Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

Only 3 months left in the year!

I am back from the book fair. I restrained myself very well and had one of my smallest book hauls ever—around 70 books. I haven't had time to list them yet because I had to dive straight back into work when I got home, but I'll try to list the non-fiction books later today.

I'm still reading Inkheart, which is going nicely.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome Kylie! Do you know how big your biggest haul was? 70 books sounds amazing to me XD. I'm glad you had fun and that you're enjoying Inkheart. I'm reading Stephen King - It, which I'm enjoying a lot. It is however a big epic story so when there was a new part approaching I took a break to process the things I'd just read. So far the characters are interesting, though I perhaps slightly prefer some over others, but they're all great to read about.

Only 3 months left in the year!

And only 85 days until Christmas!  :D  :lurker:

I'm trying to decide which book to buy for my friend.  I buy her a book every year for Christmas and her birthday (in June).  I've chosen some she's loved (The Kite Runner, The Help, The Elephant Keeper...) and some that she hasn't (Stardust, one that I bought on impulse which I hadn't read - I don't recall the title as she said it wasn't up to much...).  I think I've made up my mind but it feels like such a difficult decision this year!  I don't think she knows of this forum, but I'd better not post what it is just in case! 

Just finished Shadowland by C.M.Gray,a kind of pre-King Arthur novel on my kindle. Started The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell,the 7th in his warrior series. Also lining up Wolf's Head by Steven A McKay,a new Robin Hood series for the kindle.

I finally received The Kraken Wakes in the mail yesterday, so will start as soon as I finish All Souls:crazy:

Yay! :D

I finished Valentine Grey in the early hours of this morning, and have now started Dead in the Water by Carola Dunn, the next Dairy Dalrymple book. :smile2:

I've finished Broken Homes. I like the twist a lot. Too many series just take a book or two to establish status quo and then keep that up for fear of changing a working formula.

Edited by Sakura

Only thing I have time to read in October is philosophy for my exam at the end of the month. Sooooooo much to read, equally as much to memorize, which is not my strongest quality! 

Good luck with your exam, emelee!

I'm at page 229 of IT by Stephen King. It's going well though I think progression is slightly slower for two reasons, one being that the book is heavy to hold and two that I'm saving up slightly for the upcoming read-a-thon.

I noticed The Kraken Wakes was the RC book for this month so last night, just out of curiosity, I dug out my old copy (I read it in 1981, when I was at school  :o ) and read the first page - then I just kept reading, and brought it with me today, so I guess I might be commenting in an RC thread for the first time ever :o  :D

I've started reading The Class by Erich Segal. Initially it didn't really stick, but I think I'm getting into it now. Makes me think of GG. And that one movie with Robin Williams as the professor. Captain o Captain -stuff. And The Secret History.

Sometimes I'm really jealous that other people have had boarding schools and campuses and stuff. Such fun! Although I might've hated it...

And The Secret History.

Sometimes I'm really jealous that other people have had boarding schools and campuses and stuff. Such fun! Although I might've hated it...

Brilliant book ... hope you enjoy it frankie :) I know I would've hated boarding school and university but it's never stopped me wishing I had gone there. In reality though I've always hated being away from home for more than five mins. I just want to eat sausages at midnight and go skinny dipping but I guess I could do that anyway :blush2: .. and there's no-one here to sneak on me but then there's no-one to giggle with either :( Oh man!! .. why can't I be fictional? :D 

I'm sure Claire will be happy to have you on board Steve :) .. have you read Titus Groan? If you have I'll expect to see you next month .. no excuses (apart from the one where you haven't read the book :blush2:)

why can't I be fictional? :D 

I thought you were! :o

I'm sure Claire will be happy to have you on board Steve :) .. have you read Titus Groan? If you have I'll expect to see you next month .. no excuses (apart from the one where you haven't read the book :blush2:)

I haven't read it, I'm afraid, and it would likely mean reading the whole trilogy, wouldn't it?  Assuming I liked it  :shrug:  I'll have a think about it :smile:

I found a library with english books too .. and some of them are NEW!!!! :exc:

I found The Book Thief.. ok not so new, but still not tranlated in italian. Now I can read some of the books you mentioned here in this forum and maybe I could emprove my poor english too.. unless it's too late for that! :blush2:

I noticed The Kraken Wakes was the RC book for this month so last night, just out of curiosity, I dug out my old copy (I read it in 1981, when I was at school  :o ) and read the first page - then I just kept reading, and brought it with me today, so I guess I might be commenting in an RC thread for the first time ever :o  :D

Brilliant! :D

I'm going to read it too but I haven't started it yet.  :)

Pleased to see some more readers of The Kraken Wakes!  I'm going to try and answer the questions later on.

I've read a couple more chapters of Dead in the Water, but hoping to settle down with it for a couple of hours this evening.

We had a day out today and found a couple of 1970s Beano annuals in a second hand book shop (both of which OH actually remembers owning, but they were a bit early for me), so I'm dead excited to read these, as they have some of my favourites in. :smile2:

Brilliant book ... hope you enjoy it frankie :) 

It's not the same exactly, there is no mystique, but there are the campuses, clicks, and the Greek authors :) It's okay so far :) And I do like Erich Segal :yes:

I know I would've hated boarding school and university but it's never stopped me wishing I had gone there. In reality though I've always hated being away from home for more than five mins. I just want to eat sausages at midnight and go skinny dipping but I guess I could do that anyway :blush2: .. and there's no-one here to sneak on me but then there's no-one to giggle with either :( Oh man!! .. why can't I be fictional? :D 

I know what you mean! I think I might've been too shy for it when I went to uni, but I think I would've liked it after I'd matured a bit... Maybe you and I ought to take up something at Oxford and go live on a campus together :D It would be a hoot! Or is Cambridge closer... When Alan came to visit I could go and stay at your house to house sit and cat sit :)

I found The Book Thief.. ok not so new, but still not tranlated in italian. Now I can read some of the books you mentioned here in this forum and maybe I could emprove my poor english too.. unless it's too late for that! :blush2:

That's amazing news, I'm sooooo happy for you!!! :D:friends3::readingtwo:   Maybe you could see if you could find a copy of Augusten Burroughs's Dry at that library, and cancel the order at the other one, the one that hasn't still delivered it to you :censored:   I'm sure you're going to spend quite a while now, checking out which books they have... Happy times! :D

I've started reading The Class by Erich Segal. Initially it didn't really stick, but I think I'm getting into it now. Makes me think of GG. And that one movie with Robin Williams as the professor. Captain o Captain -stuff. And The Secret History.

Ooh, this sounds like an interesting book. Yes, I've always wondered what uni and boarding schools would be like. And American schools in particular, with their cafeterias and Glee clubs and cheerleaders and whatnot. It has always fascinated me. My schools were sooo boring in comparison!

Oh, brilliant, Eleonora! The Book Thief is such a terrific read. Your English is already excellent, but I'm still happy you've found some English books to read. I always worry that things get lost in translation, so it might be nice for you to read some books in the original language.

Ooh, this sounds like an interesting book. Yes, I've always wondered what uni and boarding schools would be like. And American schools in particular, with their cafeterias and Glee clubs and cheerleaders and whatnot. It has always fascinated me. My schools were sooo boring in comparison!

I know, so fascinating! Although I do think that the British boarding schools must be fun, too... I really want to go and read now :D

Oh, brilliant, Eleonora! The Book Thief is such a terrific read. Your English is already excellent, but I'm still happy you've found some English books to read. I always worry that things get lost in translation, so it might be nice for you to read some books in the original language.

Yeah, what Kylie said! :she: Your English is great! :cool:

Edited by frankie

I've got to page 278/410 of Telling Tales and  (what a coincidence) as I was reading about the past of a particular character. I just started to like the book a bit more as well.  :wink: