bree's log : 2013

bree

I love your January reading summary, such a thing of beauty! What a great idea in a reading log :smile2:

Meanwhile, my unread-books-list has hit single numbers again. I ordered a few books today, as it may take a while getting here (it has begun to snow again with many roads being blocked). I certainly don't want to end up with no books to read once more!

7. The Lions of Al-Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay
8. Kafka On The Shore - Haruki Murakami
9. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
10. The Dangerous Liaisons -  Choderlos de Laclos

I am excited about all of them - and I hope they reach me before the month ends  :blush2:

Ooooh, The Lions of Al-Rassan! I really hope you like the book :)  I have the three other books on my TBR as well, and they are ones I think should be great as I've heard great things about them.

And what a great review of The House on Mango Street! Thank you so much for writing one of the vignettes, it's about 150% better than I remembered it to be, I really need to get a copy of this and read the whole thing. What great notions and sentences, I love it!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed The Girl With the Pearl Earring Bree i read it awhile back & really enjoyed it . I agree with what you said in the spoiler as well I hadn't really thought about it like that but when i read your comment it made sense. Have you read any of her other books? I have The Lady & the Unicorn & Remarkable Creatures but haven't got round to reading them yet  :smile:

Good to hear that you enjoyed The Girl With The Pearl Earring bree. I've read most of Chevalier's novels now, and I think this is one of the better, although my favourite is Falling Angels.

I too am so happy to see that you enjoyed Girl with the Pearl Earring, Bree! :D  I've read almost all of her works as well and am reading Remarkable Creatures right now. 

Funnily enough, Chesil, Fallen Angels is the one other Chevalier I've not read so I obviously need to! 

The Lady and the Unicorn is my favorite, but GWTPE is not far behind.

Hello kidsmum and Peacefield :)

I hadn't heard of her till I picked up this book  :blush2:

I will try and get hold of The Lady and The Unicorn - it's currently not available here.

chesil, I luckily found a copy of Falling Angels - I think I'll buy when I books next month.

I hope I enjoy it too.

Ooooh, The Lions of Al-Rassan! I really hope you like the book :)  I have the three other books on my TBR as well, and they are ones I think should be great as I've heard great things about them.

I ordered The Lions of Al-Rassan straight after reading your review frankie :)

Meanwhile I completed The Pigman last night and have picked up Love In The Time of Cholera - I've yet to start on it though.

It's bright and warm again today, and along with the sunshine came my first parcel of five books :)

1. The Black Tower - PD James

2. The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
3. Villette - Charlotte Bronte
4. The Black Dahlia - James Ellroy
5, Beloved - Toni Morrison
Edited by bree

ThePigman_PaulZindel_zps9493d982.jpg

The Pigman

Paul Zindel

First published: 1968

Awards: New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year (1968), ALA Notable Children's Book (1970), Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Nominee for Fiction (1969)

Setting: USA, 1960s

Synopsis (from behind the book):

Meet Mr. Pignati, a lonely old man with a beer belly and an awful secret. He's the Pigman and he's got a great big, twinkling smile and
would have made one @#$% street-corner Santa Claus, if you stuck a white beard on him in December.
John and Lorraine, two high school sophomores, are his friends and know his whole sad, zany story.
They tell it right here in this book - the truth, and nothing but the truth - no matter how many people it shocks or hurts.

Thoughts:
The book unfolds in the first person, in alternating chapters, between John and Lorraine. 

You get to know them, their thought, their families and the about their unlikely friendship with old Mr. Pignati - who they fondly call "The Pigman".

It's revealed almost at the beginning that Mr. Pignati is now dead - and this narrative is a written document of his two friends.

It is a well-paced book - written to capture the wandering minds of Young-Adults - and yet does a commendable job in making astute observations about life, mortality, growing-up, dreams, loneliness and relationships. You can't help but grow fond of the two young narrators, and of the lonely, eccentric Mr. Pignati. Yes there is teenage angst, but it is never shallow or trivial, and is only one of the many motifs explored. Another YA book that left me thinking.

