Your Book Activity - May 2013

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mwahahahahaha! :giggle2:

I finished A Fire Upon the Deep and am of the opinion that I need to buy everything Vernor Vinge has written.  I'm going to Forbidden Planet today - could be dangerous :hide:  :giggle2:

LOL  It does get better and better.....I'm about 2/3rds of the way through.  Fourth go-round...

I'm reading Emma on the kindle at the moment, it will be my first Rory read of the year (took a while this year), I am not taking to the character of Emma at all but I am enjoying the book generally speaking. Yesterday started Fyre by Angie Sage. It's the 7th and last book in The Septimus Heap series.

Although I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I've abandoned it already.  Not sure if it's my mood, or the philosophical slant of the book that has put me off. 

I'm dreading the end of Forever Amber, it hurts every time I read it. /sigh/groan/

I found The Elegance of the Hedgehog difficult to start with but really loved it by the end, do persevere.

I've read the first book in the Septimus Heap series and thought it was quite good. My sister owns a few of the series but I've only read the first one. I recently bought the first one on Kindle, I'll reread it and if I like it again I might have to get the other ones in the series. I assume you like it, right (or you wouldn't read up to part seven)?

I'm reading Emma on the kindle at the moment, it will be my first Rory read of the year (took a while this year), I am not taking to the character of Emma at all but I am enjoying the book generally speaking. Yesterday started Fyre by Angie Sage. It's the 7th and last book in The Septimus Heap series.

I found The Elegance of the Hedgehog difficult to start with but really loved it by the end, do persevere.

I think I will pick it up again, just not right away.  Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I've read the first book in the Septimus Heap series and thought it was quite good. My sister owns a few of the series but I've only read the first one. I recently bought the first one on Kindle, I'll reread it and if I like it again I might have to get the other ones in the series. I assume you like it, right (or you wouldn't read up to part seven)?

A friend gave me the first err 2 because he's got a box set, and I have a thing about wanting to finish series. It's fairly enjoyable but I don't find it the best series at all.

I think I will pick it up again, just not right away.  Thanks for the encouragement. :)

You're welcome

I just finished Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell.

from Amazon....Set during the Depression in the depleted farmlands surrounding Augusta, Georgia, Tobacco Road was first published in 1932. It is the story of the Lesters, a family of white sharecroppers so destitute that most of their creditors have given up on them. Debased by poverty to an elemental state of ignorance and selfishness, the Lesters are preoccupied by their hunger, sexual longings, and fear that they will someday descend to a lower rung on the social ladder than the black families who live near them.

Show more

Show less

I will now start reading God's Little Acre by Erskine Caldwell.

Edited by muggle not

I can't remember who it was, but a  poster here put me onto James Sallis.  THANK YOU! :)

I've read one of his detective stories, and have acquired the rest of the series.  Good stuff.

I've also bought two stand alones, and have started one of them.

Death Will Have Your Eyes....just started.  So far, so very good. :)

Finished Replay...excellent.  Loved it. :D

Bowing, thanking all! :flowers2:

01.gif

I've made a start on Phil Rickman's The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins Book 4) :smile:

I'm reading Emma on the kindle at the moment, it will be my first Rory read of the year (took a while this year), I am not taking to the character of Emma at all but I am enjoying the book generally speaking.

Does anyone like Emma? .. she's pretty insufferable .. even Jane Austen thought we wouldn't like her :D

Have started reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and I haven't been this boggled since Alice. Great stuff but a more flexibly minded ten year old me would probably be enjoying it more. Early days though .. I'm hanging on by my fingertips.

Having finished  Stephen Bown's excellent biography of Roald Amundsen, The Last Viking ****, have started Dominic Sandbrook's history of Britain in the period 1974-79, Seasons in the Sun.  We went to see a National Theatre Live transmission of the play This House last week - brilliant production, one of the best modern plays I've seen in years - which was based on this period and which left me wanting to learn more.  It's a big book, 800 pages, but the first 20 or 30 suggest it'll be a good read.  Not a volume I can carry around with me, so have also started reading Virginia Woolf's first novel, The Voyage Out on the Kindle, needing some respite from the steady stream of book group selections  that have all got a bit samey of late.

I've finished Diving Belles by Lucy Wood, which was simply lovely.

Have had a splurge and bought the following books:

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaranovitch
Lady Anne's Deception by M. C. Beaton    
The Marquis Takes a Bride by M. C. Beaton    
The Rising by Kelley Armstrong    
Heist Society by Ally Carter    
The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden    
Skios by Michael Frayn
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé by Joanne Harris
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
Edited by chesilbeach

Finished Death Will Have Your Eyes by James Sallis and have started Hilary Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety.

Edited by pontalba

Skios by Michael Frayn

Nice haul! :lol:

I'm at least half way through with Walking Back to Happiness by Lucy Dillon. I hope to do a lot of reading today :smile2:

Have started 'Brass Ring' by Diane Chamberlain..

x

I really enjoyed this one, I hope you do too :).

EDIT: I'm reading Charles H. Elliott & Laura L. Smith - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for Dummies on the Kindle. It won't go on this certain page of the book, I skipped past it by going to the next chapter, so far in the chapters after it I'm not having any issues. Gladly missing out one page or several pages (I'm not sure how many, but not a lot), isn't too big of a deal in a self-help book. It'd be worse in a fiction book where a plot twist may be missing.

I'm also reading Luc Swinnen - Stress is geen probleem as paperbook (Luc Swinnen is a Belgian author). I haven't read any Dutch in a while, the book is easy to read so far though (I only read maybe 10 pages, I've been reading more on the Kindle).

I want to start a story book, but I can't quite decide yet which one XD. I'm doubting between two manga's, Roald Dahl - The Witches and George R. R. Martin - A Song of Fire and Ice 1: Game of Thrones.

Edited by Athena

I've decided to put The Corrections aside for a bit and started Dry by Augusten Burroughs  (I found it Frankie! ) much better than The Corrections ;)

Wohoo! :D No offense Franzen, but Burroughs rules :giggle:

Skios by Michael Frayn

Incredibly good haul Claire :) Will be interested to see what you make of Skios. The critics seemed to love it but the reviews on Amazon were divided when I looked.

x

I keep seeing this author's name but know very little about her or the books. Can you name me more books or authors that are like this author, that I may have heard of, or can you describe what they're like? (or do you not know it exactly yourself, since you just bought them after all XD)

x

x

Not to spam up the Circle Read thread, but that's quite a coincidence :D. It's on my TBR, I haven't really heard much about it but it sounded interesting and I saw it cheap.. I haven't read it yet but if it gets chosen, it would be great to read it with the group. If it doesn't get chosen, I look forward to read/hear what you think anyway :).

I've started to (re)read Roald Dahl - The Witches (for a fiction book). I read this in Dutch when I was a child (own a hardback copy of it). It's one of my favourite Roald Dahl books. It's short (relatively speaking) so I thought it'd be a good, somewhat quick read. I planned to read quite a bit of it today but ended up doing bits of other things too, as usual XD (ie. I got a phonecall). Still, so far it's interesting. I keep thinking back of the film too, and the differences between the book and film. I saw the film more recently (that is, a few years ago) compared with when I read the book (many years ago). I'm really enjoying the book so far.