Which book is this?

I was going to ask if you'd read it. I have only the vaguest notion about it .. if you had mentioned the name .. the words 'that bloke who goes off into the woods to be by himself' would've come to mind .. but from the quotes it sounds much more deep and interesting than that. Ooh we've discovered that we should read a book .. happy days :boogie: 

Uhmm ...

“And what is the use of a book," thought *****, "without pictures or conversation" 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to ask if you'd read it. I have only the vaguest notion about it .. if you had mentioned the name .. the words 'that bloke who goes off into the woods to be by himself' would've come to mind .. but from the quotes it sounds much more deep and interesting than that. Ooh we've discovered that we should read a book .. happy days :boogie: 

Your notion of the book is pretty much what I thought about it, too. And I would never have gotten interested in it, but for a rather random thing: was out with a friend, he brought a friend with him, and we started talking books because I like them. The friend of my friend said he'd only ever read one book, because he had to, and he had to write a review on it, too. But he liked it. It was Walden. He talked so highly of it that I thought I must read this book, I must! And I'm now happy that I have found a copy and got it for myself, and that it's so readable and not boring at all! :) I wonder if you will now start thinking about reading it... :giggle2:

Uhmm ...

“And what is the use of a book," thought *****, "without pictures or conversation" 

Hmmmmm! Sounds so familiar. Ohhh.... Hm I see 3 new replies... I wonder if somebody's got it already.

:D I knew somebody had gotten it! :D That was quick Jänet, good job :D

It did make my effort to guess Walden look pretty pathetic :D (and yes .. I have mentally pushed it further up my list :D)

I wonder what Janet will choose :lurker: 

Yes Janet :boogie:  well done x

Sorry to get it so quickly - but it's a great book!

Those dripping crumpets, I can see them now. Tiny crisp wedges of toast, and piping-hot, flaky scones. Sandwiches of unknown nature, mysteriously flavoured and quite delectable, and that very special gingerbread. Angel cake, that melted in the mouth, and his rather stodgier companion, bursting with peel and raisins. There was enough food there to keep a starving family for a week.”

This is in homage to Kay - who I'm sure will get it pretty quickly!   :giggle2:

It did make my effort to guess Walden look pretty pathetic :D (and yes .. I have mentally pushed it further up my list  :D)

Yay, hehe! :D

Sorry to get it so quickly - but it's a great book!

Those dripping crumpets, I can see them now. Tiny crisp wedges of toast, and piping-hot, flaky scones. Sandwiches of unknown nature, mysteriously flavoured and quite delectable, and that very special gingerbread. Angel cake, that melted in the mouth, and his rather stodgier companion, bursting with peel and raisins. There was enough food there to keep a starving family for a week.”

This is in homage to Kay - who I'm sure will get it pretty quickly!   :giggle2:

As soon as I saw the word 'toast', I thought okay, the rest of us don't have a shot in hell, poppyshake's going to swoop in and claim it :D

I must say I read all the post lol....all 16 pages so far. And I knew none of the books listed but it was interesting and fun to read everybodies post! Will have to come back to see who answered this one cuz I have NO CLUE!! :blink::readingtwo:

Hello apacheflower and welcome to the forum! :) It's a fun game, isn't it :D

Thanks frankie and yes it seems fun although I am more of a paranormal reader I have bunches of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, David Baldacci, Robin Cook, Dan Brown as well as ppl like Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie and man a bunch more! I have 1504 books in my calibre list n adding more books all the time!

Thanks frankie and yes it seems fun although I am more of a paranormal reader I have bunches of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, David Baldacci, Robin Cook, Dan Brown as well as ppl like Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie and man a bunch more! I have 1504 books in my calibre list n adding more books all the time!

Well there was a Stephen King quote earlier, from the book Christine! :) I'm sure more paranormal stuff will creep up on here. :)

1504 books? Wow, that's great :D (Could I persuade you to set up a reading log of your TBR books and books read in the reading log section? We'd love to have new members do that and get active on here :) )

Is it biographical?

No.  :)

I don't know it :blush2: I've searched through all my toast quotes and it's not there .. but woohoo!! .. it will be one to add once we've worked it out.

I am not the toast guru .. take the shame! :(:blush2:  :giggle: 

Aww, Kay.  :hug:  You are still a toast guru!  :friends3:

Oh :o

Well.. Is it by a female author?

Yes!  :)

Is it a British authoress Janet? .. It's just the whole tea and scones and toast and crumpet thing sounds very British plus you wrote 'flavoUred' :D 

I love the sound of the book .. I want to read it if I haven't already :D 

Ok, it doesn't sound contemporary so maybe last century? More than 20/30 years? :)

Yes, last century - and more than 30 years ago.  :)

Is it a British authoress Janet? .. It's just the whole tea and scones and toast and crumpet thing sounds very British plus you wrote 'flavoUred' :D 

I love the sound of the book .. I want to read it if I haven't already :D 

Yup, British.  :)