Claire's book list 2014

chesilbeach

I'm still working my way through The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters, and I'm at about 40% now, but hoping to settle down with it this afternoon and finish.

I've updated the first couple of posts in this thread with my books read for the year and my current TBR list this morning, just to make sure I'm up to date.  Quite pleased with my TBR, but every time it goes down by four or five books, it creeps by a couple, so it seems like an unending task, but it is gradually diminishing.  My target is to reduce it significantly before my next batch of time off from work, so that by then, I can buy a book when I'm ready to read it, so that I don't build up another TBR.  I know I did this once before, but it very quickly piled up again, hence why I'm trying to get back down to zero again! :D

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't manage to read as much as I hoped yesterday (too much sport to keep up with :giggle2:) but I'm not up to 78% now, so perhaps I might get it finished tonight … or tomorrow lunch break … or tomorrow evening … well, you get the picture ;)

I've updated the first couple of posts in this thread with my books read for the year and my current TBR list this morning, just to make sure I'm up to date.

Geez Louise woman!  That's a lot of reading!  91 already!?  You had some very good months!  Here I think I'm doing good if I get 5-6 per month.

Geez Louise woman!  That's a lot of reading!  91 already!?  You had some very good months!  Here I think I'm doing good if I get 5-6 per month.

:giggle2: The good months are the ones where I've had a week holiday away from home - I spend most of my holidays reading, and can get through 1-2 books a day, and this year, I think both weeks away were 12+ books. Some books are also audiobooks when I'm working on other things, although not that many so far, perhaps one a month on average? :dunno: But essentially, not much of a social life, guaranteed lunch break reading, and just getting stuck into good stories means I get through a whole bunch of book every year. :D

But essentially, not much of a social life, guaranteed lunch break reading, and just getting stuck into good stories means I get through a whole bunch of book every year. :D

I am "lucky" enough to be unemployed, so I get lots of reading time too- although my mom has been staying here recently and I don't want to be in my room reading the whole time!  Do you have a goal for the year or just see how far you'll make it?  How many do you think you can do this year- I'd be amazed!

No goal in term of numbers, but I would like to progress some of my reading lists. I did break the 150 mark last year which was something I'd been hoping, reading over 180 in total, but I won't be anywhere near that this year and I'm not bothered by it either. My reading does tend to drop off in October and November because of a website I run which needs updating daily between October and mid December, but my reading usually picks up again over the Christmas period, usually due to the lure of the shiny new books on the shelf that Father Christmas often brings me ;)

No goal in term of numbers, but I would like to progress some of my reading lists. I did break the 150 mark last year which was something I'd been hoping, reading over 180 in total, but I won't be anywhere near that this year and I'm not bothered by it either. My reading does tend to drop off in October and November because of a website I run which needs updating daily between October and mid December, but my reading usually picks up again over the Christmas period, usually due to the lure of the shiny new books on the shelf that Father Christmas often brings me ;)

I don't have a goal either- in fact, I've never tracked what books and when for any year til I joined this site, so that has been interesting.  I had a boom Spring, the summer too, until July.  IF I finished The Fountainhead this month, I've only got 3 done this MONTH! 

I'm not even sure what my reading will be like when I start school, but I know I want to practice my writing during the reviews I write.  Hopefully, they'll be as good as some others on here- you write great reviews, I always read them, even though we read different kinds of books.

I get though around 5 books per month as well Anna - sometimes 6 but it depends how busy work and social stuff is. I wish I could read as much/as fast as Claire (I'm not that fast a reader despite how much reading I do!) but as long as I'm enjoying it then it's all good.

Some books take longer than others - I'm shortly going to start Pride and Prejudice which I reckon may be one of the longer ones :D

How are you going with progressing your reading lists, Claire? I'm trying to progress the English Counties list - done 10 out of 48 so far!

I don't have a goal either- in fact, I've never tracked what books and when for any year til I joined this site, so that has been interesting.  I had a boom Spring, the summer too, until July.  IF I finished The Fountainhead this month, I've only got 3 done this MONTH! 

I'm not even sure what my reading will be like when I start school, but I know I want to practice my writing during the reviews I write.  Hopefully, they'll be as good as some others on here- you write great reviews, I always read them, even though we read different kinds of books.

I started a blog for a few years before I joined the forum (the blog has long since been forgotten :giggle2:) and started a spreadsheet during 2006, and have since converted it to a database, so I've got records for eight years of reading now!  :o 

Thanks for the compliment on my reviews - I have to be honest and say I don't spend too much time on them, and they're a bit of a stream of consciousness sometimes, just blurting out everything I can think of as I'm writing!  I think the could be better, a bit more organised and more considered, but I'm glad you read them anyway.  Like you, I read almost all the reviews of the books on here, even for books I know I won't be interested in reading, although you never know, maybe one day I'll stray into some more gritty crime novels or those epic science fiction or fantasy worlds. ;) 

I get though around 5 books per month as well Anna - sometimes 6 but it depends how busy work and social stuff is. I wish I could read as much/as fast as Claire (I'm not that fast a reader despite how much reading I do!) but as long as I'm enjoying it then it's all good.

