What are you listening to? - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite Opeth songs, in one of their quieter moods.

I believe this is from the 'mellow' album, Damnation? It's the album that got me into Opeth :D It's one of the best albums ever made. Absolutely beautiful.

I believe this is from the 'mellow' album, Damnation? It's the album that got me into Opeth :D It's one of the best albums ever made. Absolutely beautiful.

Yeah, it's a great album.  You know me, though - I like the noisier stuff :giggle2:

Yeah, it's a great album.  You know me, though - I like the noisier stuff :giggle2:

Yes, for sure :D  But it's odd, personally, because I go for the noisier stuff too, usually, but for me that's the best album Opeth has delivered.

I'm listening to this. Apparently this song turned 20 years old this week. I feel old!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM

Edit: I think we can agree on one fact, at least: Swedes make great music :lol:

Edit: What??? Haddaway's not Swedish?? I always thought he was :blush: Bloody hell, what a day of revelations!

Edited by frankie

Yes, for sure :D  But it's odd, personally, because I go for the noisier stuff too, usually, but for me that's the best album Opeth has delivered.

Funnily enough, a similar conversation was going on over on one of the Rush forums recently.  Some were saying "I like the music but can't handle the growling", so Damnation was their favourite.  My post went something along the lines of that I struggled with the growls at first but, once they clicked with me, I now can't deal with Opeth albums that don't have them :lol:  It's true enough - Damnation and Heritage, their two clean vocals albums, are quite a way down the list of my favourite Opeth albums - but I still love Damnation, which is a sign of the quality of their output, for me :smile:  

Funnily enough, a similar conversation was going on over on one of the Rush forums recently.  Some were saying "I like the music but can't handle the growling", so Damnation was their favourite.  My post went something along the lines of that I struggled with the growls at first but, once they clicked with me, I now can't deal with Opeth albums that don't have them :lol:  It's true enough - Damnation and Heritage, their two clean vocals albums, are quite a way down the list of my favourite Opeth albums - but I still love Damnation, which is a sign of the quality of their output, for me :smile:  

Funny :D Going from one extreme to the other... But that's what sometimes happens.

It's a funny thing about growling... Whenever I try out a new band these days, I always stick my nose up if there's any growling and say I can't be bothered. And yet look at the bands I like and that do growling of one sort or another: In Flames, Killswitch Engage, ... (I'm sure there are more, but it's one of those things where the bands I've come to love despite of the growling, I don't hear it as growling anymore. I don't recognise it as such, if you know what I mean.)

Edited by frankie