Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nor can I, but I'm not going to let that get between me and a good book, and some of their choices happen to be very good books (at least IMO!).

I know but knowing my luck I'll pick more dud books than good books :lol:

Has anybody read The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl?

'Boston - 1865 - A small group of elite scholars prepares to introduce Dante's vision of Hell to America. But so does a murderer.'

Seems to be a historical-fiction crime novel, featuring THE DIVINE COMEDY WAHEY! I bought it because it was pretty, said 'Dante' a few times and was only €1.50. Apparently, according to the cover, it's an international bestseller.

Anyone read it?

ETA: Nevermind! I decided to search the forum and see that BookJumper has already asked about it in this thread. Apologies!

Peacefield said she liked it - that's good enough for me.

Edited by Nollaig

:eek2: No worries! All is well now that you own one of the best books ever written! Haha, well maybe not in the history of all books, but certainly one of my faves! I can't wait for you to read it ;).

Hooray for charity shops and Dante-esque excitment, Noll!! :eek2:

Has anyone read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley? I was doing a search of historical fiction today at Amazon and this one came up, plus I've seen it before in the stores and have been tempted to pick it up but haven't yet.

Blithe, I think I remember you getting this title recently - have you read it yet and if so, what did you think?

I know someone here is currently reading Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill, but I can't remember who it is!

I was thinking of asking for it from my Aunt for Christmas and I just wondered what whoever it is thinks/though of it.

Thanks in advance. :D

Ooh thanks - I'll check that out. :D

I saw it on Susan Hill's site when I was searching for bookclub suggestions and it's in the new edition of New Books Mag... but both articles are (naturally) non-objective as they're her opinion!

I'm about halfway through it Janet and so far I'm really enjoying it :D It's a small hardback but completely worth reading in my opinion - without giving anything away Susan Hill decides to only read books in her home and curtail her internet usage which was distracting her from reading properly! Something I think I can identify with :D

Anyway, I'm really glad I got it - definitely a great present to receive or give!

Has anyone here ever read any Henry Miller?

Someone on another forum told me that I'd possibly like him as I'm really enjoying Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London, but [someone on] Wikipedia's opinion that "He was known for breaking with existing literary forms and developing a new sort of 'novel' that is a mixture of novel, autobiography, social criticism, philosophical reflection, surrealist free association, and mysticism, one that is distinctly always about and expressive of the real-life Henry Miller and yet is also fictional" makes me unsure (specifically the philosophical reflection, surrealist free association, and mysticism bit!).

I just wondered if anyone has any opinions on which of his books (if any!) I should look out for? Thanks in advance. :D

I posted this back in February in a thread named (unsurprisingly!) 'Henry Miller' but it had no replies. I thought I'd ask again in the designated thread. :lol:

I apologize if anyone's asked about this writer recently. I've 'thumbed' back through a few pages of this thread and can't find any mention of him so will ask if anyone has read any of the Stieg Larsson trilogy and, if so, would they recommend my having a go at them?

Thanks