What's up in September?

Kell

I have had a good few days. On Friday a friend of mine; who I haven´t seen for a year, surprised me by turning up at my door, it was fab to catch up. Then this weekend, I´ve been out to listen to some live music, my friend´s band and a guitarist that I hadn´t had the chance to see yet. My night was ruined though, as when I got home my neighbour, who is notoriously noisy, decided to play loud music at full blast for most of the night. Songs included a rap/metal version of.... wait for it..... ´Jingle Bells! I think i´ve heard everything now..... :roll:

Tomorrow, I have to queue for several hours to register for my art class. I´m looking forward to getting back to painting again.....I have been so lazy during summer.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You definitely did the right thing Charlie - and hopefully it will teach the girl a lesson in responsibility. It was exactly what I would have done too, and you have no reason to feel guilty at all.   

I am cream crackered after a very busy and stressful weekend at work. During the week there are usually at least 3 housekeepers on duty, but as most of them only work Monday to Friday, there is only one of us at the weekends. I work one weekend, while one of my other colleagues does the next one. While it is true that we only have to clean the bathrooms in this situation and respond to emergencies such as a resident making a mess on the carpet, having to clean 67 bathrooms on your own is still quite a daunting task. On Thursday though they dropped the bombshell that from  now on they also want us to start doing the laundry ! As a result I finished work at 3.30 today with a horrendous headache and feeling like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Following a very thorough and extremely painful deep heat massage from Coran I am feeling much better, but I not relishing the thought of having to do this again in 2 weeks time and every 2 weeks after that, whether my colleague has already been doing it for months without my knowing about it or not. I don't know what the solution is, but it is not to make existing staff work even harder, especially not when the carers seem to sit around all day gossiping. That though is a whole other story.

I will be very glad though when 4th October rolls round and I have another week off - I will be even happier on 7th when I am off to Iceland for 5 days to hopefully see the Northern Lights. I am just waiting for this months credit card statement to be processed (which will hopefully be tomorrow) before I book the relevant bus tours. One of the other things I shall be arranging is a long soak in the Blue Lagoon. :smile:  

Edited by Talisman

Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone - I always miss this place when I'm away :).  My carpal tunnel surgery went off without a hitch and I've been recuperating nicely.  Already have the bandage off but it sure isn't pretty!  Stitches are still there and won't come out for another week or so.  I'm off work this week and will continue to recover.

I hope everyone is well and I will check in again soon! :D

I have had a good few days. On Friday a friend of mine; who I haven´t seen for a year, surprised me by turning up at my door, it was fab to catch up. Then this weekend, I´ve been out to listen to some live music, my friend´s band and a guitarist that I hadn´t had the chance to see yet. My night was ruined though, as when I got home my neighbour, who is notoriously noisy, decided to play loud music at full blast for most of the night. Songs included a rap/metal version of.... wait for it..... ´Jingle Bells! I think i´ve heard everything now..... :roll:

Tomorrow, I have to queue for several hours to register for my art class. I´m looking forward to getting back to painting again.....I have been so lazy during summer.

x

I'm glad you had some fun :)

You definitely did the right thing Charlie - and hopefully it will teach the girl a lesson in responsibility. It was exactly what I would have done too, and you have no reason to feel guilty at all.   

I am cream crackered after a very busy and stressful weekend at work. During the week there are usually at least 3 housekeepers on duty, but as most of them only work Monday to Friday, there is only one of us at the weekends. I work one weekend, while one of my other colleagues does the next one. While it is true that we only have to clean the bathrooms in this situation and respond to emergencies such as a resident making a mess on the carpet, having to clean 67 bathrooms on your own is still quite a daunting task. On Thursday though they dropped the bombshell that from  now on they also want us to start doing the laundry ! As a result I finished work at 3.30 today with a horrendous headache and feeling like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Following a very thorough and extremely painful deep heat massage from Coran I am feeling much better, but I not relishing the thought of having to do this again in 2 weeks time and every 2 weeks after that, whether my colleague has already been doing it for months without my knowing about it or not. I don't know what the solution is, but it is not to make existing staff work even harder, especially not when the carers seem to sit around all day gossiping. That though is a whole other story.

I will be very glad though when 4th October rolls round and I have another week off - I will be even happier on 7th when I am off to Iceland for 5 days to hopefully see the Northern Lights. I am just waiting for this months credit card statement to be processed (which will hopefully be tomorrow) before I book the relevant bus tours. One of the other things I shall be arranging is a long soak in the Blue Lagoon. :smile:

x

I'm sorry to hear things are tough at work. I wish you a lot of fun in your holidays :)!

x

Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone - I always miss this place when I'm away :). My carpal tunnel surgery went off without a hitch and I've been recuperating nicely. Already have the bandage off but it sure isn't pretty! Stitches are still there and won't come out for another week or so. I'm off work this week and will continue to recover.

I hope everyone is well and I will check in again soon! :D

x

I'm glad the surgery went well and that recovery is going nicely. Good luck! 

x

Am meeting Claire for a coffee tomorrow morning :) ... very much looking forward to it.

x

Have fun :)!

I've been in a bit of a bad mood during some of the past few days, because the government wants me to pay them money. It has to do with studying and the money I was given while I studied. Thing is, last year I had to pay too and they told me that that was the last time I'd have to pay. The money given to me after that year doesn't, as far as I know, total up to the amount they want me to pay now (I think it is less than that). So I'll have to phone (I really don't like talking on the phone with strangers). Most likely though, I'll have to pay anyway, I think, and maybe still more after that. My diploma also isn't yet appearing on my profile page of this site, so I'll have to see what to do about that. So I'm in a bit of a bad mood now and then because I'm losing some of my savings. Also, I just want to be done with university and the whole studying thing. I don't want to have to worry or think about it anymore. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer. I'll phone them in a few days and see what they can tell me about what's going on.

Other than that, I'm doing allright. I've had fun the past few days. My boyfriend will soon go back to the UK again :(. Gladly though he should be coming back for my birthday, so hopefully I won't have to miss him too long :).

Husband and I got home today from our week of roaming around.

We left last Tuesday and drove down through France, stopping for lunch in Luxembourg. We stayed overnight near the Swiss border, and after darting into Germany (for the heck of it) headed through Switzerland via the San Gotthard Pass - a fabulously high and winding road with fantastic views and cows wearing huge cow bells. :DWe spent five days dashing about bits of northern Italy (mainly Lake Garda), taking boat trips, a cable car ride and a couple of scenic railway journeys and enjoying some wonderful long walks and delightful meals.

We are tired and happy, and feel as though we have been away from our life for months. Such a wonderful time - I can't believe how lucky I am. All I can add is that everyone we encountered (aside from one rude woman at an Italian railway station) were engaging, enlightening, fun and helpful - it's truly amazing how a few shared words can create a whole conversation between people. So many smiles. :smile:

Chrissy, your trip sounds absolutely fantastic!!  Everything is so varied and interesting that you've listed.  And phooey on the one in the Italian railway station.

Although I have to admit the drive on the San Gotthard Pass sounds a bit scary.  But fun! :D

We made another road trip today to the Gulf Coast...I should take pics.  Will next time, for sure!

Visited our favorite book shop and had a delish salad lunch. 

Husband and I got home today from our week of roaming around.

We left last Tuesday and drove down through France, stopping for lunch in Luxembourg. We stayed overnight near the Swiss border, and after darting into Germany (for the heck of it) headed through Switzerland via the San Gotthard Pass - a fabulously high and winding road with fantastic views and cows wearing huge cow bells. :DWe spent five days dashing about bits of northern Italy (mainly Lake Garda), taking boat trips, a cable car ride and a couple of scenic railway journeys and enjoying some wonderful long walks and delightful meals.

We are tired and happy, and feel as though we have been away from our life for months. Such a wonderful time - I can't believe how lucky I am. All I can add is that everyone we encountered (aside from one rude woman at an Italian railway station) were engaging, enlightening, fun and helpful - it's truly amazing how a few shared words can create a whole conversation between people. So many smiles. :smile:

So happy you are home safe and sound and you had such a wonderful time :hug:

Sounds like a wonderful trip Chrissy - I have my own one to look forward to 2 weeks on Monday when I am off to Iceland. This months credit card statement has finally been processed, so I have booked all the tours that I was waiting for. I will weather permitting be going to see the Northern Lights 5 hours after I land on Monday 7th October. It is always best to go out as early in your trip as possible to maximise your chances. The company I am going with offer you a second tour for free if you don't see anything on the first night, so I have a very good chance. I have booked a few other things as well, including a visit to the Blue Lagoon, which is the best cure for tension I have ever come across. It's a pity I can't go straight away, as after the week I have had I could really do with it !

I am enjoying my 2nd of 3 days off from work. Normally I would have gone into Guildford today but with the Tour of Britain on its Surrey stage today, and set to finish with a sprint up the High Street, and half the roads closed, thought it would be best to go yesterday instead. Yesterday then was for me a busy day with a trip to Guildford in the morning to get a second pair of winter walking trousers (it was hard to think of the typical Reykjavik October temperatures of 4 degrees when it so warm yesterday) and a new head torch, as I expect to be doing a fair amount of night time walking chasing the Northern Lights. I always have to get my trousers taken up, being somewhat shorter than average, so I have to order them in plenty of time. After that it was a visit to Sainsbury's to restock the fridge.

I was in 2 minds as to where I wanted to watch the cycling today - stage 7 starts from Epsom Racecourse at 12 noon before coming through Ashtead and Leatherhead, and then down the A246 where I work (thank goodness it's my weekend off) and then across Ranmore Common to Dorking and Leith Hill before heading into Guildford. I thought about Ranmore and Leith Hill, as the views would be brilliant from up there, but the roads close at 11am and the race is not due until at least 12.30, so it would be a lot of hanging around with no toilets or refreshments, plus you never know how long it will be before the roads reopen again, I need to visit M&S in Dorking as they didn't have my size in Guildford yesterday, so it's the easiest option. 

Today is of course also International Peace Day and a friend of mine will be in the High Street signing peace songs and trying to raise the energy, so it would be nice to also see her and join in.   

Edited by Talisman

Sounds like a wonderful trip Chrissy - I have my own one to look forward to 2 weeks on Monday when I am off to Iceland. This months credit card statement has finally been processed, so I have booked all the tours that I was waiting for. I will weather permitting be going to see the Northern Lights 5 hours after I land on Monday 7th October. It is always best to go out as early in your trip as possible to maximise your chances. The company I am going with offer you a second tour for free if you don't see anything on the first night, so I have a very good chance. I have booked a few other things as well, including a visit to the Blue Lagoon, which is the best cure for tension I have ever come across. It's a pity I can't go straight away, as after the week I have had I could really do with it !

I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights, Talisman. I hope you can take some of your stunning photos. Have you read Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There? He made a special trip to Norway to see the Northern Lights and as usual he was very entertaining :D Hope you have a wonderful time :)

Enjoy Iceland Talisman.  It's a place that's always fascinated me.  I like watching the cycling too.  We had an international race here last year for the first time, and we went to watch that.  

Went to see my grandparents (Mums parents) today and my grandmother gave me a book about her family.  Due to family divisions I've never known much about her side of the family. I found out they came from England in 1873.  I'm 5th generation Kiwi on her side.  That means we're English on Nana's side, German on Grandad's side, and Scottish on my father's side and Maori on both sides somewhere.  Quite a mix.

In other news, my "baby" daughter turns 15 tomorrow!!  Where did those years go?

Not such a "baby" anymore then by the sound of it. 

I had a great day though yesterday watching the cycling - I found a prime spot just as they came round into the top of the High Street, where they had to slow down for the bend. Afterwards I went home and watched the rest of the race on ITV4 - it was a great sprint finish as always up Guildford High Street - and very close. I don't know how they do it over those cobbles.

I  expect today will be a walk up to the viewpoint followed by the usual Sunday morning political programmes on I player. The sun was supposed to be out, so I am not sure what's happened - but the day is still young.  

@ bookmonkey

Congrats with your daughter's birthday!

@ Talisman

Sounds like you had a nice trip.

My boyfriend has gone back to the UK. Gladly he'll be back in a month so I won't have to miss him for too long if all is well :). I miss him already. It's nice to have some time on my own, but generally we let each other do our own things anyway. I'm a bit looking forward to doing these things I plan on doing in the next little while, but I know it won't be long at all before I really miss him :wub:. I know he has to go back. In a while, hopefully, we'll live together. I'm really glad we have each other. I think we make a great match and we really care about each other.

Aww .. hope the time goes quickly for you Athena and he's soon back again. You must miss him terribly .. thank goodness for the phone and computer :)

I had a spider problem this week .. I just started cooking when I noticed this ENORMOUS spider on the kitchen wall :hide:  .. even if I was any good with the glass and cardboard thing it was totally out of my reach .. it would've meant climbing on cupboards  :no: Alan was at work and wasn't due back until morning :( Now I'm not too bad if they stay still but this bloomin thing was on the move constantly .. and hovering at times just over the hob (on the ceiling that is .. thankfully he hadn't gone into abseiling mode or else I would have totally freaked). I must have looked a right eejit darting backwards and forwards to turn the chicken over in the pan and all that (and boy was I cursing that I had started cooking before noticing because now I couldn't just ... run away!) Eventually got the chicken in the oven and put a timer on ... I actually put my dachshund draught excluder against the kitchen door so that it couldn't get out into the rest of the house :blush2: When the timer went off an hour later I didn't want to go back in there but deep breath .. no-one wants to eat cremated chicken and so I sort of Cagney and Laceyed my way back in and was relieved to spot it still on the ceiling but not too near the oven. Turned the oven off and then skedaddled. Left a note for Alan telling him to search before coming to bed .. he did search but nothing .. he moved everything .. the microwave (oh dear .. the crumbs :giggle:) the blinds .. the cat (most probably) but nope :( Today I was typing merrily away up here and he comes up the stairs saying 'I think I've found your spider .. is this it?' .. and he brings me the thing in a glass :o  :o  :o .. as if he wants me to check its passport before emptying him into next doors garden. Anyway, hopefully it was the one and same spider .. this is the second one this month .. there's always a price to pay for warm weather isn't there?

Aww .. hope the time goes quickly for you Athena and he's soon back again. You must miss him terribly .. thank goodness for the phone and computer :)

I had a spider problem this week .. I just started cooking when I noticed this ENORMOUS spider on the kitchen wall :hide:  .. even if I was any good with the glass and cardboard thing it was totally out of my reach .. it would've meant climbing on cupboards  :no: Alan was at work and wasn't due back until morning :( Now I'm not too bad if they stay still but this bloomin thing was on the move constantly .. and hovering at times just over the hob (on the ceiling that is .. thankfully he hadn't gone into abseiling mode or else I would have totally freaked). I must have looked a right eejit darting backwards and forwards to turn the chicken over in the pan and all that (and boy was I cursing that I had started cooking before noticing because now I couldn't just ... run away!) Eventually got the chicken in the oven and put a timer on ... I actually put my dachshund draught excluder against the kitchen door so that it couldn't get out into the rest of the house :blush2: When the timer went off an hour later I didn't want to go back in there but deep breath .. no-one wants to eat cremated chicken and so I sort of Cagney and Laceyed my way back in and was relieved to spot it still on the ceiling but not too near the oven. Turned the oven off and then skedaddled. Left a note for Alan telling him to search before coming to bed .. he did search but nothing .. he moved everything .. the microwave (oh dear .. the crumbs :giggle:) the blinds .. the cat (most probably) but nope :( Today I was typing merrily away up here and he comes up the stairs saying 'I think I've found your spider .. is this it?' .. and he brings me the thing in a glass :o  :o  :o .. as if he wants me to check its passport before emptying him into next doors garden. Anyway, hopefully it was the one and same spider .. this is the second one this month .. there's always a price to pay for warm weather isn't there?

Sorry Kay, but :rolol: !  I'm glad the chicken wasn't sacrificed too. 

Really, though, I know those things are scary as the dickens, and worrying about one flying through the air is enough to give anyone pause. 

I won't repeat the spider story I told on the Spider thread.......don't want any recurring nightmares on my conscience.  :hide:

He had to show it to you, didn't he!  :doh:

Sorry to hear your boyfriend had to go back Athena, I hope you get to live together soon, where do you think that might be, Holland or the UK? :)

x

In the Netherlands we think, we prefer it here (though the UK has great things too).

x

Very scary!!

I am back from vacation. Drove about 2450 miles total.

x

That's a lot of driving! Did you have fun?