Harry Potter - why such a phenomenon?

Michelle

Harry Potter is HUGE.. best selling books and films, tons of publicity, and sill amounts of money for the author! But why? There are other great books out there, but nothing has been as big as this. Do you think that they are just great books, or that the 'publicity machine' has made them a sucess?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The publicity machine has certainly helped hype them up, but I for one love them. Whether I'm reading them for the first time or the sixth time I am still totally bowled over by JK Rowling's imagination and when I'm reading them I actually find myself believing that Hogwarts could actually exist.

But yeah I do think the publicity surrounding the books and films each time they are released has definitely helped with their success. I mean the first book or two weren't all that successful when they were first published, were they, so something must have happened to trigger off this whole HP phenomenon - I just can't remember what it was.

Still as a booklover who is always reading, I think any publicity that HP gets is definitely a good thing. It's certainly helped get kids reading again.

I think I must be the only person on the planet who isn't excited about the new book :). I am sure I will go to the cinema and see the film at some point but i'm not rushing there tonight!

My son however is excited about getting the book next Saturday.

Nici, I'm not that bothered. I do read the books, although it was ages before I decided to start. I'll probably get this one quite quickly, purely because everyone will start talking about the ending. I certainly won't be queuing at midnight though!

I read HP before all the hype and I was totally blown away by it. The only reason I bought it for myself was because I got it for my nephew for Christmas and read the first few pages - I knew I'd like the story so I bought myself a copy!

I think this has certainly been pushed more than many other, equally good, books, but like Karen I can't wait for next Saturday and I'm frustrated that I'm working so won't be able to start it until after 2pm!

I love the Harry Potter stories. I too, find myself believing that Hogwarts exists, but then I believe middle earth exists too. I'm going to see the film at the IMAX(3D) tonight and I can't wait!:):exc::thud: I'm furiously trying to get through the previous books before next Saturday. I wanted to cue up at midnight, but as we have ordered it on OHs credit card we shall have to go down on Sat with the kids.

i'm up to the 5th harry potter-definitely not going to make my goal of reading the first 6 before the 7th comes out- i've enjoyed all of them-i think they're so popular because of the fantasy aspect and that harry is a kid who's been put through alot and people respond to that- carm

I have never read any Harry Potter, seen any of the movies, nor do I plan to. I know they are a huge phenomenon, but I have not been attracted to them in spite of the hype surrounding them for years on end. Just not my cuppa.

The only bit of curiosity I had the other day was wondering if the same actor will play out the series. Or will he be too old by the time the last movie comes out. And that only a vague curiosity.

I've tried reading the first Harry Potter book, and just wasn't into it. However I do plan on giving it another go, as there have been too many wonderful things said about it for me to disregard them. :)

I think it's great when any book encourages children (and adults!) to read. Hopefully most of these kids will be hooked on books for life. :thud:

The only bit of curiosity I had the other day was wondering if the same actor will play out the series. Or will he be too old by the time the last movie comes out. And that only a vague curiosity.

All three of the actors who play the main characters of Harry, Ron and Hermione have signed on for the final two films.

Source: BBC

All three of the actors who play the main characters of Harry, Ron and Hermione have signed on for the final two films.

Source: BBC

Ahh, thanks. Makes sense. Also steady work. :)

Is there anyone here who refuses to read them because they're so popular? (Is anyone going to admit it? :))Today 07:56

If someone likes a book, it shouldn't matter if it is popular or not. And that would be sort of like biting ones nose off to spite ones face. :thud:

Is there anyone here who refuses to read them because they're so popular? (Is anyone going to admit it? :))

When the hype first started I wasn't all that bothered about reading them and the first four books in the series were out before I picked one up. And that was only because a friend of my mum leant me them - if I hadn't have borrowed them from her who knows when or even if I would have read them. (Although I have a sneaky suspicion I probably would have done at some point or other.) Anyway once I'd read the four I'd borrowed I bought a box set of them and reread them and since then have always gotten the new ones on the day of release.

As has already been said at least all this hype is getting people interested in reading who might otherwise not have bothered. I face a very similar thing at work with Time Team. It does cause a lot of problems (unrealistic expectations of how long a dig can take, what will be found, the fact that archaeology is more than just digging holes in the ground, the lack of reports after they have actually done the work.... huge problem that one because whats the point of doing the work if you don't produce a record of it after wards??) yet many of us still feel that the positives should be lauded. The positives for us include greater public awareness of archaeology, more developers willing to undertake archaeology work (if its a planning condition they have no choice really but thats beside the point), more people being aware of geophysics and happier about it being done prior to excavation etc. The protests over the Newport Ship and the ones over the Rotherwas Ribbon recently show that there is a great deal of public support for archaeology now.

Most of the time nothing is worth the hype it gets unfortunately. I personally feel that Jonathan Stroud's Bartimeaus triology is much better.

But why?

The true miracle of the HP books is that they took off in the teen and pre-teen set. Kids were reading that first one (adults too - but it was the kids).

There is a tremendous need to conform when you are a kid. It almost never happens with books because its almost impossible for a book to be a fashion statement. Another factor in favor of books is that it's not gender-based, so this potential exploded.

There have been comparable trends that have swept kid-dom; hula-hoops, saddle shoes, backwards baseball caps, Britney Spears, Michael Jordan (and his jersey), yo-yos and so on. The deal with HP was that it is a book and so it's rare and amazing.

Once we get beyond that first book phenomenon, then we're talking franchise. The only franchise that I can think of that's similar is the Hello Kitty franchise which seems to have done pretty well for about ten years (did you know one can buy a Hello Kitty vibrator?).

The final bit I'll add is that this miracle is set up in a closed universe, we know there are an exact set of books (and movies) and so the energy has an ending point. If we did not know that, sales would have begun dropping after the second book.

There have been a few books that have been fashion trends; Dr. Spock's baby book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Celestine Prophecy, Chariots of the Gods and the Da Vinci Code come to mind ~ sudden popular books that are talked about at the water cooler and at quilting bees. Big, just not as big as HP, because HP has the kids.

i'll echo what a lot of others are saying in that it's gotten kids to read- its very sad to me to hear from kids and young adults too that they havent touched a book in years- carm

I picked up the first one and wasn't too impressed and didn't get far. I'd be interested to read the later ones as they get more sophisticated as the series goes on, but I feel I should read the early ones first or the later ones won't make sense.

Marketing genius to aim each book at a progressively higher age group but annoying because the early ones don't have as much appeal to me.

(It may turn out I don't enjoy the later ones either but I'm curious)

I'll freely admit I kept away from the Harry Potter books for ages because of all the hype, plus I was a big fan of the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer and thought they wouldn't live up to that.

It wasn't until I'd seen the third film (The Prisoner of Azkoban) that I decided to read the books - the reason was that there were moments in the film that didn't make much sense to me and I thought, "Hang on" If I read the books, it's sure to fill in the gaps!"

I got hold of the first book and whizzed through it pretty quickly. When I was done, I bought the next three and read them immediately. The others followed and I've been desperately awaiting the final instalment to see if Rowling can possibly live up to the promises!

I still love the Artemis Fowl books, but I love the Harry Potter ones too, on their own merit. I think a large part of Rowling's success has come because her books appealed to children who had never before been interested in reading - and it spread like wildfire! The media then picked up on it and it went super-nova!

A large part of the appeal is that it's something both kids and adults can enjoy and it's encouraged families to talk about their reading together, whcih, in turn, encourages more reading and more communication on other subjects, which can only be a good thing. The kids that started out with the first book when it was first published have grown up with Harry and when they have kids of their own, they'll want to pass him on to the next generation - these books are going to endure in the same way that Lord of the Rings has - there's myth and magic all wound up in a boy who is painfully human - a kid who is a little different from everyone he has known as a child - and all kids can identify with that feeling. Harry makes it OK to be different!

I only wish I could have had these books when I was an awkward kid because I was the odd one out who never fit in and would have loved for the kind of revelation that Harry gets!

That was the initial reason. But watching a few miutes of one of the films and hearing 10 minutes of a radio adaptation read by Stephen Fry pretty much reinforced all the prejudices I wanted to have.

heh, heh...:)

I have only read them or listened to HP novels because son was at just the right age when the first one came out. My mum picked it up for son before all the hype and son was hooked so I read HP books to him and daughter over many years - also loaned tapes from library for car journeys. Very enjoyable books as are films etc although I would never have read them if it hadn't been for kids. :)

We also have Lego models!!

I can honestly say that I never have read any of the books - they just do not appeal. Tiger keeps asking when I'm going to borrow her books but I really cannot get into fantasy at all. I do enjoy the films though - mainly because of the kids.