What's up in September?

Kell

Completely understand Kay, I hate the blighters too and we've had several enormous ones turn up as well.  They just wander right in to the living room like they live here, not a care in the world and I end up stood on the sofa shouting for help!

Last Friday I encountered a hand size one at work and had to really control myself in front of my new colleagues.  Normally there would have been screams and tears as I ran away but I had to be grown up about it and walk past it like I wasn't bothered!  I then spent the rest of the day scrutinising the walls and ceiling to make sure it didn't come and get me!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We see all the house spiders in Autumn because this is their mating time folks! Normally they are quiet and unassuming creatures but Nature makes them bold in their quest for a mate, so you will see them out and about at all times of day [normally they come creeping out at night time to hunt for crumbs and insects.]We have some 'humdingers' here sizewise, and although I don't like them at all, try and eliminate them otherwise they end up in my slippers, but am not very brave about it [OH always saves them and puts them out, I think they come galloping right back inside though!.]I know they are harmless, but yuk. :hide: 

Completely understand Kay, I hate the blighters too and we've had several enormous ones turn up as well.  They just wander right in to the living room like they live here, not a care in the world and I end up stood on the sofa shouting for help!

Last Friday I encountered a hand size one at work and had to really control myself in front of my new colleagues.  Normally there would have been screams and tears as I ran away but I had to be grown up about it and walk past it like I wasn't bothered!  I then spent the rest of the day scrutinising the walls and ceiling to make sure it didn't come and get me!

It's a totally irrational fear but I just can't help it ... and now I hear that poisonous ones are on the increase here :hide:  that just puts the tin hat on it :D A 'hand sized one'???? :o .. oh dear .. think I would have totally embarrassed myself in front of new colleagues. I know all about the 'keeping watch' thing though :lurker:  :D .. pesky things .. why can't they leave us alone?? I don't go outside climbing into bushes and infiltrating their webs .. I'd expect to get turfed out or squashed if I did. When does it get too cold for spiders? .. I'm wishing for that now :D 

We see all the house spiders in Autumn because this is their mating time folks! Normally they are quiet and unassuming creatures but Nature makes them bold in their quest for a mate, so you will see them out and about at all times of day [normally they come creeping out at night time to hunt for crumbs and insects.]We have some 'humdingers' here sizewise, and although I don't like them at all, try and eliminate them otherwise they end up in my slippers, but am not very brave about it [OH always saves them and puts them out, I think they come galloping right back inside though!.]I know they are harmless, but yuk. :hide: 

Is there an end to it gardengirl? .. when does their mating season end? .. next week? *looks hopeful* :D My cat used to eat them but she's got jolly lazy about it now .. I'm thinking of giving her less to eat this autumn to make her keener ;):D

I am back from vacation. Drove about 2450 miles total.

That's a long way muggle.  If I did that I'd end up in either Australia or Antarctica. :giggle2:

Yeah Muggles, if you're that keen on driving, you could have done that a couple more times and driven all the way here!!  :D

The trip and vacation was a good one. Some parts of the drive were just gorgeous.  The Hudson River Valley in New York State was beautiful. It sits between two mountain ranges and when seen from a high point on the mountain it is just breathtaking. The Hudson River where we crossed it was 2 miles wide. Parts of Pennsylvania up near Wilkes-Barre and Scranton were also beautiful. Driving down the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia is also beautiful especially in Southwest Virginia where you really see the rolling hills. Southwest Virginia was the setting of the David Baldacci book....."Wish You Well", a wonderful book to read which is guaranteed to make you laugh, make you cry, make you sad, and make you happy.

The vacation itself in Bar Harbor, Maine which is actually on Mount Desert island was one of the better vacations. Acadia National Park is a place you never get tired of. One evening while we were having dinner (yes, lobster) we could see the moon just coming up over the Ocean and watched it while it rose and got brighter....just gorgeous.

Edited by muggle not

Jealous, Muggle!  Sounds like a dream trip :D  A few years ago a friend and I drove through New England for 2 weeks and it was one of the best vactions I've had.  You're right about Acadia National Park, too, it's beautiful!

I'd love to see more of New York.  I've only ever been to Manhattan but a lot of my ancestors settled around where you guys visited, I think.  They were in Ulster and Dutchess counties, which is part of the HRV, isn't it?

I came back to work for a half day yesterday, and today I'm here all day.  I have a brace on my wrist but even without it my hand feels good.  I get the stitches taken out tomorrow, yeah! 

Oh Muggle, that sounds so wonderful, shall we swap holidays next year? :D

Glad that you are healing up ok Peacefield, and on a motherly note make sure you so what the doctor says! :flowers2:

We had a new fridge freezer delivered today, only to discover that the gap is was supposed to fit into was a tad slimmer at the bottom (unlike me :giggle: ). 20 minutes of girly-macho shuffling, and some rather unladylike swearing and I have managed to get the darned thing to fit. God help us if we ever have to move it out of the gap in the future! :giggle2:

A couple photos from Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.

Chrissy - would love to swap vacations, sounds like a good deal for both. Poppy though wants me to drive to NZ next year. :)

Peacefield - what did you do to your wrist arm?

Edited by muggle not

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! :D

Muggle, I had carpal tunnel surgery performed on my left hand back on the 12th.  Good times!

Your photos are beautiful!  That last one, is that from the top of Cadillac mountain? 

I've just started my university this week and I have a terrible schedule! I have class 3.00 pm to 9:00 pm!!! the worst thing is I live an hour away from my university so in the night I arrive at my home at 10:00 pm!!

I don't like spiders either!! Not at all, I even uncapable of killing it!! when I saw one in my bedroom I have to call my brother!! :(

Muggle it's sound that a beautiful trip!!!

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!  :D

Muggle, I had carpal tunnel surgery performed on my left hand back on the 12th.  Good times!

Your photos are beautiful!  That last one, is that from the top of Cadillac mountain? 

Best wishes from me on a fast recovery.

Yes, from the top of Cadillac mountain. Photos do not do justice to the views.

That stinks Sabry. When I attended classes at uni, the last one was 5pm.  Sometimes it was dark when I got home.  I wouldn't want to be getting home at 10pm.  I'm now doing correspondence, so no worries about getting to and from classes.

I can't imagine our lecturers working outside office hours, can you bookmonkey? That does stink Sabry, there's the safety issue of getting home at that time too and most students can't afford their own transport.

Sabry, that's a bad time of night to have to get home from school.  Is there any chance of shifting your schedule?

We installed Windows 8 on my computer yesterday, it went pretty smoothly.  It's great, I love it!

I also caught up all the computers (that we don't always use, laptops) on Norton.  grrrrr! 

I've just started my university this week and I have a terrible schedule! I have class 3.00 pm to 9:00 pm!!! the worst thing is I live an hour away from my university so in the night I arrive at my home at 10:00 pm!!

x

This sounds really terrible, Sabry! I wish you lots of luck, it sounds difficult :(. I hope you can still get home easily and safely. The unis in the Netherlands do classes in the morning and afternoon, not in the evening, as far as I know. Though there was once a plan to also have lectures and exams on Saturday (which I'm glad was rejected). Good luck :(.

Sabry, that sounds bad, and not very student friendly. Are there many classes that end that late?

Muggle, the best views are never properly captured are they? I always hope that my snaps will jog my memory enough to remember the scene in all it's glory.  

Best wishes from me on a fast recovery.

Yes, from the top of Cadillac mountain. Photos do not do justice to the views.

Thanks mucho, Muggle! :D

I remember the top of Cadillac mountain... it was so beautiful it was hard to leave!  It was super windy, though, and kind of cold, and some lame person insisted on yelling into his cell phone "I'M IN ACADIA NATIONAL PARK!"  Talk about annoying.

I usually had one night class a term when I was in college, but I lived in the dorms and they were connected by skyways so going home at night wasn't bad, Sabry.  I also had weekend classes, ugh.  Keep in mind this was all so I wouldn't have to get up before 9:00am every day and I also had one day off every week :lol:

Thanks mucho, Muggle!  :D

I remember the top of Cadillac mountain... it was so beautiful it was hard to leave!  It was super windy, though, and kind of cold, and some lame person insisted on yelling into his cell phone "I'M IN ACADIA NATIONAL PARK!"  Talk about annoying.

I usually had one night class a term when I was in college, but I lived in the dorms and they were connected by skyways so going home at night wasn't bad, Sabry.  I also had weekend classes, ugh.  Keep in mind this was all so I wouldn't have to get up before 9:00am every day and I also had one day off every week :lol:

Peacefield - It seems like windy and cold are a normal part of Cadillac mountain. :) I remember once we were there and everyone had their jackets and hoods fastened tight and we were all shivering. But, like you say the view is so beautiful that it is worth the "numbness". :)

The first sunrise of the day in the U.S. is usually seen from the top of Cadillac as it is the highest point on the U.S. Eastern seaboard. And, talk about annoying people, nothing annoys me so much as people not paying attention to the signs about staying on the rock and paths and not damaging the plant life as it takes the plants many, many, years to grow on this rocky granite.

What are your offices hours? I mean where are you from at what time people go back to home?

Here in Spain people usually go home at 8pm more or less but the uni is different, they have his our schedule and this year I go home very late! I usually dinner at 9.30 but I think I can't do this anymore, Thurdsay I finished dinner at 10.30!! Too late! I'm glad because I can't to get up early so that's great and I have all the morning to study but... I wish I could go home a bit early. And I have Friday off so that's awesome, 3 days off uni!!!

pontalba there are not any chance of shifting my shedule because the professor said that they have other class in the morning and the class are ocupied, so it's not possible.

Chrissy well I have class until 9pm all days and there are other degrees that have class at that time too. Even there are degrees that have class until 9.30 or 10, so considering that my schedule is not the worst.

Peacefiled I'm sorry but what is a skyways  exactly?

Athena Easily... well more or less I have to take 2 different buses because I live in the outskirts, that's because I arrive to my home at 10. But safely I hope so.

Sorry for my English level, I'm learning.