Poppyshake's Reading Year 2014

poppyshake

Happy Reading this year Kay.

Thanks Chrissy :) You too xx

Look forward to popping in past for a browse and a cuppa

You're very welcome Diane  .. I'll keep the teapot warmed for you :D   

I hope you enjoy your new books!

Thanks Gaia  :smile:

I finished my first book of 2014 today .. always a relief to get the first one under your belt and to cross something off the TBR  :blush2: .. it's an encouragement anyway. However I did cave in and order a few books from Amazon  :smile2: Only four though which is far, far, less than usual at this time of year with money burning a hole in my pocket. Have decided to do something fairly practical with the rest of the money  :o .. like buy a much needed chest of drawers or a bookshelf or something. 

Books ordered are:

Kilvert's Diary - Francis Kilvert (edited by William Plomer) - Read an extract in Round the Christmas Fire and really enjoyed it .. then I saw the cover  :wub: (not that that had any bearing whatsoever  :giggle:)

On the Black Hill - Bruce Chatwin - Heard great things about it and it's part of the County Challenge. 

The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag - Alan Bradley - Really enjoyed the first of this series (Flavia de Luce) and bought another this week but found I had got the third instead of the second ... this then was an essential buy.

Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard - Ben Crystal - Yes, of course it was the title :giggle: ... there was no way I wasn't getting this once I saw it. I believe I do have a taste for the bard already but this will egg me on (haha) plus there's a pic of Shakespeare ON TOAST on the cover ... genius!  :D   

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hee, now I feel better about caving in and buying one book - only one book. ;)

Enjoy your new reads ! :D

Thanks LP  :smile: We are all being positively abstemious in our book buying  :D There are at least a hundred books I want to own/read/lick so to have only bought six so far is truly virtuous. People will be shocked when I write and tell them that I haven't bought books with their Christmas money (and I won't be able to get away with that old photocopied letter either ;)  :D) .. a lot of them think that reading books is a humongous waste of time and so will be extremely proud of me for not squandering their money.  They may even send more next time (haha .. I'll definitely be back on the books by then  :D)

Thanks LP  :smile: We are all being positively abstemious in our book buying  :D There are at least a hundred books I want to own/read/lick so to have only bought six so far is truly virtuous. People will be shocked when I write and tell them that I haven't bought books with their Christmas money (and I won't be able to get away with that old photocopied letter either ;)  :D) .. a lot of them think that reading books is a humongous waste of time and so will be extremely proud of me for not squandering their money.  They may even send more next time (haha .. I'll definitely be back on the books by then  :D)

Erm, photocopied latter ? Dare I ask ? :giggle2:

Ah, one of my favorite logs :smile2: I'm demanding a good seat! But poppyshake... if you are sitting comfortably in my log, and I'm sitting in yours... Who will do the reviews and updates? LOL! I think we need to think this through.

Please feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish (to limit the potential for RSI just use copy & paste) and to point out all the times I went against my own resolution of not buying a book based on its cover.

I had to google... Are you talking about Roberts Space Industries, relative strength index or repetitive strain injury? =D

Comments on TBR:

Burnett, Frances Hodgson - The Secret Garden
This is a wonderful book! I had no high expectations for it, so I was so pleasantly surprised.

Byatt, AS - Possession
I think I'm going to wait till you tackle this and tell me if it's worth it, and not go into it on my own before that...  =P

Divry, Sophie - The Diary of Unrequited Love
You have a copy of this? Ooooh! I hope it's good. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, I hope it's good!

Lindgren, Astrid - Karlson on the Roof
I loved this! It's so going on my frankie recommends list when I get to updating it...

Norton, Juster - The Phantom Tollbooth
You'd make Kylie very happy if you read this soonish... !

Oksanen, Sofi - Purge
You know, last year I started to wonder if I'd sent you a copy and took a look at your TBR and it wasn't there... So I thought it must've been my imagination. Even though I was so sure I'd sent it to you!

Waters, Sarah - Fingersmith
I really hope you like this one!

Books I'd like to lick own 

Kennedy Toole, John - A Confederacy of Dunces´

I can't wait till you have a copy of this and lick it... I can't wait to hear what it tastes like :D It's such an odd book...

When writing up my books TBR in 2013 I came to the figure of 130 .. since doing an 'infantry' (a howler of epic proportions but it was a mammoth task so not wholly inaccurate ) I realised that the figure is much nearer to 250. It would be entirely reasonable for my husband to confiscate my purse and lock me in the attic (where most of the TBR's are) until I have at least got the figure down below 100  .. thank God he relies on me to make his sandwiches for work. ´

The infantry... :giggle: I'll never forget that! =D

Lock you in the attic? This makes me think of a certain someone in Jane Eyre. I wonder if she was also just a book crazed person... Surely she only wanted more books to read??

I received a book prezzie from frankie today. It is the marvellously titled Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar. The blurb says it's 'arrestingly eccentric' so straightaway I know it'll be right up my alley :D Thank you dear frankie .. I'm looking forward to it already

You are mighty welcome! I really hope you like it, but like I've said before, no pressure, and feel free to hate it =D

I love it that you've already acquired a load of books ... :giggle: I have to say I don't think I know any of them, but I hope they are brilliant reads :)

Happy reading in 2014, Kay! :friends3:

Ah, one of my favorite logs. I'm demanding a good seat! But poppyshake... if you are sitting comfortably in my log, and I'm sitting in yours... Who will do the reviews and updates? LOL! I think we need to think this through.

I'm happy for you to do all my reviews whilst you're sitting here .. I've just read Dear Lumpy .. tell us what you thought of it? =D Yours is the lovely squashy armchair with the big chocolate labrador underneath .. that is he is chocolate coloured .. not made of =D 

I had to google... Are you talking about Roberts Space Industries, relative strength index or repetitive strain injury? =D

Roberts Space Industries of course =D 

Comments on TBR:

Burnett, Frances Hodgson - The Secret Garden

This is a wonderful book! I had no high expectations for it, so I was so pleasantly surprised.

My Mum always says it's her fave book .. which could be viewed as a great recommendation .. or a rubbish one  :giggle: 

Byatt, AS - Possession

I think I'm going to wait till you tackle this and tell me if it's worth it, and not go into it on my own before that...  =P

Thanks =D From all I've heard it is worth it .. but there it is still sitting unread on the shelf after all these years .. I think it needs to actually throw itself in front of me  :blush2: (it worked for Alan  :giggle2:

Divry, Sophie - The Diary of Unrequited Love

You have a copy of this? Ooooh! I hope it's good. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, I hope it's good!

The reviews aren't brilliant but as soon as I saw it I knew we were destined to be together  :giggle: Great cover and great subject  :smile: 

Lindgren, Astrid - Karlson on the Roof

I loved this! It's so going on my frankie recommends list when I get to updating it...

Ooh .. a bigger frankie list .. I should've saved you an extra space  :D Ahh but I remember now .. you're not averse to relegating them.

Norton, Juster - The Phantom Tollbooth

You'd make Kylie very happy if you read this soonish... !

I know, I know  :blush2: I feel bad as I started it last January  :o All sorts of sh*t happened and I put it to one side ... I need to pick it up again and banish all thoughts of sh*t happening again. I made it through A Fraction of the Whole perfectly well so the same can be done here. 

Oksanen, Sofi - Purge

You know, last year I started to wonder if I'd sent you a copy and took a look at your TBR and it wasn't there... So I thought it must've been my imagination. Even though I was so sure I'd sent it to you!

Reading what you had to say .. and what other people have had to say .. I am just the teensiest bit scared of it  :hide: I will of course get around to it but am girding up my loins first (will have to watch a YouTube tutorial on loin girding =D) Since reading Enid I've never strayed more than a few steps away but it would do me good to shake up my reading habits. I am curious actually to see how I'll fare (you'll pay for the rehab .. yes? =D  ;)) 

Waters, Sarah - Fingersmith

I really hope you like this one!

I think I will .. I like what I've read of hers so far.

A Confederacy of Dunces

I can't wait till you have a copy of this and lick it... I can't wait to hear what it tastes like. It's such an odd book...

Good .. I do like licking odd books .. one gets bored of them all tasting the same :D

The infantry... :giggle: I'll never forget that! =D

:blush2: Neither will I =D I've obviously got militia on the brain .. like Mrs Bennett =D

Lock you in the attic? This makes me think of a certain someone in Jane Eyre. I wonder if she was also just a book crazed person... Surely she only wanted more books to read??

Alan actually calls me Bertha quite a lot  :blush2: I think you're probably right ... a subscription to the circulating library was all she needed =D

You are mighty welcome! I really hope you like it, but like I've said before, no pressure, and feel free to hate it =D

I'm sure I shall like it .. I love the blurb .. the story sounds so up my street  :smile: 

I love it that you've already acquired a load of books ... I have to say I don't think I know any of them, but I hope they are brilliant reads.

I hope so too ... how terrible to be a rubbish chooser of books .. there must be at least one gem or I'll never have the courage to go book buying again  ;) 

Happy reading in 2014, Kay! :friends3:

You too my lovely  :hug:

Erm, photocopied latter ? Dare I ask ? :giggle2:

:DI was only joking. Even my auntie who knitted me a jumper to fit a ten year old gets a proper handwritten letter :D I think I probably should have added a photo but the shock might finish her off  :blush2:  

I'm happy for you to do all my reviews whilst you're sitting here .. I've just read Dear Lumpy .. tell us what you thought of it? =D Yours is the lovely squashy armchair with the big chocolate labrador underneath .. that is he is chocolate coloured .. not made of =D 

Um Dear Lumpy... Well the Lumpy was dear... until a girl named Kay came over and licked it... And then Lumpy got smaller in size. End of. :D

My Mum always says it's her fave book .. which could be viewed as a great recommendation .. or a rubbish one 

Surely your Mom doesn't have such an odd taste for you to think the book might be rubbish! :D

Thanks =D From all I've heard it is worth it .. but there it is still sitting unread on the shelf after all these years .. I think it needs to actually throw itself in front of me  (it worked for Alan ) 

It is a tad bit intimidating, isn't it... I started reading it a few years ago and loved the style and language, but it was a bit too much for me, at least at that time... But I'm going to read it at some point! Maybe I need to tell Alan to throw it at you... But I hope he remembers to give you a quick heads up! :D

The reviews aren't brilliant but as soon as I saw it I knew we were destined to be together  Great cover and great subject 

It does have a beautiful cover, doesn't it? And the blurb... Brilliance. Added bonus: it's a French book!

Ooh .. a bigger frankie list .. I should've saved you an extra space  Ahh but I remember now .. you're not averse to relegating them.

:D Be warned: the next time I might not delete any of the titles, because I don't want to bring you or Kylie down ever again... :D

I know, I know.  I feel bad as I started it last JanuaryAll sorts of sh*t happened and I put it to one side ... I need to pick it up again and banish all thoughts of sh*t happening again. I made it through A Fraction of the Whole perfectly well so the same can be done here. 

Don't worry, I'm not blaming you. I've started the book twice! :blush: And it was really, really good, but something always came in the way... I know it's a brilliant read when I finally get down to reading and finishing it! Brilliant writing :)

Reading what you had to say .. and what other people have had to say .. I am just the teensiest bit scared of it . I will of course get around to it but am girding up my loins first (will have to watch a YouTube tutorial on loin girding =D) Since reading Enid I've never strayed more than a few steps away but it would do me good to shake up my reading habits. I am curious actually to see how I'll fare (you'll pay for the rehab .. yes? =D  ) 

This worries me! :o What is it that made you the teensiest bit scared of the book? Because I found it really great. And readable, too! Is it the history thing? You not being all that familiar with the Finnish and the Estonian history? Because that's all I can think of, that might intimidate you....

You have to realise that I've always sucked at history. Honestly I have. I'm terrible at it! And even I made sense of the book... Yes, I do have the advantage of knowing more about the Finnish and Estonian history than you, perhaps, but there really isn't all that much to know.

The only tips you need when going into the book: Russia (or was it the Soviet Union at the time... See how bad I am at history?? LOL!) was naughty naughty back in the day towards some countries, and Finland and Estonia used to be under the rule of Russia. Us Finns and them Estonians didn't much appreciate it. Finland became independent in 1917 but we had to fight the Russians a few decades later to maintain our independence. And Estonians became independent finally in 1991.

And I think with that information you are good to go!

Good .. I do like licking odd books .. one gets bored of them all tasting the same

I don't know what this might taste like... I think perhaps of woolly, awful hats :D Because all I can think of is the odd hat... Much like the kinds on the cover of the Ambjørnsen book I sent you :D

Neither will I =D I've obviously got militia on the brain .. like Mrs Bennett =D

:D :D Oh Mrs Bennet!

Hm... I think I might go book shopping tomorrow, and then pretend to have become overwhelmed by all the new books... Could you then please send the militia over? :blush:

Alan actually calls me Bertha quite a lot. I think you're probably right ... a subscription to the circulating library was all she needed =D

I now have this scene playing in my head... You going K-boom and him getting all frightened, then nipping into the close by bookstore, coming back with a few select titles, opening the door, staying outside in the safety, waving the books through the tiny crack in the door... :D

I'm sure I shall like it .. I love the blurb .. the story sounds so up my street

I now feel like re-reading the book myself! If you like it, you must see the movie :)

I hope so too ... how terrible to be a rubbish chooser of books .. there must be at least one gem or I'll never have the courage to go book buying again

As if you could choose crappy books... :D

:DI was only joking. Even my auntie who knitted me a jumper to fit a ten year old gets a proper handwritten letter :D I think I probably should have added a photo but the shock might finish her off  :blush2:  

Ah, I get it now. :D

Was the jumper for you and not for a teddy ? ;)

Um Dear Lumpy... Well the Lumpy was dear... until a girl named Kay came over and licked it... And then Lumpy got smaller in size. End of.

Perfect .. I needn't worry about it now :D

Surely your Mom doesn't have such an odd taste for you to think the book might be rubbish!

She's not much of a reader .. though she is getting into it these days. She read both Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies last year and got so into them that she bought a biography on Thomas Cromwell but was then disappointed because she had quite liked the man Mantel had written about but hated the one in the biog :D 

It is a tad bit intimidating, isn't it... I started reading it a few years ago and loved the style and language, but it was a bit too much for me, at least at that time... But I'm going to read it at some point! Maybe I need to tell Alan to throw it at you... But I hope he remembers to give you a quick heads up!

No!! :o Don't give him a legitimate reason to chuck stuff at me  :hide:  :D I think I will like it once involved. Last time though ... with a different book of hers .. I had to make notes about the characters as I lost track of them very early on (and there were hundreds of them .. well a few anyway  :blush2:)

It does have a beautiful cover, doesn't it? And the blurb... Brilliance. Added bonus: it's a French book!

:smile:I am liking it whatever ... would have to be pants for me to send it off to the charity shop. I seem to have a different rule for books about books/libraries/bookshops/toast etc then I do for books about anything else .. and a different rule for books with nice covers. I read one once called The Lost Dog ... beautiful cover but I didn't really get on with the story. Book is still on the shelf though .. pride of place actually .. owing to it's brilliant cover and beautiful spine  :blush2: 

Be warned: the next time I might not delete any of the titles, because I don't want to bring you or Kylie down ever again...

I am both happy and relieved to hear it .. they've earned their place and so should stay there  :smile: 

Arggghhhhh!!!! I HAVE NOT used too many emoticons!! Imo I haven't used nearly enough!! =D =D =D

Is this not a beautiful cover?  :wub: I could never part with it  :blush2:

What a co-incidence though .. it has a quote from A.S. Byatt on the front saying it's the best book she's ever read for a long time   :o Really? .. poor thing  :D 

Perhaps I would get along with it better now? Oh well if it can wait until I've read the 200 odd books on my TBR .. I might stick my nose into it again  :D I still get pleasure from looking at the cover so the money was well spent  :blush2: 

post-5612-0-51830000-1389109139_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, I'm not blaming you. I've started the book twice! And it was really, really good, but something always came in the way... I know it's a brilliant read when I finally get down to reading and finishing it! Brilliant writing.

Yes .. I think I got halfway .. perhaps a bit further but I know I'll have to start again as it's one of those books where getting involved in the story is everything  .. so much clever wordplay etc .. I think I'd be lost if I attempted to re-start it from the middle  :confused:  

This worries me! What is it that made you the teensiest bit scared of the book? Because I found it really great. And readable, too! Is it the history thing? You not being all that familiar with the Finnish and the Estonian history? Because that's all I can think of, that might intimidate you....

No .. it's not the history thing at all. It's the .. as one reviewer put it ... 'stomach churning scenes'  :hide: I am a little bit of a scaredy cat as don't really read crime or any books with graphic scenes (Agatha doesn't really do graphic  :D) .. though usually I'm fine with it if it turns up in a story that's already grasped me so to speak .. so I imagine that will be the case here. My imagination is such that even Mrs Danvers creeping about talking about Rebecca's underclothes is enough to keep me awake for a week  :giggle: 

You have to realise that I've always sucked at history. Honestly I have. I'm terrible at it! And even I made sense of the book... Yes, I do have the advantage of knowing more about the Finnish and Estonian history than you, perhaps, but there really isn't all that much to know.

I will be sure to come to you if I'm bamboozled by any of the history parts  :blush2:  

The only tips you need when going into the book: Russia (or was it the Soviet Union at the time... See how bad I am at history?? LOL!) was naughty naughty back in the day towards some countries, and Finland and Estonia used to be under the rule of Russia. Us Finns and them Estonians didn't much appreciate it. Finland became independent in 1917 but we had to fight the Russians a few decades later to maintain our independence. And Estonians became independent finally in 1991.

Naughty Russia!!  :D Yes .. now this is something I learned from your Christmas letter .. I had no idea beforehand I'm ashamed to say  :smile2: (I'll leave this emoticon in .. even if they tell me to start deleting .. as it perfectly sums up the strength of my embarrassment.)

Woohoo!!  :boogie:  ... could you help me with any of the other 243 titles?  :D 

I don't know what this might taste like... I think perhaps of woolly, awful hats. Because all I can think of is the odd hat... Much like the kinds on the cover of the Ambjørnsen book I sent you.

:D I've never tasted woolly hat .. probably tastes a bit like lamb!

Hm... I think I might go book shopping tomorrow, and then pretend to have become overwhelmed by all the new books... Could you then please send the militia over?

They're on their way .. and wearing their delicious red coats :D 

I now have this scene playing in my head... You going K-boom and him getting all frightened, then nipping into the close by bookstore, coming back with a few select titles, opening the door, staying outside in the safety, waving the books through the tiny crack in the door...

:D Possibly he should get a letterbox fitted to that attic door ... so that he can post books and toast from a safe distance  :D 

I now feel like re-reading the book myself! If you like it, you must see the movie

I love watching movie adaptations of books .. I have a shelf devoted to them. Sadly they're not all good .. but this one has excellent reviews (and one heads up from you so must be good :)

As if you could choose crappy books...

I did choose Carter Beats the Devil  :giggle2:  ;)  :blush2:

Great review of Lighthousekeeping Kay, i read it last year & although i remember that i enjoyed it i can't remember anything about it at all  :o I'm impressed with the amount of books you've read for the counties challenge, all i've managed so far is A Christmas Carol, so i shall have to buck up my ideas  :blush2:

Hope you have a great 2014 Kay  :friends3:

You too Samantha  :hug:

Lighthousekeeping is a strange one .. I enjoyed it too though have only the faintest grip on the storyline now (and only read it last month  :blush2:)

I probably argued very robustly for the titles I'd already read in the counties challenge  :giggle: Most of them I read a while ago so they will need re-reading ..  once I've read the unread  :D  Good luck with your reading this year and the counties challenge in particular  :smile:   

dearlumpy.jpg
Dear Lumpy: Letters to a Disobedient Daughter by Roger and Louise Mortimer

Amazon's Synopsis: 'Dearest Lumpy, I hope you are plump and well. Your mother bashed her car yesterday and chooses to believe it was not her fault.' Roger Mortimer's witty dressing-downs and affectionate advice were not only directed at his wayward son, Lupin. Though better behaved than her mischievous older brother, Louise (aka 'Lumpy') still caused her father to reach for his typewriter.The trials and tribulations of Louise's days at boarding school, her eventful wedding to Hot-Hand-Henry and the birth of his grandchildren are all accompanied by a sometimes chiding, but always loving letter. Between these milestones, Roger gives updates on the family, pets and the local gossip, holds forth on the weather, road safety, and even suggests the best way to make a gravy soup, all in his own inimitable style.With the same unique charm and often snort-inducing humour that made Dear Lupin a bestseller, Roger Mortimer guides and supports his daughter through every scrape she found herself in. Hilarious and instantly familiar, Dear Lumpy is a perfect example of the glorious art of letter writing, and the timeless relationship between father and daughter.

Review: Hoorah!! my first book of 2014!  :boogie:Having read Dear Lupin and .. for the most part .. enjoyed it .. I was happy to read this collection sent to Lupin's (Charles's) sister Lumpy (Louise). Roger's views can be a little non PC (though never nasty) but it was far less apparent here than it was in Dear Lupin (or maybe I've just got used to his style) and he doesn't hector Louise half so much which is probably because she wasn't giving him any reasons to (despite the title.) His letters are hilariously irreverent. He writes mostly to entertain and so fills his missives with all sorts of amusing news concerning family members, friends and pets (you will know far more about the bowel movements of the canine branch of the Mortimer family than can ever be thought desirable .. 'Pongo's inside is in poorish order and his output of really appalling smells has been increased to an almost unbearable level' :blush2: 

As in the last collection of letters, the children are kept abreast with their mother's (Nidnod) latest exploits .. 'Nidnod is no barmier than usual but just carries on doing and saying the most extraordinary things. She had a drink with the Gaselees on Sunday and dropped a cigarette on their best sofa, burning a hole in the cover. Some French people were there who talked faultless English. Nidnod insisted on addressing them in a series of weird sounds that she imagined had some connection with the French language. Needless to say no one could understand what she was getting at and I was covered with mortification and confusion.' He also likes to add tidbits from the local newspaper especially loving murder and intrigue of any kind and recollects all sorts of stuff from days gone by about potty old army colleagues and drunk parlour maids. As in Dear Lupin you never get to see Louise's replies though she does add little comments to the end of each letter.

I think the Mortimer children were remarkably lucky to have received such newsy and loving letters so regularly from their father ... he is an almost merciless leg puller but there's such goodwill and love enclosed too. I do believe there is another collection now sent to his eldest daughter Jane (once married to the writer Paul Torday .. who is not exempt from the leg pulling.) Whether you enjoy them or not will very much depend on whether you share Roger's sense of humour. 4/5

Edited by poppyshake

frankie wrote:  This worries me! :o What is it that made you the teensiest bit scared of the book? Because I found it really great. And readable, too! Is it the history thing? You not being all that familiar with the Finnish and the Estonian history? Because that's all I can think of, that might intimidate you....

Kay, don't worry about the history angle.  I couldn't make up my mind about rating it a 3 or 4 stars, finally came down on the side,  of 3.5.  :D  However, I can't totally blame my unfamiliarity with Estonian history.  That was a part, I believe.  I "got" who was persecuting whom.  First the Nazis, then the Communists, then their own people it seems.  I think I just wanted more.  And I can't even articulate what that "more" would have consisted of.  I know that if I see anymore of her books, I'll be interested in reading them. 

As an aside, everytime I type "frankie" including this time, the bloody auto-check-something "fixes" it with a capital F.  then I backspace to put the small f in......and have a wiggly red line underneath it.  GGGGRRRRRRRR!  Bah Humbug!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. :banghead:   :angel_not:

I'm getting more and more intrigued by this book :lol:

I know a copy you can have  :D (oh imagine his face when he leans over to pluck it from the shelf in order to recommend it to his latest victim .. only to find a space where it once was  :giggle:)

Kay, don't worry about the history angle.  I couldn't make up my mind about rating it a 3 or 4 stars, finally came down on the side,  of 3.5.  :D  However, I can't totally blame my unfamiliarity with Estonian history.  That was a part, I believe.  I "got" who was persecuting whom.  First the Nazis, then the Communists, then their own people it seems.  I think I just wanted more.  And I can't even articulate what that "more" would have consisted of.  I know that if I see anymore of her books, I'll be interested in reading them. 

I think I'll be okay with the history aspect Kate .. though thanks for the reassurance :) It's just that I heard there were one or two disturbing scenes in it ... and I am pretty disturbed as it is  :hide:  :blush2: