The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the movie, but then I also like the main actor too. :)

I want to see this so badly! It's only on at the little indy theatres here (which are in Sydney), and I'll be in town on Tuesday with time to kill, so maybe I'll check it out.

It was only playing at the one theatre down in New Orleans.  I know it won't come up here.  We only get the films that are "action" or comic book sorts for the most part.  Which, some are good, but the majority we are not too interested in seeing.  I guess they are mostly for younger generations.  We've "been there, done that". 

I was planning to watch the last two Harry Potter films but realised we didn't have Deathly Hallows Part 1, so just watched Part 2 this afternoon instead.  Annoyingly, the window was reflecting in the television and as the film is so dark, I had to close the blind to even be able to see most of what was happening on screen.  Still, not bad, but not happy with some of the changes they made from the book, but then that's always a problem for us bookworms! :D

Also, finally managed to watch Dangerous Liaisons, after reading the book for the Reading Circle earlier this year.  I thought this was a pretty good adaptation and I quite enjoyed it.  Probably wouldn't watch it again, but not bad at all.

We watched the first half of Elizabeth I, Helen Mirren's version.  Then we watched a DVD of Roy Orbison...called Black and White.  Absolutely.  Bloody. Marvelous!  Here is a You Tube of Pretty Woman, the closing of the show.  The guys jamming on their guitars, and the back up singers included k.d. lang and Bonnie Rait! 

So many great performers...Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello....WOW!! 

I was planning to watch the last two Harry Potter films but realised we didn't have Deathly Hallows Part 1, so just watched Part 2 this afternoon instead.  Annoyingly, the window was reflecting in the television and as the film is so dark, I had to close the blind to even be able to see most of what was happening on screen.  Still, not bad, but not happy with some of the changes they made from the book, but then that's always a problem for us bookworms! :D

x

I agree, that is a problem! I think the problem with some of the Harry Potter films is that when they originally made them, not all the books were released so they weren't yet sure which bits would be more important later on (I could be wrong, though. It's been a while since I saw the films and read the books). I liked the films but think the books are better (as usually). I plan on re-reading the books and then re-watching the films.

Pontalba, thats a great Roy Orbison clip. I love all his songs, and although he still does have a big fan base, I think he is a very under rated musician and singer,maybe because he was a very 'shy type of person.' That's why he and George Harrison got on so well together, George was shy and hated publicity, even though they both managed good stage performances.

well in that case I will give them a go!  The films are on tv all the time [on Sky] . I did see the actor who plays Harry in a very funny episode of Extras [Ricky Gervaise series] which shows he can take the p*** out of himself, which is a trait I always admire. :smile:

well in that case I will give them a go!  The films are on tv all the time [on Sky] . I did see the actor who plays Harry in a very funny episode of Extras [Ricky Gervaise series] which shows he can take the p*** out of himself, which is a trait I always admire. :smile:

Very funny episode of Extras that was :D

The films are very good .. so many fantastic actors (Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon etc etc .. ahhh and RIP Richard Harris :() I hadn't read the books when I watched the first film .. had to go to see what all the hype was about and then that was it .. had to read all of them and wait impatiently for Jo to write the rest (and Lord she was slow :D). Brilliant too that they managed to keep the same cast throughout (except for poor Richard :( .. and I do think he was the better Dumbledore) .. that made the films extra special .. so many films change the child actors once they and the characters they play grow older.

Give them a go GG .. see what you think :)

I agree with you, Pops! I liked the first Dumbledore better, and think it's great they kept the cast otherwise, as it was. I think the actors do a really good job portraying the characters. Ack, you've made me want to see the films all over again even more so :P (but I should try and read the books again first..)

Oh I wish you had said Claire .. I could have lent you Part 1 :( .. let me know if you still want to borrow it for next time (have you got blu-ray? .. I'm not sure that the copy I have is blu-ray but it might be).