Some books take longer than others - I'm shortly going to start Pride and Prejudice which I reckon may be one of the longer ones :D

How are you going with progressing your reading lists, Claire? I'm trying to progress the English Counties list - done 10 out of 48 so far!

I'm only a fast reader on books with gripping stories and interesting characters I invest in, as I just get so caught up in them, I can't wait to find out what's going to happen next! For the more demanding books (like Hawksmoor, which I still need to review), then I can be a very slow reader. Hawksmoor took me four or five days and for a book just over 200 pages, that's a very long time for me. It needed such concentration to get to grips with the language and the dual period setting, that I just couldn't read it fast, in fact, I often re-read sentences, paragraphs or pages to try and understand it fully!  :banghead: 

My reading lists are coming along quite nicely - this year so far I've read one from my Jane Austen challenge, one from the J. L. Carr list, two Persephone books and six from the English Counties Challenge, so that's not too bad. Trying to reduce my TBR at the moment though, and I don't really include challenge books on there, so they've taken a bit of a back seat for the next couple of months, but I think I'll probably spend a bit more time on them once the autumn comes.  :readingtwo: 

Oooooh, (possibly) exciting news!!!!  Went to one of the shopping areas near me today, and one of the shops that's currently being refitted has an intriguing but rather vague poster in the window that certainly suggests it's going to be a bookshop! :exc:    It's due to open this month, so I guess I've not got long to wait to find out. I'll have to get my detective cap on and see if I can find out more … :typing:

Edited by chesilbeach

I've been taking part in a Twitter book thing for the last couple of months called #BookADayUK. It was started by the publishers Borough Press in June, then Doubleday Books took the helm in July, and this month the Sibhan Dowd Trust have taken over. Each month the host has set a list of categories, one for each day, and asked people to tweet their choices of books for each category. I've had a lot of fun coming up with my own selections (although I have missed a few days), but thought I might expand on some of my choices for this month here (rather than trying to cram all my thoughts into 140 characters :D). The list of categories this month are (if you click on the picture it will take you to the tweet but is a better size to see what the categories are):

post-4870-0-79219000-1406991980_thumb.jpg

I started yesterday with The most arresting opening line, for which I chose Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.  The opening line is "Let me tell you about when I was a girl, our grandfather says."  How could you NOT want to read on?  I adore this book, it's probably my favourite book ever, and this opening sentence gives you a sense of what you can expect, to be told a story, but an unusual one that will make you think. The story for me was incredibly moving, and by the end I cried tears, but tears of joy, seriously the most joyous book I've ever read.

The #bookadayuk category today is The best pairing of words and pictures and my choice is Raoul Taburin Keeps A Secret by Jean-Jacques Sempé. It's a whimsical tale of a bicycle repair man who keeps a secret from everyone he knows, and the consequences it has on his life. It's a very traditional style of illustration with a nostalgic tone, and the story itself is utterly charming, amusing and affectionate, and has that classic small French town feel with an almost timeless quality about it. I completely loved it.

post-4870-0-48004700-1406994656_thumb.jpg

Day 3 with #bookadayuk is your favourite collection of short stories. I do love Ali Smith's short stories, but I suspect I could pick her books in almost all categories, so for the sake of variety, I've gone with the sublime Love Begins In Winter by Simon Van Booy.

post-4870-0-84278600-1407075544_thumb.jpg

Here is an extract from my original review, and I still stand by it!

Exquisite. There really isn't a better word to describe the latest collection of short stories by Simon Van Booy from Beautiful Books. Tales of love and loss are beautifully written, with the emotions flowing off the page and into your heart.

I am in complete awe of the mastery of a writer who can express the depth of a love between a man and woman, and the heartbreaking sadness of loss within the confines of a story that is only a few pages long, but Simon Van Booy achieves just this.

Edited by chesilbeach

Oooooh, (possibly) exciting news!!!!  Went to one of the shopping areas near me today, and one of the shops that's currently being refitted has an intriguing but rather vague poster in the window that certainly suggests it's going to be a bookshop! :exc:    It's due to open this month, so I guess I've not got long to wait to find out. I'll have to get my detective cap on and see if I can find out more … :typing:

This is exciting news Claire :) I bet they've done their homework and found that a bookaholic lives nearby :D Look forward to finding out more ... is there a cafe nearby? Perhaps Alan and I can come visit next time :) xx

