Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
A classic collection of stories featuring some of the funniest episodes in the life of Bertie Wooster, gentleman, and Jeeves, his gentleman's gentleman - in which Bertie's terrifying Aunt Agatha stalks the pages, seeking whom she may devour, while Bertie's friend Bingo Little falls in love with seven different girls in succession (including the bestselling romantic novelist Rosie M. Banks). And Bertie, with Jeeves's help, hopes to evade the clutches of the terrifying Honoria Glossop... At its heart is one of Wodehouse's most delicious stories, 'The Great Sermon Handicap.'

Review:
When I was growing up, Wodehouse was never on my radar, and I never really watched the television series of Jeeves and Wooster when it was originally on television but when I met my partner it was one of his favourites, so it didn't escape my notice for long.  However, despite watching the television series (including having recently rewatched it), I'd never read the books, but The Inimitable Jeeves was the choice for my book group this month, so it's time had come!

I did want to read the books in order, but found out that the omnibus editions my boyfriend owns are actually out of order as well, so I had to do a little it of digging, and found out that it looked like The Inimitable Jeeves was the first full length novel in the series, so I was happy to read it first.

If you've seen the television adaptation with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, then what you get on the page is literally transferred onto screen.  Dialogue, language, stories, everything is there.  In fact, I'd only recently seen the episode that was based on this story, and I can could picture almost every details from it as it was described in the stories.  It's laugh out loud funny at times, and brilliantly observed, and the language sweeps you away into a class system and society of a bygone age.

I was quite surprised to find quite how much it felt like a collection of short stories, albeit with the same characters threaded through them all, and it makes me wonder if all the books are similar in style.

Very funny, very entertaining, and a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been away for a week in Cornwall, so haven't been around much, although I did try to keep on top of everyone else's posts, even if I didn't reply.

We stayed in a fabulous barn conversion with only the sounds of the birds to accompany some long reading sessions, and close to Helston, is was perfect situated for trips to Penzance to visit The Edge of the World Bookshop, and Falmouth for The Falmouth Bookseller.  I always insist on supporting them when we visit, so came back with four new books:

post-4870-0-10587800-1402740014_thumb.jpg

Italian Ways by Tim Parks

Last Days of the Bus Club by Chris Stewart

The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler

The Taste of Apple Seeds by Katharina Hagena

I did also manage to read a *few* books during the week :blush: All were books I'd definitely class as holiday reads, and a very entertaining week I had!  I'll review some of them later, but a lot of books of continuing series, and lots of murderous intentions spattered throughout, which is not like me at all. The books I read were ... 

Death of a Hussy by M. C. Beaton

Rattle His Bones by Carola Dunn

Tilly by M. C. Beaton

The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters

The Longest Night by Alyxandra Harvey

13 by Kelly Armstrong

Kitty by M. C. Beaton

The Case of the Murdered Muckraker by Carola Dunn

A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

Mistletoe and Murder by Carola Dunn

Conjugal Rites by Paul Magrs

Little Beach Street Café by Jenny Colgan

I did also manage to get out and about ... went to the beach, visited a few nice cafe's and tea shops (my favourite by far was Dolly's Tea Room where I discovered the delights of lemon and ginger iced tea  :biggrin: on the hottest day of the year so far - at least it seemed that way!), and even managed to lose a bit of weight which is always a bonus on holiday :giggle2:

It seems like summer has arrived now, and we had a properly brilliant week - one showery day early on in the week, but apart from that it was fantastic weather, but I realised that when my prescription changed last year and I got new glasses, I didn't get any new sunglasses, so that's something I need to save some money for and get sorted in the not too distant future.

Ah well, holiday over, and I'll be back at work tomorrow. I can see my reading staying at high output level over the next few weeks, as I suspect OH will be watching a lot of football, tennis, golf and cricket, so it'll be headphones in and book out for me! :smile2:

I'm glad you had a great time on your holiday :). I hope you enjoy your new books, those book shops look amazing! You've read a lot, I'm glad it was all very enjoyable. I hope you have fun reading while OH is watching sports.

