Poppyshake's Reading Year 2014

poppyshake

I'm sure I remember watching a film version of Pippi Longstocking but I can't find one on IMDB that looks familiar, and I'm also sure I read some books when I was very young, but I honestly can't remember them at all.  I will, however, be looking to read this one myself now! :D (Especially if it comes with a lovely coffee and a cake like in the picture! :giggle2:)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

captaincorelli.jpg

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres

Synopsis: It is 1941 and Captain Antonio Corelli, a young Italian officer, is posted to the Greek island of Cephallonia as part of the occupying forces. At first he is ostracised by the locals, but as a conscientious but far from fanatical soldier, whose main aim is to have a peaceful war, he proves in time to be civilised, humorous - and a consumate musician. When the local doctor's daughter's letters to her fiancé - and members of the underground - go unanswered, the working of the eternal triangle seems inevitable. But can this fragile love survive as a war of bestial savagery gets closer and the lines are drawn between invader and defender?

Review: This book seems to divide opinion with readers usually falling into the love or hate camp. I think I fell somewhere in the middle though loving it a bit more than hating it. I would have been happier to have spent the whole book in the company of Pelagia, the doctor's daughter. When the plot moved elsewhere I found it dragged and was impatient to be back with her though those chapters .. in the company of Guercio .. were incredibly moving. It was too long as well .. far too long .. and it moved at a snail's pace too at times. Plus I found the ending frustrating and thought it was a poor reward for clinging on for 430 pages. I thought my head would explode :D I like everything I've read of Louis' so far .. I really like his humour and he reminds me so much of Garcia Marquez .. in a good way (not that there is a bad way .. as far as I'm concerned.) Pelagia is about as feisty a heroine as you're likely to find in any book .. maddeningly stubborn but loyal and with spirit. I thought she deserved a better outcome but a lot of people love the ending in particular and one can't have tailor made endings .. or that snowman would never have melted and then what would we learn?  :D* 4/5

* Interesting aside .. or I thought so anyway ... I was watching The Snowman with my great niece Rosie (who's five) at Christmas and she asked why he was sad when looking at the box of fish fingers or whatever it was in the freezer .. and I said .. because of the pic on the box .. he was homesick .. and she asked what homesick was .. and I said it's missing home. Then he flew off (sorry if this is plot spoiling :D) and I said .. see .. he's going home now to see his friends and she said how can he be going home .. the little boy only made him five mins ago :D I had no answer worthy of giving  :blush2:  She was then pontificating that it might all be a dream but then .. no .. it couldn't be because of the scarf .. really .. it was exhausting  :coolsnow: 

I'm sure I remember watching a film version of Pippi Longstocking but I can't find one on IMDB that looks familiar, and I'm also sure I read some books when I was very young, but I honestly can't remember them at all.  I will, however, be looking to read this one myself now! :D (Especially if it comes with a lovely coffee and a cake like in the picture! :giggle2:)

I used to watch the cartoon when I was a kid... never read the book but now I think I might try find an episode or two on Youtube! :D

Edited by Nollaig

It really should shouldn't it?  Again .. you're welcome to read my copy .. it'd like to get out more :D You're guaranteed coffee and cake then .. during the handover :D

I have this book on my TBR:

Astrid Lindgren - Astrid Lindgren Bibliotheek 10: Pippi Langkous 1-3: Pippi Langkous, Pippi Langkous Gaat aan Boord, Pippi Langkous in Taka-Tuka-land (Pippi Långstrump, Pippi Långstrump Går Ombord, Pippi Långstrump i Söderhavet)

I also used to watch a series or film or such when I was a child, but I don't remember that much of it.

I used to watch the cartoon when I was a kid... never read the book but now I think I might try find an episode or two on Youtube! :D

I'll have to check them out :)

I have this book on my TBR:

Astrid Lindgren - Astrid Lindgren Bibliotheek 10: Pippi Langkous 1-3: Pippi Langkous, Pippi Langkous Gaat aan Boord, Pippi Langkous in Taka-Tuka-land (Pippi Långstrump, Pippi Långstrump Går Ombord, Pippi Långstrump i Söderhavet)

I also used to watch a series or film or such when I was a child, but I don't remember that much of it.

Hope you like them Gaia .. she's great fun :) 

I've read and loved the first Pippi Longstocking book, and I've seen the hilariously bad 1969 Swedish movie. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHIS7WXrNqU&spfreload=10

Lord!!  :o  :o that looks terrible. I had a cartoon in mind .. never knew they'd done a live action version. This is so bad .. it's bound to be good :D  

weneed.jpg

We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo

Synopsis: This is shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2013. It is the US National Book Award 5 Under 35. It is the winner of the Etisalat Prize 2014. 'To play the country-game, we have to choose a country. Everybody wants to be the USA and Britain and Canada and Australia and Switzerland and them. Nobody wants to be rags of countries like Congo, like Somalia, like Iraq, like Sudan, like Haiti and not even this one we live in - who wants to be a terrible place of hunger and things falling apart?' Darling and her friends live in a shanty called Paradise, which of course is no such thing. It isn't all bad, though. There's mischief and adventure, games of Find bin Laden, stealing guavas, singing Lady Gaga at the tops of their voices. They dream of the paradises of America, Dubai, Europe, where Madonna and Barack Obama and David Beckham live. For Darling, that dream will come true. But, like the thousands of people all over the world trying to forge new lives far from home, Darling finds this new paradise brings its own set of challenges - for her and also for those she's left behind.

Review:  A very difficult review to write in hindsight. I remember thinking it was an extraordinary piece of writing but very hard hitting and uncomfortable to read. Written in heavy slang too so it takes a while to get used to the rhythms of the language and to fully understand what's being said. The story is set in Zimbabwe in the late 2000's. It's a desperate place for Darling and her friends and family. AIDs is rife, there's violence and corruption, atrocities against the poor and women in particular, food shortages, crippling poverty, insanitary conditions and just about everything else that could make your homeland a living hell. As a result Darling .. and the other children .. are forced to grow up too soon .. forced to face truths which we as adults would hide from. They do have their games and their dreams though .. and a sort of mental toughness which comes from prolonged suffering. It's a sad story .. tragic in fact .. but never sentimental or self pitying.

It's grim and harrowing with very little joy and immense, immense, pain. The synopsis told me that Darling would get to live out her dreams in paradise (in this instance America) and I thought this would happen fairly early on in the novel but it doesn't and when it does happen the story is not as vibrant or as affecting as it was and it's not the ending you were hoping for either .. or I was hoping for .. (the ends were left loose too .. perhaps there will be a sequel) but for all that I still gave it top marks because .. rather like Toni Morrison's novels .. it just hits you like a steam train .. there's so much truth in the writing and it's all so vividly brought to life.

Caution though .. proceed with care .. it's a tough book to read. There's not much light and shade and it's the opposite of a feel good book .. it's a feel rotten book  :blush2: 5/5

thebirds.jpg

The Birds and other stories by Daphne du Maurier

Synopsis: How long he fought with them in the darkness he could not tell, but at last the beating of the wings about him lessened and then withdrew . . . ' A classic of alienation and horror, 'The Birds' was immortalised by Hitchcock in his celebrated film. The five other chilling stories in this collection echo a sense of dislocation and mock man's sense of dominance over the natural world. The mountain paradise of 'Monte Verità' promises immortality, but at a terrible price; a neglected wife haunts her husband in the form of an apple tree; a professional photographer steps out from behind the camera and into his subject's life; a date with a cinema usherette leads to a walk in the cemetery; and a jealous father finds a remedy when three's a crowd.

Review: I only intended really to read The Birds during the little mini Halloween readathon which is why I have listed them separately on my reading list (honestly I wasn't trying to bump up my figures :D) but went on to read four more and then there were only a couple more to go and so over the course of the next month I read those too. The standout story is The Birds .. you can see why they chose this one to adapt. It's so creepy and most people's worst nightmare (definitely in my family as quite a few of them have Ornithophobia .. though I haven't or only slightly but I did have a horrible experience once when I was a teenager .. I got up in the morning and went out into the hall and a bird attacked me  :o well .. it didn't really .. it was just trying to get out but I shrieked .. went back into my room and shut the door but then it was flapping desperately against the little transom window above the bedroom door .. I just shrieked my head off until help came  :blush2: Twas my Dad's fault .. he had left the loft hatch open but it was horrifying at the time .. and that was just one bird.) The back story here is quite different to the film .. well it's very short for a start so much more dialogue/plot was needed but as far as I can remember it was completely different apart from the birds amassing and attacking. In the book it takes place in Cornwall. Anyway a brilliant story with a chilling ending. The others were a bit hit and miss. I didn't really get on with Monte Verita .. it dragged and wasn't that chilling and I thought Kiss me Stranger was predictable .. I could see where it was going but, on the whole, a highly enjoyable set of short stories .. just perfect for slightly unsettling you on an Autumn evening. 4/5 

Edited by poppyshake

I have seen this movie when I was a child, I think!!

Nice reviews, Kay.

Thanks Gaia :) Not a great movie to watch as a child :D  I'm glad I didn't see it until much later .. in fact I don't think I'd seen it previous to the bird incident .. just as well  :blush2: 

I've heard of the film The Birds, but I had no idea it was a Daphne du Maurier story. :blush2:  Nice review, as well. 

Thanks bobbs :) I didn't know for quite a long time .. he really has only taken the idea of it though .. and made it even more terrifying :D 

Whenever I see more than a few birds congregate on a telephone/light pole, I'm taken straight back to Hitchcock's movie.  :hide:

Yes .. I do love birds .. especially little garden birds .. but if I see a line of rooks or something .. bit spooked  :D That's just what Hitchcock intended :D The cad!! 

• 2 weeks later...

rabbitback.jpg
Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

Synopsis: A highly contagious book virus, a literary society and a Snow Queen-like disappearing author. 'She came to realise that under one reality there's always another. And another one under that.' Only very special people are chosen by children's author Laura White to join 'The Society', an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips. But soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual, 'The Game'? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura's winter party, in a whirlwind of snow? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange themselves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, disturbing secrets that had been buried come to light... In this chilling, darkly funny novel, the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways.

Review: Like most of you I'm sure, I'm drawn to books that have 'library' in the title or 'literary society' or 'book club' or anything like that. It's already got my seal of approval .. I'm well disposed to like it before I've even read the blurb. If you add to that a beautiful cover and a Finnish author then it's really all over for me and my purse. I did think I'd check with frankie first .. is this an author she's read and is he well thought of in Finland? Frankie wasn't sure but she did some research and came back with the info that it was a resounding yes on all counts .. she also managed to get hold of a copy and having read it reported back that it was a gem. That's good enough for me :)

Now, I don't know what I thought it would be about. I did read the blurb but still had only half an idea but whatever it was I was well wide of the mark as this is one of the most unusual, intriguing and unnerving books I've ever read .. not to say sinister and you don't expect that in a book with 'literary society' in the title :D Rabbit Back is also in the title .. which in itself is intriguing but it turned out to be the town where the story takes place. I love that .. and wish I lived in a town called Rabbit Back .. of course odd things are going to happen there .. it's only to be expected.