*Sigh* It's nearly always frustrating to watch book adaptations .. I'm forever tutting in the cinema :D There were bits of both (well that goes for the rest of them as well :D) films that made me cross a bit but, on the whole, they did a splendid job. I cried at Dobby .. so ridiculous to know you're crying over .. what's probably .. a ping pong ball on the end of a stick :D

I agree with you, Pops! I liked the first Dumbledore better, and think it's great they kept the cast otherwise, as it was. I think the actors do a really good job portraying the characters. Ack, you've made me want to see the films all over again even more so :P (but I should try and read the books again first..)

I've seen them at the cinema .. most of them more than once .. I own all the DVD's and yet I still watch when they come on the TV (even with adverts in :banghead:  :D) There was something about Richard's eyes .. he had the Dumbledore twinkle and he just seemed more like a wizard. Michael did a good job though all things considered.

Haha, that's nice :). They don't show them that often on TV here (but then again, I don't usually check what's on TV since I barely watch any anyway). We own the Blu-ray collection of all films (though I've not yet seen all of them on Blu-ray, we only rewatched the last two films. I haven't seen the other films in a longer time, they showed them on TV but not since a while. My parents own a DVD of the first film so I've seen that one perhaps more often, but I'd love to see it again, it's been so long.). I think you're right, Michael did do a good job, it must be difficult to try and play a role previously played by someone else.

Pontalba, thats a great Roy Orbison clip. I love all his songs, and although he still does have a big fan base, I think he is a very under rated musician and singer,maybe because he was a very 'shy type of person.' That's why he and George Harrison got on so well together, George was shy and hated publicity, even though they both managed good stage performances.

I agree, he was underrated for much of his life, what a shame he died just when he was coming back.  Great and versatile performer.

Hi Pontalba :smile:

What did you think of Elizabeth I starring Helen Mirren? I ask because I've seen all Elizabeth I portrayals and am an avid reader of Elizabeth I/Elizabethan biographies/historical fiction/history.

Mirren is always good, in whatever she plays in.  She has a way of becoming the role.  The play surprised me a little, in her relationship with Leicester.  I knew much about it, of course, but the portrayal in the film was  a bit more blatantly shown.

The Last of the Mohicans.  Great film.  I remember seeing it at the cinema and spending most of it wanting Magua to get his backside handed to him in a sling.  The ending is fantastic.  Love the score, too.

If you haven't seen it beware, it's quite bloodthirsty ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9XCamPyKA

Last night I watched one of my favourite films [for the umpteenth time] O Brother Where Art Thou? This is a really good film [on all sorts of levels] starring George Clooney John Turturro and John Goodman, Tim Blake-Nelson.The tag line is 'They have a plan, but not a clue!' The film is a modern day 'Oddyssey' [not that modern day, late 1920's] set in Mississippi, of 3 petty criminals going in search of treasure.It's funny, different, and no bad language . Last Sunday I also watched another of my old favourites [which I'm sure most people on here will know] It's  A Mad Mad Mad Mad World , a real comedy masterpiece featuring just about everyone from the world of comedy [who was still alive in the 1960's when it was made.] If you have never seen it then seek it out.Laughter is the best medicine. :D

The Last of the Mohicans.  Great film.  I remember seeing it at the cinema and spending most of it wanting Magua to get his backside handed to him in a sling.  The ending is fantastic.  Love the score, too.

If you haven't seen it beware, it's quite bloodthirsty ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9XCamPyKA

Awesome film thanks for the clip Karsa.

Last night I watched one of my favourite films [for the umpteenth time] O Brother Where Art Thou? This is a really good film [on all sorts of levels] starring George Clooney John Turturro and John Goodman, Tim Blake-Nelson.The tag line is 'They have a plan, but not a clue!' The film is a modern day 'Oddyssey' [not that modern day, late 1920's] set in Mississippi, of 3 petty criminals going in search of treasure.It's funny, different, and no bad language . Last Sunday I also watched another of my old favourites [which I'm sure most people on here will know] It's  A Mad Mad Mad Mad World , a real comedy masterpiece featuring just about everyone from the world of comedy [who was still alive in the 1960's when it was made.] If you have never seen it then seek it out.Laughter is the best medicine. :D

I remember seeing It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World just once as a kid. Did you know it has been remade as Rat Race with Whoopie Goldberg, John Cleese and Cuba Gooding Junior among others? It's pretty funny.