I've been taking part in a Twitter book thing for the last couple of months called #BookADayUK. It was started by the publishers Borough Press in June, then Doubleday Books took the helm in July, and this month the Sibhan Dowd Trust have taken over. Each month the host has set a list of categories, one for each day, and asked people to tweet their choices of books for each category. I've had a lot of fun coming up with my own selections (although I have missed a few days), but thought I might expand on some of my choices for this month here (rather than trying to cram all my thoughts into 140 characters :D). The list of categories this month are (if you click on the picture it will take you to the tweet but is a better size to see what the categories are):

attachicon.gifBookADayUKAugust.jpg

I started yesterday with The most arresting opening line, for which I chose Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.  The opening line is "Let me tell you about when I was a girl, our grandfather says."  How could you NOT want to read on?  I adore this book, it's probably my favourite book ever, and this opening sentence gives you a sense of what you can expect, to be told a story, but an unusual one that will make you think. The story for me was incredibly moving, and by the end I cried tears, but tears of joy, seriously the most joyous book I've ever read.

Great book Claire and that is a brilliant opening sentence :) We did something like this a few years back but these categories look more interesting .. I can't wait to see what you put down for category 22 :D :D :D 

The #bookadayuk category today is The best pairing of words and pictures and my choice is Raoul Taburin Keeps A Secret by Jean-Jacques Sempé. It's a whimsical tale of a bicycle repair man who keeps a secret from everyone he knows, and the consequences it has on his life. It's a very traditional style of illustration with a nostalgic tone, and the story itself is utterly charming, amusing and affectionate, and has that classic small French town feel with an almost timeless quality about it. I completely loved it.

attachicon.gifRaoul Taburin Keeps A Secret.jpg

I love the sound of this :) I don't read enough illustrated books though I love them. I'll look out for this one :)

Love the sound of the short stories too. Oh Lord! ... this is going to be tough on my wishlist :D

Edited by poppyshake

This is exciting news Claire :) I bet they've done their homework and found that a bookaholic lives nearby :D Look forward to finding out more ... is there a cafe nearby? Perhaps Alan and I can come visit next time :) xx

My favourite cafe is nearby, just down the road.  The only problem is parking - there's only two hours free parking on the main streets near it, and it's always full, and it's quite close to the seafront which is always full too, and overflows into the residential areas, so it can be tricky to find somewhere to stay for a while, unless you know the area, but I'm sure we can work something out.  Fingers crossed, it's turns out to be what it says it is!

Great book Claire and that is a brilliant opening sentence :) We did something like this a few years back but these categories look more interesting .. I can't wait to see what you put down for category 22 :D  

We did, didn't we?  I've got three months worth of questions built up now, so maybe I could set a thread going again next month so everyone here could join in.

I'm already thinking about day 22 - I'm not sure I want to kill anyone, although at least they are fictional!

I love the sound of this :) I don't read enough illustrated books though I love them. I'll look out for this one :)

Love the sound of the short stories too. Oh Lord! ... this is going to be tough on my wishlist :D

I'm not a big reader of illustrated stories, but OH bought it for me for Christmas one year.  Previous years, he'd bought me some gorgeous editions of the Nicholas books, which are children's short stories based around with mischievous French schoolboy, written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempé, and we both loved them, so when he saw this book by Sempé, he couldn't resist. :wub:

I've read two of Van Booy's collections of short stories and was impressed with both.  He is such an incredible writer, I can't praise him highly enough.  He then wrote a novel, which was just as breath taking.  I think he's published a second novel as well now, but I haven't read it yet … still battling with that TBR first! :D

I'm behind a few days with my twitter choices, but I'll try to catch up this morning.

Unfortunately, too much stuff going on at the moment, so didn't get any reading time yesterday, :doh: and not looking promising for today either.  :banghead:  Hopefully I'll be able to find *some* time this weekend, as next week is going to be hectic too, and I'm already counting down the days until the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month when I'll have a long weekend!  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo: 

We did, didn't we?  I've got three months worth of questions built up now, so maybe I could set a thread going again next month so everyone here could join in.

I'm already thinking about day 22 - I'm not sure I want to kill anyone, although at least they are fictional!

I like hearing your daily challenges- you should post a thread.  I love your opening line!  And the book- wow!  I wish someone would give me a book like that.  BTW- You should join us in a read-a- thon!

Claire, I thought about bringing the bookadayuk over to here, but was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up. I have a bit of time this weekend, how would you feel if I started a thread for the first few days of August, and we could try to keep it going between us? I don't want to take away from your own thread if you want to do it on here?

Sounds great, Michelle!  I was really only putting them in my thread as they were books I'd read and I wanted more than 140 characters :giggle2: but if we can get everyone else to join in, I think it would be very interesting.  I'm happy to move over to a new thread, and I've been pretty good (apart from the last few hectic days) as keeping up to date, so I'm sure between us, we could keep it running.  I think the twitter version has been very successful, and I hope that someone else will pick up the baton for future months - I think it's good publicity for the publishers/organisation who run them each month, so I can see it running for a while yet.

Edited by chesilbeach