Poppyshake's Reading Year 2014

poppyshake

What a nice day today is!  :)

As well as my morning cuppa, the postman bought me some books (not that the postman bought me a cuppa  :giggle: ... we aren't on that good terms  :D) so whilst sipping away at my tea I was able to tear open my packages. It's never too early in the morning to start licking your books (BOOKS I said! :D)

Firstly a very BIG thank you to Hayley who sent me Ken Grimwood's Replay .. and the cutest doggy card you ever did see  :hug: I read the blurb again and it just sounds so fascinating  :smile: Alan also thinks he will like it .. which is more than can be said for my other books which he wasn't particularly interested in  :blush2: I was ... they all look amazing  :smile: 

post-5612-0-77169700-1389205115_thumb.jpg

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad you received Replay safely Kay, and I hope you and Alan both like it.  It was a very free flowing, fairly quick read, and I must admit when I reviewed my 2013 books read a couple of days ago I upped it from a 4/5 to a 5/5. The story has really stayed with me and I can still recall a lot of what happened which for me at least is unusual, and I am still thinking about what it would be like to be able to do what this character could do, and how would I handle it.  Steve will be so happy if you like it too! :D

Thanks Chrissy :) You too xx

You're very welcome Diane  .. I'll keep the teapot warmed for you :D   

Thanks Gaia  :smile:

I finished my first book of 2014 today .. always a relief to get the first one under your belt and to cross something off the TBR  :blush2: .. it's an encouragement anyway. However I did cave in and order a few books from Amazon  :smile2: Only four though which is far, far, less than usual at this time of year with money burning a hole in my pocket. Have decided to do something fairly practical with the rest of the money  :o .. like buy a much needed chest of drawers or a bookshelf or something. 

Books ordered are:

Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard - Ben Crystal - Yes, of course it was the title :giggle: ... there was no way I wasn't getting this once I saw it. I believe I do have a taste for the bard already but this will egg me on (haha) plus there's a pic of Shakespeare ON TOAST on the cover ... genius!  :D   

Congratulations for finishing your first book of 2014 :smile: . I also like the title 'Shakespeare on Toast' I hope it proves just as interesting, reading it.

I'm glad you received Replay safely Kay, and I hope you and Alan both like it.  It was a very free flowing, fairly quick read, and I must admit when I reviewed my 2013 books read a couple of days ago I upped it from a 4/5 to a 5/5. The story has really stayed with me and I can still recall a lot of what happened which for me at least is unusual, and I am still thinking about what it would be like to be able to do what this character could do, and how would I handle it.  Steve will be so happy if you like it too! :D

Dunno what you mean, I've never heard of this Replay thing :shrug:

:giggle2:

Shakespeare on Toast has been on my wish list for a while - I hope you enjoy it.   :)

Thanks Janet :hug: I've flicked it and it looks great :)

Your copy of On the Black Hill is much nicer than mine.  I'm the same colour as the book cover with envy!  :D

Well it is the inside that matters Janet (since when did I started believing in that? :D) I'm looking forward to this one in particular .. I'm almost sure I'll love it :)

I hope you enjoy Replay, Kay! A lot of us have really enjoyed the book so I hope you will too, and of course, all the other books too :).

Thanks Gaia :hug:I feel a responsibility to love it and not let the side down :D

I'm glad you received Replay safely Kay, and I hope you and Alan both like it.  It was a very free flowing, fairly quick read, and I must admit when I reviewed my 2013 books read a couple of days ago I upped it from a 4/5 to a 5/5. The story has really stayed with me and I can still recall a lot of what happened which for me at least is unusual, and I am still thinking about what it would be like to be able to do what this character could do, and how would I handle it.

The best stories are the ones that stay with you :) Thanks again Hayley :hug: 

Steve will be so happy if you like it too! :D

Is that supposed to be an incentive? :giggle2:  ;)  :D No .. I remember it was Steve's review that first piqued my interest but then a lot of people have been raving about it since so that's added insurance :D

Congratulations for finishing your first book of 2014 :smile: . I also like the title 'Shakespeare on Toast' I hope it proves just as interesting, reading it.

Thanks Karen :hug:Dame Judi Dench says that Shakespeare on Toast is brilliant and who am I to argue? .. she knows her stuff and she definitely knows her Shakespeare :) 

sistersbyariver.jpg
Sisters By a River by Barbara Comyns

Amazon's Synopsis: On the banks of the River Avon, five sisters are born. The seasons come and go, the girls take their lessons under the ash tree, and always there is the sound of water swirling through the weir. Then, unexpectedly, an air of decay descends upon the house: ivy grows unchecked over the windows, angry shouts split the summer air, the milk sours in the larder and their father takes out his gun. Tragedy strikes the family, and before long the furniture is being auctioned off and the sisters dispersed among relatives. In her daring first novel, originally published in 1947, Barbara Comyns' unique young heroine relates the vivid, funny and bittersweet story of a childhood.

Review: This is a fictionalised account of Barbara's childhood. It's difficult to say how much of it was drawn from life .. I wasn't really aware that it was semi-autobiographical until I read the intro (by Barbara Trapido) which I didn't do until the end (cos they blab too much :giggle:) Barbara (Comyns) wrote it as a means of solace during difficult times and as a memoir for her children to read (Lord!! it must have terrified them :D) She certainly didn't expect it to be published. Before it was, it was called The Novel Nobody Will Publish  :D I've read and enjoyed Barbara before (Our Spoons Came from Woolworths) and so knew I was in for something quirky. What I didn't bargain for was the spelling!! At first I thought (because she was recounting very early years) that it was supposed to be a child's spelling but then it became evident it wasn't. I still wonder why the publishers didn't correct it .. it's very off putting to begin with but actually I'm glad they didn't because, after a few pages, I forgot about it and funnily enough it did help to endear this wild, odd, strange, little girl (with all her wild, odd, strange, little sisters) to me. I started off thinking it was a bit affected but ended up feeling it was really honest.

I'll just put a badly spelt/punctuated toast quote in so you can see for yourself (this is Barbara talking about her Daddy going on his once monthly business visits to Birmingham) .. it's not one of the worst but it'll give you an idea.

'When he was at last ready, with his silver flask filled with brandy in case he was overcome by the journey, we all had to flock to the door to see him off, and until the carrage had disapeared from sight we had to say Good Luck, Good Luck and then go on saying more Good Lucks. Once I wouldn't say good Luck at all, just went on eating my toast and marmalaid, the grown-ups Granny in particular were horrorfied and I was smacked and locked in the bootroom, usually when I was locked up there I used to eat the galoches, but this time it was too soon after breakfast so I cried until I was sick, they had to let me out after that.'

The punctuation etc is pretty slapdash too .. though I probably didn't notice that as much :blush2:  

Daddy was a bit of a drunken beast. He and Barbara's Mammy (and Granny) would have terrible rows which often culminated in physical violence .. he was also terribly cruel to their pets (except for the spider monkey which he loved.) Mammy was deaf and a bit of a remote figure and Granny was an absolute killjoy. They seemed to constantly irritate each other to boiling point.

'I woke up and found she (Granny) wasn't in bed but walking up and down the room with her jaw all sticking out muttering to herself, she kept saying "I won't have it, I won't have it" I sat up in bed and said "what won't you have a jam tart" in my imagination I could see a criss cross raspberry one, but she said "Don't be so impertanant" so I didn't like to say anything else, but she kept marching up and down in her long white nighty and it got rather boring, I was almost asleep again, when there was a most frightful din in the room, Daddy, Mammy and Granny were all shouting and moping and mowing, then Mammy and Daddy started to push the poor old thing out of the window, Mammy got a bit frit and started to scream, but it was dreadful to see Daddy pushing and heaving away and Granny getting more and more out of the window, there were awful ghaspings and groanings going on from Granny and her flapping white nighty was all up at the back which seemed to make it worse somehow, Mammy looked quite sad, I guess she felt sorry for her when she was half in and half out like that, then she got stuck, it really was a mercy her hips were so wide and the window rather narrow...Granny did not appear till lunchtime, and everything seemed the same as usual then, her eyes were rather red maybe and she didn't talk quite as much as usual but she eat masses of chicken and it was only boiled, when Daddy said "Have a little more Nance" she handed up her plate quite happily.'

There are similarities to Nancy Mitford/Evelyn Waugh/Dodie Smith and Laurie Lee but the voice that comes through here is much more childlike. The similarities mostly lie with the eccentricity of the characters and the love of the local landscape. Barbara's style is to write observations down in a very 'matter of fact' type way .. regardless of whether they're serious, funny or horrific. After a very short while you get used to it and it weaves a sort of spell on you.

I do like reading about eccentric people and eccentric families in particular. It won't be for everyone though. Animal lovers in particular will have a hard time reading about the treatment Barbara's father, and their 'odious and cruel' gardener Palmer, meted out to the dogs and cats and the children were also unkind to insects. Not in an intentionally cruel way but in a children experimenting and left to their own devices type way. Barbara regretted this in hindsight.

