Which book is this?

I guess then it must be Dickens?  No idea which book if it is though!

Yes Claire it is :)

It has to be A Tale of Two Cities!!! :)

Edit: And because I didn't know it from the first quote, I will try and redeem myself by saying that I knew it from the second quote, even before I'd seen chesilbeach's post above ^ :)

Wohoo! :boogie: .. well done frankie .. it is indeed .. brilliant book :)

Your turn now :smile: 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! :)

If I should attempt to tell how I have desired to spend my life in years past, it would probably surprise those of my readers who are somewhat acquainted with its actual history; it would certainly astonish those who know nothing about it. I will only hint at some of the enterprises which I have cherished.

He's dead you mean!! :D Awww RIP dead American male author .. you did write a classic though .. maybe more than one :shrug: and you got it on the 1001 so fair play :clapping: 

Oh hang on .. you don't mean Henry James do you? He was American born.

He's dead you mean!! :D Awww RIP dead American male author .. you did write a classic though .. maybe more than one :shrug: and you got it on the 1001 so fair play :clapping: 

Great obituary! :D

Oh hang on .. you don't mean Henry James do you? He was American born.

Not Henry James.

Should I add another quote... Hmmm?

As I preferred some things to others, and especially valued my freedom, as I could fare hard and yet succeed well, I did not wish to spend my time in earning rich carpets or other fine furniture, or delicate cookery, or a house in the Grecian or the Gothic style just yet. If there are any to whom it is no interruption to acquire these things, and who know how to use them when acquired, I relinquish to them the pursuit.

Ooh .. he's very wordy. Not fictional!! .. well I didn't think you'd made him up :D

Oh do you mean the book is non-fiction? Oh that must narrow down the 1001 considerably :D ermmm ... :confused: 

:D :D The book is non-fiction! Chalie already asked earlier if it's a bio and I told her it's kinda autobiographical, but much more, too, although I've now realised I probably should've said 'a memoir' because an autobio/bio covers the whole life, right? And this one doesn't.

Edited by frankie

Oh did I miss that bit? :doh: what a twit :D

Aha! ... Henry David Thoreau's Walden? .. I would have said that earlier only it's taken me this long to painstakingly go through the 1001 looking for male, American, dead, non-fiction writers :D 

I hope it's him and that I haven't missed someone else? I had to look up all the authors that I suspected weren't British .. most of them were German and more than half turned out to actually be British  :blush2:  :giggle: 

Yay, you got it, it's Walden! :D:exc:  I've never even read it myself, but I thought I should, and found a cheap secondhand copy of it a year or two ago, but haven't felt like reading it, I thought it would be boring... But now, leafing through it for quotes, it's really interesting and I like the style! :D So, happy time! :D

Your turn! :)