Harry Potter - why such a phenomenon?

Michelle

I picked up the first one and wasn't too impressed and didn't get far. I'd be interested to read the later ones as they get more sophisticated as the series goes on, but I feel I should read the early ones first or the later ones won't make sense.

I avoided them for a while because of the hype, then thought there must be something to it all so I got a box-set of the first four books for Christmas one year.

I wasn't overly impressed with them after I'd read the first couple. I thought 'anyone could have written this', which is still my view of them to a certain degree. I think JK Rowling got a bit lucky and wrote the right book at the right time - a time when kids weren't reading much.

It probably wasn't until the fourth book that I really started getting into them, and I've bought the last two books on the day they were released. If you're going to give them another go FishAndChips, I'd strongly recommend reading them from the beginning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also waited to read the books because I seriously thought they were just for children. I bought a set of the first 4, and ended up liking them. But, I have to agree with some of you that I wasn't overly impressed with J.K. Rowling's writing ability, and she seemed to borrow a lot of her material (including some names) from other sources, which bothered me just a bit. I've read all six, and I've re-read all of them, except #6, and I'll eventually buy #7, but I'm really in no hurry.

I have always though that Harry Potter - whether on book or on film - was grossly overrated; OK at best and certainly nowhere near in quality that the adulation that is heaped up on the stories in the past decade would suggest. Things just happened at the right time for HP; the concept was bit of a throwback to old fashioned fantasies with modern "special effects" thrown in for good measure and came aboard at a time when stories, particularly in kids' books, were becoming unimaginative & monotonous. So, the HP stories were like a breath of fresh air and took off in a big way right from the start; once they did, it became fashionable to be part of the HP bandwagon and we are still there today.

It/they/she got a generation of children to enjoy reading and be as excited about it as any other media.

My son was just the right age for them all, he's 14 now. For him at about 7 he found a story that was for him, not me or as you said Oblomov monotonous and boring. It has made decent writing for children fashionable and I'll jump on that bandwagon.

Mixture of school story and magic, with latterly some teenage angst, don't care how derivative it is works for me!

I was just wondering this myself the other day!

I've tried reading the first Harry Potter book, and just wasn't into it. However I do plan on giving it another go, as there have been too many wonderful things said about it for me to disregard them. :)

Personally, I think the first book is actually on of the weakest ones, I don't know if it's just that I've grown up a bit since reading them , and they're now a bit...I dunno...simple, dumbed-down...I still love it, though.

I wasn't overly impressed with them after I'd read the first couple. I thought 'anyone could have written this', which is still my view of them to a certain degree. I think JK Rowling got a bit lucky and wrote the right book at the right time - a time when kids weren't reading much.

I agree, I don't think it's necessarily the book itself, it's when they came out. And I'm seeing the 5th movie at half 4 today and I can't wait!

Absolutely, if you didn't read the first book when it came out ~ then the hype makes it way too big and you'll read and say, "it ain't all that."

My example would be the movie Titanic. A huge movie and I missed the original rush. I know if I saw it, I might think it's good but so many people have gushed and told me I'd love it that I know already, "it ain't all that."

Hype is great for anticipation but it's a killer when it's a passed-upon trend.

Well, for the first time ever, I've just pre-ordered a book from Waterstones and paid in full so I can pick up my hardback, adult cover copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at my leisure. Waterstones will be open from midnight on 21 July for all those people desperate enough to get their hands on it in the wee-small hours, but I just want to avoid the crowds while making sure I have the book I want, and at only

I've heard reports that a large number of people will be turning to the last page as soon as they buy it - it almost causes me physical pain to think about!

I agree that the HP books aren't significantly better than other books of the same type, but the publicity machine really got it right.

I can agree that the hype is, very off putting and I'm glad I got into them before the hype took over. I never really read a lot of reviews or critics or keep up with that stuff anyway - usually I just 'notice' it but don't read much about it anyway.

I however, think the books are still very good and very much my favourite series that I've yet to read. I can still remember the feeling of utter excitement after I read the first book. The second book came out soon after I read that and the wait for the third I remember being excrusiating.

I don't reckon they'd have been a hype without the attention from the readers/public already.

Anyway - hype or no hype. It hasn't just got kids reading. It has got kids thinking. Okay, not about maths or Shakespeare but if you go on line and you read the theories and discussions all about Harry Potter - it's got a lot of people talking and I don't think that's cos of the hype. It hypes it up some more, but they're obviously enjoying it very much.

If anything creates that amount of passion in people, then its a good thing even if they hype annoys you. It annoys me. I get really peed off every time I see another bloody advertisement for the Deathly Hallows in Waterstones. They have one on every other bloody bookshelf.

The merchendise, the movie hype the critics the this and that.

It's amazing to think how bloody hyped up it is.

But to hell with it. I don't care if people say she's not that good of a writer. Isn't she? She's wrote a hugely popular, much loved and extremely good story. She may not be Shakespeare or Charlotte Bronte or Ian McEwan. Maybe she uses too many adverbs or ellipses or this that and the other. She however has woven an extremely intricate story and characters, magic and imagintion together and that's what makes a good book. Not how good the actual technical writing is - because I've read good writing and the story is absolute rubbish.

I must say that all the cheap merchandise hitting the shops annoys me. It is just pointless really, but I'm sure children will disagree.

J.Ks writing as got a lot better since the first couple of HPs and she has created a phenomenon. Her style didn't stop her first book becoming such a hit.

