all while trying not to dirty his loafers. 

But despite the ups, downs and increasing demands of Ian’s showbiz career, the Moore family persevere in true Brit style to create a unique, colourful and ultimately rewarding life in their new home – à la campagne and à la mod!

Review:

Continuing my theme of Brits moving abroad, this time it's comedian Ian Moore and his family.  Being a comedian, there is plenty of humour in this book, and being about the same age, I felt an affinity with him as a narrator.  You can see the influence of Peter Mayle's books on this style of memoir, and it was perfect holiday reading for me.  I loved escaping to the French countryside with the endlessly growing animals adopted into the family home, the family dynamics, the struggle with language and cultural differences, and the improvement to home life the move brings them.  Loved it.

Trouble at the Little Village School by Gervase Phinn

Elisabeth Devine certainly rocked the boat when she arrived in Barton-in-the-Dale to take over as head teacher of the little primary school. Now it's a new term, and after winning over the wary locals, she can finally settle in to her role. Or so she thinks . . . 

For the school is hit by a brand-new bombshell: it's to be merged with its arch rival, and Elisabeth has to fight for the headship with Urebank's ruthless and calculating headmaster. She has her work cut out for her.

But add in some gossip and a helping of scandal, not to mention various newcomers bringing good things and bad to Barton, and that's not the only trouble that's brewing in the village.

Review:

The second novel in Gervase Phinn's Little Village School series continues where the first left off.  After saving the school from closure in the first book, there is now the possibility of amalgamation with a nearby village school, and the threat of job safety hangs heavily over the school.  They must still continue to educate the children, who thrive under the leadership of Elisabeth.  I did enjoy it, but I think I preferred his memoirs to the novels, but it's a gentle story with enough to keep me interested.  I did think it benefited from being able to get straight into the story in this second book, as the first was a rather slow starter.  Being set in Yorkshire, it feels like it's got tones of the James Herriot stories, but set in a school, so you still get the local village sentimentalities, strong characters and an influence of the surrounding landscape.  If you're looking for an easy going story, and have enjoyed either Phinn's memoirs or the Herriot stories, then these book would probably suit you down to the ground.

Love With a Chance of Drowning by Torre DeRoche

A city girl with a morbid fear of deep water, Torre DeRoche is not someone you would ordinarily find adrift in the middle of the stormy Pacific aboard a leaky sailboat – total crew of two – struggling to keep an old boat, a new relationship and her floundering sanity afloat. But when she meets Ivan, a handsome Argentinean man with a humble sailboat and a dream to set off exploring the world, Torre has to face a hard decision: watch the man she’s in love with sail away forever, or head off on the watery journey with him. Suddenly the choice seems simple. She gives up her sophisticated city life, faces her fear of water (and tendency towards seasickness) and joins her lover on a year-long voyage across the Pacific. 

Review:

You can tell I was on holiday recently … another travel memoir!  This one follows Torre as she makes a life changing decision to accompany her fairly new boyfriend, as he sails across the Southern Pacific to journey to the unbelievably beautiful islands.  She must be in love, as she has a deep seated fear of the ocean, is particularly frightened of sharks, and suffers seasickness.  The book follows their journey, which she details with honesty the experience of their voyage, and the effect is has on their relationship.   I absolutely loved it.  The title is a bit deceptive, and I suspect might put off some readers, but if you want to know what it's like to go on a sailing trip across open ocean in a 32ft boat, and find out what it's like to live for long periods with just the company of one other person in a confined space, and the realities of staying in what appear to be islands of paradise, then you will definitely enjoy this book.

The Dog by Kerstin Ekman

In the heart of the tranquil countryside, a young puppy leaves his home to eagerly follow his mother and master. But away from the safe haven of the farm, the puppy soon becomes lost and is left to struggle for survival in the wild. Suddenly, he must find food and a safe place to sleep, and outwit his competitor, the fox. The puppy becomes wild himself, trusting no human and furiously fighting the hunting dogs that enter his domain.

But one man is intrigued by the now-unruly dog and very slowly begins to gain his trust. Each day he visits the dog, bringing food and awakening memories of his distant domestic past. The lost relationship between man and dog is rebuilt in this sensitive and intelligent story about the true nature of trust and friendship.

Review:

As far as I know, this was my first Swedish translation, and what a fantastic book it was. The author has put herself in the mind of a dog, as a puppy who gets lost, and follows what happens to him in the forest as he fights and learns to survive. I would never have thought you could tell the story of the life a dog from its own perspective, without anthropomorphising the animal, and write a fascinating story that could sustain the length of a novel. Very, very engrossing story, and definitely one that dog lovers and nature lovers will love, but worth reading just to see life from a completely different viewpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Lordy, I'm getting behind on the reviews again :(

I've had a bit of a uneven reading ride over the last couple of weeks, and especially this week, but I have managed to catch up with Nicholas Nickleby, and I've finished the wonderful How To Be Both by Ali Smith.  This week has been decidedly dodgy, so I decided to treat myself to a few M. C. Beaton Regency romcoms, and I finished the Daughers of Mannerling series, which are silly but great fun.

Haven't been able to settle to anything this weekend, so I've now got four books on the go!  :o I'm still partway through Italian Ways by Tim Parks and over the last few days I've started both The Horologicon (which is a non-fiction and suits reading the odd chapter here and there) and the novel, One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper.  They are a mixture of Kindle and paperbacks, so I'll have to pick one to read to take to lunch with me tomorrow at work, but still not sure which one it'll be yet! :D

I finished The Horologican a couple of days ago, but haven't been in the mood to pick up One Last Thing Before I Go again. :dunno:  In fact, nothing on my TBR pile was tempting, so Sari's suggestion of a Hallowe'en read-a-thon nudged me towards getting the next Brenda and Effie book, which a quarter of the way in, is so entertaining, and a fantastic premise for their latest mystery.  This one's got a map of Whitby at the front (normally not a fan of maps in the front of books :roll:), and while seeing the layout of the town doesn't really add to the story, it's a lovely touch.  I love the imagination in it that makes a contemporary reasonably ordinary seaside town … at least I imagine it is, I've never actually been there … into the centre of the supernatural world, with two old ladies as the heroines!   :D  Its tone reminds me a lot of the film, Hot Fuzz, with a lot of humour and making somewhere ordinary become extraordinary.

Another one of the movie channels on Sky has changed to Christmas movies today … I love the low budget, made for TV Christmas movies that seem to be churned out!  They might be actors you've never heard of, a plot so woolly you could make jumpers for your whole family, and cheesier than a four-cheese pizza, but I love 'em! :D Now I've got the True Christmas channel and Christmas 24 (both of which have +1 channels), but I guess it'll probably be the 1st of December before Sky turn over their Showcase channel to become Sky Christmas. :smile2:  

Looking forward to seeing what sentimental tosh has been produced since last year. :lol:  :grinhat:  :coolsnow:  :cold:  :xmassmile:  :snowflake: 

Had a lovely meet up with Kay on Thursday … despite me completely forgetting to bring back some books I'd borrowed and more I was going to lend her :doh: … but lovely as she is, she still lent me some more! :lol:

These are the books I've borrowed:

The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams
The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt
Going to Sea in a Sieve by Danny Baker
The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons
Gold by Dan Rhodes
The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

Had a lovely meet up with Kay on Thursday … despite me completely forgetting to bring back some books I'd borrowed and more I was going to lend her :doh: … but lovely as she is, she still lent me some more! :lol:

:lol: Oops...!

These are the books I've borrowed:

The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams

The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt

Going to Sea in a Sieve by Danny Baker

The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons

Gold by Dan Rhodes

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

Wohoo for Gold! That was quick :D  I've seen a copy of The Gallery of Vanished Husbands at the library, the title drew me in :) 

Dearie me, I've been so far behind on your reading list! :( I think I've pretty much caught up now. Great reviews, as always, and I loved reading about your book shopping trips. :) How is the new local bookshop going? I was reading things out of order, so I read that they didn't have much stock on opening day, but I don't know if I missed a follow-up post about your next visit.

Dearie me, I've been so far behind on your reading list! :( I think I've pretty much caught up now. Great reviews, as always, and I loved reading about your book shopping trips. :) How is the new local bookshop going? I was reading things out of order, so I read that they didn't have much stock on opening day, but I don't know if I missed a follow-up post about your next visit.

I've been visiting the shop most weekends, and it is definitely getting better. They've had at least one author signing each month too, and more often than not, there's at least one other person in there whenever I go in. The book selection is improving, and the best thing is, I'm seeing more non-bestselling authors and translated fiction making an appearance, so it's worth going in to look at the selection, even if I don't buy too much at the moment.  I was hoping to have depleted my TBR by now, but the last dozen or so are still hanging around, but once I've got it back down to a single low digit, I think I'll be more inclined to buy more regularly from them. :)

Excellent! Sounds like a great shop. I live in a fairly large city but we really only have one second-hand bookshop, which is 'just OK', and a couple of shops that sell new books, but generally just best-sellers. :(

I've been catching up on your reading log,  what a number of great reviews! I don't know what I'm going to do with my wishlist: the last time I added something to it, I got a notice saying the post is too long. And now I'm going to add a lot of titles to the list, thanks to you... :D 

Then yesterday, we had a day out in Oxford, and you can't visit two fine bookshops - a FIVE floor Waterstone's and a mahoosive Blackwells which also has the incredible Norrington Room with its 3 miles of book shelves and separate shops for Art & Posters and Music - without buying some books, but I did limit myself to just three, and one of those was for OH, so I think I did alright.

A five floor bookshop?! :thud: I want to visit! The biggest bookshop in Finland has three floors, and to me that's huge. 3 miles of bookshelves? I want to visit!! 

I'm betting it was a great outing in Oxford! 

Back to your reviews: 

I'm glad you really enjoyed The Winter Queen! I think it's a real gem and something rather unusual. But we already talked about this in the Authors Who Cover the Widest Ranges -thread. I've never gotten around to reading the next book in the series, so I'm hoping you'll get there soon so I can read your thoughts on it! :giggle2:  

Little Sacrifices by Jamie Scott sounded great so I'm adding that to my wishlist! 

I'm going to refrain from reading any reviews or thoughts (and blurbs) of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and add it to my wishlist. It sounded intriguing, so I'm taking your advice and I'm just going to plunge into it if/when I get to it! 

The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness is also going on my wishlist... 

Love Nina: Despatches from Family Life by Nina Stibbe

Review:
Love, Nina is a collection of letters that the author sent to her sister, and while replies are referenced, it's a one sided affair, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.  I was a teenager during the period of the book, so there are a wealth of pop culture references that I recognised, making it all the more enjoyable.  I loved Nina, the family and her relationship with them, and Alan Bennett is a neighbour who is a regular at the family dinner table - how could I not love reading this?!

I've seen other reviews mention Adrian Mole as a fictional comparison, and that sums it up perfectly for me.  Funny and heartwarming, but with an honesty and relevance for me, I thought it was great. 

I haven't read many books by Alan Bennett and I'm not at all familiar with his persona, but I've read The Uncommon Reader twice and have really enjoyed it, so that's good :D I also love Adrian Mole so this book is definitely going on my wishlist! :smile2:

The Dog by Kerstin Ekman is a book I cannot not  add to my wishlist :blush: 

I finished The Horologican a couple of days ago, but haven't been in the mood to pick up One Last Thing Before I Go again. :dunno:  In fact, nothing on my TBR pile was tempting, so Sari's suggestion of a Hallowe'en read-a-thon nudged me towards getting the next Brenda and Effie book, which a quarter of the way in, is so entertaining, and a fantastic premise for their latest mystery.

I don't think I knew you were struggling with your TBR at that time, I'm glad the Halloween read-a-thon was of assistance :D

On another note: I've seen copies of Ali Smith's books at the library many times and they always make me think of you :D

Edited by frankie