How many of you buy more than you read?

Michelle

I think one of the biggest "complaints" from our members is that their TBR piles grow at a rapid rate once they join here. I've noticed myself that as time has gone by, I find I get just as much enjoyment out of obtaining books as I do reading them. In particular I do like receiving review books before they're published, but I'm just as happy buying from amazon and putting it on my shelf.. even if I know I won't get to read it for ages!

How many of you are the same, do you now have a large TBR pile, and do you enjoy obtaining those books? Or are you very controlled, and buy only when you're ready to read?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of those people! I enjoy browsing books in general, looking for particular titles from my lists and buying them to put on my shelf almost as much as reading them. I like to have a variety of titles to choose from so I can pick what suits my reading mood at the time.

I do sometimes panic (almost) purchase a title if I know it is hard to come by, or is no longer in print before doing my usual research on the title first.

Edited by Devi

I am guilty of this too. I buy more books than I read. I enjoy buying books immensely. To me a part of the fun of reading a book (or any other medium, really, but books especially) is looking forward to eventually getting to read it. I rarely buy something and read it straight away. I prefer to spend a bit of time looking at it, thinking about it, before I read it. I don't know if that makes sense, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of "looking forward to".

It's good to know I'm not the only one who buys more books than she reads (he if you're a man)!

Although my TBR did increase after joining the forum, I've also read at least 50% more every year since joining too! When I was still buying all my books in paperback, I would definitely buy more than I read, but often only because of the old Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer. Now that I have my Kindle, I *generally* seem to be buying less, but that might just be because of my plan last year to clear my TBR, but I bought far fewer books than I read last year.

I do love my Sunday morning browsing through Amazon wishlists, reading reviews of new book in the papers, and still can't walk past a bookshop without at least looking in the window, although if it's a great bookshop, I can almost guarantee I'll end up buying some books too!

My guess would be that the majority of people here will buy more books than they read, I know I certainly do.

A quick piece of maths on my reading since I joined here shows I'm averaging around 20 books a year (reading wise) but my guess would be that I'm probably buying somewhere between 30 and 40 books a year.

Some I know I will one day read, but the law of diminishing returns shows that that I'm probably going to run out of life before I run out of books to read.

(On a side note, I'm looking forward to reading Kylie's reply to this!).

I usually don't have more than five to ten unread books.

It's not so much about control as a much as a way of life with almost everything.

Due to a lot of travelling - living minimally became a necessity these last few years - and now its just a part of me.

I don't feel right seeing "unused" things around - so until I'm almost at the end of the unread pile of books - I don't order new ones.

I have bought books I'll probably never read. Will I get rid of them? Never. I also pick up like five books I want to read, get absorbed in one, and by the time I finish it have found 5 more I want, so it's basically one out of every group purchase that actually ends up getting read.

I have way more books than I can ever hope to read! Towards the middle of last year I vowed to reduce my 'to read' pile, but it didn't happen! :giggle2: This year I am going to try not to buy too many new paper books (famous last words!) but will probably acquire new library books (for my World Challenge) and Kindle books (freebie classics - but Kindle books don't count!).

Like Noll I have books that I know I'm unlikely to read - but when I try to get rid of them I just can't do it!

I definitely do this but I never realised how much until I tallied up my stats last year. I bought 124 books and read 51, and most of those I'd read were from a prior year purchase. :hide:

A lot of this buying has to do with a Kindle. It's so easy to see a book for £0.99 and just click the mouse and it's yours without feeling like you're spending money. I love looking for books and reading reviews and comments about books. But this year I'm really going to try to cut down on buying and increase my reading.

I have to believe that I will one day have read all the books I am meant to, but as to whether this will be all the books on my tbr shelves and my kindle, I am uncertain. :blush2:

My mojo has been so wishy-washy over the past two years I refuse to count just how many books I have to read, as it might get spooked away from me. This does not stop me from enjoying the enormous pleasure of finding a book (paper or otherwise) that I can make my own. :D A trip to the high street always includes a visit to my local bookshop, and a quick trawl of the charity shops for a few book bargains.

I still have a space or two on the shelves, and maybe one day I'll be less book needy, but that day isn't yet here. ;)

After I joined this forum, I think I've bought more books than I have actually read each year that I've been on here. I'm determined to make this year an exception. I can't go on buying so many books, because I seriously want to reduce my mount TBR. I hate to think that I have so many books on my shelves that are just gathering dust because there are other books I have to get to first. Poor, poor books, you deserve so much better. :empathy:

I have definitely started acquiring more since I joined here, and now acquire at a faster rate than I read, which means that my TBR pile is always increasing!! I get a lot of pleasure out of it though, and as a result of that people enjoy passing books on to me, so I don't pay for them all either. I love reading, and I love the anticipation of reading everything on my shelves and kindle, even though I know it will take ages!! (or never happen!)

I plan to live forever just so I can finish every book on my wish list, as a friend of mine would say.

Last year I started acquiring lots of books, if I fancied it I bought it! But the unread books started to irritate me and I was mainly only reading the newest books so since October I've bought hardly any, excluding gifts of course. I now have just 37 books on my TBR shelf and I'm steadily working my way through them, and actually concentrating on some of the ones I've had the longest.. I did get a kobo for Christmas but I'm restricting how many I put on there too.. Now I just have to see if it lasts!! :D

I too have a Mt TBR that needs to be conquered or at least tackled at some point. Lately I've been. Buying more books on my kindle which is good in one way but still adds to the reading list. My question is has anyone bought a book,put it somewhere,forgot you bought it and then discovered you had it somewhere else? I've done that many many times

I was fine with my book buying habits until I joined this forum and since then I have probably bought 3 books for every 1 read. I don't feel bad about it though because like Nollaig I like having a wide range to choose my next read from. Full bookshelves always look great as well.

Probably I'm the only one who don't do this, surely not due to my will. I don't have a real job and there's not much money left after I pay bills and buy some food. So I pick books from the library. But believe me, every time I catch a glimpse of a book shop I run as fast as I can to avoid any temptations because I would probably buy a whole bookshelf if I could :giggle2:

I can't really say that I do this - when I finish a book I either buy another one or read one that is already on my Kindle. The only exception to this is when I go on holiday where I download enough to last me for however long I will be away.

Last year I bought (or was given) approx 93 books and I read about 81 but sadly not 81 of the 93 .. some of them were library books or borrowed and some were from my quite large TBR so really I have no business buying more books. I can't resist it though and I like to collect books .. it's a pleasure to look at them. I love having choice too, I'm unhappy if the choice is limited (and I can just about remember when it was :D)

Yes, this forum is encouraging me to spend more on books but then I could be an on-line gambler (I am actually .. I once bought an Andy McNab book thinking it might be my sort of thing :D) I've read a large percentage of the books at home so I don't feel too oppressed .. I do sometimes stand at a bookshelf and go through it saying 'read it' and 'not read it' out loud :D not to impress anyone because the cat's not remotely interested but to see how I'm doing :blush2:

Me!!! I have a TBR of over 430 books! Last year I read 75 books so its going to take me years to reduce this. I have got better at not buying too many tree books but sometimes I can't help myself! My main problem now is all the free kindle books I keep downloading!

Me!!! I have a TBR of over 430 books! Last year I read 75 books so its going to take me years to reduce this. I have got better at not buying too many tree books but sometimes I can't help myself! My main problem now is all the free kindle books I keep downloading!

I think with you it also didn't help that you won the ebay (?) auction and got a huge hella load of books for a few pounds... I still haven't gotten over that :D

I think with you it also didn't help that you won the ebay (?) auction and got a huge hella load of books for a few pounds... I still haven't gotten over that :D

Hehe that didn't help either! I haven't counted all of them in my TBR at the minute either, I must go through them again and see if anything takes my fancy now!

Oh and I might just have to visit eBay again :P

I think one of the biggest "complaints" from our members is that their TBR piles grow at a rapid rate once they join here. I've noticed myself that as time has gone by, I find I get just as much enjoyment out of obtaining books as I do reading them. In particular I do like receiving review books before they're published, but I'm just as happy buying from amazon and putting it on my shelf.. even if I know I won't get to read it for ages!

How many of you are the same, do you now have a large TBR pile, and do you enjoy obtaining those books? Or are you very controlled, and buy only when you're ready to read?

I love holding new books. I love the smell of a new book even. I love to read any book, new or old. And I definitely have until lately, bought too much, but now, economic climate etc, I am moderating it suitably well.

Edited by itsmeagain

Hehe that didn't help either! I haven't counted all of them in my TBR at the minute either, I must go through them again and see if anything takes my fancy now!

Oh and I might just have to visit eBay again :P

Actually I did think that it might be possible you haven't even gone through all of them yet :D You lucky gal!

Edit: Have you even written all of them down on your reading log?