Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I want to get Lucy 'Peaches' and 'Snow' waiting on my shelf TBR.

Hope you enjoy Jean Brodie...have you seen the film with Maggie Smith...v.g.

Well I should have read 3 books in February as I was on a roll with my reading as it were, but reading Mockingjay and finding it a bit of a slog. Should I have been able to whizz through it? I will finish it I guess, eventually.

I thought you might be one interested in Peaches, Janet. I think you'd like The Snow Child too, it's very atmospheric.

Finished Shaman's Crossing and now started The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton as an in between book before I read the rest of the Soldier Son trilogy. So far I am 23 pages in and confused by all the scientific words and the world-building. My Mum read it before me and said it was a slow start.

Have started The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin.  The same Justin Cronin of The Passage and The Twelve fame.

He really can set a scene. 

No vampires though. :D

Finished Shaman's Crossing and now started The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton as an in between book before I read the rest of the Soldier Son trilogy. So far I am 23 pages in and confused by all the scientific words and the world-building. My Mum read it before me and said it was a slow start.

How did you like Shaman's Crossing?

Sorry to hear you're confused by The Reality Dysfunction. I don't remember that much from the beginning, it kind of gripped me from the start (I love all the sciency talk). So I'm not sure if I could help you there, though if you have any specific question, I'd be happy to try and answer it.

Sorry to hear you're confused by The Reality Dysfunction. I don't remember that much from the beginning, it kind of gripped me from the start (I love all the sciency talk).

Yeah, me too.  I noticed the other day that they've re-issued the trilogy with new artwork on the cover.  Mwah!

How did you like Shaman's Crossing?

Sorry to hear you're confused by The Reality Dysfunction. I don't remember that much from the beginning, it kind of gripped me from the start (I love all the sciency talk). So I'm not sure if I could help you there, though if you have any specific question, I'd be happy to try and answer it.

Shaman's Crossing was good.The ending was alright. Really want to see how the other books are going to progress. I'm guessing that they will be based on his 2nd and 3rd years at the Academy.

The beginning is basically talking about voidhawks and planets and stuff. It's really confusing with all the big scientific words that I have no knowledge of and don't understand. I can still understand what is going on though but sometimes it's confusing. I do have a few questions. I'm guessing the voidhawks/blackhawks are spaceships and that they're connected to the Edenists brains? I didn't understand the whole egg fertilisation thing either xD Why would you need to fertilise eggs to make spaceships?!

The beginning is basically talking about voidhawks and planets and stuff. It's really confusing with all the big scientific words that I have no knowledge of and don't understand. I can still understand what is going on though but sometimes it's confusing. I do have a few questions. I'm guessing the voidhawks/blackhawks are spaceships and that they're connected to the Edenists brains? I didn't understand the whole egg fertilisation thing either xD Why would you need to fertilise eggs to make spaceships?!

Because they are living ships (quite a common sf concept, actually).  I don't want to say more than that because it would spoil the story and the fun of discovering it for yourself.  Read on and find out, basically. ;)

If you really want spoilers, though, you can look here  :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Today I received two new books in the post - The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago and Newes from the Dead by Mary Hooper. I took both of these to Book Club and allowed members to vote for which one to read next - I was just going to give them the former but I know Saramago's writing style is a bit unusual so I thought I'd give them the choice!   They did, in fact, go for it though, but I thought I'd order both anyway!

I ordered another book yesterday - The Ruins of Time by Ben Woolfenden - I Googled it after Kidsmum mentioned it and it sounds like my sort of thing.  Oh boy - when will I learn to stop buying books?!   :giggle2:

I finished The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell by Hilary Spurling this morning.  I enjoyed some parts more than others, but overall it was enjoyable.

Finished the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.  meh  Have to think. 

Not sure what is next.

Meh as in meh, the book? I'll have to pop in your thread to read the review and see if you thought as highly of it as I did :giggle2:

Hehe!  It'll never happen!  I think the world would implode if it did!  :giggle2:

Meanwhile, in counter reality: Janet did not buy one single book today, just like she didn't in the other past days for so and so years...

:giggle2:

I finished Dangerous Liaisons last night (still need to figure out what I made of it) and started reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (which I'm absolutely loving).

I'm focussing on my dissertation this month, so I'm expecting to read Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy a couple of times *yay*

Actually, I really do adore these books.

I've only read the first one.  I meant to read the other two but never got round to it.  I have them on my 'to read' list but I'm not sure where they actually are!

Meanwhile, in counter reality: Janet did not buy one single book today, just like she didn't in the other past days for so and so years...

:giggle2:

I finished Dangerous Liaisons last night (still need to figure out what I made of it) and started reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (which I'm absolutely loving).

Oi!  I'll have you know I haven't bought any new books today although I did nearly order two and am still considering them...!

I read Black Swan Green a few years ago and loved it! :)

I

Oi!  I'll have you know I haven't bought any new books today although I did nearly order two and am still considering them...!

:giggle2: I promise, I believe you! :yes:

I read Black Swan Green a few years ago and loved it! :)

This is so odd! I remember someone read the book last year or the year before that, and they didn't much like the book, and I had been thinking it might've been you or Kylie. I already asked Kylie about it but she's not read it yet, and now you say you loved it. I wonder who it was, then... But I'm happy you loved it! It's really great, I couldn't put the book down last night, I read maybe 200 pages in one sitting/lying down (minus brushing teeth and getting to bed and that sort of business). Now I can't wait to try other books by David Mitchell!

I wonder if everyone who bears the name is blessed ... :giggle::wub:

This is so odd! I remember someone read the book last year or the year before that, and they didn't much like the book, and I had been thinking it might've been you or Kylie. I already asked Kylie about it but she's not read it yet, and now you say you loved it. I wonder who it was, then... But I'm happy you loved it! It's really great, I couldn't put the book down last night, I read maybe 200 pages in one sitting/lying down (minus brushing teeth and getting to bed and that sort of business). Now I can't wait to try other books by David Mitchell!

I wonder if everyone who bears the name is blessed ... :giggle::wub:

I just checked my review and I gave it 10/10 (I score out of 5 now - much easier!).  I haven't read anything else by him though!  I think it helps that Jason is a similar age to me so lots of the references in it were very pertinent!  :D

I just checked my review and I gave it 10/10 (I score out of 5 now - much easier!).  I haven't read anything else by him though!  I think it helps that Jason is a similar age to me so lots of the references in it were very pertinent!  :D

Okay, so there's not a slight chance that it was you and you didn't completely love it because you only gave it 9/10 :D

At first I didn't understand what you meant... I thought what, Jason's 13...? Does Janet mean she feels like a 13 yo girl inside... Then it dawned on me :doh:  :D But yeah, I find it's easy to read and approachable, I was only just born when the novel starts and Jason is 12-13, but I was a little kid in the 80s and a lot of the things mentioned in the book are familiar to me, or I at least know they would've been familiar to my big bro. Of course there are British stuff I'm not familiar with, but the context is familiar... I'll always be happy that I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and wasn't a young impressionable kid of the current technological era, I think personally I might've turned out really wrong :D