Has anyone read...?

Janet

Has anyone read Firmin: Adventures of a Metropolitan Lowlife by SamSavage? I saw it in Waterstones today and from the blurb it looked pretty interesting. I want some first hand feedback if possible.

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read many mixed reviews on Wicked by Gregory Maguire that I didn't think I'd ever read it. However, I was at a party a few weeks ago and this girl I met insisted that I read it and I wouldn't be disappointed, so I think I'll give it a try. She also recommended Maguire's Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Has anyone read that? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, I was hoping some Jodi Picoult fans could help me out. I've heard so much about her and I would really like to read one of her books, but I don't know where to start. There are way too many to choose from. So, if anyone could recommend one of her books for me to start with I would really appreciate it. Thanks! =)

The first Jodi Picoult book I read was The Pact,which I would recommend,however as others have said, My Sister's Keeper is excellent and also Change of Heart.

Before that I started Wicked, but didn't get very far - I think I expected something rather different. However, having read 'Confessions', I will certainly give it another go one day.

Having loved the stage production of "Wicked," I expected to love the book, but I didn't. In fact, I gave up after 100 pages. I was so disappointed, especially after reading one of the author's books for young children (cannot for the life of me remember its name) but it was hilarious. Had me laughing out loud, so I had great expectations for Wicked.

Jodi Piccoult I would start with either My Sister's Keeper or Change of Heart. Change of Heart is probably better but My Sister's Keeper is the first one I read so I'll always be fond of it

My feelings on Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister can be found here. Before that I started Wicked, but didn't get very far - I think I expected something rather different. However, having read 'Confessions', I will certainly give it another go one day.

My sister's keeper was the reading circle book choice some time ago. Have a look here.

The first Jodi Picoult book I read was The Pact,which I would recommend,however as others have said, My Sister's Keeper is excellent and also Change of Heart.

I'm still a little timid about reading Wicked, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Michelle, thanks for the link to your review of Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister it was very helpful.

Lucybird, Maureen and leah, thanks so much for your thoughts on Jodi Picoult's books. I think I'll try My Sister's Keeper first.

Thank again! =)

Bookworm, yes, if you're going to dive into Jodi Picoult's books, then My Sister's Keeper is the place to start. I feel it's her best by far, and I've loved most of them. The only two that didn't sit right with me were TheTenth Circle and 19 Minutes. If I'd read either one of those two before any of her others, I probably wouldn't have read any more.

The Tenth Circle is, I believe, the author's favourite.

You're right, Maggie.. Picoult does mention that "The Tenth Circle" is her favorite book she's written. I was with you completely -- really wasn't one of her best to me.

I'm considering reading "Change of Heart" the next time I go for a Picoult book.

The only two that didn't sit right with me were TheTenth Circle and 19 Minutes. If I'd read either one of those two before any of her others, I probably wouldn't have read any more.

Well 19 Minutes was the first JP book I ever read (on recommendation) and it blew me away. I've now only got about 4-5 of hers to get and 19 Minutes is still one of my favourites. Made me think (really think!) and made me see things from so many different points of view.

As others have suggested I'd recommend Change of Heart too.

• 3 weeks later...

As I chose this for my last Hangman game, thought I'd have a look for a thread on it and post my comments (originally reviewed on my personal blog):

Dr Alfred Jones is a fisheries scientist for the National Centre for Fisheries Excellence, who receives a laughable request to create a habitat suitable to introduce salmon into the highlands of the Yemen. Dismissing it as an unachievable folly, he is soon drawn into the project which is politically important for not only his government agency, but for the entire British government. While working on what initially seems an impossible proposal, Dr Jones gradually learns to appreciate the vision of a rich Sheikh with a passion for salmon fishing, embarking on a journey that will change his life forever.

I was completely enchanted by this book, which came as a breath of fresh air after reading what has seemed like a seemingly endless run of dour, depressing novels (that is, aside from my forays into chick-lit). A fresh approach to story telling, using various styles of reportage, from diaries to emails, PM

• 1 month later...

I know this is a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Has any of you lovely people read "The Sonnets" by Warwick Collins? It's a historical novel re: the love triangle behind Shakespeare's sonnets, it's meant to be really good but that is besides the point.

My dissertation is about translating the sonnets and I already have found a place in there for another fictional account of how they came to be written (Oscar Wilde's "The Portrait of Mr. W.H."), the idea being that fiction - if it taps into emotional/artistic Truths - can be as valuable an aid to translation as the more traditional literary criticism.

The problem is, I only have enough wordcount to concentrate on three sonnets (55, 107 and 123) and a single theme (art vs. mortality); hence if Collins's book focuses on other themes entirely, it would be a waste of

• 3 weeks later...

... the Novels of the Promethean age by Elizabeth Bear? I've managed to buy the second installment, "Hell and Earth", not realising it was a sequel (I'm getting better at this, at least it's not book four...) - really want to read it but I wonder whether it's one of those series best read in order, or if the books are fairly standalone? Please advise.

Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks?

I've only read Birdsong by Faulks a WW1 novel,which was excellent,and I think is currently being filmed.

I haven't read On Green Dolphin Street yet, but I have it on my 'to read' pile. My Mum read it (it was her who passed it on to me) and really enjoyed it and we have similar taste in books so I have high hopes.

We both loved Birdsong. ;)

ETA: I didn't know they were making it into a film! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127876/fullcredits#cast

Edited by Janet

I have read 'Green Dolphin Street', and I enjoyed it. It was some time ago, so my memories of it are vague, but I had that "Oh yes, I liked that!" thought when I read your query! ;)

Thanks,it's on the TBR list. :D

I haven't, but I would hazard a guess that Chesilbeach has! ;) (You watch, I'll be completely wrong.) :motz:

Yes, you're wrong, Mia! ;) My username comes from my favourite place in the world, which was unfortunately hijacked by Mr McEwan after I started using it ;). I've read another of his books (Saturday), and didn't like it, and have not been encouraged to pick up any others.

Gah, I knew it! ;) That'll teach me to try and make logical assumptions! (Out of interest, where exactly is Chesil Beach?)

:motz: I was gonna suggest exactly the same thing! Only I did spend about 20 mins having a look on chesilbeach's blog before I did and couldn't see anywhere that she had read it (great blog btw chesil ;) ) so I didn't :D At least now I know ;)

Going off-topic, I started using chesilbeach as a username before Mr McEwan hijacked it for his book, and I chose it because it's just my favourite place to be. I love the cafe on the beach at Burton Bradstock where I can sit with a lovely cup of coffee and read a book looking out at the fantastic Jurassic coastline of Dorset. We used to go on holiday there when I was a child, and I still visit regularly now. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and if anyone wants to see what it looks like, there's a website http://www.chesilbeach.org

Anyway ... back on topic, there is a thread with some reviews of On Chesil Beach here http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4494

Edited by chesilbeach

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone read Firmin: Adventures of a Metropolitan Lowlife by SamSavage? I saw it in Waterstones today and from the blurb it looked pretty interesting. I want some first hand feedback if possible.

Yes, I have and I loved it. It's really, really quirky and really, really sad. A story of a rejected rat living in the basement of a bookshop .. forced to eat pages from a book out of hunger and necessity. By doing so he finds he can suddenly understand the words printed on them. He discovers a love of literature, a love of the movies and Fred and Ginger, a love for Norman the bookseller and a need to communicate and converse with humans.

Obviously you have to do a fair amount of suspending disbelief because it is rather whimsical but none the worse for that.

There are some adult scenes in the book though (this is not at all a Disneyesque tale) .. Firmin talks about the 'Lovelies' both in the seedy movies that he goes to watch and the magazines .. and some people might be offended by the content.

But mostly he talks about books .. and his longing to find a kindred spirit amongst the humans.

I did not know where to ask, so I will try here.

Has anyone any idea where I could find an online translation, or even a sample of the Brothers Kamazarov by Doevstoyosky translated from the Russian to GERMAN?

Me, I am exhausted searching on the net and have found nothing so far. And yet I am sure the book has been translated into many other languages other than English or French.

Any help would be so gratefully recieved. Merci for you time.

Hm, has anyone read The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist? I'd never heard of this book and it just seemed to jump out to me on the shelves. I'm about 150 pages in and loving it so far. It is a very well written book, quite detailed at 750 pages - small text as well. Any feed-back would be nice because it's just one of those books that I don't think many people have heard of and it's certainly very intriguing.