What are you listening to? - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was just me, having only recently found the ability to video-skill, then I thought I'd lost the ability. Thanks Frankie  :smile: .

No problem, I'm glad it wasn't you losing your skills :D

I'm listening to Pantera: Cemetery Gates. When I was on my way to town this afternoon, I heard this great song from the radio, and afterwards the host said it was a song called... and this is where I heard Cemetery Dates... And I thought the host said it was a band called Diamondback... But I was at a crossroads and there was a lot of commotion so I'm now trying to see if I could track down the song ... It was great :)

Pantera are, or were, a fantastic metal band, Cemetery Gates is my favourite track of theirs.

It's odd, because I've never ever listened to them. None of my friends have. Although ... Is Pantera still active? I think I was the most 'metallest' head of my friend group back in the day... Coincidentally I'm currently listening to the song again, while I'm typing this, and I've been thinking I should listen to some albums by them. Any recommendations where to start?

Edit: Duh, you said 'were'  for a reason... :)

Edit 2: Oh and I've forgotten to add that yeah, Cemetery Gates was the song I heard on the radio :)

Edited by frankie

I don't know how far you read into the history of the band but the tale has a tragic twist in it. They split up because they were struggling to get along. It happens, especially in bands where drugs and alcohol are an issue and so they split up. The lead guitarist Dimebag Darrell was offered loads of guitar work including Megadeth and also Guns & Roses but when Pantera split decided to do his own thing with Damageplan. One night they were playing a gig in Ohio when an idiot got on stage and killed him and 3 others with a gun.

The lead singer Phil Anselmo is still singing these days with his own band, Down. If you like southern metal with an attitude you should check them out, they are pretty good in my opinion.

Anyway onto Pantera albums the first three are worth a listen, they are, Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven.

Track wise, these are my favourite ones.

• Cowboys From Hell
  • Cemetery Gates
  • Walk
  • F**king Hostile
  • This Love
  • 5 Minutes Alone
  • I'm Broken
  • Floods

I don't know how far you read into the history of the band but the tale has a tragic twist in it. They split up because they were struggling to get along. It happens, especially in bands where drugs and alcohol are an issue and so they split up. The lead guitarist Dimebag Darrell was offered loads of guitar work including Megadeth and also Guns & Roses but when Pantera split decided to do his own thing with Damageplan. One night they were playing a gig in Ohio when an idiot got on stage and killed him and 3 others with a gun.

I've not heard any of that :o I had no idea! I only knew the name of the band, and knew they played some sort of metal, but that was it. Wow. :(

The lead singer Phil Anselmo is still singing these days with his own band, Down. If you like southern metal with an attitude you should check them out, they are pretty good in my opinion.

I think I will definitely have to check this out, thanks! :)

Anyway onto Pantera albums the first three are worth a listen, they are, Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven.

Thanks, I've made a note of these, and will give some of them a listen! :)

In return... The best band I've discovered this year is Fair to Midland, easily. I would recommend you listen to Arrows & Anchors (you will find the whole album on youtube). Awesome band, awesome album :wub:

December is always magical :giggle: Coincidentally I listened to Kate Bush a few days ago, even songs I don't know by her, and not just the usual hits. She's one of a kind :) There's such melancholy and yet inspiration and hopefulness to her songs...

December is always magical :giggle: Coincidentally I listened to Kate Bush a few days ago, even songs I don't know by her, and not just the usual hits. She's one of a kind :) There's such melancholy and yet inspiration and hopefulness to her songs...

She is, as you say, one of a kind frankie. With her it is all about the music .. she hates promoting it and that's why we've seen so little of her (and you would have had to be very quick of the mark .. and ancient .. to have seen her in concert ... I was one but sadly not the other  :giggle:) I listen to her all the time .. some of her songs are the weirdest ever .. with donkey bv's etc but still .. very inspirational.

I love her Christmas song .. it doesn't get played like the others but it's magical .. it has an Oscar Wilde reference too  :smile: plus only Kate would sing so beautifully about the snow coming 'to cover the muck up'  :D 

She is, as you say, one of a kind frankie. With her it is all about the music .. she hates promoting it and that's why we've seen so little of her (and you would have had to be very quick of the mark .. and ancient .. to have seen her in concert ... I was one but sadly not the other  :giggle:) I listen to her all the time .. some of her songs are the weirdest ever .. with donkey bv's etc but still .. very inspirational.

I love her Christmas song .. it doesn't get played like the others but it's magical .. it has an Oscar Wilde reference too  :smile: plus only Kate would sing so beautifully about the snow coming 'to cover the muck up'  :D 

I didn't know you've seen her live ... :o Or if I did, I'd forgotten about it! Must've been bloody marvellous :)

(And this is a long shot... But I remember watching this series as a kid, where someone had this yin-yang ring, and they played Running Up That Hill in the background... I don't suppose anyone would know which series I'm talking about... I know it must've been British. Maybe American, but most likely British... I know, such a vague description! But that's where I remember that song from...)

I didn't know Kate was not a big promoter, .. in fact I don't know much about her, just some of her songs. But I have to admire her. When I was a kid and was dreaming about publishing a book, I always hated thinking about how one would have to go on promoting it. Not that I have what it takes to write a book, but if I did, I would hate all the promotional stuff. Hate it!

Back on topic: I'm having a whole lot of fun with my new headphones (Xmas pressie from parents) and am currently listening to Pearl Jam <3

I didn't know you've seen her live ... :o Or if I did, I'd forgotten about it! Must've been bloody marvellous :)

No I haven't :( I just meant I'm ancient enough to have seen her live but I didn't know that .. if i didn't get my ar*e in gear .. I'd have blown my chance forever. I think the tickets sold out quickly anyway.

(And this is a long shot... But I remember watching this series as a kid, where someone had this yin-yang ring, and they played Running Up That Hill in the background... I don't suppose anyone would know which series I'm talking about... I know it must've been British. Maybe American, but most likely British... I know, such a vague description! But that's where I remember that song from...)

I don't think I've seen it  :confused:

I didn't know Kate was not a big promoter, .. in fact I don't know much about her, just some of her songs. But I have to admire her. When I was a kid and was dreaming about publishing a book, I always hated thinking about how one would have to go on promoting it. Not that I have what it takes to write a book, but if I did, I would hate all the promotional stuff. Hate it!

Kate stopped touring after that first tour and I know she does as little as she can get away with to promote new material etc (and all of that is talking .. you don't see her performing these days.) I heard it said that she declined the lifetime achievement award at The Brits because it meant she would have to perform :( She is quite reclusive.

I always tell Alan that, if by some miracle, I ever get a book published then he will have to do all the promoting .. I'll put him in a spotty dress  :giggle2: 

Back on topic: I'm having a whole lot of fun with my new headphones (Xmas pressie from parents) and am currently listening to Pearl Jam <3

I love listening to music on headphones .. sometimes I listen to something and it's like hearing it for the first time .. I hear words that I never knew were sung  :blush2: 

No I haven't :( I just meant I'm ancient enough to have seen her live but I didn't know that .. if i didn't get my ar*e in gear .. I'd have blown my chance forever. I think the tickets sold out quickly anyway.

Oh sorry, my mistake :( It would've been brilliant, though!

Kate stopped touring after that first tour and I know she does as little as she can get away with to promote new material etc (and all of that is talking .. you don't see her performing these days.) I heard it said that she declined the lifetime achievement award at The Brits because it meant she would have to perform :( She is quite reclusive.

I wonder if it's because she was too anxious about playing live, or if she just didn't want to do it. If the former, I feel for her, if the latter, I have to take my hat off to her :)

I always tell Alan that, if by some miracle, I ever get a book published then he will have to do all the promoting .. I'll put him in a spotty dress  :giggle2: 

:lol: :lol: I'm sure David Mitchell would come in, buy a book, have it signed and ask for wee stories!! :D

I love listening to music on headphones .. sometimes I listen to something and it's like hearing it for the first time .. I hear words that I never knew were sung  :blush2: 

Here here! I had this portable CD player in my teens, and it had this feature that made the music sound like it was played 'live', and some of the CDs sounded just amazing on that one :oGuano Apes, for instant. But some sounded awful. For those I'd just go for the regular mode.

Now listening to Sentenced, this is the perfect NYE music to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPGUR7dqAo