Thanks Athena. :)  The bookshops are small, but perfectly formed! :D I always find something interesting to buy, and I usually try to come away with some translated fiction, as indie bookshops are often the best places to find some gems from overseas.

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

Sydney always believed that alchemists were born to protect vampire secrets and human lives - until she met Marcus and turned her back on everything she once knew.  But she's not free yet. When her sister Zoe arrives, Sydney can only tell half-truths about her past. And with every word she risks exposure - and the fatal consequences.  Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney must choose her path once and for all. Even if that means harnessing her magical powers to destroy the way of life she was raised to defend ...

Review:
This is the fourth book in the Bloodlines series, which is an offshoot of the Vampire Academy series.  I always enjoy reading Richelle Mead's YA books, she tells exciting stories that really put her characters ideals and skills to the test, and keep you turning the page.  Admittedly, you have to read the books in order, and ideally, you'd want to have read the VA series before starting this one, so you've got a lot of reading to do before you get to this one, but I know I've loved every one of them so far.

There's always romance in them, which I don't mind, but the bigger story is essentially about prejudice, control and standing up for what you believe in, all in a fantasy world of vampires and witches, hunters and royalty.  A rollocking good read, and I can't wait for book five next month.

Hi Claire

It sounds as though you had a wonderful and relaxing vacation in a beautiful spot. I love the name of the one bookstore -- End of the World .. pretty neat idea !

I'm glad you hade such a nice time  ( and got some new books ) . :)

Thanks Julie!  That bookshop is in Penzance which is almost as south westerly as you can get on the mainland, and in a port with a history of pirates and smuggling, so it does seem a particularly suitable name.   :D  It used to be called something different, but the owners retired and a couple from London took it over, and I think they used to work in publishing, so they've tried to use their knowledge of the industry to bring some new ideas to the shop.  They've changed the shop frontage and are trying to bring more book events to the town, but they're quite a long way from most parts of the country (5½ hours by train or 6 hours by road from London - on a good day), so I imagine they have to rely on local authors.

The other problem is that I would imagine they also rely on tourists in the summer season, and the winter months may be a struggle, but they've been there a couple of years now, so hopefully they're making enough money to survive.  We go to that area most years for a holiday, so I always try to buy at least one book there, but I keep my fingers crossed that they can keep going, as there were a lot of empty shops when we visited last week :(

Rattle His Bones by Carola Dunn

To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn

The Case of the Murdered Muckraker by Carola Dunn

Mistletoe and Murder by Carola Dunn

These are books 8-11 of the Daisy Dalrymple murder mystery series.

Review:

Set in the 1920s, these stories follow the heroine, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple, as she somehow finds herself embroiled in mysterious deaths wherever she goes.  After the death of her brother and fiancé in the first World War, and then the death of her father in the flu epidemic, the family estate is entailed on an uncle, and Daisy decides to try to make a living as a journalist, writing magazine articles on the large family estates around the country.  DCI Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard is the handsome widowed policeman who investigates the crimes, and the two become romantically involved.

I love the twenties setting, and the "Right-oh" attitude of our fearless (although sometimes squeamish) heroine, as she inveigles her way into the investigations each time, after often stumbling into the crime scenes, either through work or play, or sometimes even just pure coincidence.   I love how down to earth Daisy is, considering her background, and often the middle classes are more stuck up than the aristocracy!  It's also interesting to see the glimpses of the changing role and attitudes of women in the period, but mostly, the stories are just cracking good yarns, to escape into.  Smashing. :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Your holidays always sound so idyllic Claire :D The polar opposite of all of mine :blush2: Glad you had a nice time, you picked a great week for it and a great holiday destination. 

Well done for losing weight on holiday  :o I've never managed to do that ... I always put about 4lbs on  :giggle:  :blush2:  Did you go walking a lot?

I only make them sound idyllic because I edit the bad stuff out. :giggle2: There were a few "incidents" but nothing to spoil the holiday, thankfully.

I didn't mention, however, that normally when we arrive that a cottage, there is a pint of milk, a packet of biscuits and a bottle of wine as a little welcome gift, but this time the owner had baked us a beautiful lemon cake, filled with home made lemon curd and was absolutely delicious. I limited myself to one slice a day though, but that was really my only treat most days, and I think I lost the weight as I was so busy reading, that I didn't have time to get hungry and stuff my face! :lol:

I often find I lose weight on holiday as I am a bit more active, but mostly, I'm too busy reading or out and about that I don't think about food so much. I've also been trying to avoid the big chain coffee shops as much, and have ended up in the smaller cafés, and have also tried to cut out having cakes there too, although I did end up in Porthleven early one morning, and had poached eggs on toast with my coffee that day, but that's also rare as I don't often eat breakfast. I think I only eat in one other café and that was also toast one morning, so it's was probably fewer treats that helped too.

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm in tea shops far more on holiday than any other time (and I'm in them often enough at home so disaster  :blush2:) and I can never resist trying the cakes. And, as you know, Alan is a terrible influence. I would only be watching him eat if I didn't indulge and eating cake is not a spectator sport  :D 

How lovely of the owner to make you a cake  :wub: very welcoming and it gets the holiday off to a good start. Is there a bookshelf at the cottage? I do love it when I find a bookshelf in a holiday cottage .. I usually find something that I never would have thought of reading otherwise .. mind you We Need to Talk About Kevin gave me nightmares but if it hadn't been that then it would've been something else  :blush2: 

I string all the 'incidents' together until they make a 'catastrophe'  :D 

Alan said he read somewhere that book readers (and it must have meant women in particular) were more inclined to be pear shaped. I think the inference was that I might as well stop trying to fight it  :blush2:  :censored:   :D 

I'm trying to visit fewer cafés and tea shops, and mainly just avoiding the big chains, so I'm not doing too bad at the moment, and OH never comes in with me, so it's usually a solitary reading opportunity, so fortunately, I don't feel left out as there's no one else at the table eating! :lol:

Yes, there was a bookshelf in the cottage and not a bad selection on it either, but I'd already planned out my reading on my Kindle, so I didn't actually read anything from it.  I always have a look at the books in any cottage we stay in - I think it must be something recommended the company that rent them out say they should have, as I think every one we've stayed in has had some books, some DVDs, a few board games and a pack of cards - essential items for most British holidays when the weather keeps everyone inside.  :intherain: 

The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters

Swapping the stifling heat and dust of Egypt for the cooler climes of London, adventuress Amelia Peabody finds herself plunged into an escapade set in the dignified surroundings of the British Museum, and as ever, she is aided and abetted by her irascible husband Emerson and precocious son Ramses. First of all a night watchman is found dead in the Mummy Room of the museum, a look of horror frozen on his face and very soon panic spreads through the capital while the gutter press ask the question 'Can Fear Kill?'. And before Amelia can respond with an appropriate answer, a pair of dissolute aristocrats with a shady past appear in her life together with supernatural curses, a lady of dubious reputation with a link to Emerson's bachelor past and a homicidal maniac disguised as an ancient Sem priest - but they are only the very tip of this most singular mystery. And as Amelia closes in on the murderer, Emerson and Ramses must try to keep her from adding herself to the list of victims…

Review:

I was a bit unsure how I would get on with this story in the Amelia Peabody series, as it was based mainly in London, and I was concerned that it wouldn't have the same feeling not being set in Egypt, but the relationship between Amelia and Emerson was just as strong, and it was actually nice to see Ramses out of his element, dealing with his dreadful cousins.

As usual, the mystery revolved around Egyptology, and it takes a while for Amelia to figure out that there is even a link between the suspicious deaths, and before long realises that someone very close to her could be the next victim. She is also her normal, feminist, eccentric, strident self, suffering no fools and matching Emerson in intellect and courage. An heroine to inspire and admire, and make you chuckle too.

By then end, I had enjoyed it just as much as the earlier books, and I'll definitely keep reading the series, although I hope they go back to Egypt and the archaeology for future adventures!

13 by Kelly Armstrong

War is coming to the Otherworld. A sinister cult known as The Supernatural Liberation Movement is hell-bent on exposing the truth about supernaturals to the rest of the world. Their violent, ruthless plan has put everyone at risk: from werewolves to vampires, from witches to half-demons. Savannah Levine - fiery and unpredictable - stands at the heart of the maelstrom. There is a new, dark magic inside her, granting her the power to summon spells of terrifying strength. But whether this magic is a gift or a curse, no one knows.

On the eve of battle, all the major players must come together in a last, desperate fight for survival - Elena and Clay; Adam and Savannah; Paige and Lucas; Jeremy and Jaime; Hope, Eve and more... They are fighting for lives. They are fighting for their loved ones. They are fighting for the Otherworld.

Review:

I stared reading the Women of the Otherworld series thanks to a recommendation on this forum, and here I am, five years later, having made it to the last book of the series. As a whole, I've enjoyed some books more than others, but I have to say, for me, 13 brought the series to a riveting conclusion.

Savannah was introduced to the series as a young girl, and through the stories, she has suffered the loss of her mother, learnt her craft as a witch while being brought up by Paige and Lucas, and lost her powers. I know some readers aren't that keen on her, but I think she's great. No matter what adversity she faces, she's never afraid to fight her corner, and although at times she has acted immaturely or seemingly selfishly, I think she did amazingly well for such a young girl in some very adult situations. In this final episode, she finally grows into her own woman, stepping out of the dark shadow her mother left over her and proves her worth.

Armstrong does a great job of bringing the series to a conclusion with an exciting denouement, and furthering the stories of each of the women we've followed through the thirteen books, but not tying up all the loose ends. I prefer it when this happens, as loose ends are never tied up in real life, so if felt like this was the end of an era for the characters, but that life would carry on with future curve balls coming over the horizon.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the whole series, even if some were weaker than others, but a big thanks go to the members of the forum for introducing me to this fabulous supernatural series.

A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

Emma Day and her two cousins, Gretchen and Penelope, are uninterested in their debutante lives. All the boring balls, tiresome curtsying and polite conversation leave much to be desired. Then a girl is found dead, frost clinging to her lifeless body, and the murder is traced to Emma. As their world is turned upside down, Emma discovers more about herself and her cousins, from her connection to the murders to the secrets of her family legacy. Now the girls must embrace their true Lovegrove inheritance in order to stop the chaos, even if that means risking their lives. Dangerously handsome Cormac Fairfax wants to help Emma – but, with secrets of his own to hide, can she trust him?

Review:

I've really enjoyed the other Alyxandra Harvey YA books I've read, all of which have a supernatural element, whether that was vampires or ghosts, and this new series looks into the world of witchcraft, albeit in Regency England.

The three young women at the heart of the story defy the strictures of society, with their attitude and their language with their family heritage putting them at odds with plenty of decent society, but at one of the balls they must attend as debutantes, a chain of events is set in motion that will change their outlook forever, finding themselves in the middle of the magical world of witchcraft. The story is a page turner, as I've found with other books from Harvey - exciting, thrilling, romantic and perilous, and made for a very entertaining read. I look forward to reading the second book in the series and finding out what happens next to the girls.

However … there was a problem for me, and that was the odd Americanism that crept in. The first one I spotted, which I can sort of forgive, was the spelling of the word 'odor'. I don't know if this is acceptable, as the author is American, and she would spell the word that way, and not the English way, 'odour' but if the book is being published in the UK, I would expect this sort of thing to have been changed. That was minor, and I quickly forgave it, until I came across the use of the word 'sidewalk'. It made me wonder if I'd got it wrong, and that word was in use at the time, but having done a bit of research, it was used in English, but outside of North America, it would have been either 'side Walk' or 'side-walk', so I feel justified in my grumbling that it wasn't correct and shouldn't have been used. It did take me out of the story when I came across it, and it also set me to wondering again about the differences between American English and British English, and how much we should expect them to be changed between US and UK publications. I think if you're setting a book in England and all your characters are British, then you should use British English, but at the end of the day, this is a YA supernatural romp, and as long as it's entertaining, maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much!

Conjugal Rites by Paul Magrs

No matter what she tries to do, trouble has a way of finding Brenda. It’s hardly surprising with secrets like hers. When her old adversary Mr Danby starts filling the airwaves with his late night phone in show it can only mean one thing – and sure enough best friend Effie soon finds herself up to her neck in it. But that is only the beginning; fate has an even bigger surprise in store. Romance is in the air for Brenda and, do what she will, she cannot deny that she and her man were made for each other – literally. But as usual, Brenda and Effie will face up to whatever dangers come their way with fortitude and grace: even if that means journeying to places beyond their wildest dreams.

Review:

Oh how I love Brenda and Effie. How can you not love a story with a pair of OAP heroines leading the way, set in the seaside resort of Whitby, where Brenda runs a B&B, Effie runs an antique shop, there is a hotel where it's Christmas everyday, and an apparently evil radio presenter who keeps his mother in a suitcase!

There is so much joy and heart in these books, and in this third instalment we find out more about Brenda's past (and potentially her future), and go to hell and back with Effie on a rescue mission. After the first book, which was more like a collection of short stories, the next two books have been full length stories and this one brings to life some of the characters only previously mentioned in passing, adding more flesh to the bones of this world, and allowing the others to develop further, with some surprising results.

Absolutely loved reading this one, and will definitely be back for the next one.

Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their flat, she has to move miles away from everyone, to a sleepy little seaside resort in Cornwall, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.

And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes . . . And people start to hear about it.

Sometimes, bread really is life . . . And Polly is about to reclaim hers.

Review:

This was a perfect summer holiday book … Cornwall, romance, comedy, bread - who could ask for anything more?! I don't really know why Jenny Colgan's books haven't been made into films (unless she doesn't want them to be, and won't the rights) as they'd make great romantic comedies. I've only fairly recently come back to Colgan and romcoms in general, but I love the escapism of them - the heroine starts off with some sort of adversity and gradually with some vocational inspiration, finds the way to a better life. I love that the genre has moved on from finding Mr Right, and now it's much more about being happier with life in general.

I was on holiday when I read this, and actually not staying very far from where this book is set - it's actually on a fictional island joined to the mainland by a tidal causeway, which I'm guessing was inspired by St Michael's Mount. I've actually walked over the causeway to St Michael's Mount in the past, and it's a lovely little island, so I could picture the characters in the setting really well.

Jenny Colgan has found a new element in her recent books, each based on food of some sort, and this one was all about bread, and it certainly made my mouth water! I've still got a few more to read, but I'll definitely be adding them to future holiday reading lists, as they match my mood perfectly when I'm away.

Last Days of the Bus Club by Chris Stewart

It’s two decades since Chris Stewart moved to his farm on the wrong side of a river in the mountains of southern Spain and his daughter Chloe is preparing to fly the nest for university. In this latest, typically hilarious dispatch from El Valero, we find Chris, now something of a local literary celebrity, using that fame to help out his old sheep-shearing partner; cooking a TV lunch for visiting British chef, Rick Stein; and discovering the pitfalls of Spanish public speaking. Yet it’s at El Valero, his beloved sheep farm, that Chris is most in his element as he, his wife Ana and their assorted dogs, cats and sheep weather a near calamitous flood and emerge as newly certified organic farmers. His cash crop? The lemons and oranges he once so blithely drove over, of course.

Review:

I can't believe it's 15 years since I read Chris's first book, Driving Over Lemons, and that Chloe is now the age to head off to university … where does the time go? :D

There's not much to say about it, other than it's the continuing story of Chris and Ana's life on El Valero, with some familiar faces making an appearance, and the chance to catch up with the farm, the family and the surroundings. I love reading tales of people who've settled abroad, and Chris's have been some of the most enjoyable. If you've read the earlier books from Chris, you'll definitely feel back on familiar territory, and will be happy to settle back down with this Englishman abroad.

In fact, I was browsing the bookshelves earlier and came across the book that first started me reading travel literature, A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle, and I've taken it down to have a re-read!

The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler

Ardent, idealistic, Esme Garland moves to Manhattan where Mitchel van Leuven - a New Yorker with the bluest of blue New York blood - captures her heart. Life seems truly glorious … until a thin blue line signals a wrinkle in Esme's tidy plan. Before she has a chance to tell Mitchell about her pregnancy, he suddenly ends it all. Determined to master everything from Degas to diapers, Esme starts work at a small West Side bookstore. The oddball customers are a welcome distraction, but the store is struggling to survive in the city where nothing seems to last. When Mitchell decides he wants Esme back, his passion and promises are hard to resist. But if Esme gives him a second chance, will she, like her beloved bookstore, lose more than she can handle?

Review:

I bought this on holiday, and the blurb and the cover set in squarely in the romcom (I've gone off the term chick-lit) genre. I started reading it and for the first hundred or so pages, I was enjoying it, although it felt a bit more realistic and less romanticised that other romcoms I've read, but that was okay, it made a change. But by the end, I was not sure what to make of it … and I'm still not.

Esme is studying Art History at Columbia after having graduated from Cambridge University, so she's obviously very intelligent, and her studies crop up throughout the book. The book opens with her finding out she's pregnant, and while it has a major impact on her life, and on the decisions she makes, there's the odd incident (one very serious), but for the most part, you don't get any mention of what it's doing to her body, and then all of a sudden at the end, she goes into labour and you'd never realised she was even that far along in the pregnancy! It's casually mentioned that she's got the essentials at home for caring for the baby, but when did she buy them? Where did she get the money for them all? It's like whole swathes of her pregnancy were glossed over.

Then there's the relationship with Mitchell. It seemed to me fairly obvious where it was going, even Esme seemed to sense it, but kept being blindsided by him. I can't really discuss much more about him without giving away the ending, but if anyone else ever reads this book, I REALLY want to discuss it with you!

Finally, the eponymous bookstore. You'd think it would be at the centre of the story based on the cover, but actually it's not. It's a bit like everything else - it's there some of the time, you get caught up in it, then you're off to the Hamptons and it's forgotten about. You love the characters when they're there, but sometimes it felt like they were just there to discuss the current state of the book market, and competition from online and chain bookshops.

I'm going round in circles at the moment … I don't know what I felt about it. It was okay to read, and definitely had a foot in reality more than other books of this genre, although actually, I don't think it is a romcom. There's not much romance in it - sex and relationships, yes, but romance … probably not. There's also not much comedy there either, perhaps the odd chuckle, but on the whole, no. So why give it such a blurb and a cover to make you think it's that? I'm still deliberating whether I liked it at the moment, and I'm not sure I'll come up with an answer soon.

I'm again very behind on reading other people's reading logs, but I came here to read the review on The Bookstore (and will get to the others later if not after this one.). 

Oh dear! One would really want to love a romcom called The Bookstore, right?! I agree with the term 'chick-lit', but then again, 'romcom' sounds kind of odd to me... 'com' makes me think of cons aka conventions, and ... Romance convention? Romanian convention? What are the other words in English that start with rom... :unsure::giggle2:

The pregnancy part... Well, if one's reading romcom, who wants to hear about morning sickness and varicous veins! :rolleyes::D Or maybe the book is not only romanticizing the people but the pregnancy :o Clever! 'It's a piece of cake!'

When we talked about the book on the Book Activity thread I said I'd check if there were any copies at the library. Sadly, no. But having read your review, maybe I'm not missing much.... But having read your thoughts on Mitchell, or rather, you claiming there's more to the story than you can share in fear of spoilers, I really want to read the book :D 

Too bad that the bookstore wasn't in the center of events. If you include the noun in the title of a book, you'd better make sure it has something very essential to do with the story!!!  :motz:

It's really a shame that you ended up with mixed feelings about the book. I remember how you were enjoying it so much in the beginning.  

Romcom is possibly a very British word, mainly for romantic comedy films (although I still love that Shaun of the Dead was labelled a romzomcom :giggle2:), but I think it fits well for what I used to consider chick-lit, before it was pointed out that that was a bit derogatory and rather condescending.

The whole pregnancy is almost dismissed … it's really odd, but you barely realise the time moving as there's little mention of clothes not fitting, the physical changes on her body, and apart from the one serious incident, the only thing I can really remember was the hormonal changes and how her sexual desires are increased.  It's not that there's lots of sex in it, or that it's particularly graphic, it's just that's the side of the pregnancy that seemed to get the most attention, which just felt a bit strange.

And it just didn't lead anywhere at the end.  I mean, the bookstore was important, but not the centre of the book.  Her relationships were important, but didn't feel resolved in any way by the end, but I was sort of ok with that, as that's like real life.  Having said that, it leads you down a certain route that you think will develop, but even that sort of peters out.

I might have to get a friend to read it just so that I can sit down and have a good old discussion about it, to see if it's me or if I've missed the point completely.  And I'm still not sure that I didn't enjoy it … it didn't offend me in any way, and I wanted to keep reading right up until the last page, so perhaps I just need to talk it out! :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

Romcom is possibly a very British word, mainly for romantic comedy films (although I still love that Shaun of the Dead was labelled a romzomcom :giggle2:), but I think it fits well for what I used to consider chick-lit, before it was pointed out that that was a bit derogatory and rather condescending.

Romzomcom :D I've not heard that word before. Personally I don't think I would label Shaun of the Dead in that way... :lol: Hilarious! 

I guess, like you mentioned, I would think of 'romcom' in terms of movies, and not as books as such... I wonder if there's a discussion on these two terms in the chick-lit section. 

Now that we're talking about it, I think it's kind of interesting(?)/odd(?) that I don't like the terms 'romcom' or chick-lit, even though I don't mind reading books in that genre. I wonder if anyone can actually come up with a term to describe the whole genre without sounding a bit odd/funky. But then, is that just in my head. Makes one wonder. 

The whole pregnancy is almost dismissed … it's really odd, but you barely realise the time moving as there's little mention of clothes not fitting, the physical changes on her body, and apart from the one serious incident, the only thing I can really remember was the hormonal changes and how her sexual desires are increased.  It's not that there's lots of sex in it, or that it's particularly graphic, it's just that's the side of the pregnancy that seemed to get the most attention, which just felt a bit strange.

Okay okay, I'm taking things more seriously now. It is odd that the pregnancy doesn't play a bigger part in the novel. No matter how unplanned/planned it is, it changes one's body and one's life entirely. And such a big change ought to play some sort of role in the book... 

And it just didn't lead anywhere at the end.  I mean, the bookstore was important, but not the centre of the book.  Her relationships were important, but didn't feel resolved in any way by the end, but I was sort of ok with that, as that's like real life.  Having said that, it leads you down a certain route that you think will develop, but even that sort of peters out.

I don't like books that don't lead the reader anywhere. I mean it's one thing to have a happy/unhappy ending that's all sorted out and doesn't leave the reader wondering. And it's one thing to leave the reader wondering about some things. But it's a whole different thing leaving the reader wonder what the hell was the point of the book in the first place, and how this and that were not discussed more and how at least some pivotal things were not resolved. One needs some sort of certainty! 

I might have to get a friend to read it just so that I can sit down and have a good old discussion about it, to see if it's me or if I've missed the point completely.  And I'm still not sure that I didn't enjoy it … it didn't offend me in any way, and I wanted to keep reading right up until the last page, so perhaps I just need to talk it out! :lol:

Yeah, I think you need to do that to get some sort of closure, because the book failed to give you any... :D I'm sorry  :empathy:

Edited by frankie

I haven't heard of romzomcom either, that's nice! I call those books chick-lit myself, it's a derogatory term but I don't know much of a better one, and 'romcom' does sound better but like Frankie it reminds me more of films.