Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

Oh. And you know what? I really miss your previous reading log... Whenever I went to comment on it or check out the first page for different lists, I would see your comment after one of the links to one of your previous reading logs and it said something like 'Thanks Janet! It once was lost but now is found..' and I assume that's from the one song (is it a hymn?) and it always made me laugh and go all 'awwwww' :D I miss having that!

Edit: This:

Books read 2010 - it once was lost but now is found .. thank you Janet :friends0:

:D:friends3:

Awwwww! :D

It's from the hymn Amazing Grace. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Kay should take a photo of the latter... whilst sitting on a trapeze! :giggle2:

Fabulous idea! :D And if she fell (which she wouldn't, she's obviously a natural talent!), there'd be snow to cushion her landing :D

Awwwww! :D

It's from the hymn Amazing Grace. :)

Ah yes, of course! Now that you said it, I feel silly I didn't figure it out earlier :D

Your colourdy shelf is BEAUTIFUL (I used to colour gradient my books, too, when I had shelves!) and I LOVE the Snow Child photo! :D

Thanks Noll, it keeps me out of mischief .. mostly :D

I too love all your book sock photos!

Thanks Devi, my feet must be the most well read feet in the country :D

Oh but you see, it's the best kind of waffle! Whenever I read anything written by you, I end up laughing out loud. And you know what they say: a laugh a day keeps the doctor away! (or was it that they'll come and take you away, to the loonybin?)

I'm very glad, it's good to laugh .. it stops all sorts of things falling off. Any amount is good, it's only if your laughter ends in sobbing hysterics that the men in white coats come and not even then .. Alan is reduced to that often but if you stick him in a room on his own he's soon himself again.

And who says we've been mercifully saved from Eastenders?! It was all well and good years before when we only got Emmerdale. I was even quite a big fan for a few years. That was the time before and a bit after the huge bus crash (?) in the village where a lot of people were killed, some were even key characters of the show.

roykelly.jpg

Sigh... I was a big fan of Roy :wub: And was devastated when he left the village, it wasn't the same without him. I liked Kelly, too, although she was a bit of a ... difficult person. And I remember she was one of the first people of whom I realised that some people actually say 'fink' when they mean 'think' and 'nothin-K' when they mean 'nothing'. Oh man, I learned a lot about different accents from Emmerdale!

Oh, I feel I should apologise on behalf of a nation :D I had no idea that we cluttered up your screens with our soaps. I haven't watched Emmerdale in a while, I dip in and out of all of the soaps but I did watch it around the time you're talking about. Roy was nice .. Kelly was a bit of a minx .. I can hear her voice now. I think she vamped it up bigtime later on and became a sort of young Joan Collins figure .. avaricious and scheming (Adele, who played her, is quite good at cooking, I've seen her on a lot of cooking shows since. She still acts as well, I haven't seen the guy who played Roy though :( .. perhaps he's not good at cooking :D) Yes, you certainly get a range of accents in Emmerdale .. good practice for when you come.

Where was I... yes, we only had Emmerdale at first, but in recent years we've gotten thinks like Hollyoaks, and... well there are loads but I just can't remember the names at the moment, and yes, we have Eastenders! I don't know what I'm rolling my eyes for, I've never watched it to be honest.

You haven't missed much .. it's all doom and gloom. Alan won't have it on, he wouldn't stop me from watching it if I wanted to but he couldn't stay in the same room .. he hates all the shouting and yet he loves a good ole shoot em up.

I'd quite forgotten there was a TV series! Maybe that's a good thing. Oh bugger that Colin Firth, he always surfaces one way or another and then it's too difficult to remember what one was doing before. You know, when I was leafing through the Faulks book, I realised that bloody hell, he's going on about books that are on my TBR pile or on my wishlist. So is he going to now spoil them all for me? How am I supposed to know if I'm good to read the book and if I'm not. Should I read all the books mentioned in the books before I start it? That would take decades!! Also, it's not as conversational and easy to get into as I was hoping for, this Faulks chap seems rather serious about his books :blush:

Yes Colin, more distracting than Borat in his mankini :D (but far more easy on the eye). Faulk's book is quite serious, it's not very chatty and the programme was similar. Certainly in the series he spoiled a lot of plots so I would skip over any parts that are mentioning books you want to read but haven't yet. You might need to have eyes in the back of your head for that, I suppose he can hardly talk about the stories without going into some detail. He mentioned a rape that had taken place in one book and I thought that's done it, but I can't remember the book now so possibly it will still take me by surprise. The blessings of a poor memory :D

Ah yes, I remember some people saying before that A. S. Byatt is intimidating. Poor woman. But it's her own fault really, isn't it? I think Alan would be well pleased if you didn't read anything by her ever again. It might prove to be too stressing for you and for him.

He will have forgotten, he knew the book cover more than he knew the title or author .. it has a lovely Lalique brooch on the front. I think if he was to see that brooch or a representation of it he'd probably start quivering but that's unlikely now. I will keep him away from Antiques Roadshow just incase :D

You're welcome! And I did see on GR that you've actually finished it already. Woman, you're on fire! I will be looking forward to your review. But be honest, do not for once consider my feelings, I don't have any, you can say about the book whatever you like

I'm doing quite well and am pleased but January is always pretty fair for reading, what with the nights drawing in and such (Northern hemispherically speaking). I will be writing the review soon hopefully, I scribbled some thoughts down yesterday morning after I'd finished it (just need to simmer them on the stove for a few hours now and strain them :D) I enjoyed it a lot, it's very special .. words cannot describe how much I loved Misha .. but I'm going to have to make them.

Sounds promising! Louise sounds like a great gal, she has an excellent taste in books, heheh!

She is a great girl and we like the same books which is nice, we do bookswaps quite often.

Ah, thank you! What do you call the Scots then, in return. Or should I not ask. I don't want you to make any enemies on here!

I'm not sure, I think we're too polite ;)

I love the copy! And I don't know why, but I think it's perfect for the play. Brilliant.

I also loved your review on it, it was so spot on!

Thank you :friends0:I like the cover too, it is somehow perfect for it as you say.

I agree! When I went to the library to pick up a copy to read, I started reading through the first few pages and got right into it, I could've just sat down and read it through. I love it when a book's like that. And I used to think all plays are difficult to read!

I should read more plays, I hardly ever do. Apart from the fact that it was sensational, I liked how intimate it was, Shakespeare has you going all over the place with all sorts of people (and lets not talk about the language.) Still I must make the effort to read more of his plays because they are rewarding.

Exactly! It was like watching a car accident: you want to quit watching, go away and get help, but at the same time you can't help but look on and see what happens. I can't for the life of me understand why Nick and Honey stayed for so long, but then again they must've been so wasted they didn't know what was good for them. Or maybe they are pseudo-Finns: we always cheer when we know there's a 'free booze party', meaning the drinks will be on the host/hostess or some organization and you can just go in and get hammered. (Yes, we are quite bad that way, some of us. Not me of course.)

It was already so late though wasn't it when they came?, I was already stressing on that and then Martha and George were already sniping at each other, in Honey's position I would have hated it and be making 'let's go soon' eyes at Alan. The booze did for them though, a few glasses and they unravelled.

It is a rather cheering prospect if you go anywhere and the booze is on the house but that doesn't happen very often these days. Now, even at weddings and celebration parties its mostly buy your own drinks (and at high prices too) .. but then people can take advantage and go mad. Alan's work once had a party and the drinks were on the house and some people started drinking double this and treble that .. drinks they never would buy normally and then, of course, they got unreasonable and started picking fights and kissing inappropriate people. I didn't know before that they were psuedo-Finns :D (although we added the aggro .. that's a Brit trait :roll2:) Anyway, that was the last of the work parties.

The other problem was that George and Martha didn't exactly stay offending themselves only, they said some pretty nasty stuff to Nick and Honey, too, and about them! At that point I would've been insulted as a guest and would've taken off.

Yes, most people would I think, you'd have to be very thick skinned (or blotto) not to be offended.

I'm happy you read the play because now I have someone I can ask:

What do you think was behind George getting upset when Martha would talk about their son? Why would he want her to shut up about him? I either completely missed something that was said or then I completely missed something that wasn't said but I was supposed to be able to figure out on my own.

Well there wasn't a son was there. He was just one of their delusions. Something else they had failed at but didn't want to face up to. George warned Martha not to talk about him in front of others (although they both ignored this warning during the evening) and because she did he killed him off for good. That was my take on it anyway.

A great review! I've noticed this here and there and everywhere on the forum and I've been curious about it, but I don't like circuses so I've never felt compelled to read it. But your review made me think otherwise and I've now added this to my wishlist :D

Circuses are evil aren't they? :D I don't like them and have never wanted to go (I'm glad though that, for the most part, they are animal free now .. I hate all that making a bear dance or elephant stand on a bucket or whatever ... very cruel). I've never particularly wanted to read about them either but this is something quite other .. I hope you will like it (you'll know within a few pages .. it starts very much as it means to go on :))

Yeah you are... You needed just a bit of egging on... :giggle2: Well done chalie!!

Heheh .. you know, as soon as she said it, I knew I had to do it. And now Janet is suggesting trapezes and though I've pooh-poohed it I'll probably be asking Alan to rig one up in a tree tomorrow :D

I'm in love with these shelves as ever... Sigh! What a pleasure to the eye. You can come and re-organize my bookcases whenever you want!

I'm always tinkering with it in a way that I wouldn't if they were alphabetized (but then I'm hopeless at that too.) I bought three purple books on Sunday :blush2: I feel bad now it's out in the open. They weren't on my wishlist :blush2: I didn't buy them ONLY because they were purple .. but mostly :blush2: And now I have them and there's not enough of them to make a display and you know what that means? On the plus side I might read some great books I never would have thought of otherwise :blush2:

So.... did you? :giggle:

I seem to have sat in the snow without any ill effects at all, it might even have done me some good.

Beautiful! Now I know why it had to snow in the UK! :D

Yes I was wondering why it had until I looked back at my books'n'feet pics :D Nature hates inconsistency :D

Love the pics Poppy especially the feet they look so relaxed perhaps we could swap lives for a week i could get plenty of cosy reading time & you could be chief cook & bottle washer for the week :D

Aww thanks KM :) I do do bottle washing and head cheffing but only for me and Al so it can't be called hard work (though I often do :D) There are very few benefits for being the wife of a long distance shift worker, or being without children, but I do believe this may be one of them. I get lots of reading time. Some of the time Alan is asleep and I have to be quiet (not easy .. I do slam so) and books are quiet occupations. The pics lie because I'm probably one of the most unrelaxed people ever. We saw one of those wooden signs that say 'Follow Your Dreams' today and Alan said 'don't .. you'll end up in the looney bin' :D

So, how on earth do you find anything?!

Mostly I manage but it doesn't worry me if I have to search a bit for a book .. it's one of the things that doesn't irritate me (and that list is quite short so miracle really). I do know where most of my books are .. or I've got an inkling but the only books I really need to find instantly are cookery books and they are .. sort of .. sorted.

I think she has this secret, special application. She'll say the name of a book out loud and then the book in question starts reading off itself from chapter 1, out loud. David Mitchell is the narrator voice. :yes:

Although that way you wouldn't actually want to find any book, you'd only want to search for them... :D

I would love my own personal narrator and David would be perfect .. though I'm thinking he might rant if he didn't approve of book or subject :D

Oh. And you know what? I really miss your previous reading log... Whenever I went to comment on it or check out the first page for different lists, I would see your comment after one of the links to one of your previous reading logs and it said something like 'Thanks Janet! It once was lost but now is found..' and I assume that's from the one song (is it a hymn?) and it always made me laugh and go all 'awwwww' :D I miss having that!

Yes, Janet is right :) Amazing Grace. Bless her she rootled around in the BCF bins to find that booklog. I miss my old logs (though I haven't had a chance to miss last years yet .. I keep having to go there for reviews) it doesn't quite feel like home yet here .. that's why I put some pics up .. brighten the place up a bit. I've nearly done all of this year's reviews :o very odd .. that can't last.

How bad is it .. on a scale of one to ten .. if you buy a book for your great-niece and then .. because it looks like a very nice book and you've long wanted to read it but it's a book for littlies so you haven't necessarily had the opportunity before .. sort of read it before sending? .. in a very careful .. not opening the book very wide and definitely not eating or drinking or doing anything sticky .. type way? :blush2:

Fabulous idea! :D And if she fell (which she wouldn't, she's obviously a natural talent!), there'd be snow to cushion her landing :D

Hahaha :D ... the possibilites are endless .. though what could I do for Sexing the Cherry? :o:D

You'd definitely need to put that one behind spoiler tags! :giggle2:

How bad is it .. on a scale of one to ten .. if you buy a book for your great-niece and then .. because it looks like a very nice book and you've long wanted to read it but it's a book for littlies so you haven't necessarily had the opportunity before .. sort of read it before sending? .. in a very careful .. not opening the book very wide and definitely not eating or drinking or doing anything sticky .. type way? :blush2:

I should think that's fairly standard practice amongst bookie people! :D

I've read through your previous posts and have laughed my poor behind off again :D Thank you for the first laughs of the day! I'll get back to replying to them later.

Well first of all, have you licked it? If you have, it's as good as yours and you can't pass it along.

But if you read it without opening the book too wide so as to avoid spine crackage, and if you don't put any toast crumbs in between pages, I think you should be fine to read it before you present it to your great-niece :yes:

Edit: Oh and I want to know which are the three purple books you bought! :)

I should think that's fairly standard practice amongst bookie people! :D

Thanks Janet, I feel better about it now :)

Well first of all, have you licked it? If you have, it's as good as yours and you can't pass it along.

But if you read it without opening the book too wide so as to avoid spine crackage, and if you don't put any toast crumbs in between pages, I think you should be fine to read it before you present it to your great-niece :yes:

Thanks frankie :) I didn't lick it .. I didn't dare breathe on it even. Luckily the writing was quite big .. so I didn't have to squint too much into the tiny little gap that I'd opened in order to read it. I couldn't help but feel bad about it though .. it's been pre-loved :blush2:

Edit: Oh and I want to know which are the three purple books you bought! :)

I will be sure to post it here later :):blush2:

Thanks frankie :) I didn't lick it .. I didn't dare breathe on it even. Luckily the writing was quite big .. so I didn't have to squint too much into the tiny little gap that I'd opened in order to read it. I couldn't help but feel bad about it though .. it's been pre-loved :blush2:

Pre-loved ... :D But think about it this way: you pre-loved it, so there's all the more love to share in the book? :smile2:

I will be sure to post it here later :):blush2:

I want details now :D:blush: [imagine a 31 year old frankie doing a temper tantrum at 11.23 PM]

marypoppins.jpg

Mary Poppins - P.L. Travers

Amazon Synopsis: The Banks children, Jane and Michael, change nannies just about as often as most people change their clothes. It’s not that they’re naughty, exactly – just awkward. Everyone in the household is at their wits’ end with them – until Mary Poppins arrives… The Classic tale from P.L Travers.

This, the first book about Mary Poppins, will be familiar to everyone who has seen the film. For it is in this book that Jane and Michael draw up their advertisement for a nanny, and Mary Poppins appears out of the sky with her parrot-headed umbrella which talks. She is strict but fair, slides happily up the banisters, and takes the children on the most extraordinary outings – to a funfair inside a pavement picture; to uncle Andrew who sails up to the ceiling when he laughs – which she firmly denies afterwards. Needless to say, the children are devastated when she leaves, but by then, they and their parents are far more of a family than they ever were before Mary Poppins appeared.

Review: I bought this for my great niece as it's her 8th birthday (actually it says for 9 year olds on the back but she likes to read and I think she'll cope with it). I was looking at it rather fondly when I got it home and thinking all sorts of warm fuzzy thoughts about kite flying and dancing chimney sweeps when I realised that I'd never read it. I knew it of course from the Disney movie but that's not the same thing is it? There were at least two days before it needed to be in the post .. hmmm .. perhaps I could have a tiny peek?, the opportunity is not likely to present itself again. If I'm very careful and ditch all my normal reading habits (which can involve waking up with a book stuck to my face with dribble) then Daisy will never know (unless she's a member on here :o no .. surely not? she's not that into reading yet :D) So, very, very, carefully I started to read it.

Actually it's not that much like the movie. It's probably a little darker in places and Mary is neither as attractive nor as good tempered as Disneyfied Mary (this one sniffs a lot :D). Some of my favourite scenes were missing (no nannies flying down the lane hanging on to railings, no chimney sweeps and no suffragette mum) but for all that I still liked it. It was quite exciting actually finding out what actually did happen when Mary Poppins came blowing in on the wind to stay at number seventeen Cherry Tree Lane. Bert just has a small part to play in the story and though Admiral Boom lives in a ship shaped house .. he doesn't fire a cannon twice a day and so there's none of that hilarious holding on to furniture and ornaments and stuff which still tickles me whenever I see it. There are though curious night visits to the zoo, a very strange gingerbread shop with an owner who breaks off her fingers to give to the children to suck :o .. they are made of barley sugar :D and a Christmas shopping trip with a star who's just popped down from her constellation, to buy gifts for the other stars.

Oh and, joy of joys, it had a toast quote in it .. hoorah! It would be a great story to read out loud to a child, lots of good accents to get your teeth into. Some of the language is a bit outdated but then so am I so it wasn't a problem (and hopefully Daisy won't find it one). Mary Shepard .. who was the daughter of E.H. Shepard (illustrator of, amongst other books, Winnie the Pooh) did the illustrations.

4/5

Pre-loved ... :D But think about it this way: you pre-loved it, so there's all the more love to share in the book? :smile2:

Yes, I'm sure she will like all the very same pages as I did because all my chuckles got trapped :)

I want details now :D [imagine a 31 year old frankie doing a temper tantrum at 11.23 PM]

Haha .. sorry frankie, I forgot how frustrating it can be not to know the titles of books bought.

There's probably no point in me saying that I really did want to read these books (and me adding them to Goodreads later won't convince you either :D) However, their purpleness was the draw. Except for .. quite curiously .. one of them .. which was distinctly purple in the shop (honestly you never ever did see such purpleyness) .. turned blue when I got it home :D I suspect fairy magic to be honest and I'm going to go careful in Waterstone's in future because now that they know my weakness they may try and fob me off with all sorts of wrongly coloured books.

Anyway, purple book No. 1 is Susan Hill's The Man in the Picture .. now I haven't even heard of it to be honest but I like reading Susan .. especially in the winter (ha .. bet I don't look at it before July :D) and so being Susan and purple seemed like a good enough reason.

Book No. 2 was Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont .. well, I have been wanting to read her for a while (honest ;)), whenever I read about women novelists her name comes up and I've heard good things so hopefully this is as good a place to start as any. This one is lilac .. which gives me nice toning :blush2:

Book No. 3 is J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey .. which is the one that has turned out to be blue. I'm probably in the minority in liking The Catcher in the Rye but I got on fine with it and always intended to read more from him .. it had better be good now that it's not purple :D

Mary Poppins!! :wub: I read some of the books as a kid and loved them, also watched the movie... I've wanted to re-read at least the first book for such a long time! :blush: I'm sure your great-niece will love the book! :smile2:

Yes there are more aren't there? Mary comes back again. I wouldn't rule out buying this for myself actually because I loved reading it and it's a very handsome orangey colour :D I could get toast crumbs in it next time around :D

Yes, I'm sure she will like all the very same pages as I did because all my chuckles got trapped

I'm sure of it! :yes:

There's probably no point in me saying that I really did want to read these books (and me adding them to Goodreads later won't convince you either) However, their purpleness was the draw.

I promise I believe you only picked them for their color :yes: (And because they also were books you would like to read :D)

Except for .. quite curiously .. one of them .. which was distinctly purple in the shop (honestly you never ever did see such purpleyness) .. turned blue when I got it home. I suspect fairy magic to be honest and I'm going to go careful in Waterstone's in future because now that they know my weakness they may try and fob me off with all sorts of wrongly coloured books.

How on earth did that happen? :D It's a bit like buying a new blouse in a shop and then when you put it on for the first time and go out, it's a different colour. I guess the same happened with the book, and they are not even going to try and solve that problem because it's a book and they don't expect anyone to complain about the changing color. Little did they know there are people who color co-ordinate their bookshelves... :lol:

Anyway, purple book No. 1 is Susan Hill's The Man in the Picture .. now I haven't even heard of it to be honest but I like reading Susan .. especially in the winter (ha .. bet I don't look at it before July) and so being Susan and purple seemed like a good enough reason.

I haven't heard of it either, is it a new one? I'm as ignorant as to not know if Susan Hill is still alive. Oh no wait, she has to be, because her novel The Small Hand was published only a few years ago.

Book No. 2 was Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont .. well, I have been wanting to read her for a while (honest), whenever I read about women novelists her name comes up and I've heard good things so hopefully this is as good a place to start as any. This one is lilac .. which gives me nice toning

Again, I feel rather stupid... This is not the Elizabeth Taylor? But an author by the same name?

Book No. 3 is J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey .. which is the one that has turned out to be blue. I'm probably in the minority in liking The Catcher in the Rye but I got on fine with it and always intended to read more from him .. it had better be good now that it's not purple

Oh I think it will be good :) I've never disliked The Catcher in the Rye, actually I didn't know anyone disliked the book until I read the thread on here.. But it's been so long that I honestly can't remember if I enjoyed it either, or whether it was just okay. I should re-read it and make my own mind up again. I have Franny and Zooey on my wishlist, and I think it's also a challenge read of mine of some sort... I'm not sure if it's on the 1001 Books list or the Rory challenge, or maybe even both.

A good haul, all in all! :)

Yes there are more aren't there? Mary comes back again. I wouldn't rule out buying this for myself actually because I loved reading it and it's a very handsome orangey colour :D I could get toast crumbs in it next time around :D

:D Indeed! And the next time you would read the book, you'd have all the more reason to lick it, just to get to the toast crumbs! (Oh that was a really silly joke, a very poor one :D)

Anyhow, I just checked Mary Poppins on wiki and at a quick glance I saw there are actually seven (??) sequels to the first novel?! :o I had no idea. Maybe one needs to take a more closer look at the site and see if they are all novels.

Book No. 2 was Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont .. well, I have been wanting to read her for a while (honest ;)), whenever I read about women novelists her name comes up and I've heard good things so hopefully this is as good a place to start as any. This one is lilac .. which gives me nice toning :blush2:

I've often see her mentioned too and keep meaning to read her, but haven't got round to it yet! I have, however, seen the film version of Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont with Joan Plowright, but I hadn't realised it was a book first. I'll be looking out for your review now :D