It well deserves to be called a YA classic - and I'd like to read its sequel - The Pigman's Legacy

Something from the book:

The Assassin Riddle

Rating: ★★ : I liked it

Edited by bree

I remember reading and enjoying both Pigman novels as a teenager. Can't really remember what happened in either of the though. Glad you enjoyed The Pigman

Hello Lucybird :)

Yes it was a good read - I may try and read the sequel as I'd love to know what happens to John and Lorraine :)

Edited by bree

• 2 weeks later...

Have been a bit woolly in the head, these last couple of weeks, and couldn't get started on Love In The Times Of Cholera - as I'd planned.

Started instead on The Black Tower by P.D James and hoped that a crackling crime novel would engage me.

No luck.

It was my first PD James. It read so dull - I couldn't engage with the plot or the characters - and I really didn't care who the murderer was and why the murders happened.

I didn't do it justice at all. And it's made me not want to pick up another book by her.

Not sure if I should read till my head clears - but have picked up My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George for a bit of bed-side reading.

It's a short YA read - and I hope I can enjoy it.

Thank you Athena :)

I did.

My Side of The Mountain was brilliant!

Have started on Villette by Charlotte Bronte.

Having liked Jane Eyre immensely - I hope to enjoy this one as well.

I do love reading your blog bree! :) I've added a lot of your books to my wish list.

Edited by Devi

Thank you Devi - I'm a bit scared that you've added books off here - I hope I don't lead you on - as I tend to gush over the books I enjoy.

I hope you're feeling better now :friends0:

TheBlackTower-PDJames_zpsc03edb1a.jpg

The Black Tower

P.D. James

First published: 1975
Awards: The Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger for Fiction (1975)

Setting: Dorset, England (United Kingdom) 

It was, Adam Dalgliesh thought, uncommonly inconsiderate, if not negligent, of his doctors to reconcile him so thoroughly to death and then change their minds. 

Unsettled by this brush with death and disenchanted with his job in the Force, Commander Adam Dalgliesh responds to an invitation to visit an old family friend, the chaplain at a private home for the disabled in Dorset, only to discover on his arrival at Toynton Grange that his host has died suddenly... 

Other deaths follow and a grim sense of foreboding grips Dalgliesh as he moves among the inhabitants of the enclosed community. What had been founded as an abode of love is rapidly becoming a staging post for death

Thoughts:

I picked up this book hoping to find another murder-mystery author I could enjoy as much as I do Christie. 

This book takes place in a nursing home for the invalid. Where people are killed off one after the other is what seem like accidents. Inspector Dalgliesh slowly tries to pu pieces together and get to the bottom of the killings.

The plot is tedious. The narrative creaks and groans and whimpers and almost left me in a stupor.

And having reached the end of the book I'm surprised I made it till the last page.

I was thinking of trying another of her books - a more popular one - and then I read this article : where she thinks of Christie as "such a bad writer".

I don't think I'd enjoy P.D. James - her sensibilities about what makes a good murder-mystery are obviously starkly different from mine.

Rating:  : I didn't like it 

Edited by bree

MySideOfTheMountain_JeanCraigheadGeorge_

My Side of the Mountain

Jean Craighead George

First published: 1959
Awards: Newbery Honor (1960), Lewis Carroll Shelf Award (1965), George C. Stone Center for Children's Books Recognition of Merit Award (1969)

Setting: Catskill Mountains, New York (United States) 

"I am on my mountain in my tree home that
people have passed without ever knowing
that I am here."

Sam Gribley is tired of living in the crowded New York City apartment, so he runs away to the catskill mountain wilderness to forage a life of his own.  With only a pen knife, a ball of cord, an ax, $40, and some flint and steel, he must rely on his intelligence and on the resources of the land to survive.  And survive he does.  This is Sam's fascinating account on his life in the wild and what he learns about the wilderness-and himself-in the process.

Thoughts:

A book about the mountains. A book about a youngster and trying to survive in the wilderness. Learning about plants, animals, fire, trees, birds, season - and yourself. How could I have not loved it?

It is a beautifully written book. Simple and powerful. And written by someone who obviously has a magical relationship with nature herself.

This is a book I'll re-read many times - it also has a couple of sequels :

On the Far Side of the Mountain

Frightful's Mountain 

- I would love to read them too.

Rating: ★★★ : I loved it

Edited by bree

February Reading Summary:

February2013_original_zpse35f7698.jpg

Books read : 7 (The Woman In Black, The House on Mango Street, Girl With A Pearl Earring, The African QueenThe PigmanThe Black Tower, My Side Of The Mountain)

Classics read : 0

Children/YA Classics read : 4 (The House on Mango Street, Girl With A Pearl Earring, The Pigman, My Side Of The Mountain)

Newbury books read : 3 (The House on Mango Street, The Pigman, My Side of The Mountain)

Books read from the 1001 Books List : 0 = 31/1001

Books read from the Ultimate Teen Guide : 3 (The Woman in Black, The Pigman, My Side of The Mountain) = 44/736

Books read from the 100 Books for Children List : 0 = 21/100

Reading Circle book read? : Yes : The Woman in Black

Books bought :  8

Unread books on the shelf : 11

★★★ books read : 1 (My Side of The Mountain)

★★ books read : 4 (The House on Mango Street, Girl With A Pearl Earring, The African Queen, The Pigman)

★ books read : 2 (The Woman in Black, The Black Tower)

I had a non-reading two weeks in between - and I seem to have more than the usual number of YA books to keep me going.

Have neglected the classics. Have started on Villette, though, a few days ago - so I guess that's okay!

Edited by bree

I love your monthly round-ups too.  :)

★ books read : 2 (The Woman in Black, The Black Tower)

Maybe you should avoid books with the word 'Black' in the title?!  :giggle2:

HI ordered The Lions of Al-Rassan straight after reading your review frankie :)

Oh boy, I do hope you like it! And I'm sorry to know that it hasn't been sent to you yet, I read about your problems with this book and a few others in the Book Activity Thread.

And please, if you don't like it, pass on some of the guilt towards Karsa Orlong, he was the one who 'made' me read the book in the first place :giggle:

TheBlackTower-PDJames_zpsc03edb1a.jpg

Rating:  : I didn't like it 

Oh boy. You didn't like this book, and she didn't appreciate Agatha Christie as a writer, and I really didn't like Death Comes to Pemberley (for the most part it was just a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice!)... In my opinion, this doesn't bode too well for James!

Thank you Devi - I'm a bit scared that you've added books off here - I hope I don't lead you on - as I tend to gush over the books I enjoy.

I hope you're feeling better now :friends0:

I usually find I enjoy most of the books I read. It helps that I am pretty much into every genre (but romance - i.e. mills and boon)

p.s. Love your monthly summaries too!

Edited by Devi

Hi Bree

Trying to get around to visit some book threads here. I think your monthly book collage of covers is a terrific idea,and I like how you sum up the month with the numbers of specific books types . Very organized .

Now a little off topic,but I was perusing the pictures of members in the other thread,and I must say you are STUNNINGLY beautiful . My gosh, you should be a model if you aren't already .

Gorgeous .

I love your summaries, bree! I hope March will bring just as much, if not more, fun reading for you :).

I love your monthly round-ups too.  :)

Maybe you should avoid books with the word 'Black' in the title?!  :giggle2:

I usually find I enjoy most of the books I read. It helps that I am pretty much into every genre (but romance - i.e. mills and boon)

p.s. Love your monthly summaries too!

Thank you - it's about the most creative I get  :giggle: (making the summaries I mean)

And Janet - now that you've pointed that out - I'm a bit nervous about The Black Dahlia sitting unread on my shelf  :giggle2:

Hi Bree

Trying to get around to visit some book threads here. I think your monthly book collage of covers is a terrific idea,and I like how you sum up the month with the numbers of specific books types . Very organized .

Now a little off topic,but I was perusing the pictures of members in the other thread,and I must say you are STUNNINGLY beautiful . My gosh, you should be a model if you aren't already .

Gorgeous .

Oh dear thank you julie.

But I must I admit - I did post it knowing very well that it was a good picture  :blush2:

Have completed Villette by Charlotte Bronte - and possibly liked it even a bit more than I did Jane Eyre.

Also read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - and Manderley is the only fictional house after Tara - that I've loved and was mesmerised by. What a brilliant written book! (I'm just a bit in love with Daphne du Maurier  :wub: )

and I really didn't like Death Comes to Pemberley (for the most part it was just a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice!)...

That seals it then frankie.

I won't be picking up a PD James any time soon  :no: