Your Book Activity - June 2013

I finished reading a review book, Three Dog Night by Elsebeth Egholm yesterday. It was a great book and I hope the publishers decide to print more of her work in English. Now I am going to carry on with The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. I'm struggling to articulate my thoughts on it into a review to be honest!

In the meantime, I've started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce for the reading circle.

I finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. I'm struggling to articulate my thoughts on it into a review to be honest!

In the meantime, I've started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce for the reading circle.

Did you enjoy it though?

I finished Cassandra Clare's City of Bones, I enjoyed it enough to order the next in the series.  Reading a fair bit of non-fiction at the moment but have picked out Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt as my next fiction read.. :)

I can't multiquote on my phone (well I probably can, I just can't work out how!) so Janet and Chalie -

Yes, I did enjoy it, but I don't think it lived up to A Thousand Splendid Suns, or my (perhaps unrealistic!) expectations following that novel.

I can now entirely see what you meant about jumping time periods! I didn't find it confusing as such, but I did find it a tad frustrating in places...

I will aim to review it fully tonight. :)

I enjoyed reading it though, so don't pass it by!

:o

It's a great book :yes:  I like the sounds of your book group  :D

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake! I've been going for six and a half years now, and we've never had anything like it before, it's nearly always middle of the road popular fiction with the odd travel or biography thrown in. I'm not sure how the others ladies in their 60s and 70s in the group will take to it! :D I'm pretty confident that none of them have even come close to science fiction before now.

I've read the prologue and the first two chapters and although it's a bit strange to get your head around the concepts and unfamiliar words, it's not put me off yet, so fingers crossed I get on okay with it. :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake! I've been going for six and a half years now, and we've never had anything like it before, it's nearly always middle of the road popular fiction with the odd travel or biography thrown in. I'm not sure how the others ladies in their 60s and 70s in the group will take to it! :D I'm pretty confident that none of them have even come close to science fiction before now.

Oops :lol:  Yep, it might be a difficult one if it's their first SF book!  Stories involving time dilation do my head in as it is :lol:  How on earth did it get chosen?

I've read the prologue and the first two chapters and although it's a bit strange to get your head around the concepts and unfamiliar words, it's not put me off yet, so fingers crossed I get on okay with it. :lol:

:lol:

Well I look forward to hearing what you think of it, good, bad or indifferent  :smile:  

Oops :lol:  Yep, it might be a difficult one if it's their first SF book!  Stories involving time dilation do my head in as it is :lol:  How on earth did it get chosen?

Our librarian chooses most of the books, often based on what she can get enough copies of in time, and I think because she'd also chosen The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier, she thought it would be good to have a theme with two books with "House" in the title!

:lol:

Well I look forward to hearing what you think of it, good, bad or indifferent  :smile:

Thanks. I'm going to have to buy the Kindle book as the typeface is small and quite faint, and I'm struggling with the paperback, so I'd downloaded the sample to my Kindle to try it first. It's not one I'd usually spend money on, but as I've managed the first couple of chapters, I'm a bit happier forking out for it.

Edited by chesilbeach

Chipping away at The Pickwick Papers, they're quite easy to pick up and lay down as they are all pretty much episodic.  I'm enjoying Dickens' writing with the old style English way, very proper, and the humour takes you by surprise.  Then I switch to a gritty detective  story by Tami Hoag, quite different from some of her other writing, her newest release, The Ninth Girl.  Waiting in the wings I have Harry's Game by Gerald Seymour about the Troubles in Ireland so I have quite a mixture going.  Lots to keep me from doing anything productive around the house!   :readingtwo:

The Pickwick Papers is one of my favourite books of all.  I re-read it a couple of years ago and still found myself laughing out loud.  Good choice!

I think because she'd also chosen The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier, she thought it would be good to have a theme with two books with "House" in the title!

It's as good a reason as any I suppose :lol:

I finished Death at La Fenice today and started reading No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay.

More interestingly, I got a book in the mail today! What French Women Know: About Love, Sex and Other Matters of Heart and Mind by Debra Ollivier :cool: I'll be turning into a Frenchie in no time...

I will aim to review it fully tonight. :)

I enjoyed reading it though, so don't pass it by!

I'll be interested in your review as well Alexi as it's one of the books on my wishlist  :smile:

I finished The Ulikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry today will post my thoughts on the reading circle thread in due course. My next read is going to be Star Gazing  Linda Gillard very kindly sent to me by the lovely Inver when i mentioned that i hadn't read any of her books  :friends3:

Nearly forgot, i was in town today & had a bit of time before i met friends for lunch so i popped into the central library for a browse & came out with Wool by Hugh Howey.

I'll be interested in your review as well Alexi as it's one of the books on my wishlist  :smile:

I finished The Ulikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry today will post my thoughts on the reading circle thread in due course. My next read is going to be Star Gazing  Linda Gillard very kindly sent to me by the lovely Inver when i mentioned that i hadn't read any of her books  :friends3:

Nearly forgot, i was in town today & had a bit of time before i met friends for lunch so i popped into the central library for a browse & came out with Wool by Hugh Howey.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on Wool. I look forward to reading it one day.

I has a new bookcase . . .

Now I have to sort out my books and DVDs . . .

Been buying too many books, Raven?

I finished The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4. Very amusing stuff.

Was this your first time reading Adrian Mole? I would recommend the whole series. Great stuff, and can be read time and a time again :smile2:

I went to the library to take back all my loans, and got one reserved book! It's a chick lit kind of book by Nicolas Barreau, a French debute. The blurb sounds really great and I'm into Frenchs book at the moment, so this ought to be right up my alley :)  Unfortunately I don't think this book has been translated into English yet... (?)

Edit: That's odd! Yesterday when I was checking Amazon for Barreau books I only got the French edition, but now there are English ones, too! The book's called The Ingredients of Love :)

Edited by frankie