I have another of her books on the wishlist ... Who Was Changed and Who Was Dead and just from the title .. I know I'm going to love it :D  

For the longest time I was thinking 'this is a 4/5 book .. it's a really absorbing read but I'm also slightly niggled' but then, as the book wound up, I realised I was loving it and not wanting it to end. 5/5 (and thanks again to Janet for sending me a voucher to spend :hug: and thanks to me for knowing what I like :smile2:)

Edited by poppyshake

You're welcome - I'm glad you found a book you loved.   :D  Again, sorry for the cop-out with the voucher - I thought of something recently I could have bought - it might do for Christmas 2014!  Good Lord, I can't be thinking about Christmas already, can I...?!  :giggle2:

I have a few of her books on my wish list.  I might see if the library has any.  :)

You're welcome - I'm glad you found a book you loved.   :D  Again, sorry for the cop-out with the voucher - I thought of something recently I could have bought - it might do for Christmas 2014!  Good Lord, I can't be thinking about Christmas already, can I...?!  :giggle2:

I have a few of her books on my wish list.  I might see if the library has any.  :)

It's not a cop-out at all .. who doesn't love being in a bookshop with a voucher? :friends0: It's a real treat :smile: 

Goodness, are you thinking about Christmas already Janet? .. that is organised :D 

She is a bit of an acquired taste but hopefully you'll like her. You're most welcome to borrow this one (or Our Spoons Came from Woolworths) .. just give me a yell :smile: 

That's a really interesting review :)! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I don't know if it'd be for me, I find it difficult when things are wrongly spelled and don't do well with animal cruelty, but the premise sounds good though.

Kay

Really interesting book review . I just put the same 2 books on my reserve list at the library . :)

Thanks Julie :) As always I hope they prove to be your cup of tea :D I know you like reading about odd folk just as much as me :D

That's a really interesting review :)! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I don't know if it'd be for me, I find it difficult when things are wrongly spelled and don't do well with animal cruelty, but the premise sounds good though.

Probably best avoided then Gaia. I'm not the world's best speller and I'm probably among the world's worst punctuators so it probably irritated me less than it would others (probably didn't even notice all of it .. especially the punctuation :blush2:) Having said that, her sentences do tend to run into each other (she should have used ellipses :D) which can get a bit confusing. I believe Barbara says her poor spelling etc was because her mother was deaf .. not quite sure how that works (because the girls did have governesses) but that's what she believed anyway. The animal cruelty is difficult to read about but sadly it was part of their lives. The girls never set out to be cruel to insects .. often they thought they were helping them but, in hindsight, Barbara can see that it was cruel  :( Far worse to read about is her father's attitude towards the dogs and the gardener's attitude to many of the pets especially the kittens :( .. and yet he cried when his greenhouse was trashed (I cannot understand how someone could be so attached to plants yet want to harm animals :confused:)

Probably best avoided then Gaia. I'm not the world's best speller and I'm probably among the world's worst punctuators so it probably irritated me less than it would others (probably didn't even notice all of it .. especially the punctuation :blush2:) Having said that, her sentences do tend to run into each other (she should have used ellipses :D) which can get a bit confusing. I believe Barbara says her poor spelling etc was because her mother was deaf .. not quite sure how that works (because the girls did have governesses) but that's what she believed anyway. The animal cruelty is difficult to read about but sadly it was part of their lives. The girls never set out to be cruel to insects .. often they thought they were helping them but, in hindsight, Barbara can see that it was cruel  :( Far worse to read about is her father's attitude towards the dogs and the gardener's attitude to many of the pets especially the kittens :( .. and yet he cried when his greenhouse was trashed (I cannot understand how someone could be so attached to plants yet want to harm animals :confused:)

x

Thanks for the elaboration :). No, I don't understand either why someone would be so attached to plants and yet is so cruel to animals.

bonkers.jpg
Bonkers: My Life in Laughs - Jennifer Saunders

Amazon's Synopsis
: Jennifer Saunders' comic creations have brought joy to millions. From Comic Strip to Comic Relief, from Bolly-swilling Edina in Ab Fab to her takes on Madonna or Mamma Mia, her characters are household names. But it's Jennifer herself who has a place in all our hearts. This is her funny, moving and frankly bonkers memoir, filled with laughter, friends and occasional heartache - but never misery. BONKERS is full of riotous adventures: accidentally enrolling on a teacher training course with a young Dawn French, bluffing her way to each BBC series, shooting Lulu, trading wild faxes with Joanna Lumley, touring India with Ruby Wax and Goldie Hawn.

Review: Very well written, warm and very funny as you might expect. Having read Dawn French's Dear Fatty, I already knew quite a bit about how French & Saunders came to be etc but Jennifer has lots of other writing and acting credits to her name so it was good to read all about those, particularly Ab Fab. Most of her story is very upbeat .. she's at pains to point out that this is in no way a mis mem but she does talk about the diagnosis of, and subsequent treatment she underwent for, breast cancer. Somehow she still keeps the tone light though .. I think she's an extremely positive person (though rather shockingly, the news didn't break until Jennifer was well on the road to recovery and she made a statement saying she was cancer free .. only to receive angry letters from people saying she wasn't cancer free .. she was in remission .. and it was irresponsible of her to say otherwise!! :o!)

It comes as no surprise to learn that Jennifer dearly loves a laugh, and most of her friends and family share the same humour so there are lots of funny anecdotes and incidents recounted. The faxes sent between Jen and Joanna Lumley are hilarious and the story all about the film script that Jen and Ruby Wax were asked to write for Goldie Hawn made me laugh (and cringe) loads. She does ramble on and get sidetracked (not in a boring way in an extremely funny way) and she does rant occasionally which always makes me laugh.

'It took quite a long while to persuade Dawn to the mobile and I have never been able to persuade her to the computer. She doesn't use one. You can't email Dawn French off the teleovision. She is untouched by Google, Facebook and Twitter. I envy her that. My computer is the friend who knows I have to work but tries to tempt me to bunk off. It's the girl sitting next to me in class that puts her desk lid up and is trying to distract me with pictures of David Cassidy. Stop it, computer! I know there are funny things on YouTube with kittens, and I know you have solitaire. And sudoku. And Angry Birds. But I have to work! I have to do this thing. Leave me alone, or I will be forced to go back to the typewriter. This at least cuts out the printing stage. Printers who refuse to print and won't let you know their name. Printers who can't come online and run out of ink, even when there is ink in them. You know there's ink in them because you bought that ink, and it cost more than caviar. It has a cartridge of beluga fitted and it still refuses to print anything but light grey, so you end up just hitting it and hating it as it takes four sheets of paper through at a time and then gets jammed. Yes, I might go back to the typewriter.'

I listened to it being read by Jennifer and that always adds something I think. If she normally makes you laugh then chances are you'll love this. 4/5

beyondthegreatindoors.jpg
Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjørnsen

Amazon's Synopsis: Elling has a wildly overactive imagination and has been molly-coddled by his mother all his life, so when she dies he is left completely incapable of taking care of himself. After a stint in the very helpful Broynes Rehabilitation Centre, Elling returns to Oslo with his room-mate Kjell Bjarne in tow. Together the odd couple embark on a free-spirited new life.On a quest to live like normal average people, Elling and Kjell's friendship grows - kittens, girlfriends and terrorist poetry enter the equation - even fame beckons. But there are fears to conquer before that, answering the telephone for one, leaving the house for another and the journey outdoors is by no means an easy one. A touching and hiliarious comedy of anxiety from Norway's biggest talent, Beyond the Great Indoors rejoices in the simplest pleasures of life and reminds us of the importance of conquering our everyday fears.

Review: Firstly a big thank you to frankie for sending me this :hug: ... I haven't laughed at a story so much in ages. I hardly ever lol at books but this one had me in hysterics. I am a bit of a nervous Nelly so a lot of their anxieties were familiar to me .. Elling's in particular .. strangers, crowds, open spaces and queues all bring me out in a cold sweat too so I extra empathised with them but it would be impossible actually to feel anything but sympathy and goodwill towards them .. you just hope that the world will be kind and accepting. One of the first things they want to do is get a kitten .. this will demonstrate how far they've come on .. to be able to look after something other than themselves. They end up with two but getting them back home (a trip which involves using the metro) is fraught with anxiety .. leading them to worry that they may have killed the poor mites even before they've reached home. Mercifully the kittens survive the journey (which is no surprise as the worst they had to put up with was a few insults from some horrible kids and a bit of jostling in their cat carriers) and it's not long before they're climbing the curtains, sticking their noses into everything, pooing in inconvenient places and curling up to sleep in the cake tin  :011:  

Both Elling and Kjell are looking for love or some sort of relationship anyway (or possibly just sex :D) which leads to some deliciously awkward moments. One incident where Kjell asks to borrow Elling's underpants .. the ones he is wearing that is :o .. just creased me up for ages :giggle: Elling fancies himself a poet and hides poems in supermarkets for unsuspecting shoppers to find. It gives him a light to focus on .. the day when the identity of the anonymous sauerkraut poet is revealed to a trumpet fanfare of adulation. All the time you're laughing but you're also worrying that any of their .. slightly odd .. exploits will lead them back to the rehabilitation centre. The friendship between Elling and Kjell is excellently explored .. they're different but they're fighting the same battles and the bond between them is strong and steadfast.

It's a book to make you feel good and laugh lots .. it's very warm hearted and endearing and I'll be recommending it forever I think :smile: 5/5

Edited by poppyshake