Poppyshake's Reading Year 2014

poppyshake

But . . . But . . . But it's Replay! :o

Mind you, I suppose, being Replay, if you wanted to read it again you should really buy it again :giggle2: And then give it to Kay again :o And then buy it again :giggle2: Etc, ad infinitum :giggle2:

You spend far too much time in alternative dimensions Steve.. :D

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But . . . But . . . But it's Replay:o   

Mind you, I suppose, being Replay, if you wanted to read it again you should really buy it again  :giggle2:   And then give it to Kay again  :o   And then buy it again  :giggle2:   Etc, ad infinitum  :giggle2:

:giggle2:

Happy Reading in 2014 ! :D

Looking at your TBR, I see you have Anderson, James - The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy -  a brilliantly funny book, as are the two sequels. You could always force someone to buy them for you, or would that be wrong ? :smile:

Oh, and if the buying only applies to books -  http://goliath-merchandising.myshopify.com/collections/t-shirts/products/toast-t-shirt - :giggle:. Plenty of Toast quotes in the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next books. ;)

Happy new reading year to you, Kay  :coffee1: 

You too Claire  :hug:

May all the covers you see be ugly to prevent overspending and increasing of TBR (although you still need to find that elusive pink spine from somewhere.) 

I know and I was hoping for more in the way of lilac/purple spines too. Bit much though .. when budget and space is tight .. to be prioritising in favour of spine colour preference :giggle:

May all your library reservations come quickly (how long can it take to deliver a book to an eager reader, after all?)

Too long :D some of them were wanted yesterday. I do wish the library would know about my requirements before I do .. would save so much time  :blush2: 

May all your reading be interesting ('coz you gotta have some rubbish in there to show how good the good stuff is ;))

Oh too true .. I like to throw at least one book down in disgust per year .. for continuity's sake :D  

And may all your reviews be waffling and funny (this one's for us, as we need something to keep our spirits up at the end of the day.)

I will do my best .. I think I'll be fine on the waffle aspect  :blush2: 

Happy 2014!  :doowapstart: 

Happy 2014 Claire  :friends0:

I love your thread already! I hope 2014 will be a good reading year for you.

Thanks Gaia .. you too  :hug:

Happy reading for 2014.

I suspect your "BCF Member's Favourites" post will be quite a long one by the time the year is up! :D

I suspect you may be right  :D Happy reading bobbs  :hug:

Happy 2014, in every which way Kay!

And you Hayley  :smile: wishing you lots of good doggy reads  :hug: (doggy .. not dodgy  :D)

Your blog is one of the best there is. I only wish my own was half as interesting!

Happy reading 2014, lovely Kay. :hug:

Thank you lovely Janet  :hug: Your blog is a WHOLE lot MORE interesting and one of my favourites .. and my taste is impeccable  :D 

Happy reading in 2014, Kay.

You too Steve  :hug: .. I will try and splash about in some more sci-fi/fantasy this year .. see if I can't get to grips with more contemporary stuff  :hide:  :D 

Happy reading/toast munching in 2014 poppychake     :snack:

Thanks Marie  :smile: .. I don't think I've ever been wished a Happy Toast Munching before  :D If only the two things went together better (that is toast munching and reading .. not toast and munching which of course go together best of anything  :D) .. sadly toast crumbs and books are not best friends. If they ever become compatible then we will have good reason to say that progress has been made in our time :D 

Miss Poppy

The best of luck in 2014 . I'm sure you'll do fine with your reading ,as you always do . The No-Buying -Books Rule might be a bit harder to handle. I know the feeling myself .

You too Julie  :hug: 

Every year I swear I won't be buying books (though of course .. this year I'm extra determined  :blush2:) but they will keep publishing them Julie  :D 

Maybe Alan could spray paint a pair of sunglasses for you ,and  get you a seeing-eye -dog  so that you won't be distracted by the flashy book covers in the windows of the stores .

Hmmm ... sunglasses in the winter?? I'm bound to be mistaken for someone famous  :D 

* Note- you'd have to train the dog well so he could lead you to the correct section of the grocery for your TOAST ingredients . We wouldn't want you to miss out on that .

I wouldn't need to worry about that as my sense of smell .. as regards toast or any of it's ingredients .. is second to none. If I am missing out on new books this year then I am definitely not missing out on toast. Poor Alan's life would be a misery  :giggle: 

And if Alan does take your purse and lock you in the attic, if that's where your books are, it really wouldn't be a bad place to be . You might wanna stash some candy bars or something up there too so you have some treats to keep on hand .

Going on how things are going I'd better just take lettuce  :giggle: I wouldn't mind being up there too much .. though Alan would probably put the toaster on just to make it more of a punishment  :D 

.. and a laptop because we'll miss you otherwise!

Awww .. bless you  :friends0: Are you sure it wouldn't be restful?  :giggle: 

In all seriousness, I hope you have the best of reading years in 2014 - filled with lovely, bright covers (even though it'll test your resolve, you don't really want to just view ugly books, surely?) and wonderful reads galore. I'm going to attempt to be more active in book blogs this year, so make sure you save me a seat. :smile2:

You too Ben  :hug: Your seat is reserved .. hope to see your derrière in it quite often  :D Actually nice book covers do cheer me up even if I can't buy them so .. as I don't want to be plunged into a gloom .. I won't mind too much if I see some tempting books on the shelves. I will just say to myself 'get your TBR down to under 100 and maybe you'll be entitled to a reward' .. then I will laugh myself sick and be instantly cheered up :D  

I've just spotted you have Birdsong on your TBR list, I hope you get to read it soon, it has to be in my top ten books of all time, not quite as fantastic as Human Traces but very close. :)

Well this is an encouraging start :) I was going to ask for some suggestions on what to read from my TBR so excellent. At the moment all the new books are looking shiny and tempting but that never lasts long. 

I have a copy of Replay that you are welcome to have, much as I liked it I rarely read books twice and I'm not a book collector/hoarder, you may even lick it then but I must warn you it does come from a doggy household and whilst all attempts would be made to post it hair free this isn't always possible! :D

That is very kind of you Hayley .. I've heard lots of good things about it  :smile: Coming from a catty household (and why does that not sound so comforting?  :giggle:) I am more than at home with a few pet hairs :blush2:  

Happy Reading in 2014 !

You too LP :)

Looking at your TBR, I see you have Anderson, James - The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy -  a brilliantly funny book, as are the two sequels. You could always force someone to buy them for you, or would that be wrong ?

It's good to get another recommendation :smile:  That book was definitely bought because of its lovely cover  :blush2: I'm glad to know that the contents are worthy of such a gorgeous wrapping :D If I read it and enjoy it then the others are bound to follow :blush2: I don't like to use the word 'force' .. I prefer 'encourage'  :D   

Brilliant .. I love it :)

Plenty of Toast quotes in the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next books.

Yes I've collected quite a few  ... one of my faves is .. 

A wise man wants for only nourishing cabbage soup; seek not other things. Except perhaps a toaster :D

- from the teachings of St. Zvlkx™

The wisdom of St. Zvlkx™ is wholly owned by the toast marketing board :D

Thank you lovely Janet  :hug: Your blog is a WHOLE lot MORE interesting and one of my favourites .. and my taste is impeccable  :D 

The number of views/comments shows that this isn't the case, but bless you for saying so.  :)  :hug:  I agree that you have impeccable taste though!

The number of views/comments shows that this isn't the case, but bless you for saying so.  :)  :hug:  I agree that you have impeccable taste though!

All the viewers are me Janet .. and most of the comments too  :giggle: It's what's known as the waffle factor .. I have it apparently  :D  

Excellent, I'll post it over the next few days hopefully as I am away tomorrow and Friday, I do hope you like it, and I hope your cat (Molly?) can't smell the dogs! She could be most displeased! :D

Thank you very much Hayley  :hug: Molly was born on a farm and was used to dogs as a littlie .. so she's not as worried by them as I'd like her to be (too inquisitive by half .. and next door's dog isn't keen  :D)

Kay and / or Chalie  --

Can you tell me the author's name for Replay ? There are several books on Amazon with the same title. I'm trying to write out a list of books that people mention here this year that I might add to my list for future reads . I certainly won't need any soon, but if I hear of some that come highly recommended and they sound as if I might like them, I'm keeping a notebook of them handy .

Thanks --

Kay and / or Chalie  --

Can you tell me the author's name for Replay ? There are several books on Amazon with the same title. I'm trying to write out a list of books that people mention here this year that I might add to my list for future reads . I certainly won't need any soon, but if I hear of some that come highly recommended and they sound as if I might like them, I'm keeping a notebook of them handy .

Thanks --

x

Ken Grimwood :).

Link to the Kindle ebook of Replay by Ken Grimwood

Edited by Athena

Happy and healthy reading in 2014 kay!

You too Deborah xx  :hug:

I received a book prezzie from frankie today  :boogie: It is the marvellously titled Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjørnsen  :smile: The blurb says it's 'arrestingly eccentric' so straightaway I know it'll be right up my alley :D Thank you dear frankie  :hug: .. I'm looking forward to it already  :smile:

I actually bought a book today  :blush2: (Mrs Bridge - Evan S. Connell) I know I said I wouldn't but Alan gave me a Waterstone's voucher so I can hardly exchange it for a bag of spuds can I?  :D Now we're on the subject I may as well confess that I bought two books  :giggle: (A Red Herring Without Mustard - Alan Bradley.) The problem was that there was still £1 or so left over on the voucher and I knew I'd forget all about it if I didn't spend it now and though I could have bought some half price wrapping paper or something .. this is a bookshop!! and it's full of books so I thought it was only fair of me to relieve them of another one because they are stacked out in there! 

I did stick rigorously to my wishlist (well done me!) and I didn't look at the spines (it's entirely co-incidental that the Alan Bradley one is pink  :blush2:) so I'm not entirely ashamed. However, I now see .. with regards to the Alan Bradley book .. that I have bought 'Flavia de Luce 3' and I've only read 'Flavia de Luce 1' so obviously there's still 2 to think about and possibly get before I can embark.