Frankie reads 2014

frankie

i just love your shelves Frankie! :) so neat and ogranised. Mine have become a bit messy...

I didn't think them messy when you showed your shelves :blush2:, have they become messy since then? You could always organise it again if you feel up for it and have the strength.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just love your shelves Frankie! :) so neat and ogranised. Mine have become a bit messy...

Thanks Devi! :) Of course they were neat and organized, I had to put them in proper nice order for the pics.. :giggle2: And I've been reading library books for the past month so I haven't had a chance to get the shelves in a chaos yet :D 

I've now read 60 books this year, I'm only 12 books behind on my reading challenge this year, I set it for 100 read books :giggle2: Oh well! It's good to have ideals... 

Yesterday I got my Espoo map on the table, googled all the different libraries in Espoo and looked them up on the map. There are 14 of them, not including my 'own' library at Sello. I was happy to learn that there's one other library that is rather close to me, and it's in the direction where I've been for my walks. If I'd only walked further, I would've come by the library on accident. It's less than 2 kilometers from my place. Awesome! :smile2: 

The Sello library is a bit too loud and active for my liking, and I'm going to go and check all the other libraries soon to see what they are like and where I'd like to get a job. I mean I'd be happy to work in which ever library would take me, but I'm likely to have my preferences and I'd like to try and get a job at a library I feel comfortable in. I feel comfortable enough at the Sello library as a customer, but it's probably not the library I'd like to work in. I like my libraries as libraries, not as playgrounds :giggle2: 

I haven't been able to go and ask for a job at the libraries yet because I'm waiting for the unemployment agency to call me. They called me last week but they referred me to another worker who deals with people in my situation, and I'm waiting to hear from those people. 

On another note... I think I witnessed something of another world last week :o It was so odd! 

I was at the library, picking up some books, and then I was going to go home and decided to take the elevator. Two kids, maybe 11 year old, walked in front of me to the elevator. The boy was reading a comic book, and the girl was walking behind him, opening the doors for him and telling him to turn left or right, so that the boy didn't have to stop reading his comic book to see where he was going. She always had at least one arm on his shoulder, she never lost contact. She pushed the button for the elevator and the boy just kept on reading. When the elevator came, she pushed him in and I joined them. It was so funny and endearing! The boy never took his eyes off the book... When we got to the ground level, the girl pushed the boy off the elevator and opened the door for him, and pushed him to the zebra crossing. Their light was green and they could walk on. My own light was red, I was going along Leppävaarankatu, not across it. As I had to wait, I kept on watching the kids go. Then my light turned green and I had to watch that I would be okay to cross the road myself. When I was good to go, I took another look at the kids across the road, but I could only see the boy reading the book and walking. Where was the girl? I didn't see her anywhere :o It was soooo strange.... :D Was she a bookworm angel, getting a book reading boy safely out of the library and across the road, so he could just focus on his book? And when she thought he was good to go, she vanished into thin air? 

I love your bookshelves! The bookcase looks so big, but then when you posted the individual pics of the books, I swear there were at least twice as many books as could fit in that bookcase (even accounting for double stacking). You've packed them very well, and I love how you've shelved them according to particular things, like recommendations. Now I see why you had so much trouble working out how to shelve them! I'm much lazier and just do A-Z with mine.

What an odd story about the girl and the boy! But so sweet of her to guide him. I wonder if you'll see them around again? I hope so!

Wow, 14 libraries in Espoo! How many people (roughly) live in the city? It sounds like a city of bookworms. Delightful! :)

That's a lot of libraries in your town! I don't think there are many cities here with that many libraries, if any! I know Helmond had a few but they had to cut back so they closed them all except the central one.

I hope you can find a library you really like :).

That's so sweet, of the girl and the boy!

I love your bookshelves! The bookcase looks so big, but then when you posted the individual pics of the books, I swear there were at least twice as many books as could fit in that bookcase (even accounting for double stacking). You've packed them very well, and I love how you've shelved them according to particular things, like recommendations. Now I see why you had so much trouble working out how to shelve them! I'm much lazier and just do A-Z with mine.

To me, the bookcase doesn't even look that big, and when I look at the books on the shelves, I'm like, where are all my books, they can't fit into that one bookcase, no way. But when I start pulling books off the shelves, there's a lot of them. But sure, I've given away or take to store at my parents' place at least 150 books this year, and more likely the total is over 200 books. The books I owned at the start of the year (or last year!) would definitely not have fitted in that bookcase.

Hehe, it was definitely an ordeal to organize the books. You know I like my books according to themes/genres/other categories. I've had a special shelf dedicated to BCF books for a long long time, and I also had a special place for my OZ books (both book that are by Australians and/or are set in Australia AND the books you've sent me over the years :smile2:).

I don't think your way to shelve your books is lazy. I think it's an excellent way: you have your fiction and non-fiction separately and fiction is going by the alphabets. If I had bookcases like yours, I would most likely do the same thing. It's just not very handy for me because my bookcases have always been ones where you can double stack etc. And you are a lot more organized with your books in that you'll go for certain sizes and formats. I usually go with what's the cheapest option and what's available :blush: So my books are all different sizes and types and it's a bit annoying.

What an odd story about the girl and the boy! But so sweet of her to guide him. I wonder if you'll see them around again? I hope so!

I hope so too! :D Oh I'm sure I will, they looked like they were very much the bookish type. Well the boy at least.

Wow, 14 libraries in Espoo! How many people (roughly) live in the city? It sounds like a city of bookworms. Delightful! :)

14 + my Sello library, to be exact! :) Espoo is the second biggest city in Finland (going by population), there are 262 140 people living here (plus me!)

That's a lot of libraries in your town! I don't think there are many cities here with that many libraries, if any! I know Helmond had a few but they had to cut back so they closed them all except the central one.

As I've said before somewhere, Finnish people are one of the top users of libraries and based on what I've heard on the state of things in other countries on this forum, we have it very good over here with our library systems. I'm really happy and grateful for that!

Trying to get on top of reviews again. I read these books ages ago so I honestly don't remember much about them :blush:

The Bad Girls' Club

by Rhian Tracey 

post-4458-0-63231500-1411903789_thumb.jpg

From Amazon: Four girls - Mary, Bea, Meena and Atlanta - are thrown together when they are picked for very different reasons by their teacher, to form a book review club. Their discussions and reviews will be heard on radio, chaired and presented by the incredibly cool Jazz. As the girls gradually relax and talk more and more animatedly about what they think about the different books, they find they are learning from, as well as about, each other. And so they become friends...Until one day Mary does the unforgivable and, having flirted outrageously with Bea's new boyfriend, makes an all-out play for him. The tender new friendship of the foursome is fractured as a result of what Mary has done. Narrated by the different characters in turn, this is fresh, contemporary and compulsive writing that every teenager will identify with, charting the insecurities and the tests of friendship that are part of growing up the world over.

Thoughts: I read this back in spring (or early summer?) when I was lacking my darling mojo and I was reading through YA books and children's books. I only picked this book up because it's about four girls doing a book club. Not a very memorable book, and not something I would re-read or heartily recommend to other people, but still it was an enjoyable read. 

3/5

The Illustrated Mum 
by Jacqueline Wilson 

299144ce-428a-476d-b147-7ed327628297.png

From Amazon: Dolphin adores her mother, Marigold. She's got wonderful clothes, bright hair and vivid tattoos all over her body - a colourful lady, to match her colourful life. But Dolphin's older sister, Star, is beginning to wonder if living with Marigold's fiery, unpredictable moods is the best thing for the girls . . .

Thoughts: I loved this book! It was recommended to me by my library guru in Joensuu, but at the time the copies were all borrowed so I read another book by Wilson at first: Lola Rose. I really liked that one, too, but this book was even better. Like I've said in my review for LR, I like it how Wilson writes about difficult issues very openly and without any false graces, and yet her books never come across as patronizing or overbearing. Her books are realistic but in my opinion they maintain a sense of hope and optimism. 

I definitely want to read more books by Jacqueline Wilson, and this one is actually going on my recommended books -list :smile2: 

5/5 and highly recommended!

I think I've said before, but Amy has become a JW fan.. she has some of her books, but it's the audio versions she really likes. I think her audio catalogue is full of JW and Dvid Walliams! :)

You actually asked Amy which books she'd recommend for someone of my age to read and she recommended I read Midnight, and it's still on my wishlist and I will definitely look for it one day when I'm in the mood for JW's books :smile2: And I'm always happy to hear if Amy has any other recommendations for JW's books! 

Edited by frankie

Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

kolmetoista_syyta-asher_jay-25397009-324

I read the first three pages. And I already wanted to start this review and tell you how brilliant the concept is. This is about a young girl who's committed suicide and the reasons behind her decision to do so. And the people who had an effect on it, and who are now affected by the events themselves.

I don't want to say how the story is told and how it unfolds, in case some of you haven't heard about the novel. I want it to remain a secret because it's something that's going to hit you hard if you don't know about it beforehand. I did know about it, but I'd forgotten, and I was quite blown away by the prospect of getting to read the whole novel.

^ That was what I've written at the time I was reading the book, meaning a few months ago. The book was very, very good all the way through. I think the narrative was genius and I liked how the author handled such a difficult topic. This is going on my recommended books -list as well, I would heartily recommend the book if you're interested in YA fiction! :)

5/5

Death in a Strange Country 

by Donna Leon 

kuolema_vieraalla_maalla-leon_donna-2089

From Amazon: Early one morning Guido Brunetti, Commissario of the Venice Police, confronts a grisly sight when the body of a young man is fished out of a fetid Venetian canal. All the clues point to a violent mugging, but for Brunetti, robbery seems altogether too convenient a motive. Then something very incriminating is discovered in the dead man's flat - something which points to the existence of a high-level cabal - and Brunetti becomes convinced that somebody, somewhere, is taking great pains to provide a ready-made solution to the crime ...

Thoughts: Um... I seem to remember a few things, but very vaguely. The previous Brunetti novel was definitely better than this, but I suppose I enjoyed this one too to some extent because I seem to have given it 3/5 at the time :D A very forgettable read, though. That's not to say I won't try the third novel in the series.

3/5

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee 

by Rebecca Miller 

0_-4921239760855899393.jpg?itok=C0-PEnGP

Translated and edited from the blurb in my Finnish library copy: Pippa Lee's life has taken different turns many times: first she was the daughter of a small town minister, then she moved into the city and led a very bohemian life, then she became a young mistress and now finally she is a cool and calm housewife. She now lives in Manhattan with her considerably older husband. Herb is an esteemed publisher, and Pippa puts together gorgeous dinner parties for their literary friends. Then one day Herb drops a bomb on her: he wants to move to live in a community for the elderly.

During the tranquil summer mornings Pippa starts to wonder how she has ended up in the middle of perfect freshly cut lawns and white health shoes. How did the headstrong young girl become a middle-aged woman who has mastered the Italian cuisine but is afraid to talk to her own daughter. Throughout her adult life she's tried to make amends and redeem herself but is she as happy as she claims to be? This is Rebecca Miller's debut novel.

Thoughts: I think the only reason I borrowed and read this book is that a few years ago I stumbled upon a copy and mixed it in my head with Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day :D I'd heard of the latter and when I saw a copy of TPLoPL, I thought I'd found it :D I don't remember when I noticed my mistake... It was before reading the book, though. 

I've had this interest in books about older people for a while now and I thought this novel would be right up my alley. It was readable, and especially the first part of the book was interesting but somehow the story fell a bit flat during the latter part. It was still an okay read. 

3/5

Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer 
by Hannes Råstam 

kuinkatehtiinsar.jpg

From Amazon

"Sweden's most suspenseful murder mystery may not be a fictional account from Stieg Larsson or Henning Mankell. It may end up being the true story of Thomas Quick."  —Wall Street Journal

"I wonder what you'd think of me if you found out that I've done something really serious."

So begin the confessions of Thomas Quick—Scandinavia's most notorious serial killer. In 1992, behind the barbed wire fence of a psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane, Thomas Quick confessed to the murder of an 11-year-old boy who had been missing for 12 years. Over the next nine years, Quick confessed to more than 30 unsolved murders, revealing he had maimed, raped, and eaten the remains of his victims. In the years that followed, a fearless investigative journalist called Hannes Råstam became obsessed with Quick's case. He studied the investigations in forensic detail. He scrutinized every interrogation, read and re-read the verdicts, watched the police reenactments, and tracked down the medical records and personal police logs—until finally he was faced with a horrifying uncertainty. In the spring of 2008, Råstam traveled to where Thomas Quick was serving a life sentence. He had one question for Sweden's most abominable serial killer, and the answer turned out to be far more terrifying than the man himself.

Thoughts: Some Finnish girl I've befriended on Goodreads based on her great taste in books had marked this as a read book, and that's how I got wind of it. For some reason I thought it was a novel  :doh:  Fortunately I like reading true crime books so I wasn't all too disappointed when my reserved copy arrived and I was able to pick it up from the library and found out it was non-fiction. 

What a harrowing read! I honestly couldn't believe some of the stuff I read in the book. I don't want to spoil anything in case someone wants to read the book and doesn't already know of Thomas Quick. I can only was I was pretty sickened by some of the things, and yet I was engrossed in the book. Recommended reading for true crime buffs!

Edit: When I was reading the book I just had to google some things related to the case, and I found out that Hannes Råstam was diagnosed with cancer when he was writing the book and he died rather soon after having been diagnosed. I can't remember if he was alive when the book was published. May he rest in peace, he did some great things in his life. 

5/5

Edited by frankie

Hi Frankie

So glad things seem to be going so well in Espoo! I'm really envious of your library system. Ours is average and I'm lucky because my local library is the biggest in the county.

I like the sound of the true crime book - onto the wish list! :D

I don't want to spoil anything in case someone wants to read the book and doesn't already know of Thomas Quick.

I had to look this up on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sture_Bergwall

Just read the opening. So, do you think he did it?

And onto my wishlist it goes.... :)

Which one is that then? *curious*  I suppose the Thomas Quick book because it's the latest and you didn't refer to any other one...? I guess I didn't know you read true crime books, too :) 

So glad things seem to be going so well in Espoo! I'm really envious of your library system. Ours is average and I'm lucky because my local library is the biggest in the county.

I like the sound of the true crime book - onto the wish list! :D

I honestly had no idea that the library systems in other countries aren't the same as in Finland, and up to par. It's only come to my knowledge by reading posts on here, and I'm really saddened that you guys have it worse in your respective countries. I'm really appreciative of the Finnish libraries :blush: 

I hope you like the Thomas Quick book when you get to it! :) 

I had to look this up on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sture_Bergwall

Just read the opening. So, do you think he did it?

I think

he didn't do any of the things he said he did. I mean the murders and such. 

Which one is that then? *curious*  I suppose the Thomas Quick book because it's the latest and you didn't refer to any other one...? I guess I didn't know you read true crime books, too :)

Ooh sorry.. yep! I've read a few in the past, and there's something rather intriguing in the synopsis and reviews.

Ooh sorry.. yep! I've read a few in the past, and there's something rather intriguing in the synopsis and reviews.

Great! I hope you like it :) I'd never heard of the man before, which I think is somewhat incredible because Finland usually follows the Swedish news very closely, at least compared to some other countries. I'm sure he's been on the Finnish news, I've just completely missed it. 

Interesting- I like True Crime too.  I think I'll add this TBR  :smile:

Cool! I hope you find a copy soon and shall like the book :) It'll be interesting to see if you'll agree with what I said in the spoiler or not :) 

Also, when you guys get to reading the book and if you're interested in the case, you can go on Youtube, there are some videos of the case and Thomas Quick. I couldn't resist searching for them, I wanted to see what he looks like and what he's like on video. 

Sweethearts 

by Sara Zarr 

2020935.jpg

From Amazon: As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend. 

When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken.

From the National Book Award nominated author of Story of a Girl, Sweethearts is a story about the power of memory, the bond of friendship, and the quiet resilience of our childhood hearts.

Thoughts: A random YA novel I came across on Goodreads recommendations section. My rating, 3/5, suggests that I liked the book but I can't remember a single thing that impressed me or made me interested in the novel. Of course I was interested to find out what had happened to Cameron and what would happen in the course of the novel, but I was a bit disappointed with the events. And I sort of remember the ending being a bit half assed :shrug: 

3/5