It's a constant surprise of a story, it made me terribly uncomfortable but it also made me want to keep reading. I did feel the ending was slightly odd .. and that's saying something because oddities were so frequent as to be almost expected at every turn but I didn't quite get it .. possibly I need to re-read. Also I'm not sure it all worked. However, I did like the way the author was willing to explore the story .. almost as if he wasn't sure where it was leading either and is just seeing where it takes him. He wasn't afraid to take risks with it. If you like strange, surreal, unsettling, wintry stories .. then this one is for you. Will definitely read the author again. 4/5

rabbitback.jpg

Synopsis: A highly contagious book virus, a literary society and a Snow Queen-like disappearing author. 'She came to realise that under one reality there's always another. And another one under that.' Only very special people are chosen by children's author Laura White to join 'The Society', an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips. But soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual, 'The Game'? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura's winter party, in a whirlwind of snow? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange themselves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, disturbing secrets that had been buried come to light... In this chilling, darkly funny novel, the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways.

Review: Like most of you I'm sure, I'm drawn to books that have 'library' in the title or 'literary society' or 'book club' or anything like that. It's already got my seal of approval .. I'm well disposed to like it before I've even read the blurb. If you add to that a beautiful cover and a Finnish author then it's really all over for me and my purse. I did think I'd check with frankie first .. is this an author she's read and is he well thought of in Finland? Frankie wasn't sure but she did some research and came back with the info that it was a resounding yes on all counts .. she also managed to get hold of a copy and having read it reported back that it was a gem. That's good enough for me :)

Now, I don't know what I thought it would be about. I did read the blurb but still had only half an idea but whatever it was I was well wide of the mark as this is one of the most unusual, intriguing and unnerving books I've ever read .. not to say sinister and you don't expect that in a book with 'literary society' in the title :D Rabbit Back is also in the title .. which in itself is intriguing but it turned out to be the town where the story takes place. I love that .. and wish I lived in a town called Rabbit Back .. of course odd things are going to happen there .. it's only to be expected.

It's a constant surprise of a story, it made me terribly uncomfortable but it also made me want to keep reading. I did feel the ending was slightly odd .. and that's saying something because oddities were so frequent as to be almost expected at every turn but I didn't quite get it .. possibly I need to re-read. Also I'm not sure it all worked. However, I did like the way the author was willing to explore the story .. almost as if he wasn't sure where it was leading either and is just seeing where it takes him. He wasn't afraid to take risks with it. If you like strange, surreal, unsettling, wintry stories .. then this one is for you. Will definitely read the author again. 4/5

Great poppyshake, I enjoyed it too and the ending is very odd, like your good self there was some parts I was like 'what?' but I kept reading. I recently read his short story 'Where the Trains Turn', which was really good.  I tried to start reading 'Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction' but I got side tracked. :) Going to try and read it again at some point. :)

• 1 month later...

I was reading this log of yours and went as far back as August and you'd actually reviewed Look Who's Back and I'd commented on it and said I'd add it to my wishlist and when I now checked, there it was :D I'd forgotten about it :blush: But it's kinda funny how it all came together what with Mr Butter on FB!

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Great review! I was surprised to see you give it 5/5. I had a copy of the book and I think I tried to start it but couldn't get in at all, and so I thought I'd never like it... I guess it's a log at first! You've made me re-think reading it :) 

More Fool Me by Stephen Fry

Review: The reviews for this have been mixed and I did debate whether to read it or not but having enjoyed his previous two memoirs (and Stephen does make the point that he is going on here somewhat .. there are very satisfactory one volume accounts of the lives of Napoleon and Jesus Christ etc .. and even Katie Price .. why the need for three volumes!!??) I thought I should carry on. At the end of The Fry Chronicles he leaves us rather abruptly .. as he prepares to take his first line of cocaine .. so it's impossible not to want to know what happens next. What happens is of course he becomes addicted, spending hideous amounts of time and money on the stimulant and generally letting himself and everyone who loves him down (though not by being in any way disreputable .. somehow .. though he finds it difficult to break the habit .. it doesn't interfere at all in his working life .. he never for instance takes the drug whilst working or in the daytime at all.) He is, however, far from alone .. nearly everyone else he comes into contact with is playing the same game.

I was so annoyed when the previous book ended with him starting to do his first line! I wanted to through the book out the window because at the time the next book (MFM) had not been published. I think it was in the works. :rolleyes: I recently borrowed it, but didn't get to reading it, as someone had reserved it. It's a popular book I suppose! 

At the start of the book there is a lot of going over old ground ... for the sake of those that haven't read Moab is My Washpot and/or The Fry Chronicles. This has annoyed readers but it didn't me .. he manages to re-tell his back story in a fresh way with new anecdotes so you get a slightly different perspective on the same set of events. Also .. the latter half of the book is taken directly from his diary entries at the time .. which some people think a con but which I enjoyed. No-one tells a tale or writes a diary quite like Stephen Fry. There are some great anecdotes here involving John Mills, Kenneth Branagh, Princess Diana, Damien Hirst, Keith Allen and a particularly fantastic one about Frank Sinatra. 

Ah, I like it that he recaps the earlier book, that means I don't have to re-read it. How lovely :D 

This only takes him up to the nineties .. so there's a few volumes more before we're done I think .. Stephen does like to talk 

:D Luckily we like to listen to him! 

Heft by Liz Moore 

Review: I wanted to like this more than I did .. I liked the cover enormously. I found both characters fascinating .. there was a split narrative .. but bits of Kel's story dragged .. possibly bits of Arthur's did too but he has a very dry sort of humour which made his ramblings more interesting. It was quite frustrating in as much as you spend the entire book .. or most of it .. waiting for a certain event to happen .. which never seems to happen. It's a very sad book in lots of ways and both main characters are incredibly lonely and quite isolated .. plus both have major issues .. Arthur is obese and can't leave home but has kept it secret from his former friends and Kel is the sole carer for his sick Mum. I wanted more from the ending but possibly that might just be me .. I do know there were many times when I was silently yelling 'just get on with it' (I know .. hypocrite or what) and as such I felt cheated because I was wondering what would happen when .. and when didn't happen Wasn't always entirely convinced either but on the whole very touching. A lot of their innermost thoughts struck a chord with me .. the author expressed what it's like to be lonely and a social misfit so well. Worth reading. 3/5

I have this on my wishlist but I don't remember why... Maybe it was recommended to me on Goodreads. It's a book I also want to like... But I'm not feeling too optimistic after having read your review. Of course I'll have to read it to make my own mind up, but I shall lower my expectations accordingly. 

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Hurraaaah for liking Pippi! I thought you would!!  :friends3:

I've read and loved the first Pippi Longstocking book, and I've seen the hilariously bad 1969 Swedish movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHIS7WXrNqU&spfreload=10

Lord!!  that looks terrible. I had a cartoon in mind .. never knew they'd done a live action version. This is so bad .. it's bound to be good 

:(  I respect Kylie's opinion but I don't think it's hilariously bad at all! It's hilarious in its own right, and it's wicked good! I mean it's not a complete laugh-out-loud blast but I like the movies and the series (the ones I've seen). They are a nostalgia trip. I love the clothes and the setting and everything. 

Brilliant review! I'm glad and relieved that you enjoyed the book, even if not quite as much as I did. I was afraid the author couldn't pull of the surreal, but I think he did a great job. It's just that I haven't read any books of this type, any Finnish books that is. 

(I hope you don't mind me coming back to this reading log and bumping it up, but I really wanted to read all your reviews. And I tried to keep my comments short and sweet!)

:(  I respect Kylie's opinion but I don't think it's hilariously bad at all! It's hilarious in its own right, and it's wicked good! I mean it's not a complete laugh-out-loud blast but I like the movies and the series (the ones I've seen). They are a nostalgia trip. I love the clothes and the setting and everything. 

I'm not sure it's an opinion so much as a fact. Do you really think the acting is good? :o