What's up in January

Lilywhite

Thanks Chrissy........you must have been talking with poppy ....."About Time". :)

I think I may have been channeling her a bit there muggle! :smile: But here are two (conflicting) theories; it may be that you dont want to retire and your body is punishing you for stopping, or it may be that you really should retire and you body is giving you a feverish woohoo. Either way (or neither way indeed!)) feel better soon. :flowers2:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first day in retirement and I am down with a rotten cold. My chest feels like it is full of razor blades when I cough.

Guess Retirement wasn't meant for me. :)

Hope your feeling better soon Muggles, I feel your pain with the cough I was like that too.

I was rudely awoken at 6am yesterday with a bad headache which then turned to migraine last night, first one of 2013. Today I have struggled through work with the after effects but I am now almost fully over it. Not a lot else happening up here on the Fylde Coast apart from the horrendous wind and rain, please bring back the snow!!!!

I think I may have been channeling her a bit there muggle! :smile: But here are two (conflicting) theories; it may be that you dont want to retire and your body is punishing you for stopping, or it may be that you really should retire and you body is giving you a feverish woohoo. Either way (or neither way indeed!)) feel better soon. :flowers2:

I am reading the book "Horns" by Joe Hill. if the character in the book was near me I would tell my innermost thoughts without knowing I was doing it. btw, the book was/is on sale on kindle for $1.99.

My first day in retirement and I am down with a rotten cold. My chest feels like it is full of razor blades when I cough.

Awwww ....hope you get better soon Muggles :empathy:

Now don't you start that again :theboss:

I've heard people say they get ill when they stop working because it's a shock to the system to take a break :(

I just found this interesting article http://www.webmd.boots.com/travel/features/do-weekends-and-holidays-make-you-sick which claims "Your immune system is stimulated by the pressure, so when you have deadlines your body knows you can’t get ill. When you take a break your immune system just thinks - no more pressure. I can get sick now."

I hope that you feel better soon! :)

I have had to take a pay cut too Jules when I started my new job, as I am now working less hours, but actually I don't mind, as there is less stress, and by finishing later I will not be going out every afternoon for cups of tea and cakes. Not only will I save money, but I will probably lose weight then too !

Sounds better all the way 'round! Verra happy for you. :)

Oh, pish, you'll feel better in no time, and be running around the country with your lovely wife. :cool:

Lots to look forward to in the next couple of weeks! I've just started two new courses on Coursera, both introductory - one about Astrobiology and the other Philosophy - taking the Philosophy one purely as a recap for the study I did in college, I figure it'll be a good way to refresh my memory.

And on Friday (three more sleeps!) I get to go see The Importance Of Being Earnest at my local theatre. Really excited as I've never seen it on stage before!

I am reading the book "Horns" by Joe Hill. if the character in the book was near me I would tell my innermost thoughts without knowing I was doing it. btw, the book was/is on sale on kindle for $1.99.

I've almost gotten this book several times, but something always stops me, so I'll be interested in reading your opinion. I have his 20th Century Ghosts, but haven't read it yet. I did read Heart Shaped Box, but I didn't like it much :/

Feel better and congrats on retirement! :flowers2:

I've almost gotten this book several times, but something always stops me, so I'll be interested in reading your opinion. I have his 20th Century Ghosts, but haven't read it yet. I did read Heart Shaped Box, but I didn't like it much :/

I am half way through the book but the verdict is still out. The first part of the book was hilariously funny but am now stuck a little. Have to see how it proceeds.

Sounds better all the way 'round! Verra happy for you. :)

Yes, it is better. I had a meeting with the boss today to see how I am getting on, and she said they have been waiting for someone like me for a long time. As you can imagine, I was very happy to hear this. Even though then I might be worse off in the short term, in the long term I think I am going to so much better off. Looking back on it, now the stress is starting to go, I don't know how I managed to stick at that old job for as long as I did.

Edited by Talisman

I think we can safely say this summer has made up for the lack last summer. Temps around 33c the last three days, and set to continue for about another five days. We usually average about 25c in summer here.

My kids are back at school on Friday. These holidays went fast and I'm not sure I'm ready for them to go back.

Oooh, I bet that will be very interesting!

Haha I suspect it won't be as interesting as a lot of the people signing up will expect - it's not about searching for alien life so much as a consideration of existing life in a cosmic context, and considering what the implications of life occuring here have for the possible occurence of it elsewhere and understanding the science behind it all. I think I'll find it very interesting though :)

I can't believe today is only Wednesday, I keep thinking it's Thursday and it's making me sad :(

i did not enjoy "Horns". It was not my type of book. Too much really nasty stuff and I am not into the "Devil"

Did you get the bad weather in your neck of the woods. The tornadoes were pretty bad in the deep South.

i did not enjoy "Horns". It was not my type of book. Too much really nasty stuff and I am not into the "Devil"

Did you get the bad weather in your neck of the woods. The tornadoes were pretty bad in the deep South.

Now I'm even more curious! I don't think I'll be in any rush to get it...he certainly has a different style than his Dad

we got some snow & sleet a few days ago, then the night before last a major windstorm...now really cold again. Very odd weather lately.

Busy thinking of ideas for my daughter and sons birthday which are both in early Feb, aarrgh!!!! :D

Actually it is February now, double aaarrgh!!!! :D :D

I see where you are reading Isabelle Allende. I really like her writing. I attended a "session" where she was the guest speaker and she talked about her life for about 2 hours. She is quite the person.

I see where you are reading Isabelle Allende. I really like her writing. I attended a "session" where she was the guest speaker and she talked about her life for about 2 hours. She is quite the person.

I found an ARC of one of her books left on a train once (at least I assume it as an ARC as there was no bar code or price marked on it anywhere). I have to admit I never read it, and gave it away to someone I know who liked her books. Maybe I'll ask to borrow it back one day!

I'm only a couple of chapters in and frustratingly am pushed for time at present, but what I have so far read is intriguing and not just a little strange, I'll let you know how I get on with it soon hopefully.

I can imagine she was an interesting person to listen to as no one boring wrote this book! :D

Edited by chaliepud