I can't remember why I got into Harry Potter. I think I wanted to read them after i heard about them because they sounded interesting, but it wasn't until in 2003 when I asked a housemate at uni if I could borrow his copy of the Philosophers Stone that I got into them. I now love them, and that is because I find them fascinating, not because everybody else does. Whenever I see a film or read a book, even for the second or fifth time, I can't wait to immerse myself in Harry Potter's world, which is very real to me. This goes so farthat now and again I look round the website and play the games or read things just to get my fix:lurker:. I will still read the book as soon as I get it though. I can't bear thinking that people will read it before me because I know it will be talked about very soon after release..

I keep thinking that - must read it before someone spoils it! :)

That's precisely why we have spoiler tags :thud:

once folks start reading it, they'll be gagging to chat about it, but any plot-line tidbits must be put within the spoiler tags so as not to spoil the surprise for anyone else. Any spoilers posted without the tags will have those tags edited in by the Mod Squad - who will also be wanting to read it, so I hope everyone takes note! :)

One of my work colleagues is planning on getting the book on its release but keeping it for her holiday - in September. I don't see how she's going to stay spoiler free all that time though. She's bound to hear people talking about it.

My brother said something that made me laugh the other day. I asked him if he saw the new Harry Potter film, and he said he did and that he's "chomping at the bit to get the new book." I don't know why that made me laugh so hard, but I think it's because he's not much of a reader and he said it with a straight face! :lol: And because it's probably true...he loves harry Potter.

One of my work colleagues is planning on getting the book on its release but keeping it for her holiday - in September. I don't see how she's going to stay spoiler free all that time though. She's bound to hear people talking about it.

One of my work colleagues always waits until it comes out in paperback before she reads it. I don't know how she'll last that long without accidentally finding out the ending. And it's frustrating for myself and other work colleagues because we can't discuss it in front of her!

I went to see the new HP movie last night and a young guy (maybe early 20s) started asking me if I'd read all the books and was I getting the new book etc. He looked a bit rough - the kind of guy you would think has never opened a book in his life, but he was going on about how much he loved HP and he was almost bursting with excitement about the movie/books :lol:

And I think that is the magic of Harry Potter and JK Rowling.

Waiting to read it can be possible, depending on whether your friends and collegues read it or not. If I wasn't a member here I wouldn't hear anything about it. However, I think this particular one is more difficult, because I wouldn't be surprised to see it in news articles etc.

Kell, while forum users can use spoiler tags, other people won't, and it is even likely that forum users will let things slip I don't want to know. but it was others that I was talking about.

My sister asked me something the other day. She said, "why is film 5 out, and book seven" (after thinking that the same film and book were out). How can the film come out before, or even at the same time as the book?? For some reason she didn't understand this, and yes she is really that dim. You wouldn't believe some of the things she comes out with!

I've heard reports that a large number of people will be turning to the last page as soon as they buy it - it almost causes me physical pain to think about!

I came across this quote the other day, now have googled the world and can't find it anywhere, but basically it's a famous author (my money is on Mark Twain or GBS) who said (paraphrased), "oh, yes. Please read the last page first. Since you know what's going to happen, then now you can sit back and enjoy the writing!"

Quite a different take and kind of fun; making it not about the story but about the writing itself.

Harry Potter appeals to so many people because it's just such wonderful escapism, which appeals to adults bored with their normal stressful lives. There's also quite a bit of nostalgia, with the steam trains and no TVs and modern electronics. To me, it harks back to the 1950s, which many apparently see as some kind of golden age.

Children enjoy the boarding school setting, with kids away from adult influences and getting into their own adventures, and the fun stuff like the feasts and the ghosts. Which brings me to my next point - JK Rowling really does have such a wonderful imagination! There's so many wonderful things she's thought up. I recently watched the first film on TV, and there are just so many imaginative touches: Platform 9 3/4 hidden between platforms 9 and 10! The Sorting Hat - what a great way to put people into their houses! The enchanted ceiling in the Great Hall! The moving/talking paintings demanding passwords!

Finally, I agree with Kell when she says:

Harry makes it OK to be different!

Rowling takes the "unpopular" kids, who would normally be the targets for bullying, and makes them her heroes. Harry himself is a skinny kid who wears glasses. His friends are the school swot and a ginger kid. Neville would be teased for his surname. JK makes them all strong, likeable characters and reminds children that it's what's inside that counts, not what you look like. I'm sure these stories must have helped many bullied kids feel better about themselves, whilst enjoying some wonderful stories at the same time. :lol:

I came across this quote the other day, now have googled the world and can't find it anywhere, but basically it's a famous author (my money is on Mark Twain or GBS) who said (paraphrased), "oh, yes. Please read the last page first. Since you know what's going to happen, then now you can sit back and enjoy the writing!"

Quite a different take and kind of fun; making it not about the story but about the writing itself.

Oh, I couldn't do that. I like to enjoy the story as well. I couldn't stand it if I knew were the story was going and where everyone would end up.

Waiting to read it can be possible, depending on whether your friends and collegues read it or not. If I wasn't a member here I wouldn't hear anything about it. However, I think this particular one is more difficult, because I wouldn't be surprised to see it in news articles etc.

I remember when book 5 (I think) came out and the name of the person who died in it was written on banners and things that people then hung over the edge of bridges across motorways and things. There will always be people who want to spoil it for others and sometimes it can unavoidable.

• 8 months later...

I think it's because she told a very good story. As simple as that. She built up an entire magical world and opened up a lot of questions that had readers guessing until the very end. :lol: