The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mirren is always good, in whatever she plays in.  She has a way of becoming the role.  The play surprised me a little, in her relationship with Leicester.  I knew much about it, of course, but the portrayal in the film was  a bit more blatantly shown.

They overly romanticized the relationship between Elizabeth and Dudley quite a bit in the Mirren version. It's not quite as faithful as some of the other biographies.

The Last of the Mohicans.  Great film.  I remember seeing it at the cinema and spending most of it wanting Magua to get his backside handed to him in a sling.  The ending is fantastic.  Love the score, too.

If you haven't seen it beware, it's quite bloodthirsty ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9XCamPyKA

Oh my God.  I've seen the film a couple of times, but it still has this visceral impact every time.  Thanks for the link!

They overly romanticized the relationship between Elizabeth and Dudley quite a bit in the Mirren version. It's not quite as faithful as some of the other biographies.

I thought it must be.  Although, who knows what really happened.  So much was/is hidden from view.

Last night we went to see Blue Jasmine.  Cate Blanchette, Alex Baldwin

Amazing.  The disintegration of not only a marriage, that's almost incidental.  The disintegration of a woman.

Quite a take off of Streetcar Named Desire.

ParaNorman in 3D .. excellent. It was a toss up between this and Frankenweenie at the cinema last year and Frankenweenie won. We enjoyed it but having seen them both now ..  ParaNorman is better I think. Visually it's absolutely stunning and reminded us of Coraline which was also made by Laika.

ParaNorman in 3D .. excellent. It was a toss up between this and Frankenweenie at the cinema last year and Frankenweenie won. We enjoyed it but having seen them both now ..  ParaNorman is better I think. Visually it's absolutely stunning and reminded us of Coraline which was also made by Laika.

I agree! I like both but I prefer ParaNorman. It's such a great movie.

Oh, sorry, but you are both so wrong! We didn't like ParaNorman at all and felt it was dull and lifeless compared to the wit and heart in Frankenweenie, and the visuals were much more enticing for us in Frankenweenie too.

I liked Frankenweenie but I didn't know it was going to be in black and white ish colours, so the first 15 mins I was wondering when it was going to change to colour (since I had seen a trailer and thought that was in colour).

EDIT: Whoops I must've pressed the post button a bit too fast. I quite liked the film though, I liked the style and story. It was a bit emotional too in places, in my opinion. I think I may have cried at certain points.

Edited by Athena

Oh, sorry, but you are both so wrong!

:D I'm pretty much sure I'm right though Claire :giggle2: as regards to what I thought anyway :D I laughed more at ParaNorman .. loved the look of it (though loved the look of Frankenweenie too) but Frankenweenie, for me, got too predictable and worse schmaltzy. I didn't think it was on par with Corpse Bride or Nightmare before Christmas and was expecting more from Tim. But that's not to say I didn't like it .. I did .. but I just preferred ParaNorman.

We could either fight a duel or discuss the merits of each over a coffee next time we meet up .. your call  :D

Despicable Me

x

I quite liked this film! I saw the second one in the cinema a few months ago, which was nice but it wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion. It was a bit more childish and over the top, maybe I wasn't in the mood for that or something. It was still good to see, though.

:D I'm pretty much sure I'm right though Claire :giggle2: as regards to what I thought anyway :D I laughed more at ParaNorman .. loved the look of it (though loved the look of Frankenweenie too) but Frankenweenie, for me, got too predictable and worse schmaltzy. I didn't think it was on par with Corpse Bride or Nightmare before Christmas and was expecting more from Tim. But that's not to say I didn't like it .. I did .. but I just preferred ParaNorman.

We could either fight a duel or discuss the merits of each over a coffee next time we meet up .. your call  :D

Hand bags at dawn it is!  :harhar:  Actually ... thinking about it ... I've seen the size of your handbag, so maybe we'll just discuss it over coffee :giggle2: