bree's log : 2013

bree

I've been wanting to read The Woman in White and The Moonstone for years, but I never seem to get around to them. :(

Do you have a recommendation for which one I should read first, Bree?

I'm only half-way through The Moonstone, Kylie - but I don't think you'll go wrong which ever one you pick first.

(Maybe Kidsmum and willoyd can give you a better answer as they've read them both)

Hope you give Wilkie Collins a go this year Kylie :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bree

I don't think you could go wrong picking up any of Wilkie's books. I love his writing style. Have read Woman in White and Moonstone, and I'd rate them both the same level -- I also found used copies of Armadale and Hide and Seek last week in the used bookstore,so will be tackling those sometime soon .

Bree

I don't think you could go wrong picking up any of Wilkie's books. I love his writing style. Have read Woman in White and Moonstone, and I'd rate them both the same level -- I also found used copies of Armadale and Hide and Seek last week in the used bookstore,so will be tackling those sometime soon .

Hello julie :),

Thank you for that. I hope to read more of Wilkie Collins this year too - will look out for your thoughts on Armadale and Hide and Seek

Haven't read anything at all yesterday and today - which is a shame as I really want to spend time with The Moonstone

Meanwhile, I had a wonderful book-y surprise today!

For many months now I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Dodie Smith's I Capture The Castle - after reluctantly accepting that no pre-loved copies were available anywhere, I placed an order for a new one. The book-store promised me they'd import a copy and send it to me. But after a month they cancelled the order saying that they couldn't procure it. The same thing happened with another store. And I just resigned myself to not reading it any time soon.

(I could have got it though bookdepository - but I find their prices high - and couldn't justify spending that much for a book - especially when there are so many other books around which I haven't yet read)

Anyway (sorry to be so long-winded!) - I received the book by mail today :)

It was sent by the first book store - without my even having paid for it!

It came with a note saying they managed to procure it after all these months- and they were happy to send me a copy!

I paid them now (it was fraction of the original cost) - and it's put such a huge smile on my face.

:)

What a lovely story, bree! I am reading I Capture The Castle just now; I am really enjoying it but find I can only read a few pages or so (probably up to about 20) at a time. I think it is a book that will stay with me for a while, though, just for the pictures it creates in my mind. :)

Thank you julie and Ooshie - it did make me happy :)

Meanwhile, I completed The Moonstone last night - the last 100 pages almost flew - as I was really eager to know how it would all unravel.

And I wasn't disappointed.

Have picked up I Capture The Castle to read (with a bit of guilt, as the books that had previously arrived got unceremoniously sidelined :blush2: )

Haven't read anything at all yesterday and today - which is a shame as I really want to spend time with The Moonstone

For many months now I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Dodie Smith's I Capture The Castle - after reluctantly accepting that no pre-loved copies were available anywhere, I placed an order for a new one. The book-store promised me they'd import a copy and send it to me. But after a month they cancelled the order saying that they couldn't procure it. The same thing happened with another store. And I just resigned myself to not reading it any time soon.

(I could have got it though bookdepository - but I find their prices high - and couldn't justify spending that much for a book - especially when there are so many other books around which I haven't yet read)

It came with a note saying they managed to procure it after all these months- and they were happy to send me a copy!

I paid them now (it was fraction of the original cost) - and it's put such a huge smile on my face.

What a great story! And what a great bookstore, they really want to serve their customers the best they can! :smile2:

Also, I love it how you say 'pre-loved' when you're talking about secondhand books :D You're a gem!

Also, I love it how you say 'pre-loved' when you're talking about secondhand books :D You're a gem!

And you're a sweetheart :friends0:

I can't call the books "used" as they've been treated with a lot of care and preserved wonderfully.

And I can't say "second-handed", as I have a strong suspicion they are not just that :D

Edited by bree

Meanwhile, I complete I Capture The Castle, last night - and enjoyed it.

That's two book reviews I've now got pending!

Have picked up Lajja by Talisma Nasrin to read next.

She is a writer from Bangaldesh. The book was published in 1993, and was almost immediately banned there, and her life threatened.

She's been living in exile, and in hiding, since then

The book written in Bengali literally translates to mean "shame", and it covers a fictional story which could have happened, based on the communal conflicts which shook the Indian sub-continent in 1992.

Though I wasn't old enough to completely understand what as happening then - I have now come to realise the horror and gore - the repercussions of which are felt even today.

It is a slim book, and I hope to start on it today.

Have you ever tried looking on https://www.greenmetropolis.com/? All of their books are 'pre-loved' and the majority of the cost £3.75 including P&P :)

Have you ever tried looking on https://www.greenmetropolis.com/? All of their books are 'pre-loved' and the majority of the cost £3.75 including P&P :)

Thanks ashleighjane - lovely site!

Unfortunately they don't seem to deliver overseas.

I live in a remote part of India, and it's tricky finding services which deliver here safely.

Thanks ashleighjane - lovely site!

Unfortunately they don't seem to deliver overseas.

I live in a remote part of India, and it's tricky finding services which deliver here safely.

Ah, I didn't realise they were based in the UK. The '.com' must have tricked my brain.

I also think that your profile pic made me think you were located in the UK, for some reason. :P

Bree

Great job on your reading to get 2 books done and another going . I also didnt realize where you were located. Wow, India ! such a fascinating country ! I bet it's beautiful where you live in the mountains .

I also think that your profile pic made me think you were located in the UK, for some reason. :P

Yes, I guess it is misleading! :P

My hair is black, and my skin more dark chocolate than milk :D - but I identified so much with it, in spirit - enjoying the sunshine in a park with a book - that I can't think of changing it :)

Wow, India ! such a fascinating country ! I bet it's beautiful where you live in the mountains .

It is glorious up here - there is something amazing about Mountains and I hope I never take that for granted.

TheMoonstone_WilkieCollins_zpsd0ec9b65.jpg

The Moonstone
Wilkie Collins

First Published: 1868
Recognition: Considered the first detective novel in the English language

Setting: Victorian England

Synopsis: (from the back of the book)

A fabulous yellow diamond becomes the dangerous inheritance of Rachel Verinder. Outside her Yorkshire country house watch the Hindu priests who have waited for centuries to reclaim their ancient talisman, looted from the holy city of Somnauth. When the Moonstone disappears the case looks simple, but in mid-Victorian England no one is what they seem, and nothing can be taken for granted.

Witnesses, suspects, and detective take up the story in turn. The bemused butler, the love-stricken housemaid the enigmatic detective Sergeant Cuff, the drug-addicted scientist, each speculated on the mystery as Collins weaves their narratives into a masterpiece of construction and suspense.

Experiments with drugs and the power of the unconscious; bourgeois fears of police intrusion; imperialist looting and the occult revenge it invokes; all interact towards the breathtaking solution in what T.S. Eliot called 'the first and greatest English detective novel.'

Thoughts:
I really like this book. Wonderfully fleshed out characters. A believable plot. Eastern mysticism (even to me!). Delicious wit. A feisty heroine. And yes a stolen diamond!

The book unravels through five narrators - each only giving a first-hand report of what they personally witnessed. This book to me was so much more than a detective story. It really brought to life the people from the Victorian Era. I loved the butler - Betteredge - his dry one-liners and his absolute faith and dedication toward Robinson Crusoe (the book) always showing him the light :D
Rachel Verinder was wonderful too! Full of spirit, back-bone, fire, and - secrets :)

The last hundred pages really went fast as I was done with guessing and second-guessing, and just needed to know the truth about the diamond! And it did give a satisfactory ending.

I will look out for other works of Wilkie Collins!

Rating: ★★ : I liked it

Edited by bree

Wow India! How amazing! I've always wanted to visit, there and just about every other country in the world :giggle2: I would love to see pictures if you have any.

Wow India! How amazing! I've always wanted to visit, there and just about every other country in the world :giggle2: I would love to see pictures if you have any.

Yes - I'm fascinated by places far away too - but haven't been out of India yet!

I'll put together a few pictures and link them to you Devi :)

Yes - I'm fascinated by places far away too - but haven't been out of India yet!

I'll put together a few pictures and link them to you Devi :)

I haven't been out of Australia, almost been around it though. Multiple visits to each state except Western Australia. I can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Edited by Devi

I too would be interested in seeing these pictures! :D

I started reading The Moonstone once years ago in college, but didn't get very far. (Not because I didn't like it, but because I just wasn't in the mood for it). Pretty sure I still have my copy somewhere though so I should go back and give it another go.