Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard of that Van Gogh book - there was controversy surrounding a theory that the authors came to - I won't say what in case people don't want to know, but apparently the vast majority of Van Gogh experts disagree with the conclusion they came to. I've always meant to read it.

Miss Poppy

I purchased the Kindle version of the VanGogh book .You talked me into it. Sounds interesting enough,and well written enough to make it worth buying .

These same 2 authors wrote a follow-up book to a big murder case that happened a couple decades ago in Texas,along with a couple other true crime books, so I'm assuming they found enough information in VanGogh's life to make it pretty controversial too .

We shall see !

I have heard of that Van Gogh book - there was controversy surrounding a theory that the authors came to - I won't say what in case people don't want to know, but apparently the vast majority of Van Gogh experts disagree with the conclusion they came to. I've always meant to read it.

Ohhh can you pm/spoiler tag it for me please?

They claimed he didn't commit suicide, that he was shot by two boys with a malfunctioning gun. He lived for a while after he shot himself, and I think they claim he said something in that time suggesting he didn't want the boys to be blamed. The majority (if not all) of Van Gogh's other biographers dismissed the claims, saying it there were far more simple explanations fitting the apparent events and confessions of people at the time. They suggest the authors of this book were using confirmation bias - assuming their desired answer and working backwards through the evidence to support it. All very interesting, all the same, but I think I'd take their book with a pinch of salt!

There's more about it on Van Gogh's Wiki page, if anyone is interested in checking out the references from the experts who dismissed the claim. Just go here and check out the section on the biography. I haven't read the stuff in detail myself, but I've remembered that is IS there, so I can come back to it once I've read the book. Might be of interest for the same reason for others.

There's more about it on Van Gogh's Wiki page, if anyone is interested in checking out the references from the experts who dismissed the claim. Just go here and check out the section on the biography. I haven't read the stuff in detail myself, but I've remembered that is IS there, so I can come back to it once I've read the book. Might be of interest for the same reason for others.

Thanks for posting it for me! Appreciate it :) 

I am going to check the link out myself.

• 1 month later...

Kay suffers from ME and is currently going through a bad attack. I spoke to Alan online a while ago and he was hopeful that the spell wouldn't last too long, but they vary in length so it's just a case of her resting and getting better again. I think we all miss her loads - she's such good company. :)

I haven't been feeling well lately :(

I've had ME since the mid 80's (not diagnosed until the 90's though) and had some bad bouts over the years but have been relatively well for four years or so but have felt myself sliding back into illness again for a couple of weeks now .. I think I spoke too soon because I was only saying how lucky I'd been on that front recently.

Anyway, I just wanted to write it here, incase you wonder where I am or think that I've run off and joined the circus like I was always planning.

I feel such a dread in the pit of my stomach but Alan says it might not be as bad as I'm fearing. All I can do now is rest up and hope for the best.

My vision is pretty bad now so reading is out, I hope to still be able to come and read the forum for cheering up purposes. Hope we will be talking about cake again soon xxxxx Big hugs :friends0:

The above is from her blog. :)

Myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome wiki link. It's a really tough condition to have, not much is known about it and there aren't any miracle cures. My boyfriend has it too, I can't speak for poppy and what she goes through but I know what he goes through, it can be really tough. He feels tired a lot and has problems sleeping. He's also in pain, often. He goes through periods where it's worse and less worse. He can't do too much in a day, if he spends some time doing something intensive, such as shopping or carrying things, he'll be bad the days after it (he has a feet problem too so he can't even walk much without being in pain). So he needs to rest lots (but also not too much). Anyway, I don't know how similar this is to what poppy goes through, but it's just to give you an idea.

Poppy, I hope you feel better soon. I've seen firsthand from my boyfriend how bad ME can make a person feel, my thoughts are with you, I hope you get better soon :hug:.

DARN

When I saw all the posts from here, I was hoping Miss Poppy was back,but no such luck.

Alan sounds like a real gem,so I'm glad she found him to help her through these bad spells.

We Miss You Poppy ! I hope each day shows more improvement and you are soon able to come back .  :)

DARN

When I saw all the posts from here, I was hoping Miss Poppy was back,but no such luck.

Alan sounds like a real gem,so I'm glad she found him to help her through these bad spells.

We Miss You Poppy ! I hope each day shows more improvement and you are soon able to come back .  :)

Me too Julie , i thought yay she must be feeling better. It's good to know she's being well looked after though & hopefully she'll be back soon as it doesn't feel the same without her  :flowers2:

Kay suffers from ME and is currently going through a bad attack. I spoke to Alan online a while ago and he was hopeful that the spell wouldn't last too long, but they vary in length so it's just a case of her resting and getting better again. I think we all miss her loads - she's such good company. :)

The above is from her blog. :)

Thanks Janet; it's good to know, even if it's not good news.  I have a couple of friends who both have ME, and it's brutal, so best wishes to Kay.  As you say, miss her loads.

Oh I know what cfs, I have two friends with it. I didn't know it was a.k.a ME.

I hope you get well very soon poppyshake! Miss you loads as well. 

• 1 month later...

You know you've been ill when you find your bookblog languishing way down on page 2 :) .. and it started so well too. I've hardly read anything since mid Feb so at least I'm only as behind with my reviews as I was before .. every cloud and all that.

Thank you for all your messages and get well wishes xx I've missed coming here so much. Life has been a trial .. I'm not liking what 2013 has thrown at me so far but the sun is out, I've read at least one chapter of a book and I've eaten cake so things could be worse.

My big news is .. and I don't want you to faint or anything .. is that I have a Kindle Fire! Alan bought me it, it hasn't got any books on it, he bought me it because we had no portable way of accessing the internet. Our computers are all in the .. computer room (which is just a spare room full of junk) and when I was confined to bed I wasn't able to read my messages or emails etc so Alan decided to get the Kindle Fire .. thinking it'll be more useful to me than an ordinary laptop. I haven't yet downloaded a book but I've lobbed a lot of angry birds at piggies so the purchase has not been wasted.

Please tell me about all the good books you've been reading .. I am all behind with what's new. I did get some lovely books for my birthday in Feb but didn't open them until last week as was too ill to celebrate at the time. I will list them soon. I need to dust off my camera and get some good pics .. my Mum won't be happy until I've posted my latest cake on facebook :)

PS: You're right .. I was and am very well looked after .. Alan deserves a medal. He will be so pleased I am here chatting to you because .. since chatting came back on the menu .. I have chatted him almost to death :) We have continued with our Van Gogh reading .. though Alan has been reading it to me instead of the reverse. Vincent has got to a very sad time in his life now though and so we've left off for a bit .. it wasn't conducive to chirpiness. I meant to say that, although I haven't read anything, I have listened to a few books .. The Hobbit .. which was a re-read and Clare Balding's biog (My Animals and other Family) which is wonderful. Miranda Hart's too (Is It Just Me?) which I didn't enjoy much although I love her usually .. maybe my mood wasn't right.

Yay! Poppyshake is back! All is right with my world again. :) I have missed you so much. I'm glad you're on the mend and are well enough to come and chat. Take care.  :friends3: