What's Up in March?

risingdawn

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could mine for free - my last pair (varifocals) cost more than £200.

I got back from Lundy on Friday (back home on Saturday after spending the night in Taunton - best to acclimatise back to 'civilisation' slowly). The island was great as always, with the usual walks and wildlife. The first few days were beautiful and sunny, like we have had today, but then it turned very cold. The streams around the island all froze, and with the wind chill, it was easily minus 5. I was very grateful then for the expensive winter walking gear that I bought in anticipation.

I am home now though and was back to work today. I did a lot of thinking while I was away about my old job and have finally accepted the fact that I had to leave. I always felt that I had been forced out by the Directors behaviour, which made it very difficult when I had so much invested in the place, but I think I have finally let it go. Work today was good - at least 2 of the residents said they had missed me, which I guess means that I must be settling in. :smile:

I get a voucher towards my glasses, but they still cost me over £200 last time, I have a very high prescription.

Not much happening here really, went to get myself waxed today...ouch!

So, the university are keeping me for another 9 months. This is a massive relief, as it means I'm not going back on jobseekers on, well, Friday! Still waiting to actually get the details of the contract laid out, but it's all good I think!

Got a university trip tomorrow to Marjons. It's essentially a Visit Day, as they have termed it. I'm unsure if it's just for people in the local area or if they have invited those who don't live in Plymouth but I'm hoping to meet the people who I will essentially be studying alongside. Would be amazing if I found some people from one of my old schools who still lives around here but I find that highly unlikely. :(

But yes, up mid-morning to have a late breakfast/early lunch at a cafe with my Mum and then she gets to sit around while I take part in "faculty activities"?!

Thanks for that Calvin cartoon, Janet!  Gave me a good laugh this morning :D

Woo-hoo, yay Noll!!  Big huge congrats to you and best of luck on your next 9 months! :D That is great news.

I need to get myself to the eye doc too one of these days.  My vision insurance through work is pretty good so I receive a set dollar amount every year for either contacts or glasses.  I'm on my last pair of contacts so I guess I know what I need!

Between yesterday and last night we had about a foot of snow fall here in the frozen northern plains (aka 30+ cm).  Good times!  Hopefully it'll get warm soon and melt all of it away because seriously, I want to go back to complaining about the heat! :lol:

Thanks guys! Also just found out I should be getting a decent chunk to take home each month so that's nice! Yay for being able to pay rent!

Aside from that, I have a headache and feel generally under the weather - I think its the toll of all the stress from the last couple of weeks catching up with me now that I can relax enough to let it!

Congrats on the job Noll, and enjoy Prague Peacefield, it's a city I have always wanted to visit.

We have had another beautiful day here, with temperatures in double digits - it's supposed to rain tomorrow though and then turn cold again. :angry: Coran and I celebrated our 15th anniversary today - she met me from work which was a nice surprise, and we went out for tea and cake. We will probably go out again for lunch at the weekend.

Edited by Talisman

Booked an eye appointment for Saturday. This will be my last year for free glasses! :o

Good luck risingdawn! Eye tests can be a pain, not necessarily looking at the pictures, but some other tests are (I don't know if they test for that where you live, it's ie. a test to do with the pressure on your eye balls).

So, the university are keeping me for another 9 months. This is a massive relief, as it means I'm not going back on jobseekers on, well, Friday! Still waiting to actually get the details of the contract laid out, but it's all good I think!

Congrats, Noll!

Off for a day in London tomorrow with my Wife, probably go to the natural history museum and/or Science museum.

Have fun Tim!

Off to Prague in a few days and it looks like I will be blessed with some half decent weather during my visit.

Have fun!

We have had another beautiful day here, with temperatures in double digits - it's supposed to rain tomorrow though and then turn cold again. :angry: Coran and I celebrated our 15th anniversary today - she met me from work which was a nice surprise, and we went out for tea and cake. We will probably go out again for lunch at the weekend.

Happy Anniversary!

I've been ill, so I haven't been on the forums much. I'm going through a bit of a tough time lately. I'm stuck with my project at the university, I'm very stressed (about my project, among other things), some other things in life. I heard last week that most likely I won't make the graduation in June, I'm really hoping I'll make the August one though. It took me some days to adjust to it, tbh I'll be really glad once it's all over, once I have my diploma I can stop worrying about uni. I did go to a book fair a few days ago which really cheered me up, I haven't catalogued all the books yet (I felt too ill), but once I feel a bit better I'll probably do so (and then put them with my other books). It's not all bad in my life, my dad got some good news yesterday to do with his job, so that's quite nice. There was also bad news yesterday, the government has decided, despite our protests, to run a cycle path through our garden. So we're not happy with that.

Yays and congrats on that!

Just wanted to share..

535377_10151330191683379_2004432645_n.jp

Heh.  Love it. :)

Congrats on the job Noll, and enjoy Prague Peacefield, it's a city I have always wanted to visit.

Congratulations! :cool:

Good luck risingdawn! Eye tests can be a pain, not necessarily looking at the pictures, but some other tests are (I don't know if they test for that where you live, it's ie. a test to do with the pressure on your eye balls).

Congrats, Noll!

Have fun Tim!

Have fun!

Happy Anniversary!

I've been ill, so I haven't been on the forums much. I'm going through a bit of a tough time lately. I'm stuck with my project at the university, I'm very stressed (about my project, among other things), some other things in life. I heard last week that most likely I won't make the graduation in June, I'm really hoping I'll make the August one though. It took me some days to adjust to it, tbh I'll be really glad once it's all over, once I have my diploma I can stop worrying about uni. I did go to a book fair a few days ago which really cheered me up, I haven't catalogued all the books yet (I felt too ill), but once I feel a bit better I'll probably do so (and then put them with my other books). It's not all bad in my life, my dad got some good news yesterday to do with his job, so that's quite nice. There was also bad news yesterday, the government has decided, despite our protests, to run a cycle path through our garden. So we're not happy with that.

Sorry you've been poorly.  Stress will do that. :(

Even though you don't want the path, they can put it through your private property??  :angry:

Edited by pontalba

I've never had a test to test the pressure. We just look at letters and then some dots that change from red to green (colour-blindness I'm guessing) whilst they change the optical lenses you're using. Though it can hurt your eyes sometimes just doing that.

Ah I didn't know that, I thought it was a common thing. Yeah true, your eyes can hurt from that, at least mine do sometimes after such a test. Good luck with it! Any particular kind of glasses you have in mind, that you want to buy?

Not too sure. I have kinda thick ones right now but I don't really think they suit me. It's probably something I will decide on the day. There's usually a small section of glasses you can choose from when you get them for free.

Tim, that sounds amazing. I love the museums in London (though I haven't been to the V & A). I hope you feel more rested soon.

Thanks! I highly recommended the V & A, beautiful building with some amazing collections.

Good going muggle! :D

Tim, sounds like a great time. :)

Well, we just returned from a jaunt across the lake this afternoon.  We went down to the French Quarter and ate at a place called Stanley's.  All the waiters/waitresses wear tee shirts with the Stanley logo...you know, from Stelllllllaaaaaaaaa!  /giggle/  Fantastic egg dishes.

Then moseyed down to the Hotel Monteleone and sat in the Carousel Bar and had a White Russian.  Sat for quite a while, then walked the 8 blocks or so to the Jeep parked by the Mississippi River.  It was a beautiful day for a drive over the lake.  Clear blue skies, and on the way back we caught the tail end of the sunset. 

Charles never fails to surprise me. :cool:

Sitting on my own at work on the last day of my internship. I feel like absolute rubbish. Head is all tired, sore and fuzzy and my vision started properly going when I first got in the door. As I am the only one here today, I have no choice but to get on with it and get through the day. I have a feeling it's going to drag. As soon as I get home, I'm going straight to sleep. On the plus side, I'm taking a week out before my contract starts, and due to Monday week being a bank holiday here, I get 10 full days off. Once I survive today.